Become a Patron!

Odd hissing after hit

I have an eleaf istick 50W mod with an isub tank. After almost every hit there is a hissing sound that lasts about a second. Is this normal, a bad coil or something else. I recently put in a new coil and prepped it properly when the hissing began.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
cool down.
Like your stove top elements, just cause they are not red hot does not mean they will not burn shit.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still firing a bit after button press, I have a few mods that do that, I am sure its something mechanic with the fire button, half a second or so it continues to fire, It never went longer than that.

cool down.
Like your stove top elements, just cause they are not red hot does not mean they will not burn shit.
The noise only began when I put the new coil in, the old coil never made the hiss that I was aware of. Cool down does sound like the probable cause.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dark Horse with hot freaking 24 ga. .2ish build on a sig 150.
Shit sounds like the rda is cooking but it is just cool down.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can't say I know anything about that setup, but it might just be juice still evaporating on the hot coils after taking the hit.

Was the old coil the same resistance and used at the same wattage and with the same length hits?
Anything different could be causing it to get a bit warmer and thus having a more noticable hiss during the cool down. Minor factory defects can also cause the coils to vary a bit in actual resistance levels.

Can't say I know anything about that setup, but it might just be juice still evaporating on the hot coils after taking the hit.

Was the old coil the same resistance and used at the same wattage and with the same length hits?
Anything different could be causing it to get a bit warmer and thus having a more noticable hiss during the cool down. Minor factory defects can also cause the coils to vary a bit in actual resistance levels.
Everything is the same as it was before. That's why I am a little confused at it

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still leaves minor variances in manufacturing. 0.02 ohm difference can make a difference and wont show in the display of most devices.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The noise only began when I put the new coil in, the old coil never made the hiss that I was aware of. Cool down does sound like the probable cause.

Have to agree it's the cool down period. It's worse with bigger gauge wire. Don't know if it gets worse or less as the coils gunk up, but thinking about some of the setups I've had that hiss a bit I don't think this makes much difference. It's possible you didn't notice it with the first coil or maybe this one is a little different. A wicking difference might also contribute, but that's also just an opinion.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The simple solution is to inhale about a half-second longer after letting go of the fire button. Every .4-.6 ohm build I've made and fired on my Subox has hissed after letting off of the fire button. I just started inhaling a little bit after firing and it clears out.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is it the coil or the mod? My Sigelei 150TC makes an electronic hissing sound when the screen is lit, no idea why or what it is, but it's always been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It has become self aware your coil.. you have found a new form of life

VU Sponsors