Become a Patron!

Nova 200W with Cerberus Subohm Tank - Geekvape

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Nova Kit from Geekvape. The Nova Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Carrie from Geekvape.

https://www.geekvape.com/project/nova-kit/

Introduction

Geekvape are well known for their flavour tanks, RDA's and RTA's but in more recent times have also got in on the act of bringing some devices out. The Nova is their latest device, it is a dual 18650 device with top wattage of 200w and has a retro box shape look to it with panels which are 75% resin giving each device a slightly different look. The Nova Kit see's the Nova paired up with the Cerberus Subohm tank which comes supplied with 2 mesh coils and it also accommodates mainstream coils which is a big plus.

In the Box

Contents:

1 x GeekVape NOVA MOD
1 x Cerberus Sub-ohm Tank
1 x Super Mesh X1 Coil
1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 4ml
1 x USB Cable
1 x Spare Parts Pack
1 x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Nova isn't one for those into their very ergonomic devices as it's a blast from the past shape wise with a very retro box shape look. The edges are not very rounded off but not sharp and it's ergonomic saving grace is it's very nice clicky fire button that has a lovely feel to it. The Nova looks very aesthetically pleasing in my opinion with it's resin side panels (one of which is removable) the resin covers 75% of each panel and is curved where it meets the colour of choice which in my case is a sandblasted Silver look, the resin is also ridged which adds a bit of originality over similar looking devices. The version i received is the Silver with Flare Resin, it's also available in the following, Silver with Ember Resin, Silver with Cobalt Resin, Silver with Onyx Resin, Black with Flare Resin, Gunmetal with Cobalt Resin, Gunmetal with Ember Resin and Gunmetal with Onyx Resin. The front of the device has a large round Silver (with machined finish) fire button at the top, towards the bottom in a vertical row we have the navigational buttons followed by the micro USB port, finally between the fire button and navigational buttons we have the coloured screen. The spine is featureless and the bottom has printed branding and safety stamps. Moving to the top and we have an oval (new one on me) 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The 510 isn't housed centrally or to one side but between the 2 which is a strange choice just like the choice of shape of the 510 plate. The Nova is mainly made of aluminium so is very lightweight, i have absolutely no complaints about it's build quality and there are no rattles whatsoever.

Cerberus Specs and Features:

Size: 27 x 46.8mm (25mm around base)
Capacity: 5.5ml(Extra 4ml regular glass tube included) TPD Edition available
Coil Type: Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm KA1(best at 60-80W)
Easy Top Filling Design
Innovative Super Mesh Coil for Optimal Flavor
Compatible with TFV8 Baby Coils
Adjustable Bottom Airflow Control
Thread: 510 thread
Colours: Stainless Steel, Gunmetal, Blue, Rainbow, Black

Cerberus Overview

The Cerberus Subohm tank is quite a short subohm tank which has a maximum capacity of 5.5ml with the bulge glass, there is also a 4ml straight glass and a TPD version which i guess will have a capacity reducing bung. The airflow control is duel cyclops with stopper and the fill method is top-fill, sitting on top is a low profile 810 drip tip with wide bore (you can fit another 810 if you wish). The Cerberus borrows the same type of top-cap as the 2 Zeus RTA's, so a bayonet fitting needing just a quarter turn to open or secure shut. Both top and base of the tank has nut style knurling which is as much aesthetic as really needed for grip as all the tolerances on the tank are spot on. The Cerberus comes with 2 mesh coils which are justifiably all the rage at the moment, they are the Mesh X1 kanthal coils with a resistance of 0.2ohm. The coils are rated at between 30w and 90w with best being between 60w and 80w, a big pro for the Cerberus is Baby Beast coils will fit which means there are many mainstream coils compatible with the tank.

Nova Specs and Features:

Size: 88 x 52 x 25mm
Power output: 5-200W
Chipset: Advanced AS chip
Fire Speed: 10ms
Output mode: VW/VPC/TC/TCR/BYPASS
Resistance range: 0.05-3.0ohm
Material: Aluminum alloy + Resin
Battery: 2x 18650 cells (not included)
Temperature Range: 100-315℃/200-600℉
200W Powerful MOD with Compact Size and Attractive Colors
Unique Resign & Metal Construction with Great Visual Enjoyment
Advanced AS Chip with Safe and Stable Performance
Colours: Silver with Ember Resin, Silver with Cobalt Resin, Silver with Onyx Resin, Silver with Flare Resin, Black with Flare Resin, Gunmetal with Cobalt Resin, Gunmetal with Ember Resin, Gunmetal with Onyx Resin

Fitting the Batteries

One of the 2 side panels with resin finish is removable, it can be identified by a notch on the upper right corner which you use to help remove the panel. Once removed there is more sandblasted Silver finish in evidence along with a white plastic battery tray, it's very neat and tidy indeed. The inside of the panel has a number of small strong magnets that secure against the aluminium finish as there are no visible magnets inside the compartment. Overall a really good job has been done, the batteries fit very securely without feeling you are in danger of damaging your wraps and there is also a battery ribbon to help remove them. Orientation is just White on White, this really needs to be Black to make it clear. There is very slight movement with the battery door but compared to most devices with a removable panel it's very slight and doesn't move without physical help.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Using the Nova 200W

The Nova is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and it has a large bright screen with a very clear layout. There are some combination key press functions which are, + and fire together increases the brightness of the screen, - and fire together decreases the brightness of the screen and - and + together locks the device but the device will still fire. The screen displays the mode at the top, under this the wattage (temperature when in temp control), under this the 2 battery status bars, then the resistance, under this the volts (wattage when in temp control), then the amps (TCR value when in temp control) and finally puffs which when you vape changes to time vaped and then goes back to puffs afterwards. Pressing the fire button 3 times highlights the mode which now can be changed. When highlighted each press of the + button takes you to the next mode and if you overshoot the - button takes you back, the modes are Power, TC-Ni, TC-SS, TC-Ti, TCR, VPC (variable power curve, usually called CCW) and Bypass. If you use temp control then when the mode you want is highlighted each press of the fire button takes you to the next item on the screen you can alter, you can lock resistance and set wattage. The interface is very uncomplicated and those that have the Aegis Legend will be very familiar with it. Like the Legend it also has a colour screen but unless i'm missing something there is no option to change colour.

My Experience With the Nova Kit

I used the Nova device with both the supplied Cerberus tank and a couple of others and like the Legend Aegis i am a fan of how it performed for me. Because i have the original Aegis i possibly didn't use the Legend as long as i would normally before writing the review and battery life seemed ok. Afterwards it become obvious battery life was not as good as average so on and off i have been using the Nova quite a bit to make sure there are no issues this time around with the battery life and i can confirm battery issues have been sorted as the Nova's battery life is good. I don't vape with temp control and don't have access to data but certainly in power mode the Nova seemed accurate at all wattage's i vaped at and it fired instantly with impressive ramp up. The mesh coil supplied with the Cerberus gave great flavour as i would expect with a mesh coil but unlike a lot of mesh coils where i find i need to vape them at the upper rating for best flavour i found the X1 great at only 60W, although using at higher wattage didn't see a decrease in flavour i didn't see any benefits unless you like a warm vape. As always i loved using the curves feature and the fire button is one of the most clickiest i have come across. On the negative side as already mentioned the ergonomics are not the best and tanks over 25mm will overhang. The Nova supports on-board charging and is fully firmware upgradeable.

Pros

Aesthetically pleasing
Good build quality
No rattles
Very nice battery compartment
Performed well for me in power mode
Curves
Temp control
Fires Instantly
Most clicky fire button i have used
Nice display
Easy menu system
Resin unique with each device
Cerberus 5.5ml capacity
Supplied mesh coils great flavour
Compatible with mainstream coils
Good battery life
Firmware upgradeable.

Cons

Not very ergonomic
Poor marked battery orientation
Colour screen but no different colour options for display
Tanks over 25mm will overhang
slight movement battery panel (but not without physical encouragement so not a big issue)

Pro or Con depending on point of view

The oval plate might be a pro for some liking it's originality but others will just not like it especially as it doesn't bring any benefits.
Position of 510 is not to the side or central, again some will like it's position, some won't and the rest really won't care.

I would once again like to thank Carrie from Geekvape for supplying the Nova Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://www.geekvape.com/project/nova-kit/

VU Sponsors