Ohms?

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Depends on how big you wrapped it and how long the legs are. I do 8 wraps of 24 around a 3/32 drill but and that comes out around .6. Are you wrapping around a 5/64 bit or smaller?

d138e08d9b408070a9909a6b23a69613.jpg
this is what I have used to wrap with a 0 precision screwdriver

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've never tried on one of those, but it should work well. What kind of meter are you using? If it's a reliable meter, then it sounds like you indeed wrapped a .23 ohm coil. Is that what you were going for? You looking for more or less?

MoFo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That seems a little low. If my calculations are correct 3 - 3/4 wraps of 24g would get you to around med to low .2 range. Dual 24g at 6 wraps would get you down to where you're at. Could you post a pic of your build please?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dual 6/5 wraps on a 2mm mandrel (although your '0' screwdriver shaft looks closer to 2.5mm) with 5mm legs... that's about right for 0.2Ω +/- net resistance. I'd suggest you start using drill bits, or get a digital caliper, so you can make accurate diameter measurements of unidentified mandrels.

Bear in mind that ohm meter / build boxes are usually, at best, accurate to 0.1% of range. Deep sub-ohm can be dangerous because the current draw values double at a rapid rate. 7 amps from .20Ω to .15Ω ~ 14 amps (to 42a) from .15Ω to .10Ω.
If you're unsure... make sure you have the best battery and (low VD) mech you can afford, and discontinue use if mech heat exceeds reasonable comfort levels.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ahh dual coils. Makes sense.

joowan

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

A good way to think of wire is think of them as water hoses, as you let the power out a thinner hose will give more reisistance than a thicker hose, likewise 2 hoses will get rid of water (power) twice as fast therefore half the resistance.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A good way to think of wire is think of them as water hoses, as you let the power out a thinner hose will give more reisistance than a thicker hose, likewise 2 hoses will get rid of water (power) twice as fast therefore half the resistance.
That's my favorite analogy for resistance.

VU Sponsors