Become a Patron!

Ok, ready to go RTA, please advice!

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I didn't think I would ever do this, but I am ready.

I am tired of rebuying coils all the time, and I am am bigtime flavor junkie, and am limited what what I am doing.

SO, I am ready to build my own.

So, give me some advice KNOWING:

I want something EASY, I am not a mechanic or electrician here. I want something fairly easy to build.

I want top of the line! I was a tank that I will have for a long time. Right now I have 4 subs, again, tired of switching out frequently and buying coils. I vape a lot.

So, advise me on the tank to get. I hear Gemini a lot?

Also, what all do i need? Kanthal wire and ???? A simple list of things to get would be great.

I know this forum is the best, so push me forward! Can't wait to get started!

Thanks

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, also, although everyone likes a cloud, this is NOT my main factor. FLAVOR FLAVOR FLAVOR, that's what it's all about for me!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Airy, restrictive, number of coils? There are a buzzillion RTAs out there right now but not all are equal, lol.

Do yourself a favor though and get SS wire, not kanthal

falon1000

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you like a direct lung hit I'd recommend the herakles rta-2 tank.

It's what I use, has pretty much fool proof wicking.

It also has air flow right below the coils which gives it amazing flavor in my opinion.

I also support SS instead of kanthal for the sake of TC.
I've yet to mess with SS but I have kanthal Clapton's

I also use rayon for wicking, imo it makes the flavor taste cleaner and it wicks juice fast

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently bought an authentic Avocado 24. Easy to build. Easy to wick. Tastes great. Has a wide range for air choices. Not too pricey.

I've just switched from premade coils myself, so I can't say if there are better or not. Just that it works well for me. And with a single 1.6 ohm coil, 16 watts and 50/50 juice, I'm not getting clouds, LOL. Just flavor.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
SS is so much easier to deal with than Kanthal and can be used in wattage, TC or on a mech

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SS wire - yes second that. Avocado 24 .. org or the new 'bottom flow' - easy to build on and great flavor. Lot of people liking the supreme right now ..(still waiting for mine so can't say more) it's also easy to build on. Limitless is good for flavor and building is easy .. (just not happy with their latest re business practices ;p ) Way lots of good tanks out there tho.. what tanks have you used/liked so far ? that would maybe give an idea of what you would like.

(Temco has great wire at good prices - They are my go to: http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com...arch_bar=1&t1=stainless&submit_x=0&submit_y=0)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Something to clip the wire - snips or nail clippers,
Something to wrap the coils around, like a screwdriver or drill bit, OR one that practically does the work for you, Kuro coiler or Coil Master
Tiny screwdriver(s)
Ohm reader (some just use their mod, I prefer having a reader)
Some torch their coils with a butane torch thing (I need more coffee, surprised I got this far), I use a lighter (I do simple builds with kanthal)
I keep scissors in my kit, handy to have.
I like rayon wicking, many prefer organic cotton.
I keep a tiny brush for cleaning coils
TWEAZERS!!! (ceramic tipped, or not)

I've never used an Alleria, Boreas or Aromamizer Supreme, but I hear great things about them for DL/flavor tanks.

I'm MTL, my main tank is a Goblin Mini v1, I also use the v2. I like the flavor from Merlin and Serpent Mini, lots of fans for those, sadly mine gave me issues no matter what I tried, many did not. Easy to build on, excellent flavor, though.

Any tank with a velocity deck is REALLY easy to build on.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
MTL: SJMY clone of either Kayfun V5 or the Hurricane Jr
DTL: Limitless Plus or the Mage

As for what you need accessory wise, the Coil Master DIY kit or the Geekvape 521 kit has everything you need at a decent price. Just need to supply wire & cotton which you can go to https://www.lightningvapes.com for wire & Amazon for cotton (Koh Gen Do or Muji pads)

Cagey75

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For flavor it's hard to top the Mage RTA IMHO. It's easy enough build on and wick once you get used to it.

I have the Herakles RTA-2 also, which is easier build on, has larger juice capacity, but is more a cloud chucker than flavor beast. It's not bad for flavor, but not a patch on the Mage.

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for those that posted the simple lists, making it easy!

Quick questions:

Why SS over Kanthal?

Also, after doing some self research, was sort of set on getting the Bellow V2? Seems to get very positive reviews out there. Anyone have or can recommend this tank?

Thanks all

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for those that posted the simple lists, making it easy!

Quick questions:

Why SS over Kanthal?

Also, after doing some self research, was sort of set on getting the Bellow V2? Seems to get very positive reviews out there. Anyone have or can recommend this tank?

Thanks all

With SS you don't have to do all that torching before building the coil. It also has a faster ramp up time.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I sub-ohm DL with wide open air flow so can't comment as to how well these work for MTL with the air shut down most of the way but my favorites I have tried so far for flavor:
- Merlin for Single Coil 22m
- Griffin for Dual Coil 22mm
- Billow V3 Plus for Dual Coil 25mm

I got a ton of other tanks in the stockpile I haven't got around to trying yet.

Cagey75

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Quick questions:

Why SS over Kanthal?

I like SS for a few reasons, I find it cleaner tasting than Kanthal, just a teensy bit though - The ramp up time is better, and you can build wider coils to the same resistance [about double the wraps for similar results] - which is great for flavor. It's just as easy work with too, plus you can use it in TC mode if desired.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Something to clip the wire - snips or nail clippers,
Something to wrap the coils around, like a screwdriver or drill bit, OR one that practically does the work for you, Kuro coiler or Coil Master
Tiny screwdriver(s)
Ohm reader (some just use their mod, I prefer having a reader)
Some torch their coils with a butane torch thing (I need more coffee, surprised I got this far), I use a lighter (I do simple builds with kanthal)
I keep scissors in my kit, handy to have.
I like rayon wicking, many prefer organic cotton.
I keep a tiny brush for cleaning coils
TWEAZERS!!! (ceramic tipped, or not)

I've never used an Alleria, Boreas or Aromamizer Supreme, but I hear great things about them for DL/flavor tanks.

I'm MTL, my main tank is a Goblin Mini v1, I also use the v2. I like the flavor from Merlin and Serpent Mini, lots of fans for those, sadly mine gave me issues no matter what I tried, many did not. Easy to build on, excellent flavor, though.

Any tank with a velocity deck is REALLY easy to build on.

Been using the OG Goblin Mini on my Asmodus at 45 watts and ,2 ohm coil. Silly small deck but intense flavor. I've been using the Serpent Mini on my Sig 213 without an issue at 40 watts. Single .2 alien coil. I'm using a Limitless Plus w/ a .25 on my tube Limitless - works fine. Have an Avocado 24 on my series mod w/ a .35 build and its fine (piglet). I'm not really a fan of the big tanks. I gave away my VCMT 25 and my Modfather. They worked a treat but they drank my juice. When I want to go that route I use an RDA on my mechs which I thoroughly enjoy.

Did that help, lol. Of course not. There are a slew of really good options out there. My best RTA is my CoilArt Mage. I enjoy it a lot and it sits on my DNA 200 HCigar. Of course the battery only lasts me about three hours. So there is no answer as to which is best. Everyone has their preferences.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been using the Serpent Mini on my Sig 213 without an issue
I'm still playing around with the wicking style on this one. So far, the AFC always has juice on it. Still totally usable, but annoying. Next up, I'll be following "Todd the reviewer" style wicking and see if that nips it in the bud. I may have made them too short, too long wasn't any good either. Yet, another, baby bear tank... gotta get it just right. I suppose this is why I have a deep love for the GM v1. Never an issue.

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Decided not to buy online and give my local shop some busines. Got the SS wire.

Tank I got the avocado 24. We shall see I guess

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, quick question. i don't have one of those OHM readers. Can i do the build without it? Isn't there a way you can check that just using your mod? Please inform! Thanks. Want to get my build going without running to the store again!

falon1000

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If your mod is regulated you can put the tank on it and it should show your ohms. If not you would need a ohm reader

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To be honest, do u even HAVE to check your ohms? If you use 2" and the right wire, get your coils lighting up right, is there really a reason to even have to check this?

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How would that happen though? What in the process would throw that off?

Also, I think you need to be a scientist to figure out that steam engine site! wth? ohkay....

falon1000

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A hard short could throw it off.
Too little resistance could as well

My mod is a rx200s so I just use it to check my ohms

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To be honest, do u even HAVE to check your ohms? If you use 2" and the right wire, get your coils lighting up right, is there really a reason to even have to check this?

Safety wise, yes .. more for mech/unregulated - or unprotected mods than for the more modern regulated mods. But always good to keep a check on. Other reasons? To vape efficiently and consistently, replicating builds that work and others that don't. Flavors of dif juices will vary at different temps/volts so keeping at least a minimum eye on such things does make a big difference IMO

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Uuugh, sorry, I must be dumb. I don't get this OHM stuff at all, i probably do need that thing. I watch utube and read on it and I still don't get it. I know it is basically for battery safety, but I just don't understand. Can someone here simplify this for me?

I have a Hohm Wrecker G1, using 2 3.7 VOLT batteries. I posted the tank I have about. Using 24 SS wire.

So, what the heck should I be looking for? How do I do it?

RIght now, I only have the Mod, so someone would have to explain to me how the heck and what the heck I put into that website above.

OR, should I go to my vape store tomm and get an OHM reader, and THEN what should I be looking for on that?

Usually, with the help of UTUBE, i can pick up anything, but my brain is just spinning circles on this right now.

I'm not even that stupid, I swear. Like i said, I think it just need to be explained about it differently. I just don't get it, and I certainly don't know how the heck to do it, or check it.

Sucks, I was all excited to make my first build, but this OHM garbage has everything on hold. GRRRRRR

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You have a Hohm Wrecker G1, it is a regulated mod. When you put your new tank on it, it will show the resistance (ohms) of your coils. If there is a short or the resistance is too low it will not fire the coil. You are good to go with your G1.

If you choose to venture into mechanical mods, please purchase an ohm meter and learn Ohm's Law before putting a battery in that mod. With mech mods the only protection is between your ears.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Uuugh, sorry, I must be dumb. I don't get this OHM stuff at all, i probably do need that thing. I watch utube and read on it and I still don't get it. I know it is basically for battery safety, but I just don't understand. Can someone here simplify this for me?

I have a Hohm Wrecker G1, using 2 3.7 VOLT batteries. I posted the tank I have about. Using 24 SS wire.

So, what the heck should I be looking for? How do I do it?

RIght now, I only have the Mod, so someone would have to explain to me how the heck and what the heck I put into that website above.

OR, should I go to my vape store tomm and get an OHM reader, and THEN what should I be looking for on that?

Usually, with the help of UTUBE, i can pick up anything, but my brain is just spinning circles on this right now.

I'm not even that stupid, I swear. Like i said, I think it just need to be explained about it differently. I just don't get it, and I certainly don't know how the heck to do it, or check it.

Sucks, I was all excited to make my first build, but this OHM garbage has everything on hold. GRRRRRR
Under their Coil Wrapping tab, first select from the drop down box which SS wire you're using.

upload_2016-8-17_23-16-38.png
Next tab, select the gauge
upload_2016-8-17_23-17-23.png

Next tab... what type of coil
upload_2016-8-17_23-18-9.png

What resistance would you like?

upload_2016-8-17_23-19-0.png

Then the size of whatever you're wrapping on, be it a screwdriver, a coiler, a nail, or a drill bit, just plug in the size of that. That's your inner diameter of the coil you will wrap.
upload_2016-8-17_23-20-32.png

In this example, using SS 316, a single coil, resistance of 0.5 ohms, 3mm ID, these are the results.

upload_2016-8-17_23-24-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-17_23-22-55.png
    upload_2016-8-17_23-22-55.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 8

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
THANK YOU!!!!!!

So appreciative for you fine folks on this board!

Am hoping to have this going by tonight, will keep you all posted.

Again, I THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for the time you have invested in helping me out. It is very much appreciated!

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I DID IT! My first successful build! Some quick thoughts and can I get some feedback please.

I am running at .39 ohms. I take it that is ok?

It's funny, I thought the hardest part of the whole build was getting cotton thru the coils! That is a small opening to get thru! That was probably harder than making the coils! lol

My only concerns I guess, and maybe this is more the Avocado I am using more than anything? I get these tiny little "hot sparks" it feels like on my tounge frequently when I inhale. A bit of "popping" even. It doesn't really bother me but should I be concerned about it?

Also, the top of that Avocado gets hot, REAL hot. Makes it hard to vape on it if I am hitting it frequently.

Here is my biggest disappointment though. What is the number 1 reason I did this? FOR MORE FLAVOR!

So far, I am getting quite a bit LESS flavor than I did from my Tobecco or Herkales. Is this just a cotton thing? Should I work to get more cotton down in the holes of the atomizer?

That was just very disappointing, work to get to this point, and it seems like I wasn't rewarded.

Oh well, still happy I completed my first build. Thanks again everyone, and if anyone has any insight to how i might get better flavor or what is possibly wrong, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks again.

Cagey75

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Avocado has decent flavor when wicked correctly. You want it so the cotton is not overly tight in the coils, but also not too loose. best way to describe it, is have the cotton just tight enough, that it stays put, put you can still gently pull it back and forth with a little resistance. You're getting spitting most likely because the cotton is too loose, you didn't use enough. When I had my Avocado I barely dipped the wicks through the holes, you are leaving them too long it sounds like. You only want them to just cover the holes, with the cotton 'fluffy' not tight. Don't worry, juice will get to the wicks as you vape. Get it right and you will get better flavor.

uniman4

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Actually, turned up the wattage a bit, and the flavor really seems to be coming on now! YEAH!!!

You are correct, I probably didn't use enough cotton. It was darn near impossible to get that much to go thru those coils, i had to keep cutting back to make my "self rolled cotton roll" small enough to go thru each coil.

Any tips for that? I kept rolling it in my hand, but the line between getting enuf thru those coils but not enuf so it starts breaking off when you try to pull it through the coil.

Just never thought THAT would as tough as it was. Maybe I will get better hang of it as i do it.

Cagey75

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What I do is pull with one hand [well, thumb and forefinger] and lightly 'tug' back, just giving a little resistance, on the back side. I roll the cotton in my hand too, if it's too tight you're just cutting your cotton a little wide to begin with. It can be trial and error to get it bang on. But when you do get it right remember how much you used. And try the short wicks I suggested, just barely dip them into the juice holes loose-ish. If you're not getting good flavour it might be just bad wicking/too tight. If you're getting spit back it's too loose ... I know ... I know ... but that's the key, the in between :D

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Maybe I will get better hang of it as i do it.
You will, it'll become second nature on how much, or little, to use. Cotton has a bit of "break in" time IME. I switched to rayon, but not everyone is a fan of that, either.

VU Sponsors