Become a Patron!

OBS Engine.( To get or not to get ) that is the question

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is the OBS engine any good? I got the aromamizer plus kit and I want to know if the OBS is a great secondary RTA? OBS engine or crius?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is the OBS engine any good? I got the aromamizer plus kit and I want to know if the OBS is a great secondary RTA? OBS engine or crius?
I don't have one but I hear a lot of peeps love it! On ECF there's a new thread on the OBS engine nano RTA for single coil. Looks promising too!

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yes, it very good. IMO, better than very good. Excellent flavor, good cloud, easy to build, and extremely leak resistant. I have 2 for my ADV and almost everything else is back in the drawer (almost, I still sometimes like to change a flavor on a whim and have a few tanks out with different juices for that).

Btsmokincat

Member For 4 Years
Yup no question get one! My second one a 23 mm mini is sitting in my mailbox right now. The 25 mm has been simply awesome!
9b5881048eb9b4a733c0a37c39733397.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like the engine. But do not absolutely love it. Has its own place for me though.

I am an avid fisherman, and the engine has become my go-to for fishing and other outdoor/active activities (fishing is active for me. Not sitting on a lawnchair). Worry free, decent flavor (not the best, but trade that for leak free), easy to build and wick. Having the top airflow only affects flavor production and also does not cool down the coils as well, so vape gets pretty hot compared to different airflow atty's with the same build. Not an absolute cloud machine, yet seems to guzzle juice (perplexing).

I really only rock RDA's, and this tank does not vape like an RDA, but it works for me as an out-and-about activity tank. Other than that, it sits and waits for me to go fishing.

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks everybody :) and Are there any others you guys would recommend over the OBS engine? Besides the aromamizer plus ( getting that in mail Friday)

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So the OBS Engine, why would you consider buying one?

For me it was the apparent simplicity of the device, it is designed in a way that makes it pretty fool proof so for me that puts it in the ‘carry around’ category. It has a velocity style deck – easy to build on even if you are out and about, cramped or in otherwise non-ideal build situations. Not my personal favourite – I prefer the Double Vision style decks but it is certainly good enough. Sticking a pair of coils and wicks in there is simple with just one tool, the tool that comes with it, it may not end up perfect like that but it will get you a vape. Reliability is also high, it’s not gonna leak even with an iffy build as the only airflow is at the top, just keep it upright and although it may flood with a crappy build it will not leak. But then building this device badly is pretty hard and really you have to do it on purpose....if you just chuck anything in there and put cotton in the holes it is going to vape in a pretty trouble free way even when you are caught out in a non-ideal rebuild scenario.

So on those criteria does it fulfil my expectations of the device? Yep. It does all that without issues so that is a good start. What did surprise me though is that it is actually a nice vape. Because of the airflow style and the chamber style and the tank style you get a warm thick vape at even low wattage. It can chuck ....you can build it for a 70w+ vape but that is not what I want with my carry around I want something that will give a good vape at 40w or less so my batteries will last all day....it does that too.

Refilling is the easiest method I have seen so far with the covered side port, just pull up the top and fill then slide it back down – simple AF. Airflow adjustment...who am I kidding..every device I own has the airflow wide open at all times, I never use airflow adjustment other than ‘fully open’ so airflow may be a ’thing’ for people but it is not for me. If I ever adjust air throughput – it is by putting coils in the way of it so I can’t really say anything about airflow except – it worked for me.

For me the device is well worth the money – it will be my carry around at work vape, it’s not gonna spill anything anywhere, it’s not gonna make my hands icky, I can lay it on it’s side and it don’t flood, I can rebuild it in a minute with just one tool. On top of that it has a great vape characteristic of warm vapes on lower power – can’t really fault it for the exact thing I bought it for...carrying about. Good flavor, easy to use,no much chance of ickiness, almost foolproof design.

WIN!

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like the engine. But do not absolutely love it. Has its own place for me though.

I am an avid fisherman, and the engine has become my go-to for fishing and other outdoor/active activities (fishing is active for me. Not sitting on a lawnchair). Worry free, decent flavor (not the best, but trade that for leak free), easy to build and wick. Having the top airflow only affects flavor production and also does not cool down the coils as well, so vape gets pretty hot compared to different airflow atty's with the same build. Not an absolute cloud machine, yet seems to guzzle juice (perplexing).

I really only rock RDA's, and this tank does not vape like an RDA, but it works for me as an out-and-about activity tank. Other than that, it sits and waits for me to go fishing.
Recommendations? :)

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
it's a solid RTA but IMO overrated. i wouldn't place it in my top 5 of last year.
the boreas, or griffin 25 plus make a better compliment to the supreme but that's just my opinion ;)

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it's a solid RTA but IMO overrated. i wouldn't place it in my top 5 of last year.
the boreas, or griffin 25 plus make a better compliment to the supreme but that's just my opinion ;)
What would you choose outta the boreas and Griffin 25?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Recommendations? :)

Unfortunately, I have never been thrilled about any RTA I have personally used. I like to chain vape at fairly high wattage, and really have not used one that replaces an RDA performance wise, for me. So I drip whenever I can. And use the engine when I can't. Like I said, it has it's place for me. But is not an rda (obviously)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
What would you choose outta the boreas and Griffin 25?
it's a toss up for me personally.
Boreas is more similar to the supreme. also needs to be burped when filling
Griffin 25 plus doesn't need to burp, just close JFC fill open JFC.

Boreas is cheaper by like 10 bucks but the griffin is a different style. SO if you want a similar version of the supreme for cheap go boreas
If you don't mind the extra money and want to try something different get the griffin 25 plus

Honestly both are great can't go wrong with either one

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have 2 OBS Engine minis 1- black and the other is silver and these are my first RTAs and I am very happy with them! I asked some questions as these tanks seem to get hot, but all seems to be OK and I am loving them, easy to build and wick with no leaking and I am glad I bought them! I also have 2 OBS Crius and 2 OBS Ace tanks that I have not used yet. The Ace has a RBA and can use their factory OBS Ace coils.
I am using the OBS mini with the asMODus Silvanusa Stabwood.

20170124_131855_zps05dpjsyh.jpg

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
I think it's the best dual coil out there. Can't leak. Simple wicking. Consistently vapes well. Well built. I prefer single coil tanks just because it's enough in terms of vape density for me. Duals seem to go through juice more. It's replaced my Boreas as the go to 2 coiler. Though both are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Engine is one of the best tanks of 2016 for it's innovation. Checks a lot of boxes in the plus column for sure. Maybe not the end all be all for flavor but that's subjective. I feel it's real good, maybe not the best but different strokes for different folks.

If you plan on using it as your out and about tank to put in your pocket then it's the best for that.

That Nano looks pretty cool, might look into that myself.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
People will tell you that this or that tank is 'better' then mention to do things to stop leaks on their favorite tank.
One of my favorites is 'get the wicking down' or 'wicked properly it rarely leaks'
I've been there, done that. A past master of the French variant of the modified Scottish roll or whatever is alleged to prevent leaking.

The Engine is the sole tank I have that has not leaked. Not a drop. Even after flying.
No condensation either.

Easy to wick, nice build deck, looks cool, good (not great) flavor. Cheap (US$21~).
What's not to love exactly?
In fact, I have two of the nano single coil versions winging their way to me.

The Engine has replaced the Supreme in my usage, and that's saying something.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
obs_engine_rta_tank_-_5.2ml_ss_13_.jpg

Another minor thing I noticed about it but look at the deck / base....see any O-rings? I don't either, it's O-ring free which means when I get my little steel wire brush in there to clean up a sketchy coil crud situation I don't have to worry about shredding any o-rings ....WIN!

DX9

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Picked one up today. Been hearing some good things. Picked up for $40 CDN. Local shop got some in yesterday and already sold out. They flew off the shelf.

Now the tank is great. Like it says no leaks. Flav is great. Did a .27 build SS316 and vaping at 410F and it is pretty damn good. My new Go to tank for a while. First build and wick on it turned out perfect.

DX9

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah not the greatest looking tank. Changed up the drip tip and it looks a little better lol. All in all a very good tank. Getting very good flav. Really like the fact I don't have to worry about it leaking if it's on it's side on my car seat or pocket etc.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Actually I like how the OBS Engine looks, to me it looks solid and well built and seems shorter than the average tank while still being able to hold a good amount of juice.I really like the way to fill the juice, and that this tank does not leak and vapes really well and I got mine for under $18.00 each so a great price too, as well as not being a juice guzzler like my Freemax Starre Pure tank.I would highly recommend this tank, but only because it is my first and only RTA I've used as compared to my other regular sub Ω tanks that take factory coils.Being my first RTA it was easy to put in the coils,wick and fill without leaking and vapes well!

Last edited:

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OBS Engine Nano arrived yesterday. What a great tank!
Single coil, all the advantages of the original Engine, perhaps slightly better flavor, but I wouldn't say for sure with only a day's usage.
Airflow is great, I only run mine about 1/3 open though. Full open is an enormous amount of air.
Build deck is slightly smaller, single coil I guess. I have a 27ga 7/6 wrap 3.5mm ID coil in there with some extra room.
I'm liking the single coiledness of it.
Sure sips battery and juice compared to the original running both at 65W 420-440F.

DX9

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cancelled order on Fasttech. Don't feel like waiting till March to get the Nano. Ordered on 3Fvape just now. Love the OBS Engine but damn this thing can really drink the juice with dual coils lol. Amazing tank though. Flav is awesome.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Cancelled order on Fasttech. Don't feel like waiting till March to get the Nano. Ordered on 3Fvape just now. Love the OBS Engine but damn this thing can really drink the juice with dual coils lol. Amazing tank though. Flav is awesome.
Love my OBS minis and the Nano is another one I will purchase in the future!
Hopefully you get your tank soon, 3F is in China too !

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Is this the same tank as the Nano? I would need the smaller 23mm tank. Also no way in hell am I paying $48.00- I will wait for a good sale, haha!
http://www.gearbest.com/rebuildable-atomizers/pp_607561.html?wid=21

No, not sure what's up there. this is the mini, a dual coil 23 mm tank $30 from element vape https://www.elementvape.com/obs-engine-mini-rta-two-post

The Nano is a single coil 25 mm tank ~5 ml about $22 at 3fvape http://www.3fvape.com/rebuildable-a...el-glass-53ml-25mm-diameter.html#.WI_CmBsrKUk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I totally recommend the Engine! I made a review on it. It hits better then an RDA for me. And just keeps chucking..
i went ahead and subscribed to your channel. Don't agree with your assessment but that's what's great about vaping. we all have different tastes.
I haven't done my formal review of the engine yet. it's on my list I'm just trying to do the newer and less common stuff 1st

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i went ahead and subscribed to your channel. Don't agree with your assessment but that's what's great about vaping. we all have different tastes.
I haven't done my formal review of the engine yet. it's on my list I'm just trying to do the newer and less common stuff 1st
I agree. Thank you very much for subbing. If you ever have any questions you can email me direct anytime.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I agree. Thank you very much for subbing. If you ever have any questions you can email me direct anytime.
nope! i never question one's opinion and as with most attys it's all a matter of opinion. unless an atty is highly prone to leaking or stupidly hard to build on, it becomes a matter of opinion. And i always respect others opinions ;)
I did call it the most overrated RTA of 2016 though in my best of 2016 video on my youtube channel. it's not a knock on the device itself, it's just the hype surrounding it didn't come close to equaling the actual performance

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I copied this from GearBest- it is saying this is a single post deck, which I am assuming it is the smaller Nano?
20170111164127_75973.jpg

DX9

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone has different tastes. That's the beauty. What if I told you I have the exact same build in my Griffen 25 Plus and OBS Engine, both dual coil SS316L 24 AWG, hitting .20 Ohms vaping at 450F on my Therion 166 and the OBS is just killing my Griffen ;) Always love my Griffen but the Engine is just killing it right now. My only con is that it just drinks the juice lol. I don't have time to DIY juice so it is getting a little costly ;). Looking forward to the Nano for sure to see how it compares. I use the GeekVape Ammit single coil and OBS daily right now.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
No, not sure what's up there. this is the mini, a dual coil 23 mm tank $30 from element vape https://www.elementvape.com/obs-engine-mini-rta-two-post

The Nano is a single coil 25 mm tank ~5 ml about $22 at 3fvape http://www.3fvape.com/rebuildable-a...el-glass-53ml-25mm-diameter.html#.WI_CmBsrKUk
I already have the OBS Engine minis- yes they are dual coil, but 23mm
I believe they are calling the Smaller 23mm Nano the Sub mini RTA?
This would be the size I need- it would be nice to have a single post deck in a 23mm size for most of my mods! The Engine minis I have- fit most of my mods perfectly- I guess I will have to wait for the smaller version to come out on the market!

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Everyone has different tastes. That's the beauty. What if I told you I have the exact same build in my Griffen 25 Plus and OBS Engine, both dual coil SS316L 24 AWG, hitting .20 Ohms vaping at 450F on my Therion 166 and the OBS is just killing my Griffen ;) Always love my Griffen but the Engine is just killing it right now. My only con is that it just drinks the juice lol. I don't have time to DIY juice so it is getting a little costly ;). Looking forward to the Nano for sure to see how it compares. I use the GeekVape Ammit single coil and OBS daily right now.
very true. i could see it being better for smaller builds where cooling off coils isn't as important and the smaller chamber may help. same way you might get better flavor out of a tsunami then a tsunami 24 if you used a smaller build. all depends on the end users vape style and builds. flavor is a combo of air flow, chamber size, build vapor production, and chimney size/length. The best tank for one isn't the best tank for another.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Think I've went through 25ml today alone. The taste is so good that I don't want to stop lol.
lol glad you found what u like.

the main issue for me is the top airflow. with top airflow you can't cool off your coil. it just pulls the produced vapor up. so without your air cooling it off in watt mode they got hotter faster and in temp mode it cuts off vapor production faster. both of which mute flavor. plus when air comes under the coil it produces better flavor then side or bottom. thats why back in the days we used to build coils higher in side flow RDAs and why things like chimney coils came into existence. the search for flavor. top airflow was always weird to me. I'm not sure why it even started it felt like a step backwards. I think 3-4 years ago the engine would have been a revolution. RTAs sucked, premade tanks sucked and regulated mods sucked lol. I was only using mech's and RDAs after i got off my vape pen. nowadays there are so many good options it's crazy. people quitting for vaping now have it so much better then when we were scrubbing it up. todays worst devices are still 10 times better then the best devices of years ago

DX9

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah well it's definitely working out for me with the top airflow. Was skeptical at first but it's been amazing. Think I started to try vaping back 5 years ago. Never stuck with it till the last year I got back into it more. My first Ecig was the V2 Ecigarette.

VU Sponsors