Become a Patron!

OK-was I mistaken, and the VTC4 IS still in production? I thought it was just the VTC5?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi everyone.

I am on a facebook vaping group, but everyone there seems to have a lot of conflicting information.

When I started vaping, I was told to stay away from VTC4's due to them ALL being fake, as Sony stopped production, and only the VTC5 is still in production.

But-many people are saying that yesterday Mooch proved VTC4's are still in production-is this true?

It won't mean much to me, as I don't really need those extra amps, but I do occasionally like a blast at higher wattage-and the VTC4's would be perfect for that.

So, can anyone confirm if I am just late on the news, and VTC4's are still produced, or the people on facebook are wrong?

Thanks everyone, Conan.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK I have found a supplier in the UK that is genuine, confirmed by torchy. But, as I rarely go over 50W, high power vaping for me is 80-100W, I think my 25R's and HE4's will do. Just glad I can still get them if I needed them.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK I have found a supplier in the UK that is genuine, confirmed by torchy. But, as I rarely go over 50W, high power vaping for me is 80-100W, I think my 25R's and HE4's will do. Just glad I can still get them if I needed them.
Yep ;)

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But-many people are saying that yesterday Mooch proved VTC4's are still in production-is this true?

What Mooch did, with permission, was to post the letter Sony sent to OriginVape this week.

It's a Cease & Desist request (not from a lawyer) explaining that the VTCs were only ever produced for tool and specialty purposes and outside of their initial enclosures... they lack the designed safety protections... etc. etc. Nor was it specific to model.

The specific language in the letter is... "... they were only produced... etc." Past tense.

But it's from a Sony PR person, not a legal document. May be a language error.
See the problem?

And I wonder if a massive slew of letters are going out to other vendors. :p

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My thoughts on the matter, and these are only my thoughts, not fact, is that Sony does still produce the VTC 3, 4 and 5. It only produces them for use in tools and such. It doesn't want them to be used by vapors for fear of lawsuits and such stating that it's unprotected and such. Of course we want unprotected cells and such because PCBs keep us from using a cell to its fullest and will ruin a cell if we attempt to use as such.

So long as people like Mooch and Jon over at Li-ionwholesales continue to test and approve of the current crop of VTC3s, 4s, and 5s I will continue to suggest people use them if they fit their needs.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty sure http://rtdvapor.com/ has authentic's I've never heard 1 single complaint about them selling fakes ever.Only problem is they don't ship internationally.
I'd stay of eBay though as it seems that's where most of the fakes are.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What Mooch did, with permission, was to post the letter Sony sent to OriginVape this week.

It's a Cease & Desist request (not from a lawyer) explaining that the VTCs were only ever produced for tool and specialty purposes and outside of their initial enclosures... they lack the designed safety protections... etc. etc. Nor was it specific to model.

The specific language in the letter is... "... they were only produced... etc." Past tense.

But it's from a Sony PR person, not a legal document. May be a language error.
See the problem?

And I wonder if a massive slew of letters are going out to other vendors. :p
This is what I thought, everything is in past tense.

I can completely understand sony not wanting a lawsuit from a vaper blowing their hand off-but I have been informed by someone his friend gets them from Sony Europe, he runs some type of business that uses the batteries, and he gets them that way.

I actually ordered some-but thinking about it, I don't know why I did now. The 25R and HE4 is well enough for my uses-and because of the possible dodgy nature, I am not sure about mech use, so will probably marry them for a regulated device.

Was a bit silly, as anyone can claim to have authentic batteries. It seems that the VTC4 is in production-or at least in peoples minds.

I did read though that is was due to the Fukashima incident, and they now manufacture them in Taiwan if I remember correctly.

Think 25R's and HE4's will still be my go to battery though for all round performance. Or 30q's when I want a bit more capacity.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I figure if I wanted to really rock hard, I'd hunt down some LG HB4s or 6s.
The really monster HB2s seem either ridiculously expensive or out of stock.

They're all lower mAh than the VTC4, but... ya gotta pay somewhere.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I figure if I wanted to really rock hard, I'd hunt down some LG HB4s or 6s.
The really monster HB2s seem either ridiculously expensive or out of stock.

They're all lower mAh than the VTC4, but... ya gotta pay somewhere.
To be honest, I don't actually need batteries that are capable of a higher than 20A amp load, I don't vape high wattage, and if I do, it's 80W or so. So the 25R or HE4 is just the cheapest, most viable option for me really.

If you do need the extra though, I agree, got to be a trade off somewhere.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As people have said, the VTC4 and 5 seem to be being made again. I've seen evidence of both with very recent date codes.

Both good cells, both sometimes misunderstood in regards to their amp limits. Mooch and his battery tests do an excellent t job of explaining the "is the VTCx a 30a cell".

Many people like the Sony high drains. Ever since a he'll of a lot of fakes started to appear in 2014 I switched to using mainly Samsung 25r. Fakes aren't an issue if you buy from good vendors, but in the UK 25R are very common and can be relied upon to be genuine.

I use LG HB6 in my single cell tubes, LG HG2 in my series regulated mods for ultimate cell life and Samsung 25R in parallel and series mech boxes. I also own and like LG HE2 LG HE4 (both 2500mAh 20A) and some LG HD2 25A cells for builds just a hair under 0.2ohms and where I want more than 1500mAh that a HB6 would give.

As long as people are using good quality OEM cells from reliable vendors, it makes me feel better that they're enjoying the product of millions of Pounds / Dollars of research and development and safety testing that the big brands put I to their cells

VU Sponsors