Become a Patron!

Official Taifun GT Modification thread.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This thread will be for any Taifun GT lovers who enjoy the amazing flavor but just wishes you had the clouds to go with it.

I'm simply repeating this procedure and i am not the inventor of such.

First i need to warn that this procedure does have some risk as it involves some drilling..I recommend a very sharp drill bit and that you use patience when attempting this mod...The risk involves breaking the drill bit off inside the base and all i can say if this happens is, good luck to you trying to remove it...Worse case scenario is you will need to replace the base and try again...So best of luck to you and enjoy your RDA sized clouds and the superb flavor from a single coil Taifun GT.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Today i picked up my second Taifun GT just for the purpose of this thread and to make it a more airy contender...Not that cloud chasing is my agenda but the GT does suffer from a very restrictive air flow..I like to describe it as a somewhat tight mouth to lung inhale ,and my kanger protank 2 models seem to out flows this model with air draw, so this tank needs some attention in that department for sure.

So heres a close up look at the air system on the Taifun GT.

The very restrictive air intake port
20150220_222642.jpg

20150220_222908.jpg
20150220_222938.jpg

As you can see, the taifun used a very small hole on the base (about 1.5mm) and a very small tube down the center of the base.( also about 1.5mm)

Some would think well why not just drill the hole out on the side to get more air flow...Well, you can drill it but it will not increase air flow at all due to the restrictive center tube being the main restriction of air draw into the tank.

So to address the air flow problem we must first get rid of the main restriction.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
REMOVING THE CENTER PIN AND BUSHING:

Some may think the bushing in the center is used as an insulator to the 510 firing pin and this is not the case..The bushing is used to hold the small breather tube in place only.

NOTE:.Some may wish to remove both screws that hold in the coil...I advise against this as the rumor has it there is a small plate or insulator internally that can fall out off place if doing so...So leave one screw in and do not remove the 510 pin.

Youll need a pair of needle nose pliers and a small precision screwdriver...Simply grab hold of the center pin and pull it out...You will more than likely damage the pin by squashing it while grabbing it ,so be prepared to never use it again if this happens.
1424491136525.jpg
Once the pin is out you may need to pry the center bushing out with the tiny screwdriver untill it is removed completely....you already have a larger diameter and can opt to leave the bushing in if you like and drill the outside breather accordingly for an improvement in air flow
1424491264160.jpg
So now we have a huge air intake port to work with here without the bushing.
1424491425487.jpg

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
At this point you now have many options to turn this into something with slightly more air draw, if this is all you wanted ,or you can go for the gusto with maximum air flow.

The next step is now drilling the side hole on the base to your desired air flow...You can take this in small steps and experiment with what you like..But remember once youve gone too big you cant fix it, in a sense...so take your time and think before going too far.
STOCK AIR HOLE AT YOUR DISPOSAL.
20150220_222642.jpg

I dont really need to show pics of a finished product at this point as im not sure where im going with the size myself, so i can only stress to be very careful drilling and use a very sharp drill bit...If you break the bit off inside the hole you may not be able to get it out..especially if it breaks below the lip of the breather hole with nothing to grab hold of...Your only alternative is to replace the base and start all over again.

The end result is an airflow equivalent to about a 3mm diameter hole..just ever so slightly less than...So remember to not exceed this size on the outside hole as it will do nothing more to increase air flow...Remember to only drill in as far as needed and not over drill..Take it slow and carefully...I recommend using some e juice as a lube to help catch the fillings and remember to wash it out very thoroughly and make sure you have no fillings inside the base...A filing can cause a short or maybe get sucked into your lungs and you really dont want that.

I will be starting with a small bit and working my way up untill i find what i like air draw wise...Im sure you will find yours.

Hope this helps some who has a taifun gt get some air flow they may have been wanting and keep that remarkable flavor it is known so well for.

Thanks for looking and enjoy

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A look at my 2 Taifun GT's.
1424493050531.jpg

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You may want this put in the correct area, your in clearomizers area right now

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A look at my 2 Taifun GT's.
View attachment 15054
Those are some nice looking Taifuns there dude...hehehehehe...I think I'm gonna drill one of the 2 I have left, but I'm gonna make sure I want to do this before I potentially foul a good Taifun...Thanks for the post Mike, it was well written and informative....:)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Those are some nice looking Taifuns there dude...hehehehehe...I think I'm gonna drill one of the 2 I have left, but I'm gonna make sure I want to do this before I potentially foul a good Taifun...Thanks for the post Mike, it was well written and informative....:)
Lol..indeed they are..ty again.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another alternative to this is purchasing the GT version 2 base but im not sure if the center pin is removable or not on that version...It is a larger pin however and you have a kanger "looking" v3 air flow control system but with holes on both sides of the ring at 1mm each hole (x5 per side) so, a whopping equivalent to a 10mm diameter breather hole at wide open adjustment...If you can take out the pin you will have some very serious air flow.

You can get this v2 base at fasttech for 5 bucks a possible alternative.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/2047500

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just placed an order at fasttech.

1.) Taifun GT V2 Base
2.) Taifun nano tank and top kit (plastic)
3.) Taifun (metal) nano top
4.) Stainless drip tip to match top

Made my first step in drilling the outer air hole to 5/64".

Big improvement, now making it a much more airy mouth to lung inhale which is now slightly greater than the stock kayfun is for me....Makes for a slow and smooth lung inhale but still sort of tight for that style of draw...i have not noticed any loss of flavor so far.

I will be looking to fill my lungs fully within 4 to 5 seconds on a lung inhale...maybe less.

Next step will be a 3/32" sized hole, then on to a 7/64" which is what will match the inner diameter and give the most air flow possible.

Loving this tank.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Went with the 3/32 drill bit...in all honesty it wasnt that much more air so something is still restricting air flow...Looking more closely inside the hole from the top, the actuall hole is definately smaller then the rest of the area the bushing was removed from...Maybe 2.0mm.

I tried to get the complete base apart to see how i can drill this out and not destroy something but cant seem to get the top off like ive seen in some pics..Any one done this b4 and know how it lifts off?

If you look up on youtube "taifun gt mods" and the video by cloud50 ,this is where i got this idea to write this up and share.

There has to be something hes left out...my guess is drilling inside the top hole as well to a larger diameter.

Hes blowing some pretty large clouds in his video and probably using more wattage than i am...i went as high as all 20 watts and cant come close to his video..lol

If anyone has taken the base fully apart before i sure would appreciate explaining how its done...All the screws and posts and even the 510 assembly was removed..i couldnt pry it or twist it up.

This is the full insides of the kayfun GT
CC35E3BF-D381-4BAD-9035-AC48656E4767_zps30srmmbq.jpg

Last edited:

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's kind of hard to explain, but there is a disc inside the base. The center pin being the positive, connects to that disc inside, which connects to the + post, that are offset to the side. That disc rest in the base usually inline with the side air hole. Thats why it's a bitch to get a lot of airflow from a Taifun GT. Almost everybody takes the center tube out from the beginning, but since that disc is in the way of the side air hole it doesn't help much. There are pages from Germans who love everything Taifun, where they used sockets to press that base out, and do some REAL mods to it. Then there is the plastic insulator in that base that likes to short out getting the base back inline. There are threads on ECF where people have taken that base apart modded, with limited sucess. Everything you need to know is here.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ystems/505047-taifun-gt-real-vs-clone-11.html

10s6jc1.jpg

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Heres a pretty nice illustration...Based on this, you need to get inside for some serious air flow...i picture where the air enters, radius the brass plate for a smoother entry and drilling the entry port under the base.
wwksr.png

I went and drilled the center hole on the base to get rid of that lip inside then went ahead and drilled the breather hole on the side to 7/64 as well....Its not a super lung hitter but it is a smooth one...I actually choked a bit after about 5 seconds taking a draw with it...Clouds are very much improved and i needed to turn up the power a little bit to regain flavor but it was there none the less.

Id have to say going to 7/64 does make a pretty nice difference if you drill the center hole as well.

Worth it?...Well its a big difference in vapor production so if thats what youre after from the taifun GT,then yes i think it is...Is it the cloud chaser i thought it would be, No it isnt.

I would describe it now ,a smooth "slow" lung hitter..not a super fast short inhale.

The cloud 50 video must be using alot more power and sucking pretty damn hard on it to get what hes getting unless hes left out some mod work under the base he failed to mention.

My goal now is to get the base taken apart so i can take this further and see what all its got.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I,ll post up a pic of the center hole when i need to re wick and coil...heres a pic of the side breather hole untill then...cant find my counter sink to finish it...lol

Attachments

• 1424693381265.jpg
    1424693381265.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 18

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My order from fasttech updated ,saying my items have shipped.

Should be interesting to see how much air flow the v2 base has.

The center air tube is supposed to be 3mm in dia..The air flow holes on the base are 1mm each hole with 10 of them in total (5 on each side) for 10mm of air flow control..Possibly a bit overkill bit ill report back how it works compared to my modded GT base.

Still loving this tank flavor wise.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My parts are at the last stop b4 my home town so i expect to be able to pick it up tommorow.

Hoping for great results and much better look....will post up the parts tomorrow some time.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yay...picked up my package of goodies.

All the parts seem to be done well...nothing i can see as far as flaws or poor machining.
20150313_175323.jpg

The base does have a strong machine oil smell so it will certainly be getting a bath before final assembly

Looking down inside the breather tube i can see they machined it so it has no lip on the inside making it a constant diameter all the way through...You cant see this in the pic but trust me the hole is constant all the way through...There is no more removable pin however which doesn't really matter at this point...You can still open it up some if you decided to but ill be leaving mine alone.
20150313_175459.jpg
20150313_175449.jpg

The V2 base also adds another breather hole on the opposite side of the stock inner plate...So, its not just more holes drilled on the side of the base and the same restrictive single entry port on the inner plate...Huge air flow improvements.

A mouth to lung hit with the afc wide open is really not gonna happen unless you like .5 second hits...Zero resistance for that style ,wide open....Making adjustments however can be very precise and should give you the draw your looking for ,short of wanting more than wide open which is pretty nice..This exceeds the modified stock air draw by quite a bit.

The nano kit is really nice....the tank and top are polycorbonate and in my opinion the threads are machined really well...You have to line everything up just right but once you have it its smooth as butter.

The drip tip is definately a larger diameter inside and out..extremely easy to draw air through and looks pretty nice in my opinion...I wish it was maybe a dual oring type seal but it fits snug into the new metal nano top which is all that really matters.

Time to give it all a bath and get myself a coil on the base and try this sucker out :)..Will post up more pics soon.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cleaned,coiled,wicked and filled

went with a 28g 7 wrap on a 2mm i.d. and got a reading of 1.3ohm on theCloupor hana clone....was shooting for 1.2 but close enough...Heres a pic showing the difference in size along with my kayfun in pic for comparison.
20150313_211004.jpg

So how does it compare to stock and a modded stock base?

I'll just say its so much of a difference it isnt even funny...Im starting to see where more air means more power needed to keep flavor as ive found i needed to run up to a minimum of 15w to find the flavor again from my usual 8 to 10 watt settings....17 watts put me over the edge with flavor...Difference in vapor production is double at minimum....Ive set my personal record for clouds..lol

Overall im very impressed with the V2 base and nano kit as a hop up...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

You can simply buy the complete V2 tank or just buy the V2 base for 5 bucks to upgrade your GT..The nano kit was preference for me as well as the drip tip.

The nano kit does take away quite a bit of capacity but it does look nice...You can use this v2 base with the stock tank and keep your capacity if you want and still reap a much greater air flow.

The only thing left i can do to get slightly more air is drill out the stock tube but its more than adequate for me at this point and think ill be happy for quite some time with it.

Well I did the drill job on my GS and now it in my regular line up for everyday use mounted on the mini Nemi I stayed a bit smaller on the drill and used 5/32 insted of the
Heres a pretty nice illustration...Based on this, you need to get inside for some serious air flow...i picture where the air enters, radius the brass plate for a smoother entry and drilling the entry port under the base.
View attachment 15218

I went and drilled the center hole on the base to get rid of that lip inside then went ahead and drilled the breather hole on the side to 7/64 as well....Its not a super lung hitter but it is a smooth one...I actually choked a bit after about 5 seconds taking a draw with it...Clouds are very much improved and i needed to turn up the power a little bit to regain flavor but it was there none the less.

Id have to say going to 7/64 does make a pretty nice difference if you drill the center hole as well.

Worth it?...Well its a big difference in vapor production so if thats what youre after from the taifun GT,then yes i think it is...Is it the cloud chaser i thought it would be, No it isnt.

I would describe it now ,a smooth "slow" lung hitter..not a super fast short inhale.

The cloud 50 video must be using alot more power and sucking pretty damn hard on it to get what hes getting unless hes left out some mod work under the base he failed to mention.

My goal now is to get the base taken apart so i can take this further and see what all its got.

Well I did the drill job on my Taifun Gs Mini and just opened it up to 5/64 and it works great. I got rid of the pin and plastic plug thingy and made a anti gurgle insert out of SS mesh and it works great. I tried removing that pin and plastic piece but without anything sticking up it seem to gurgle, so I rolled the SS mesh around the5/64 drill so it fit snug in the hole leaving sick up about a 16 of a inch and with the drilling it's got a perfect draw for me it was funny my GS and my wifes have a totally different draw before the mod she could use hers with the pin and plastic in and it seem to draw fine for her, even I could tell that hers had a better draw from day one so I took out out the metal pin first that seems to help for a while but one day it got a bit melted so I retired it as just a bad atty. I seen this post and gave it a try so I open the side and the center air hole but I knew it would gurgle without that pin so like said did that deal with the SS mesh and it worked like a charm! no gugal and a perfect draw it tight enough I can do Mouth to lung and open enough that I can do a pretty good lung hit too now I don't have to worry about melting that plastic too! When I do a sub ohm. It now what you call a real sub ohm but about .8o ohms. It worked out great because I never found a atty that I like to use on the nemi so it revived a whole set up for me. I use SS mesh around a 18 ga or so wire to keep a hole open in my mesh and they stick up into the tank about 3/4th of the inside of the tank and even roof I guess you would call it of that little cap you plug in that holds the wicks and do a cotton wick in the bottom so the whole set up not the the mini nemi and the mini gs gets used every day and it wicking 80/20 juice with no issues at all no dry hits even chain vaping, no gurgle and blows a nice clouds for a mini device. I am vaping this even as I write this now I have been meaning to break u the drill for about the last 5 to 6 months this time I thought since I don't use it what can it hurt to try. I get about the vapor as I do from my older Kayfuns that had the tiny hole in the drip tip and I am loving it,

I have a tip for folks that have the problem when you take off the tank to fill it and the part with the wicks going thru it come off with the tank. If you loosen the drip tip side a little bit like 1 turn and then unscrew the tank form the base when you want to fill it it seems to keep that part with the wicks staying right where it belongs. That saves you have to dig that cap out of the tank when that comes off with the tank. I hope that helps someone. I just thought about that because I see that I need to fill this little guy here now.
When I first started using this atty I just used cotton tails to come up thru the deck but almost every time I took the tank off it messes up my cotton wicks, that was when I made the SS mesh wicks to go thru the deck, Oh I used like 250 or 300 mesh too, no silica core or any of that stuff. I see folks do again I wrap the mesh around a stiff piece of wire I don't really know what size it is but it came from the handle of my tub of Chinese roast pork lo mein that been a handy little piece of wire LOL

Thanks for the tip on the drilling I had about 35 bucks tied up in that set up and it was getting real close to the garbage can. I have a a boat load of attys I can't seem to stay out of this clearance sales at 101 vapor and Focalecig. I am a sucker for anything I can buy for less than 5 bucks. I always end up needing to drill or mod that stuff somehow to get it working but I paid good money for the Nemi and the GS like 15 for the mini nemi and like 20 or a bit more for the Taifun GS that little guy was not cheap I never did get why the full gt size one cost less mini gs

Anyway thanks again :)

VU Sponsors