ohms jumping single coil build

Discussion in 'New Builders Corner' started by brophmantooth, Feb 10, 2018.

1. brophmantooth

brophmantooth New Member

Blog Posts:
    I have the blitz Hannya postless rda. Built a single coil on it from stainless wire. Every time I put power through it the ohms change. Goes from 1.69 to 1.43 to 1.19 to .93 and sometimes it jumps to even 3.3. What's the reason for this and how to I fix it??? Heeeeeelp!​

2. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    You probably have a short or loose screws. Make sure the coil is not touching anything, like the top cap.

jives21 likes this.
  3. brophmantooth

brophmantooth New Member

Blog Posts:
    Would the screws that are not holding the coil affect anything? I moved one of them and now its staying at .77 which is what it was supposed to be originally

4. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    The empty screw holes wouldn't make any difference.

5. brophmantooth

brophmantooth New Member

Blog Posts:
    That's really weird. All I did was tighten the empty screws down so they wouldn't fall out and its steady. Well and swapped it from my t-priv to my evic mini. Oh well as long as its working

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  6. gbalkam

gbalkam Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Could be, if the screws were out and touching metal on the chimney. Always keep em screwed in. You don't want to lose them or have a short.

Neunerball likes this.
  7. Neunerball

Neunerball Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Reading all of your posts, it does make sense. I guess, if you were to totally unscrew (taking them out) every un-used screw, you might have a constant result, as well, as tightening down every un-used screw. However, it might have an influence for the overall resistance, for the un-used post screws (tightened, or not).
    It all makes sense, due to Ohm's Law.

8. gbalkam

gbalkam Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Resistance of the posts, screws or no screws is so low you can ignore it. For example.. take the resistance of a 26 ga wire vs 20 ga wire. Thicker wire is more conductive. (Like jumper cables on a car- thinner cables heat up, thicker ones don't)