Ohio Bill to Add $34 Tax to 30mL Bottle of E-Liquid

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
QxKyiEy.jpg

http://www.v4p3r.com/ohio-bill-to-add-34-tax-to-30ml-bottle-of-e-liquid/

Looks like I'll be spending some time in Columbus soon.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Here's the best part of HB64:

With this bill, Ohio is also attempting to increase the cigarette tax to 11.25 cents per cigarette. Taxes on e-liquid would be:
  • 10 mL bottle equals 100 cigarettes, therefore a $11.25 tax
  • 15 mL bottle equals 150 cigarettes, therefore a $16.88 tax
  • 30 mL bottle equals 300 cigarettes, therefore a $33.75 tax
I'm a light to moderate vaper and go through around 10-15mL each day. This stupid bill is claiming that I vape the equivalent of 100-150 cigarettes PER DAY. That's 5-8 packs.

o_O

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A pack of cigarettes in Chicago has now reached $14 and there is another $1 tax increase due in July.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
That's probably what they are going for.
Nah, they know what they're doing. It's all about tax revenue.

Politicians have claimed for years that raising taxes on cigs discourages people from smoking, which is total BS. There's just as many smokers today as there were 20 years ago when a pack of smokes was $1.85 (in my area anyway). If they were really concerned about public heath, cigarettes would've been banned before most of us were even born.

I just wonder how far all of this will go. The big picture. North (or South?) Dakota just passed a law that took e-cigs off the table as a tobacco product because...big f-ing surprise...they don't contain tobacco. Yet we have derpy politicians in other states trying to tax vaping to death under a tobacco tax.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Maybe. Or many people like me, will get our nic someplace else.
Well, there's always the DIY loophole. And this only really applies to stores selling e-liquid, local small businesses. They can't regulate internet sales...yet.

For the purposes of this section and section 5744.03 of the Revised Code, the “cigarette equivalent” of a vapor product shall equal one of the following amounts:
  1. If the vapor product is sold in liquid form, one-tenth of one milliliter of vapor product
  2. If the vapor product is sold in a nonliquid form, one gram of vapor product

Ohio stores could still theoretically sell e-liquid with 0 nic (not taxed), and then just sell a nicotine booster bottle (which would be taxed) that the buyer would have to add themselves at home.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, there's always the DIY loophole. And this only really applies to stores selling e-liquid, local small businesses. They can't regulate internet sales...yet.

For the purposes of this section and section 5744.03 of the Revised Code, the “cigarette equivalent” of a vapor product shall equal one of the following amounts:
  1. If the vapor product is sold in liquid form, one-tenth of one milliliter of vapor product
  2. If the vapor product is sold in a nonliquid form, one gram of vapor product

Ohio stores could still theoretically sell e-liquid with 0 nic (not taxed), and then just sell a nicotine booster bottle (which would be taxed) that the buyer would have to add themselves at home.
Well, there's that...but I don't necessarily like the idea of handing super-concentrated nic over to someone who doesn't understand the inherent danger of what they're getting. DIY is simple to learn, but it still has to be learned...and no way in hell I'd trust an average B&M employee to teach it on the fly.

Interesting to find out I'm effectively smoking almost a half pack of cigs every time I drip, by the legislature's estimations...

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Well, there's that...but I don't necessarily like the idea of handing super-concentrated nic over to someone who doesn't understand the inherent danger of what they're getting.
No, I don't like it either. I'd be okay with doing it at this point, but it certainly isn't going to be a selling point for first-timers walking through the doors. No one is going to want to mess with that. Not shop owners or consumers.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They can't regulate internet sales...yet.

That's already in place. Look up the Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013. It was passed in May of 2013 and allows states to require online and other out of state retailers to collect sales tax at time of purchase. As a result, some states now have laws that require an online retailer to collect tax on a state that the business has facilities in.
for example, amazon.com has warehouses in PA so I get charged the PA sales tax when I buy from amazon.

While they can't really enforce it, I imagine there are hefty penalties for a business getting nailed for tax evasion.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bills like this will only enable the black market and bootlegging of juice and nic. Where I live, the legislature added taxes to raise the price of a pack of cigarettes to $11. A sizeable number of smokers began growing Burley and Bright Virginia tobacco in their back yards and on their decks, so the legislature tried to outlaw growing tobacco. That backfired spectacularly. The Native Americans said no, go fuck yourselves to the state government and average people got behind them due to government overreach.

Politician want to tax the crap out of whatever they can, they even tried to tax pacemakers and life saving drugs at exorbitant rates until they found out that the populace was willing to vote them out of office if they did. It still boggles the mind that these greedy idiots keep getting voted into office.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
they even tried to tax pacemakers and life saving drugs at exorbitant rates until they found out that the populace was willing to vote them out of office if they did.

Wow, that is a bit unbelievable. Have to wonder if it could even be considered extortion. Pay this extra cost or you die. lol.

Like healthcare services don't cost enough already.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here's the best part of HB64:

With this bill, Ohio is also attempting to increase the cigarette tax to 11.25 cents per cigarette. Taxes on e-liquid would be:
  • 10 mL bottle equals 100 cigarettes, therefore a $11.25 tax
  • 15 mL bottle equals 150 cigarettes, therefore a $16.88 tax
  • 30 mL bottle equals 300 cigarettes, therefore a $33.75 tax
I'm a light to moderate vaper and go through around 10-15mL each day. This stupid bill is claiming that I vape the equivalent of 100-150 cigarettes PER DAY. That's 5-8 packs.

o_O
Not being an Ohioan, I's hafta say FUCK Ohio...

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny thing about medicine, and why it cost so much - I cut my knee at work and put a bandaid on it. a few days later it was red and swollen so I made an appointment and went to my doc to get a prescription for PennVK (Penicillin). Paid a $25 office visit, then paid $20 for a prescription for 14 tablets. When I got my medical insurance statement it was $920 for the office visit, for 90 seconds of Dr. time. 90 Seconds. The insurance covered it since it was an office visit, but still, $920 for 90 seconds of Dr.visit. The system is hopelessly broken and rife with profiteering. The Doc's don't make as much as you think, however the insurance companies that cover them for malpractice plus the diminished medicare and medicaid rates makes the clinic bone the health insurance companies which in turn bone us.

madd cabbie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Zamazam If you would have paid for that Dr. Office visit out of pocket it would have been in the $75-150 price range. Dr charges insurance extra because of all the billing headaches, extra payroll and the fact he has to wait 3 months to get paid

VU Sponsors