Become a Patron!

OBS Engine Sub and Mini Sub Tanks

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have an OBS Engine Sub Tank coming from Heaven Gifts and am pretty excited to try it out. I have the OBS Engine and Engine Mini RTAs and absolutely love them, they have gone to the top of my rotation. I don't use many sub-tanks, but this one has definitely caught my eye.

I love the top side fill design and with the top airflow, there is no leaking, seeping or condensation to worry about. I'm curious to see if the top airflow works as well with a sub style tank as with the RTA. I found a few specs and pics to check out

Size: 25*54.5mm
Material: 304-Stainless
Weight: 53g
Resistance: 0.2ohm
E-liquid Capacity: 5.3ml
Atomizer coil: Single coil,(40-100W)

20161227110160386038.jpg

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have 2 of the OBS Engine minis- I use a fused clapton coil at .36Ω at 40w and that tank gets pretty hot, I was surprised. I am not chain vaping either.
Hope I am not doing something wrong as it is my first RTA.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I have 2 of the OBS Engine minis- I use a fused clapton coil at .36Ω at 40w and that tank gets pretty hot, I was surprised. I am not chain vaping either.
Hope I am not doing something wrong as it is my first RTA.

I'm running 2 full size Engines with dual 316L Claptons coming in around 0.25 ohm in TC and never noted a warm tank. Then again it is in TC not wattage mode. I wouldn't think your build is too much although the more metal you're heating, the more heat is retained and dissipated after releasing the fire button.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have mine running dual fused clapton SS 316 at 0.25ohms.
Have it set to 65w@510°
Tank is staying cool, no dry hits, no floods... This tank has been performing great

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Thanks for your replies, I might try a regular coil at .5Ω and see if that helps- it just seems like it runs hot, this is my 1st RTA and it seems to vape really well, just not sure why it feels hot to me, it is using .36Ω dual fused claptons right now. Maybe I should try .5Ω regular single coil build? Maybe it is just too hot to me since I have never used one before?

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If it's vaping well with a comfortable vape for you, I wouldn't worry it too much. It is sorta different than a tank with a factory coil. Those dual fused Claptons are a lot more metal heating up than you're used to using. The question is, how's the vape?

Oh, and 40W is not a lot for dual fused Clapton at ~0.4 ohm so you're not pushing insane amounts of power into it. I do think the smaller chamber on the mini 23 mm version might behave a little differently than the 25 mm version. Next build maybe try some plain Clapton coils even at the same resistance. Still would be less metal so the tank might feel a little cooler, but I still don't think you necessarily have a problem right now.

Edit: If the vape itself is too hot then obviously just dial it back. And of course be aware that the longer your draw the hotter it will get. It is a fair amount of metal so it won't cool right off when you release the fire button.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for your replies, I might try a regular coil at .5Ω and see if that helps- it just seems like it runs hot, this is my 1st RTA and it seems to vape really well, just not sure why it feels hot to me, it is using .36Ω dual fused claptons right now. Maybe I should try .5Ω regular single coil build? Maybe it is just too hot to me since I have never used one before?
I'm using a couple Engine RTAs right now, in one I'm running dual kanthal claptons 0.5 ohms and 48 watts. It actually runs cooler than most my other tanks. Maybe the heat is actually transferring from the mod and heating the tank up? Like Eskie said fused clapton will hold more heat, but at those wattages it shouldn't be getting hot as long as you're drawing on the tank. It may also help to raise the coils a bit.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
If it's vaping well with a comfortable vape for you, I wouldn't worry it too much. It is sorta different than a tank with a factory coil. Those dual fused Claptons are a lot more metal heating up than you're used to using. The question is, how's the vape?

Oh, and 40W is not a lot for dual fused Clapton at ~0.4 ohm so you're not pushing insane amounts of power into it. I do think the smaller chamber on the mini 23 mm version might behave a little differently than the 25 mm version. Next build maybe try some plain Clapton coils even at the same resistance. Still would be less metal so the tank might feel a little cooler, but I still don't think you necessarily have a problem right now.

Edit: If the vape itself is too hot then obviously just dial it back. And of course be aware that the longer your draw the hotter it will get. It is a fair amount of metal so it won't cool right off when you release the fire button.

Yes the tanks vapes really nice, maybe I am just overreacting. I am using the OBS tank with my new Asmodus Stabwood mod and that mod is so tiny that my finger actually touches the tank, that is why I can feel how hot the tank is. Refilling the tank can be a little problem too.I know that I wicked the tank really well, but would get some juice in my drip tip and mouth, but went online and others had that problem too. Someone suggested to vape the tank and while the coils were still hot to refill then, and that does work for me.
Maybe because I have the mini, it does heat up more?
Thanks for all your help!

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I'm using a couple Engine RTAs right now, in one I'm running dual kanthal claptons 0.5 ohms and 48 watts. It actually runs cooler than most my other tanks. Maybe the heat is actually transferring from the mod and heating the tank up? Like Eskie said fused clapton will hold more heat, but at those wattages it shouldn't be getting hot as long as you're drawing on the tank. It may also help to raise the coils a bit.

I will try raising the coils up a bit and see if that helps! Maybe because I have the Minis?

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I just checked my Engine, which I normally do not come into contact with on top of the mod, and it's a little warm, but not hot. As for spitting on refill, two things I find helped. First, in wicking, I get the tails to just sit in those holes, not through them to the bottom of the deck. Second, try refilling while holding the tank at a 45 degree angle as you fill it, then vertical to close the fill port cover thing, and wipe off any excess you might have on that top piece. Maybe a little "moist" the first one or two hits but smooth after that. I've not had any actual spitting of juice in my mouth with the tank.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I just checked my Engine, which I normally do not come into contact with on top of the mod, and it's a little warm, but not hot. As for spitting on refill, two things I find helped. First, in wicking, I get the tails to just sit in those holes, not through them to the bottom of the deck. Second, try refilling while holding the tank at a 45 degree angle as you fill it, then vertical to close the fill port cover thing, and wipe off any excess you might have on that top piece. Maybe a little "moist" the first one or two hits but smooth after that. I've not had any actual spitting of juice in my mouth with the tank.
My initial refilling is the first few pulls are a little moist, but then it does stop that and no spitting after a few drags. Yes I watched you tube videos and while some were stuffing cotton down the chambers, others said to just cover the holes,also want to try single coil on that deck, maybe duals are just too much for the OBS minis. I saw a few You tube videos on how to do a single coil on that deck. I do want to love this tank and will try everything to get it to work as good or better than any of my premade coil tanks. Who knows what lays down the road, what if I can't get premade coils anymore? I have to learn how to wrap coils,wick and troubleshoot an RTA.
I bought the 2 OBS Engine mini
2 OBS Crius tanks
2 OBS Ace tanks
I love the look and how well built the OBS brand is, and I will get it right, practice makes perfect! Granted it is not as easy a screwing in a factory coil, but even those were intimidating to me in the beginning. Coupled with I know no one else who vapes, so I must learn on line and am grateful for all the help I get! I have no one who can physically walk me through the steps, which make things a little tough, but I will ask questions, because I want to make sure I am doing it right.
Again Thanks to you and Roadtrip for your help!

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Mini also, but have it set-up a little different. I have dual nichrome spaced simple coils at 0.41 and running it at 35watts. I fluff and trim my wicks fairly short and place them over the wicking holes. I have them lightly in the holes, but not all the way through the holes to where the wick comes out the bottom. It took me a couple times to get it just right, but works like a dream now. My first wicking sounds like what you are getting, a little too moist, not spitting but more like a light misting. I shortened the wicks from the first attempt and now no issues at all. It doesn't gurgle, spit or mist, even after filling. I can chain vape without dry hits or let it sit and not get overly moist or spitty hits.

Here's how I have my wicks tucked.

mini2_zpsuoct6vrz.jpg

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My initial refilling is the first few pulls are a little moist, but then it does stop that and no spitting after a few drags. Yes I watched you tube videos and while some were stuffing cotton down the chambers, others said to just cover the holes,also want to try single coil on that deck, maybe duals are just too much for the OBS minis. I saw a few You tube videos on how to do a single coil on that deck. I do want to love this tank and will try everything to get it to work as good or better than any of my premade coil tanks. Who knows what lays down the road, what if I can't get premade coils anymore? I have to learn how to wrap coils,wick and troubleshoot an RTA.
I bought the 2 OBS Engine mini
2 OBS Crius tanks
2 OBS Ace tanks
I love the look and how well built the OBS brand is, and I will get it right, practice makes perfect! Granted it is not as easy a screwing in a factory coil, but even those were intimidating to me in the beginning. Coupled with I know no one else who vapes, so I must learn on line and am grateful for all the help I get! I have no one who can physically walk me through the steps, which make things a little tough, but I will ask questions, because I want to make sure I am doing it right.
Again Thanks to you and Roadtrip for your help!
OBS is also coming out with a sub-ohm style tank of the Engine, which I originally started this thread about. I should be getting one soon from Heaven Gifts, I really like the Engine products.

Just keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it. I started off building with a Kanger sub-tank with the RBA section and a clone Velocity RDA. Everybody talks about coil building, but the real trick to RTAs is about how to wick them. Each tank wicks a little different and it takes some experimentation.

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have a Mini also, but have it set-up a little different. I have dual nichrome spaced simple coils at 0.41 and running it at 35watts. I fluff and trim my wicks fairly short and place them over the wicking holes. I have them lightly in the holes, but not all the way through the holes to where the wick comes out the bottom. It took me a couple times to get it just right, but works like a dream now. My first wicking sounds like what you are getting, a little too moist, not spitting but more like a light misting. I shortened the wicks from the first attempt and now no issues at all. It doesn't gurgle, spit or mist, even after filling. I can chain vape without dry hits or let it sit and not get overly moist or spitty hits.

mini2_zpsuoct6vrz.jpg

Thanks for the picture- yes I think I will try making some simple coils as I think the Fused Claptons are just too hot for that tank. I will make sure that I have mine wicked up like yours, just touching the deck with a bit of a tail in the hole. I am not getting dry hits and the only other time I run into an issue is after I refill, the first few pulls are moist,but that seems to stop when the tank heats up!
Thank you for the picture and the time you took to help me. I will try all advice, as I want to love these tanks too!

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
OBS is also coming out with a sub-ohm style tank of the Engine, which I originally started this thread about. I should be getting one soon from Heaven Gifts, I really like the Engine products.

Just keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it. I started off building with a Kanger sub-tank with the RBA section and a clone Velocity RDA. Everybody talks about coil building, but the real trick to RTAs is about how to wick them. Each tank wicks a little different and it takes some experimentation.

Yes I was looking at the SubΩ tank too, I would want another mini as 25mm is too big for most of my mods. I bought 2 of the OBS Ace which can use the RBA or a ace coil. I haven't had a chance to use that one yet!

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
As long as the Vape is good, who cares if the tank is hot? The tank being hot isn't necessarily a bad thing, just different than what you're used to?
Thanks- this is the 1st time I have ever used an RTA and am glad that hot isn't a bad thing. Yes I like the vape of the tank, just that it felt so much hotter than a regular tank. I opened the airflow some more and that has helped too!

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks- this is the 1st time I have ever used an RTA and am glad that hot isn't a bad thing. Yes I like the vape of the tank, just that it felt so much hotter than a regular tank. I opened the airflow some more and that has helped too!
Then don't worry about it and enjoy your new rta. I have literally hundreds of tanks, and some get hotter than others, but its nothing to be concerned about. You ARE glowing a metal coil, inside a metal chamber, inside a metal and glass tank. Oftentimes the more compact the tank; the faster it heats up, but the heat is what is creating that lovely Vape that you ate enjoying.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

mini2_zpsuoct6vrz.jpg

That's almost exactly the way I wick my full size Engine. The tail is sorta held by the hole, but no cotton going through and down to the bottom deck.

All that matters is getting a good vape from it, and this is one of the most forgiving tanks especially considering its performance. I have a Crius Plus and it's little bit trickier to wick, and does offer more airflow, but IMO the flavor is better on the Engine.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got my OBS Engine Sub Tank 25mm from Heaven Gifts, a couple days ago. I'm a fan of the Engine tanks and the Engine Sub Tank has not disappointed. On the outside, it looks just like the Engine RTAs, but the top down airflow works a little differently. The airflow is great, smooth and quiet, I run it about 2/3 open. I'm getting a nice, warm, dense and flavorful vape. It came with 2 coils, both 0.2 ohms and looks like they use a notch coil. It doesn't say if the coil is SS on the package and I haven't tried it TC mode, but most likely it is SS. The coil wicks well, no problems with dry hits at all. The coils are rated for 40-100w and I've been liking it at about 70w. The tank doesn't get hot, easy to fill, and of course no leaking or seeping. I like that there is no condensation at all seeping from the tank.

I've gone through about 50ml and the coils are still doing great. I'm curious to find out how long these coils will last. The tank sits flush on the mods I've tried it on, no connection problems. The only thing I've been a bit disappointed about is choice of coils. I was hoping there would also be a 0.4 or 0.5 coil as well, but hopefully they will be coming out soon. It's been a very nice tank so far and have been very happy with it!

obs%20sub2_zpskuhozclk.jpg

Here's an OBS Engine Family photo (Mini RTA, 25mm RTA and 25mm Sub)

obs%20family1_zpsqxp30jrd.jpg

VU Sponsors