Become a Patron!

OBS Cube X 80W VW Box MOD

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Cube X 80W VW Box MOD from OBS. The OBS Cube X 80W VW Box MOD was supplied for the purpose of this review by Pearl from Cigabuy.

https://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-obs-cu...15250.html

Introduction

The OBS Cube X is the latest device in the OBS Cube family and the first which accommodates an external battery. The Cube devices in my opinion have a wonderful form factor both for ergonomics and aesthetically, they just look great. The Cube X is a very simple device which has just variable wattage and that's it, so simply set your wattage and vape. The device will accommodate an external 18650 battery and fires up to 80W. A simple device so a short review as i could find nothing but subjective cons to the individual, what is a con to someone can be a pro to others, so let's crack on!

In The Box

Contents:

1x Cube X Box MOD
1x USB Cable
1x User Manual
1x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Cube X comes in usual cardboard box with sleeve packaging and once opened i was met my a small device with a very pleasant unique form factor. I received the Ink design, it's available in Rainbow Candy, Bloody Mary, Firefly, Ink and Lost Temple designs and Black, Chrome and Gunmetal plain colours. The Cube is a small device and has a cube or rectangular shape with all 4 sides having identical measurements. All 4 sides also have a pill shaped section with identical designs or are plain depending on the version, the device is made of Zinc Alloy. One side has a design and "CUBE-X" printed, the opposite side has the same design but also houses the large screen. The other 2 sides also have matching design or plain colour, one side is featureless while the other has a large round Silver fire button towards the top and lined up vertically underneath 2 smaller Silver, round up and down buttons followed by the micro USB port at the bottom, all buttons have a very nice machined finish. All 4 top and bottom corners are rounded off to give the device a rounded base and rounded top to meet the 510 plate. The base has printed safety stamps, branding as well as a release catch, moving to the top we have a large 510 plate with Gold plated spring loaded 510. The Cube X is extremely well made and feels very comfortable in the hand.

Cube X Specs and Features:

Size: 30.5 x 30.5 x 88.5mm
Max Wattage: 80W
Battery: 1x 18650 battery(not included)
Working Mode: VW
Input: 5V 1.5A
Output Voltage: 3.2V-4.2V
Resistance Rage: 0.1ohm-3.0ohm
Screen: 0.96 inch LED
Material: Zinc Alloy
Powerful Box MOD with fashionable appearance
80W Max output powered by external single 18650 cell
Ergonomic design for comfortable hand felling
Advanced VW mode with intelligent protections
0.96 inch LED screen with easy-operated buttons
Thread: 510
Designs: Rainbow Candy, Bloody Mary, Firefly, Ink, Lost Temple Plain Colours: Black, Chrome, Gunmetal

Fitting The battery

The Cube X accommodates a single 18650 battery which is fitted via the bottom hatch door. The door has a catch, so just pull the grooved section back and the catch releases and the door opens. Once the battery is fitted simply push the door back down and it clicks securely in place, no rattles, no movement!
The battery fits positive up which is opposite the usual negative up so it's a bit disappointing battery orientation is Black on Black and not very visible, the device as you would expect does has reverse polarity protection.

The Display

The display is bright and clear with all important information available to view. Top left we have the word "POWER", to the right is the battery status bar. Underneath is the wattage and to the right of this is both "W" to show it's wattage that is being displayed and a padlock which disappears when you unlock the device. Further down we have the resistance followed by the voltage then the puffs and finally the time of your vape.

Using the Cube

The Cube is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off, once on the device is locked indicated on the display by a padlock icon but the device will still fire. To alter the wattage you need to unlock the device that can be done by either 3 quick presses of the up button or 3 quick presses of the down button, once unlocked indicated by the padlock disappearing the wattage can be altered using the up and down buttons. When you take a vape the padlock reappears and the buttons are locked so the wattage can't be altered by accident. It will annoy some people having to press a button 3 times before being able to alter the wattage but most will find it a great feature so the wattage won't alter accidentally and after all surely once your wattage is set why would you constantly need to change it. The only thing to point out which may be a con to some but personally i couldn't care less is the puff counter zero's every time the device is turned off.

My Experience Using The Cube

Like the original Cube i love this device, simple and responsive with absolutely no delay whatsoever when firing. The Cube feels so comfortable in the hand and the very large fire button is easy to find and is nice and clicky. I tried many different tanks, a couple i am testing and a couple of my favourites and all wattage's i vaped at seem accurate right up to the 80W. Up to 26mm tanks sit really nice on the Cube X but in my opinion even a 28mm will look good. The only difference between the Cube X and the original Cube is the device is just a few mm's taller allowing for an 18650 rather than having an in-built 3000mAh battery but again (i'm sure down to the simple nature of the device) battery life was excellent for a single 18650 device lasting me all day using alongside an AIO device i am testing but this was my main device and i vape a lot. Although i would only charge the battery in the device if it was my only option the device supports up to 1.5A on-board charging and is fully firmware upgradeable.

Very good build quality
Same unique Cube form factor as the rest of the Cube devices
In my opinion aesthetically superb
Plenty of design/colour options
Very comfortable to hold and fire
Performed well
Fires instantly
26mm without overhang (even 28mm will look good in my opinion)
Very good battery life (compared to other single 18650 devices)
Need to press up or down button 3 times to alter wattage (pro to some)
External 18650 (first Cube device not to have in-built battery)
Very simple to use
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Need to press up or down button 3 times to alter wattage (con to some)
Puff counter resets every time the device is turned off (con to some)
Simple, no temp control etc (con to some)
Black on Black labelled battery orientation

I would once again like to thank Pearl from Cigabuy for supplying the OBS Cube X 80W VW Box MOD for the purpose of this review.

https://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-obs-cu...15250.html

Last edited:

VU Sponsors