Become a Patron!

OBS Crius problems

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So my Crowns are not getting retired just yet. Very nice quality. Substantial parts. Crius not so much. Everything is thinner. It's nice though cause it makes it lighter.

So, I stripped my threads on the base. Wet vapes gave me a new top. I thought that was great. The tank I'm running now seems OK. But the threads of the new top are stripped again.

I inspected everything when I got it. The treads are very fine. But most are. However, there is a lot of play for such fine threads. I have been very careful not to overtighten.

I was playing with the replacement last night. Waiting on wire to build. Put it back together. Threads are smooth. Not crossthreading. Feel the o-ring compress. Feel resistance get slightly snug. Done.

Go to take it apart this morning to show a coworker. Base won't come off. Just spins. Pull a bit, comes off, you can tell threads are jacked. Take a look, stripped.

The clearances are too big. One part is bigger than other. That's a design/QC problem. Can't trust stripped threads on the base. Can't use threads that strip with the slightest of tension. I also know they say the tank is SS, but it looks like aluminum. Proper fine SS threads are more than adequate. I'll call Wet Vapes Monday and see what they say.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A couple other folks have said their AFC valve on the black one is way too tight to turn. I'll let them speak for themselves. Both mine have been rather loose. Moves to easy. I wish there were detents.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with them putting out a 'v1','v2'and 'v3' so quickly, retooling a shop and throwing out that many variables in such a short time can't exactly be good for consistency.
I pifd my v1 and it was fine, my v2 vaped fantastic but the "enlarged postholes" are not as 'enlarged' as some others I've seen and the tank does spin a little loose. I have a v3 base on the way, so well see.
But, the vape itself is Stellar!
Still far from ideal from a qc point of view.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So how about the rest of you? What base are you running, and how tight can you screw it down? Do you feel like yours is a regular part with regular threads that tighten as expected? Or has anyone else noticed you can keep turning and it won't stop?

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I have a stainless version with enlarged post holes. It is a dream in all aspects. Threads are smooth, and the juice control ring turns smoothly even with the tank off
I also have black with velocity deck. The threads are not as smooth as the ss version and the juice control ring is much tighter. I can only turn it when the tank is on.

Strange for sure. Both provide stellar vapes in terms of production and flavor. I want to try a ss version with velocity deck to see what if any differences there are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have a stainless version with enlarged post holes. It is a dream in all aspects. Threads are smooth, and the juice control ring turns smoothly even with the tank off
I also have black with velocity deck. The threads are not as smooth as the ss version and the juice control ring is much tighter. I can only turn it when the tank is on.

Strange for sure. Both provide stellar vapes in terms of production and flavor. I want to try a ss version with velocity deck to see what if any differences there are

When I return one for replacement, maybe I will ask for a SS/V3

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with them putting out a 'v1','v2'and 'v3' so quickly, retooling a shop and throwing out that many variables in such a short time can't exactly be good for consistency.
I pifd my v1 and it was fine, my v2 vaped fantastic but the "enlarged postholes" are not as 'enlarged' as some others I've seen and the tank does spin a little loose. I have a v3 base on the way, so well see.
But, the vape itself is Stellar!
Still far from ideal from a qc point of view.
Seems reasonable. The guy that cut one up showed the base was press fit. Seems like they would be messing with just the deck. But anything is possible.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK, I'm a dumb ass.

I inspected all my tanks. I bought 1 that I screwed up. Bought 2 more and a base. Wet vapes gave me a new top. That's 4 total tanks. All are good.

After looking at the part of the tank that screws to the base, they have very fine threads. And not much meat. Like 2 threads on the tank. Below that, bottom of tank, is the seat for the o-ring.

Above that is a cut out for the treads of the base. It looks rough. Looks like stripped threads. Looks like treads were there.

Now, when I turn tank, glass, it spins but it's rough. I THOUGHT that was the tank spinning on stripped threads. It's NOT. It's the tank spinning on the base. The base is press fit. And the two parts are spinning.

When holding the glass, and the bottom ring of the base, all 4 of my tanks tighten together tight. After that, all 4 of my bases spin when holding the glass and AFC ring. It looks like the whole base is turning, but it isn't.

With all the things you guys have said with your AFC, I suspect this is what it's doing for you too.

Now the only problem is if the base is sealed or not. If the tank is spinning on the base, at a press fit joint, then that can leak. What I thought was booger ed threads, I think is a base that is turning where I don't think it's suppose to turn.

Meaning.... I thought you tighten tank, then back it off to do juice holes. But you can turn the tank and do juice holes, and the tank never loosens from the base. Now that makes sense cause you don't want to loosen seal. But if it is all spinning in the base, and it's rough, I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
OK, I'm a dumb ass.

I inspected all my tanks. I bought 1 that I screwed up. Bought 2 more and a base. Wet vapes gave me a new top. That's 4 total tanks. All are good.

After looking at the part of the tank that screws to the base, they have very fine threads. And not much meat. Like 2 threads on the tank. Below that, bottom of tank, is the seat for the o-ring.

Above that is a cut out for the treads of the base. It looks rough. Looks like stripped threads. Looks like treads were there.

Now, when I turn tank, glass, it spins but it's rough. I THOUGHT that was the tank spinning on stripped threads. It's NOT. It's the tank spinning on the base. The base is press fit. And the two parts are spinning.

When holding the glass, and the bottom ring of the base, all 4 of my tanks tighten together tight. After that, all 4 of my bases spin when holding the glass and AFC ring. It looks like the whole base is turning, but it isn't.

With all the things you guys have said with your AFC, I suspect this is what it's doing for you too.

Now the only problem is if the base is sealed or not. If the tank is spinning on the base, at a press fit joint, then that can leak. What I thought was booger ed threads, I think is a base that is turning where I don't think it's suppose to turn.

Meaning.... I thought you tighten tank, then back it off to do juice holes. But you can turn the tank and do juice holes, and the tank never loosens from the base. Now that makes sense cause you don't want to loosen seal. But if it is all spinning in the base, and it's rough, I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not.
Yes you are correct
The tank assembles with the top, glass and bottom chimney portion.
The tank assembly threads onto the juice control ring which is pressed on the base
There is also a small oring on the juice control ring to prevent leaks between the base and juice control
Once the tank is threaded onto the juice control/ base assembly, it will spin freely 360 degrees to control the juice.
Hope that helps

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I read some place else that you loosen the tank to do juice and that small amount of loosening won't cause leak. So that was what was in my head this whole time.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I read some place else that you loosen the tank to do juice and that small amount of loosening won't cause leak. So that was what was in my head this whole time.
It's true you can loosen the tank assembly a bit without breaking the seal but I'm not sure why one would want to do so unless their OCD needs the inscribed lettering and fill port lined up lolol

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes you are correct
The tank assembles with the top, glass and bottom chimney portion.
The tank assembly threads onto the juice control ring which is pressed on the base
There is also a small oring on the juice control ring to prevent leaks between the base and juice control
Once the tank is threaded onto the juice control/ base assembly, it will spin freely 360 degrees to control the juice.
Hope that helps

So then, if the tank spins in the base... Which makes perfect sense... How is it sealed? I can't turn the deck in the base. And if it is made that way, then why is it kinda rough? A metal fit isn't going to seal. Oring will wear out. You can't take the base apart.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Look real closely where the juice ring (tank off) is. This is where the tank attaches. There is a small clear oring that mates right up to the base. It is deep into the juice ring. It's tough to see without aided light

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, I was looking at that. Hard to see in there. Figured there would have to be a ring. But not all that cool to have a ring at a moving joint that can't be replaced.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
My thought too. I took that oring out to see if any of the provided spare parts were one of those. No go. I'm thinking that may be a weak part of this tank but do far it's holding up on both of mine. The leaks I've gotten were due to my own wicking issues or if the tank gets super hot during high wattage chain vaping. Then it may drip a bit out of the air flow holes

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's a small clearance. I assets you dug it out with a pic of some sort. Did you tear it up getting it out? That's what usually happens.

Anyway, I feel pretty silly. Wet Vapes was really cool to me. I'll have to ask them if they want their top back. :) But as it stands, I have 4 tanks and about 200 feet of wire coming. Hopefully next week. It's on like donkey kong when it gets here. :)

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
That's a small clearance. I assets you dug it out with a pic of some sort. Did you tear it up getting it out? That's what usually happens.

Anyway, I feel pretty silly. Wet Vapes was really cool to me. I'll have to ask them if they want their top back. :) But as it stands, I have 4 tanks and about 200 feet of wire coming. Hopefully next week. It's on like donkey kong when it gets here. :)
I have a really pointed dental pick that I bent one end to a 90 degree. No damage done while removing it.
You will def be in Crius overload when everything gets there

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I went looking for problems and the only thing I saw was a known insulator cracking problem. Some are bad enough to leak. Some not. I have 1 out of 4 that's cracked. A little chip. Maybe another with a tiny Crack. But certainly intact. Doesn't bother me. It's a well known problem and OBS has worked on fixing it. If your insulator is cracked, wet vapes will replace it. The base. I'm sure other retailers will too.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I went looking for problems and the only thing I saw was a known insulator cracking problem. Some are bad enough to leak. Some not. I have 1 out of 4 that's cracked. A little chip. Maybe another with a tiny Crack. But certainly intact. Doesn't bother me. It's a well known problem and OBS has worked on fixing it. If your insulator is cracked, wet vapes will replace it. The base. I'm sure other retailers will too.
Nice. I'll tear mine down tmwr and do a close inspection of the insulator

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine is cracked, and it leaks badly. I contacted Cvapor, where I bought it, and I'm waiting to see if they'll replace it.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Mine is cracked, and it leaks badly. I contacted Cvapor, where I bought it, and I'm waiting to see if they'll replace it.
Stupid question but where is this insulator that you speak of lolol

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
43e04084f05560b63412fdcb6d94ec40.jpg

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
LOL I think I took that when I was changing the cotton and dry burning!
Hahahha. I can't imagine what my new 26 twisted looks like after 3 days of heavy vaping at 60 watts. I will find out in the morning.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A response from OSB was that if it was cracked, that wasn't necessarily a problem. But some like Amanda leak from it, and others have actually had pieces coming off. I don't think mine is a problem. I would call it even with wet vapes giving me a tank I didn't need. And ya, it's ceramic not peek.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Just checked my insulator. Yup it appears cracked as well. Not sure if it's an issue or not but will see what happens over time
6efc9025835bdfd4d20fa6e7e88d95df.jpg

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
*hmph* Poor threading (possibly) and insulators that crack and break up? That's kind of disappointing and not the kind of thing that does a manufacturer's reputation any good.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Mine doesn't look quite that bad. If it insulates it's not a problem. If it is causing a leak, then ya.
Well it appears to insulate correctly. No shorts but it is starting to seep more than usual. I did sent an inquiry to OBS this am in regards to this and the fact that it does seep between the juice and air flow ring and asked if there is any improvements on the horizon.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
*hmph* Poor threading (possibly) and insulators that crack and break up? That's kind of disappointing and not the kind of thing that does a manufacturer's reputation any good.
The threads do their job. The user is the problem. :)

They use ceramic for what ever reason. Insulators crack. Seems peek is preferred. OBS says it has been addressed. But seems to me they should just use peek and call it good. Over on the other forum there is a 40 page thread on the Crius. I sifted through it just looking for other problems. The insulator seems to be the only one, and not too many people complaining about leaks.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well it appears to insulate correctly. No shorts but it is starting to seep more than usual. I did sent an inquiry to OBS this am in regards to this and the fact that it does seep between the juice and air flow ring and asked if there is any improvements on the horizon.

With it being a know problem I would just get a replacement from vendor. It's not going to get better. Others have contacted OBS, but mixed results. You have to translate to Chinese.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
With it being a know problem I would just get a replacement from vendor. It's not going to get better. Others have contacted OBS, but mixed results. You have to translate to Chinese.
Hahahha. Good point. I'm an American with some Italian mixed in so no chance at translating Chinese. I will contact wet vapes today to see what they can about my two

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wet vapes seems like a big supplier for them. Nobody has had a problem working with them. I'm sure they will send you a base no problem.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I've had good luck with Cvapor in the past, so I hope they come through for me this time!

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now I'm going to have to check out my insulator later just out of curiousity. I haven't really had any problems with this tank yet. Although I rebuilt it this weekend and for some damn reason I'm having wicking issues now. Coulda been the been the adult beverages that I was enjoying while building it lolol. Apparently I ordered that mutation x RTA on Saturday night as well.. ooops. Guess that will be my cloudsbro tank. Reviews look like flavor isn't that great out of it bah.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Now I'm going to have to check out my insulator later just out of curiousity. I haven't really had any problems with this tank yet. Although I rebuilt it this weekend and for some damn reason I'm having wicking issues now. Coulda been the been the adult beverages that I was enjoying while building it lolol. Apparently I ordered that mutation x RTA on Saturday night as well.. ooops. Guess that will be my cloudsbro tank. Reviews look like flavor isn't that great out of it bah.
I wasn't having any real issues either other than a few seepage problems that I contributed to my own issues. Lolol
After reading this and seeing what @AmandaD said I decided to check mine and there it is.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Cracks, ya say? Yeah, seems my insulator has... "a couple"...

Really big one on the end. You can also see the three on one side that show in the next picture.

PC070002-990x990.JPG

Here are the three on one side. You can see I'm about to lose a chunk out of one. You can also see another angle on the end one.

PC070009-990x990.JPG

And, finally, one on the other side. That one might be all the way across from the one most faintly seen in the picture above.

PC070008-990x990.JPG

I wonder if these cracks explain the VERY LOUD *SNAP*s I've been getting, lately? This is not the normal *snap* *crackle* *pop* you're used to hearing. Occasionally, lately, there'll be a really loud *snap* and vapour will come blasting out of the air holes.

I thought it was my wicking. Now I'm not so sure. I do know I'm not real pleased, atm :(

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Cracks, ya say? Yeah, seems my insulator has... "a couple"...

Really big one on the end. You can also see the three on one side that show in the next picture.

PC070002-990x990.JPG

Here are the three on one side. You can see I'm about to lose a chunk out of one. You can also see another angle on the end one.

PC070009-990x990.JPG

And, finally, one on the other side. That one might be all the way across from the one most faintly seen in the picture above.

PC070008-990x990.JPG

I wonder if these cracks explain the VERY LOUD *SNAP*s I've been getting, lately? This is not the normal *snap* *crackle* *pop* you're used to hearing. Occasionally, lately, there'll be a really loud *snap* and vapour will come blasting out of the air holes.

I thought it was my wicking. Now I'm not so sure. I do know I'm not real pleased, atm :(
I hear ya man. I called bet vapes today and their stand is that: They have contact OBS and it's a known "issue". However the unit will still function correctly and will not cause leaks. I then asked if replacements would be sent out to all of us and the answer is "no". Not really smiling now but the Vape is still great and I'm scratching my head over this.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I could be 100% sure this is the reason mine is leaking so badly. But I've had to pretty much shelve it - it's just too annoying to get a huge spurt of hot juice all over the mod and my hands:eek:

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I hear ya man. I called bet vapes today and their stand is that: They have contact OBS and it's a known "issue". However the unit will still function correctly and will not cause leaks. I then asked if replacements would be sent out to all of us and the answer is "no".
Well, then, that will be the last OBS product I ever buy. Mine is now retired. Can't sell it with a known defect and won't use it until it blows up on me.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I wish I could be 100% sure this is the reason mine is leaking so badly. But I've had to pretty much shelve it - it's just too annoying to get a huge spurt of hot juice all over the mod and my hands:eek:
I'm really sorry to hear that. Mine is getting progressively worse but it's not too bad is I only Vape it a few times then let it cool all the way. Alternating now with the crown

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well that just sucks all the way around.... :(

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Well, then, that will be the last OBS product I ever buy. Mine is now retired. Can't sell it with a known defect and won't use it until it blows up on me.
It's really to bad because this device has great features. If they would change out the insulator to peek all these issues would go away and they would gain some cred

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's really to bad because this device has great features. If they would change out the insulator to peek all these issues would go away and they would gain some cred

What sucks is I sold my billowV2 hahahaha

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Hahahha. I still have mine but can't get that wicking right to save my life. May have to give it another try here in next day or two. To bad billows doesn't have velocity deck lolol

VU Sponsors