Become a Patron!

Ohm reading of my coils

Sranec123

Member For 1 Year
Today i built my first clapton coils since i thought that those coils can be interesting to use/try. I was using parallel kanthal coils for a while and i have never used those more "complicated" wires ever before.

i was calculating how much wraps should i do so my ohms will be somewhere around 0.4 at
: http://www.steam-engine.org/

I got 0.426 so i started building my coils. I built them exactly like i put on that site. When i was testing my whole build, i got 0.71 on my ohm reader. I am so confused now.

I dont know if my ohm reader is bad or just that site isnt that accurate..

I found out that the ohm reader is always reading like 0.01-0.02 more than it maybe should but i dont think that this is the problem..

My only question is if steam-engine.org is accurate or not

PS: No i dont have any mod where i can test ohms ;) (i have only Dovpo MVV Box Mod)

And sorry for my bad english :(

Last edited:

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU. Coil spacing and placement can have an effect on the final read as well as small variances in the build process itself. A misreading in the .00 space is acceptable for all intents and purposes. What kind of wire are you using and what atomizer are you building on?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
imho coil resistance calculators cannot be as accurate on complex cols as on simple wire coils.
Too many variables in the complex coils.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe there is problem that not every wire have for example same spacing of wrap (outside) wire
Yep and perhaps even how tightly the outside wire is wrapped around the center wire (s)?
As I said more complex structure and harder to calculate.
Just read with meter after heating a bit then adjust length/wraps to suit.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a 2.5mm build with similar wire just a single coil ohms come out to .40 I don't use any calculators just start building. Wire is Vandy Vape 316L clapton 26ga+30ga

Kitsune

Member For 1 Year
You didn't measure the resistance when the coil was hot, did you?
I found the wire wizard to be in the +- 10% correctness range, but 0.3 ohm is quite a big difference on a supposed-to-be 0.4 ohm build.

I would guess around 5 wraps? 0.7 on a 26ga core Clapton is almost Kanthal range.

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Also, if you are making a contact coil, make sure there's no gaps, and if your making a spaced coil, make sure they're all spaced evenly. If you have some touching, and some spaced, it will throw off your readings...

VU Sponsors