Become a Patron!

Oh, what a slippery slope...

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, like most everyone else, I started with cigalikes, and that went nowhere. Rebooted, got myself an Evod starter kit a week and a half ago, and all's well and good for the time being. Not a heavy smoker by any standard (half a pack/day maybe), but would still like to be a quitter just the same...

Reading up on vaping the past couple of weeks made me realize that this is a slippery slope... and I'm now looking at upgrade paths: would that be a vv/vw, or something else? I'm happy with what I have right now, but I would like to make sure I don't go back to analogs once the "curiosity" wears off...

(Posted this on the wrong section earlier, I suppose...excuse me.)

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi bystander. Welcome.
For me, it's whatever will keep me off of those stinking coffin nails but don't worry about it too much. Most of us here seem to have made vapor a hobby and lifestyle on top of helping us quit.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You can pick up a Vamo V5, charger, batteries and the toppers for a reasonable price and it is something you can grow with and will keep you happy as well for quite awhile.

Until you see the next shiny thing that is.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can pick up a Vamo V5, charger, batteries and the toppers for a reasonable price and it is something you can grow with and will keep you happy as well for quite awhile.

Until you see the next shiny thing that is.

What's a "reasonable" price for what you suggested? And would that be better alternative to an MVP2?

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi bystander. Welcome.
For me, it's whatever will keep me off of those stinking coffin nails but don't worry about it too much. Most of us here seem to have made vapor a hobby and lifestyle on top of helping us quit.

Thanks for the welcome. What did you start off with, and what are you using now...?

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Started with vision twist pen type and kanger (sp?) Tanks. Got iclear tank pretty quick but was killing 2 batteries a day and still smoking some. Picked up a t100 (cheap mechanical mod) and an igo w drip atomizer. immediately stopped smoking. I don't use tanks anymore, just not enough for me I guess.
Just remember, as soon as you go rebuildable there's more to keep up on. Hence hobby.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Started with vision twist pen type and kanger (sp?) Tanks. Got iclear tank pretty quick but was killing 2 batteries a day and still smoking some. Picked up a t100 (cheap mechanical mod) and an igo w drip atomizer. immediately stopped smoking. I don't use tanks anymore, just not enough for me I guess.
Just remember, as soon as you go rebuildable there's more to keep up on. Hence hobby.

hence why i don't do rebuildables. hate fiddling with stuff and am totally inept with mechanical and electronic thingies.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@kelli I got tired of replacing those damn coils in the tanks. It seemed like I was replacing at least 1 a day in 1 tank or another. Plus the flavor and vapor is so much better ina drip. IMHO

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@kelli I got tired of replacing those damn coils in the tanks. It seemed like I was replacing at least 1 a day in 1 tank or another. Plus the flavor and vapor is so much better ina drip. IMHO

yeah i know all that but i am not able to drip much. (thank you Depends....snort). seriously tho, i am just dandy with my tanks and my coils last at least a week. of course, i am not an industrial vaper like some of you guys. but if it's your thing, drip away! ;)

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your path is yours! What are you interested in? Power, flexibility, extending the utility of your current setup? Is cost a huge factor?

I went very incrementally: 510 w/ cartridges (don't ask) to cartomizers to small tanks and Ego batteries, to longer Ego Twists and a small variety of Egos and cartos and clearomizers and tanks, and dripping with 510 atomizers, to a full-on Innokin SVD variable voltage/wattage device with a nifty LCD screen and Evods and Protanks and then finally to mechanical mods (mostly stainless steel/brass/copper Nemeses and a Magneto) with rebuildable tanks (RSST, Kayfun, Taifun, Aga-T2) with READYxWICK (a brand of ceramic wick), and now magnetic switches for my Nemeses (super cheap and easy to install). At the moment i think i've hit my upgrade wall... but i know damn good and well that that'll change soon enough.

My advice is to focus on trying a wide variety of juices now, then find your path for upgrading your hardware when you really are ready. If money's not a huge issue, it never hurts to own a good variety of devices. And yeah, it becomes a hobby if you're not careful!

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's a "reasonable" price for what you suggested? And would that be better alternative to an MVP2?
Depending on the source, you could get all that stuff for $120 or less easily.

Vamo V5 = ~$35
Charger = ~$20
Batteries = ~$20 for two ~2000mAh 18650s
Topper = ~$25 for an Aspire Nautilus or a Kayfun (for example), plus maybe another ten for replacement coils or rebuilding supplies. Or you could get a $10 thing or a $50 thing... the variety is enormous here.

The charger and batteries will be good for just about any other standard kit you might find yourself using. Obviously you could swap out the Vamo body and the topper to your liking at any point. So although $120 might seem like a lot, the reality is it'll go pretty far in the long run.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks! From what I've read, Kanger tanks are bottom-coil, and iClear's are top-coil - what's the difference in terms of vapor/throat hit/flavor? Also, is it safe to assume RBA/RDA/mod = dripping? If so, I think I have a ways to go before I get there. :)

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah i know all that but i am not able to drip much. (thank you Depends....snort). seriously tho, i am just dandy with my tanks and my coils last at least a week. of course, i am not an industrial vaper like some of you guys. but if it's your thing, drip away! ;)

What's your set-up like, kelli?

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your path is yours! What are you interested in? Power, flexibility, extending the utility of your current setup? Is cost a huge factor?

I went very incrementally: 510 w/ cartridges (don't ask) to cartomizers to small tanks and Ego batteries, to longer Ego Twists and a small variety of Egos and cartos and clearomizers and tanks, and dripping with 510 atomizers, to a full-on Innokin SVD variable voltage/wattage device with a nifty LCD screen and Evods and Protanks and then finally to mechanical mods (mostly stainless steel/brass/copper Nemeses and a Magneto) with rebuildable tanks (RSST, Kayfun, Taifun, Aga-T2) with READYxWICK (a brand of ceramic wick), and now magnetic switches for my Nemeses (super cheap and easy to install). At the moment i think i've hit my upgrade wall... but i know damn good and well that that'll change soon enough.

My advice is to focus on trying a wide variety of juices now, then find your path for upgrading your hardware when you really are ready. If money's not a huge issue, it never hurts to own a good variety of devices. And yeah, it becomes a hobby if you're not careful!

Sounds like a reasonable path, and one that I'm seeing myself take as well. As far as my current Evod kit, what can I do to get a better vaping experience? I already grabbed an Aspire/VapeOnly clearo and that made a big difference as far as draw/hit is concerned, IMO.

Speaking of juices - and I'll post this in the appropriate forum as well - what are you currently vaping and what's your ADV? So far, I'm liking the first two juices that I got @ 12mg: EVO Timber & Ripple Effects Mocha Cappucino. I also grabbed an EVO Hazelnut Cap not soon after, but the Mocha Cap tastes better for me. I got talked into buying a Lush Vapor Pow Pow Pink Starbustin, but that one's not doing anything for me. :(

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depending on the source, you could get all that stuff for $120 or less easily.

Vamo V5 = ~$35
Charger = ~$20
Batteries = ~$20 for two ~2000mAh 18650s
Topper = ~$25 for an Aspire Nautilus or a Kayfun (for example), plus maybe another ten for replacement coils or rebuilding supplies. Or you could get a $10 thing or a $50 thing... the variety is enormous here.

The charger and batteries will be good for just about any other standard kit you might find yourself using. Obviously you could swap out the Vamo body and the topper to your liking at any point. So although $120 might seem like a lot, the reality is it'll go pretty far in the long run.

Awesome - thanks for the breakdown... I think this kind of info helps a lot for noobs. I knw they're two different beasts, but how does this compare to an MVP2?

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What's your set-up like, kelli?

i like to keep it simple. and inexpensive. MVP2 and aspire BDC tank. less than $50 for the whole shebang. :)

20140717_132613.jpg

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i made a pretty big jump in my vape life.. went from ego with mini protank to cloupor dna 30 w a dripper. what made me do that is what i read about the efficiency of how the nicotine is released, and how quickly you can (and kind of have to) drop nic levels when using a dripper. i got the dna 30 instead of a mech because i still wanted the regulated consistency throughout the battery life but wanted the efficiency of a mech. plus i didnt have to buy a charger, ohm reader, and all that you need with a mech. i also rebuilt my protank head before i got my dna and realized how big a difference it made

there is also other perks like flavor and more clouds but i did it for the nic drop and glad i did

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome - thanks for the breakdown... I think this kind of info helps a lot for noobs. I knw they're two different beasts, but how does this compare to an MVP2?
I don't have either, but both are well liked. It's just like buying a car though. Even a test drive won't tell you how you're going to feel after 30,000 miles.

Fat-fingered on my Nexus 4

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like a reasonable path, and one that I'm seeing myself take as well. As far as my current Evod kit, what can I do to get a better vaping experience? I already grabbed an Aspire/VapeOnly clearo and that made a big difference as far as draw/hit is concerned, IMO.

Speaking of juices - and I'll post this in the appropriate forum as well - what are you currently vaping and what's your ADV? So far, I'm liking the first two juices that I got @ 12mg: EVO Timber & Ripple Effects Mocha Cappucino. I also grabbed an EVO Hazelnut Cap not soon after, but the Mocha Cap tastes better for me. I got talked into buying a Lush Vapor Pow Pow Pink Starbustin, but that one's not doing anything for me. :(
Right now I'm stuck with whatever is cheap, which thankfully happens to be Mt Baker and Yaeliq. Mostly tobaccos.

Fat-fingered on my Nexus 4

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i like to keep it simple. and inexpensive. MVP2 and aspire BDC tank. less than $50 for the whole shebang. :)

View attachment 1979

WTF? That's more than what I paid for my Evod kit! Granted I went to a B&M for guidance, but still. Where'd you get yours - or better yet - where's the best place to get one? (smh... here I am I'm trying not jump levels before I'm "ready". Must.try.harder.)

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
image.jpg My MVP 2 is my favorite. I have a sparkly purple wrap, I bought on ebay from vapingtown2103, literally paid 4.50 for like 12, got by back up itaste vv3 and my MVP2 from him. I started with ego, had I stayed there I would have gone back to smoking I think. I put a quit smoking app on my phone that allowed me to put something I wanted to buy in there and when I had saved enough from not smoking it would tell me I had earned my reward. I went form ego to itaste vv lady at Weest Side vapors in Columbus told me that being able to adjust my hit would help with the smoking, maybe it's all in my head but it does the trick for me. I also have bought some spinners, one and two an x6 fatty and was looking at the Groove 2 but the sales lady at Mad vapes told me I was better off with MVP, it was much more durable. Someone had posted DFW had the MVP2 shine on sale for like 33 something if you used the coupon code champs or champ, by the time I got to Madvapes, and went back for the sale they only had the purple left ughhhhh too much like what I have. But if you look around they are not expensive. Excuse the leg there! Lol was waiting on my husband at the dentist and reading VU!

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Not really helpful but how in the world can you vape Timber!? Taste is very subjective, but that shit is gross! Taste like old drift wood.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Second the MVP is a great starting mod that is inexpensive.. Most bang for your buck.. the Vamo is a bit too large for my taste but also very cheap.

The only thing is.. don't expect the MVP to last forever.. I had 3 and they all died within a year.. 2 within 6 mo's. I normally have shitty luck so don't let it sway you too much.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 1981 My MVP 2 is my favorite. I have a sparkly purple wrap, I bought on ebay from vapingtown2103, literally paid 4.50 for like 12, got by back up itaste vv3 and my MVP2 from him. I started with ego, had I stayed there I would have gone back to smoking I think. I put a quit smoking app on my phone that allowed me to put something I wanted to buy in there and when I had saved enough from not smoking it would tell me I had earned my reward. I went form ego to itaste vv lady at Weest Side vapors in Columbus told me that being able to adjust my hit would help with the smoking, maybe it's all in my head but it does the trick for me. I also have bought some spinners, one and two an x6 fatty and was looking at the Groove 2 but the sales lady at Mad vapes told me I was better off with MVP, it was much more durable. Someone had posted DFW had the MVP2 shine on sale for like 33 something if you used the coupon code champs or champ, by the time I got to Madvapes, and went back for the sale they only had the purple left ughhhhh too much like what I have. But if you look around they are not expensive. Excuse the leg there! Lol was waiting on my husband at the dentist and reading VU!

Thanks - what clearo is that?

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not really helpful but how in the world can you vape Timber!? Taste is very subjective, but that shit is gross! Taste like old drift wood.

I've never had driftwood, so I can't confirm nor deny. Unless you're talking about an actual driftwood, in which case I can honestly say that I've definitely never tasted one. :)

Not too late to be helpful - what are you vaping right now?

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I thought those were "premium" brands... was I mistaken?

MBV is not premium juice.. by any means.. but its cheap and they ship quick so they attract a lot of people. I personally find a lot of their stuff unvapeable but they have a couple that i do like a lot (cinnamon roll and blue moo to name them)

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Second the MVP is a great starting mod that is inexpensive.. Most bang for your buck.. the Vamo is a bit too large for my taste but also very cheap.

The only thing is.. don't expect the MVP to last forever.. I had 3 and they all died within a year.. 2 within 6 mo's. I normally have shitty luck so don't let it sway you too much.

Thanks for the input - how do these things "die"? They won't charge anymore, they broke down, they fell part, etc., etc.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the input - how do these things "die"? They won't charge anymore, they broke down, they fell part, etc., etc.
yeah they don't have replaceable batteries like a lot of mods, so they are basically disposable when they won't charge anymore. but.....i have 3 that i rotate and they have all lasted over a year. if i only had one, i'm sure it would be dead by now, but i trade off every day.

so if you figure i paid about $120 for the 3 of them, that's only about 33 cents a day for a mod. pretty cheap IMO.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought those were "premium" brands... was I mistaken?
No they're not amazing, but they're cheap as hell and much better in many ways than a lot of other juices at that price point. Unvapeable is maybe a stretch. I actually love their 555. Okay, like.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No they're not amazing, but they're cheap as hell and much better in many ways than a lot of other juices at that price point. Unvapeable is maybe a stretch. I actually love their 555. Okay, like.

i still vape a lot of MBV juices and enjoy them. of course, i have an unsophisticated palate.....so luckily i don't have to pay a dollar per ml of juice to be satisfied. which is a good thing, cause i couldn't afford the "designer" juices anyway.

Reactions: jae

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
WTF? That's more than what I paid for my Evod kit! Granted I went to a B&M for guidance, but still. Where'd you get yours - or better yet - where's the best place to get one? (smh... here I am I'm trying not jump levels before I'm "ready". Must.try.harder.)

i am not one to recommend vendors, but if you google or look around on ebay you should be able to find one under $40 with free shipping. and that includes the charger. :)

p.s. i also highly recommend the double coil clearomizers like the ones i have (aspire bdc). they produce much more vapor and flavor. you can find them for less than $6 and the coils for under $2 each, and they last a week or two. :)

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've never had driftwood, so I can't confirm nor deny. Unless you're talking about an actual driftwood, in which case I can honestly say that I've definitely never tasted one. :)

Not too late to be helpful - what are you vaping right now?
Personally, I went from cigalikes, to egos/x.jet spider, to a spinner, that's when I started looking for what I wanted. Got a mvp2, still have/use it on occasion, got a few mechanicals I use when I want lots of vapor and low builds, and a DNA30 clone with a kayfun/magma as my go to. I only vape coils I build and mostly juice I make now. DIY is the ultimate way to go IMHO. I mix what I'm wanting atm. I will recommend MadTown Vapor for premixed juice though, haven't had a bad one yet and I've had quite a bit of his juice

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mvp is a solid device, definitely recommend! I'm willing to bet he meant the lipo battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Had mine 6+ months, still great device

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i still vape a lot of MBV juices and enjoy them. of course, i have an unsophisticated palate.....so luckily i don't have to pay a dollar per ml of juice to be satisfied. which is a good thing, cause i couldn't afford the "designer" juices anyway.

So, what flavor/s do you like?

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

So, what's good over @ MBV other than the 555's...?

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i make a lot of my own now, but i have always loved peanut butter mixed with different fruits like strawberry, apple, blueberry, guava, etc. i'm a fruity girl. ;)

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i am not one to recommend vendors, but if you google or look around on ebay you should be able to find one under $40 with free shipping. and that includes the charger. :)

p.s. i also highly recommend the double coil clearomizers like the ones i have (aspire bdc). they produce much more vapor and flavor. you can find them for less than $6 and the coils for under $2 each, and they last a week or two. :)

So, anything over $40 is overpriced? That definitely rules out my B&M then. :)

I have one Aspire/VapeOnly BDCC already, and they do make a difference. Less than $6 each, though, huh? Paid more than double that - live and learn. :(

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So, what's good over @ MBV other than the 555's...?

well not knowing what genre you like that's difficult to answer. their most popular are cinnamon bun, hawksauce, and moo juice (blue moo too). all ones i like :)

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So, anything over $40 is overpriced? That definitely rules out my B&M then. :)

I have one Aspire/VapeOnly BDCC already, and they do make a difference. Less than $6 each, though, huh? Paid more than double that - live and learn. :(

what you have to remember, dear, is shops have overhead (rent, utilities, insurance, etc) so they HAVE to charge more. like any retail store, they probably charge twice or more what they paid for things.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, I went from cigalikes, to egos/x.jet spider, to a spinner, that's when I started looking for what I wanted. Got a mvp2, still have/use it on occasion, got a few mechanicals I use when I want lots of vapor and low builds, and a DNA30 clone with a kayfun/magma as my go to. I only vape coils I build and mostly juice I make now. DIY is the ultimate way to go IMHO. I mix what I'm wanting atm. I will recommend MadTown Vapor for premixed juice though, haven't had a bad one yet and I've had quite a bit of his juice

I don't think I'm ready for all that... at least not yet. What did you do with your old stuff?

What's good over @ MadTown Vapor? What do you personally recommend?

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i make a lot of my own now, but i have always loved peanut butter mixed with different fruits like strawberry, apple, blueberry, guava, etc. i'm a fruity girl. ;)

Is it as simple as mixing "premade" juices, or do you make your own extracts? Can I try some of yours? LOL

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well not knowing what genre you like that's difficult to answer. their most popular are cinnamon bun, hawksauce, and moo juice (blue moo too). all ones i like :)

At this point, I've only tried a few flavors, but I'm partial to coffee ones. I do like the Evo Timber, and am not afraid of branching out... just haven't found others yet.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is it as simple as mixing "premade" juices, or do you make your own extracts? Can I try some of yours? LOL

ya know what, it's a lot easier than i ever thought. for a long time i was scared to DIY. but then when i finally started, it was no biggie. and it's really cheap too....like a nickel or less per ml most of the time. :) i could send you some but not sure what you like.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
At this point, I've only tried a few flavors, but I'm partial to coffee ones. I do like the Evo Timber, and am not afraid of branching out... just haven't found others yet.

not sure if most people would agree, but i think coffee and chocolate are the two hardest flavors to nail. the last coffee juce i vaped was horribly gakky.....tasted like several hour old gas station coffee.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what you have to remember, dear, is shops have overhead (rent, utilities, insurance, etc) so they HAVE to charge more. like any retail store, they probably charge twice or more what they paid for things.

I'm well aware of that, and would not hesitate to go back and support my local shop. Just that if I knew then what I know now type-of-thing, ya know? When I do pick out my next device, I'd be sure to look online first. :)

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll try anything at least once... I'm still looking for my taste at this point,

Yeah, I can believe that about coffee & chocolate. The other ones I've tried were nowhere near what I thought they would be...

VU Sponsors