Become a Patron!

Ohm's Law Calc Issues

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This thing throws a hundred figures at me, and some of them are negative numbers, and it says I'Lloyd get 7minutes out of my batteries when they last 3 days. What am I doing wrong?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More details needed.

7 minutes refers to actual runtime.

What are you trying to do with the calculator? What kind of batteries, mod, wattage desired, atomizer resistance, favorite color?

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
More details needed.

7 minutes refers to actual runtime.

What are you trying to do with the calculator? What kind of batteries, mod, wattage desired, atomizer resistance, favorite color?

Trying to calculate the current. 2 18650 Li-Ions, Ohmega Stacked 18650 series mech mod, idk what to desire for wattage, according to calc my Ohm's are .58 with 24 gauge 12 wrapped parallel coils, and my favorite color is neon green.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have an ohm meter? With a mech mod, you really should check your build on an ohm meter (coil tab) and not just assume it is of the resistance it "should" be. A little problem with the build can have a bad result. At the VERY LEAST check resistance on a regulated mod.

The actual battery, while not important for finding the amps pulled, is important to know it can safely have those amps drawn from it.

Go to the "battery drain" page on steam engine.
Select "mechanical (unregulated) mod.
Input your resistance.
Select the battery you are using from the dropdown menu
Adjust the voltage to 8.2 (since it is a series mod)

This should show you everything you need to know.

Not sure how to help with the neon green. Maybe someone else can chime in.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have an ohm meter? With a mech mod, you really should check your build on an ohm meter (coil tab) and not just assume it is of the resistance it "should" be. A little problem with the build can have a bad result.

The actual battery, while not important for finding the amps pulled, is important to know it can safely have those amps drawn from it.

Go to the "battery drain" page on steam engine.
Select "mechanical (unregulated) mod.
Input your resistance.
Select the battery you are using from the dropdown menu
Adjust the voltage to 8.2 (since it is a series mod)

This should show you everything you need to know.

Not sure how to help with the neon green. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I can'tell put it in an Ohm reader, it'seems not 510

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw your atomizer from your other thread.

Seems the only real way to test the resistance would be to get a multimeter to test. But would have to be a super high end multimeter. The one I have is not accurate enough to measure the builds used for vaping.

I, personally, would be very leary of building on this thing (or any mech) without a for sure way to measure resistance. No idea why they would make it so you can't use a coil tab. Stupid. Dangerous. "Proprietary". Irresponsible.

Just curious if this is your first mech?

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Seems the only real way to test the resistance would be to get a multimeter to test. But would have to be a super high end multimeter. The one I have is not accurate enough to measure the builds used for vaping.

I, personally, would be very leary of building on this thing (or any mech) without a for sure way to measure resistance. No idea why they would make it so you can't use a coil tab. Stupid. Dangerous. "Proprietary". Irresponsible.

It is my first mech, yes. I've heard A LOT of people say this mod isn't for new vapers and they wouldn't even recommend it for intermediate, you should only use it if you really know exactly what you're doing, but I'm a fast learner and I'm very careful. I did all the research I could about Ohm's law and battery safety before I even tried to build on it, and I put everything through the calculator to make sure it was in the safe range dor this mod (the lowest recommended is .35 and I'm running .59 according to the calc) it just threw more figures at me than I expected it to lol

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Do Ohm's run different from this RDA than they would through a 510? Because this mod came with a 510 cap, so if I get a 510 RDA, could I put my coils in it, put it in a reader, get my Ohm's, put the coils back in this one and the Ohms would be the same?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would, personally, not build on it.

Please, take this as a word of warning for your well being and safety and not as an insult. But, if you cannot understand how an ohms law calculator works at this time, and cannot accurately measure the actual resistance of your atomizer, put them away until you can.

A series mech is not something to "figure out as you go"

Best of luck and be safe.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing too difficult about it, and I have faith that you will learn how to safely use it, but please have an excellent understanding of what you are doing before using the series mod. With a hybrid connection.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and I put everything through the calculator to make sure it was in the safe range dor this mod (the lowest recommended is .35 and I'm running .59 according to the calc) it just threw more figures at me than I expected it to lol

This is what your build is "supposed to" have for a resistance. But you have no idea what your resistance actually is. Not only could you have a short in your build, but what if there is a loose/defective part in your atomizer causing a serious short? Would suck badly to find out the hard way.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do Ohm's run different from this RDA than they would through a 510? Because this mod came with a 510 cap, so if I get a 510 RDA, could I put my coils in it, put it in a reader, get my Ohm's, put the coils back in this one and the Ohms would be the same?

No.

Need to know the resistance in the particular atomizer. Could have a manufacturing defect, nothing to do with the actual coils, and be a time bomb.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would use another rda with the 510 adapter at least until you can find a way to read resistance accurately on their "proprietary" hybrid connection.

That is, if you have a way to measure the resistance on a 510.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It is my first mech, yes. I've heard A LOT of people say this mod isn't for new vapers and they wouldn't even recommend it for intermediate, you should only use it if you really know exactly what you're doing, but I'm a fast learner and I'm very careful.

I'd beg to differ, if you were careful and a fast learner, you would LISTEN to what people have told you and not use a mech until you know that the fuck you are doing

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd beg to differ, if you were careful and a fast learner, you would LISTEN to what people have told you and not use a mech until you know that the fuck you are doing

I do LISTEN to what people tell me, and I've taken every precautionary measure I've been advised to take and studied everything it was suggested that I study. People say not to use these because they're dangerous. When they say this, they say "These are the signs to watch out for", and I actively and mindfully watch for the signs; hot buttons and uneven batteries and whatnot. I understand the cause for concern, but I also understand that no amount of reading and studying will get you anywhere without hands on experience to go with it. the only thing I DON'T know is how to measure my Ohms with this particular RDA. Other than that, I've learned all there is to learn (except, apparently, how to read the damn calculator and all it's information it gives in addition to Ohms and volts and amps). All that was left after that was to put knowledge to the test, and the only way to do that was to use my mod. It's been exceptional thus far, and so long as I alternate my batteries to keep them even and keep my builds uniform, I can't foresee any issues arising while I figure out how to calculate my exact Ohms. I've measured my coils, I know my battery's limitations, I know how to build and how to wick properly, I've extensively studied relationships and corelations between figures in Ohm's Law, and I've married my batteries, as advised. What else would you say I should learn before continuing to use my device?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the only thing I DON'T know is how to measure my Ohms with this particular RDA

This might be the most important part in not blowing your teeth out. And a pre-requisite to safe use. Rolling the dice otherwise.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gonna sound like a dick here. But, if u know how to build and are experienced, you would know that builds do not always end up perfect and have no flaws 100% of the time. And this should scare you shitless to vape with an unknown resistance on a mech. A series mech, no less. With even the smallest chance of facial deformation.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gonna sound like a dick here. But, if u know how to build and are experienced, you would know that builds do not always end up perfect and have no flaws 100% of the time. And this should scare you shitless to vape with an unknown resistance on a mech. A series mech, no less. With even the smallest chance of facial deformation.

You don't sound like a dick, as always I'm more than eager to get any advice that I can, but at this point all the advice I'm getting is repetitive "just don't do it" shit. If you tell me "Don't climb a tree until you know what you're doing, you could get hurt", then don't tell me how to go about gaining knowledge about what I'm doing, how am I ever going to climb the tree? I don't know why a tree, but I couldn't think of a better analogy. We already know that with this mod we CAN'T /ACCURATELY/ measure Ohms, even with a multimeter scanner. So what? Nobody in the history of ever no matter what should ever use this mod forever?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't sound like a dick, as always I'm more than eager to get any advice that I can, but at this point all the advice I'm getting is repetitive "just don't do it" shit. If you tell me "Don't climb a tree until you know what you're doing, you could get hurt", then don't tell me how to go about gaining knowledge about what I'm doing, how am I ever going to climb the tree? I don't know why a tree, but I couldn't think of a better analogy. We already know that with this mod we CAN'T /ACCURATELY/ measure Ohms, even with a multimeter scanner. So what? Nobody in the history of ever no matter what should ever use this mod forever?

Yes. In my honest opinion. Nobody in the history of ever.

Kinda like bungee jumping. Sure, there is always gonna be a risk, even on a tested system.

But, with this setup, untested, it is exactly like setting up a bungee jump setup for the first time. And using a human as the test dummy on the very first jump. Only relying on a calculation for safety measure.

It is repetitive. Because you do not seem to understand the risk inherent in what you are doing. I am vaping a series hybrid right now. Only because i know my resistance and amp draw. Not just "should be" resistance. I have built a coil or 2 that, had I not checked it, may have changed my life for the worst. Be safe. Take every precaution with mechs. Because NO precautions are built in. Mistakes happen. Catch them before going live. And, i really hope you are using a good battery.

Last edited:

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do LISTEN to what people tell me, and I've taken every precautionary measure I've been advised to take and studied everything it was suggested that I study. People say not to use these because they're dangerous. When they say this, they say "These are the signs to watch out for", and I actively and mindfully watch for the signs; hot buttons and uneven batteries and whatnot. I understand the cause for concern, but I also understand that no amount of reading and studying will get you anywhere without hands on experience to go with it. the only thing I DON'T know is how to measure my Ohms with this particular RDA. Other than that, I've learned all there is to learn (except, apparently, how to read the damn calculator and all it's information it gives in addition to Ohms and volts and amps). All that was left after that was to put knowledge to the test, and the only way to do that was to use my mod. It's been exceptional thus far, and so long as I alternate my batteries to keep them even and keep my builds uniform, I can't foresee any issues arising while I figure out how to calculate my exact Ohms. I've measured my coils, I know my battery's limitations, I know how to build and how to wick properly, I've extensively studied relationships and corelations between figures in Ohm's Law, and I've married my batteries, as advised. What else would you say I should learn before continuing to use my device?
A 521 tab ohm checker from coilmaster would allow you to measure and check your builds... you shouldn't be building coils on a mech without being able to check for resistance and for shorts... can't stress enough how dangerous it can be, ESPECIALLY on a series mech. Super dangerous man. And yeah I'd pick up a rda with standard 510 style, but you need to make sure it's safe for a hybrid connection ( positive post sticks out at least 2 or 3 mm past the threads) . Hands on is always good experience but some things you need to be extra careful cuz in this case a mistake could seriously injure you or people around you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And yeah I'd pick up a rda with standard 510 style, but you need to make sure it's safe for a hybrid connection ( positive post sticks out at least 2 or 3 mm past the threads) .

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Done posting on this thread. Plenty of advice to keep you safe. Wheter or not you heed it is up to you. I would not use that thing. But, the choice is yours.

Be safe.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The RDA and Mech combined being proprietary connected, they are married together basically is a true "Hybrid" connection, threading matches the mod and the copper pin at the bottom is down far enough you won't run into a battery positive post contacting the negative threads of the RDA type of short. You need a semi-decent Digital Multi-Meter, $50 USD or higher in price. Red DMM lead will be touched to the copper pin at the bottom of the RDA, black DMM lead will touch to the threads, this will give a rough ballpark reading like any 510 style ohm reader will. 0.5 to 0.6 will be about the lowest you will want the reading to be with a series mech. Read before firing, then if reading is safe enough pulse the coils and crimp them to fire evenly, after check the screws on the RDA, then re-read the build as the reading may have changed after forst pulses.

Honestly, if wanting to get into mechs, set your Ohmega aside, don't even look at it, get yourself a cheap clone RDA and clone single battery mech mod, and practice on those until you get the hang of building and such, and especially while you wait to get a decent DMM ($100 to $150 USD price at least) to read that Ohmega RDA even remotely accurately.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The RDA and Mech combined being proprietary connected, they are married together basically is a true "Hybrid" connection, threading matches the mod and the copper pin at the bottom is down far enough you won't run into a battery positive post contacting the negative threads of the RDA type of short. You need a semi-decent Digital Multi-Meter, $50 USD or higher in price. Red DMM lead will be touched to the copper pin at the bottom of the RDA, black DMM lead will touch to the threads, this will give a rough ballpark reading like any 510 style ohm reader will. 0.5 to 0.6 will be about the lowest you will want the reading to be with a series mech. Read before firing, then if reading is safe enough pulse the coils and crimp them to fire evenly, after check the screws on the RDA, then re-read the build as the reading may have changed after forst pulses.

Honestly, if wanting to get into mechs, set your Ohmega aside, don't even look at it, get yourself a cheap clone RDA and clone single battery mech mod, and practice on those until you get the hang of building and such, and especially while you wait to get a decent DMM ($100 to $150 USD price at least) to read that Ohmega RDA even remotely accurately.
^^^that pretty well sums it up

VU Sponsors