Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Come to think of it, I still have about 40 pounds of pecans left over from after the places stopped buying them. I'm gonna have to find the time to shell them and stick them in the freezer. Should yield about 10 to 12 pounds or so.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Come to think of it, I still have about 40 pounds of pecans left over from after the places stopped buying them. I'm gonna have to find the time to shell them and stick them in the freezer. Should yield about 10 to 12 pounds or so.
Definitely...like you mentioned, they cost as much as Gold...!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Old Pharts. Hope you've all had or are having a good day.

@Lady Sarah you're making me remember when my kids were younger, my oldest daughter had a friend whose grandmother had a pecan grove. Daughter went with her friend to help gather pecans one Saturday, came home with a paper grocery sack full of them in the shell. I had the best time. Spread a piece of newspaper on my lap, grocery bag at my feet, crack those nuts with my hands and munch away. I love 'em, and that sack full lasted us for months! Don't think I've ever had pecans quite as good as those. Made plenty of brownies and pecan pie, pecan pancakes, candied pecans, all that good stuff. If I had some now, I'd make a batch of homemade butter pecan ice cream. Or PRALINES, be still my heart. Pralines on the riverfront in Savannah. Decadent.

I stayed home sick today. Have my meds all messed up, am out of several things that I really should be taking, so I'm just a mess too. This accident my son was in is going to break us. He's been out of work now for over a month and everyone's bills are piling up. It's a disgrace how this is being handled by the at-fault guy's insurance company. Who can go completely without income for however long it takes to recover from a relatively serious injury that was SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT? They refuse to issue any payment until the entire claim is ready to be settled. All they are doing is trying to force my son back to work before he is healed and ready. They know regular people can't go completely without income indefinitely. Assholes, crooks, sonsabitches. Son hired a lawyer last week and I hope he screws that insurance company's balls to the wall. Pissed? You damn skippy.

Enough of that.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Ryedan please have your wife check with her dentist to find out if the denture(s) she got are 6-month temporaries. I got really screwed by my dental insurance company because my dentist did not tell me that my partial was a temporary, so then the insurance company refused to pay their part of a replacement once I'd had the temporary for more than six months. They will only pay for a replacement every five years, even though I'd had to have that temporary repaired FOUR TIMES over the course of a couple of years, to the tune of $150-$180 each time.

Will say that I was amazed at that whole process, when I had the partial fitted. I had broken one of my eye teeth eating popcorn in a theater, so off I go to the dentist and find out that it's gonna cost me about $3,200 to have everything done...and I nearly freaked...but. I went in for an exam and impressions, then went back a couple weeks later and they put me to sleep and did all the work. I woke up with four teeth fewer than I had when I went to sleep, plus two fillings, and that partial already fitted. I didn't take it out for about a week, I believe, just rinsed my mouth with some antibacterial wash they gave me, took some antibiotics, and let my mouth heal. I had NO, repeat NO, pain. No dry sockets, no bleeding, no pain. I don't know how it was possible.

When I found out the business about the insurance, I went looking for a place that could do a partial for a price I could afford to pay in cash. Found one down in Greensboro that did a cast metal partial for me for $750 all inclusive. I do not expect to ever have to replace this thing. It is built like a brick sh*thouse. Did have to take a nail file to it a few times to get it to be more comfortable. I am really happy with it now. It feels really sturdy and doesn't rub anywhere or cause any discomfort at all. I can eat a Snickers bar and the caramel doesn't pull my partial out of place. Everyone knows that's the real test, eh? :giggle:

Thanks for the advice nadalama, I'll ask Di to check about the temp vs permanent denture next time she sees the denturist which should be in a couple of weeks if all goes well in the meantime. It will be good to know for sure what we've got.

She took it out for the first time here tonight, and I helped her rinse her mouth gently with salt water. She put it back in after about half an hour. We're going to do this daily for the next couple of weeks as long as it seems to help. The salt water rinse is my idea from my experience with my gum issues the last few years. Time will tell if we're on the right track. In the end, all you can do is try something and see how it goes. So far she's doing pretty good IMO :)

Di has had a partial for years now and that went well until too many of her remaining upper teeth developed problems. We knew that would happen, the partial was just a temporary way of keeping the rest of her own teeth a bit longer. Hopefully the full denture works as well for her going forward.

Hopefully she can pass the Snickers bar test in a few months :D

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty much the same here.
down to 2 ML of 100mg nic in 120 ML of juice.

I'm pretty tuckered tonight Robert, but if I did my math correctly I think that's around 1.7 mg/ml. Please correct me if I got that wrong.

I'm vaping ~0.2 mg (have not done a test on my nic base, I'm going by the advertised concentration) and that suits me just fine. I don't think I need the nic for the sake of the typical nic effect, it's just the only way I can get some real TH in my vape which I really appreciate. I heat up my nic base in the microwave slightly to 'degrade' it so it gets a bit snarlier.

Hey, whatever works :vino:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty tuckered tonight Robert, but if I did my math correctly I think that's around 1.7 mg/ml. Please correct me if I got that wrong.

I'm vaping ~0.2 mg (have not done a test on my nic base, I'm going by the advertised concentration) and that suits me just fine. I don't think I need the nic for the sake of the typical nic effect, it's just the only way I can get some real TH in my vape which I really appreciate. I heat up my nic base in the microwave slightly to 'degrade' it so it gets a bit snarlier.

Hey, whatever works :vino:
Your math is better than my guesstimate.
Just easy to shoot 2 syringes full in the bottle.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the advice nadalama, I'll ask Di to check about the temp vs permanent denture next time she sees the denturist which should be in a couple of weeks if all goes well in the meantime. It will be good to know for sure what we've got.

She took it out for the first time here tonight, and I helped her rinse her mouth gently with salt water. She put it back in after about half an hour. We're going to do this daily for the next couple of weeks as long as it seems to help. The salt water rinse is my idea from my experience with my gum issues the last few years. Time will tell if we're on the right track. In the end, all you can do is try something and see how it goes. So far she's doing pretty good IMO :)

Di has had a partial for years now and that went well until too many of her remaining upper teeth developed problems. We knew that would happen, the partial was just a temporary way of keeping the rest of her own teeth a bit longer. Hopefully the full denture works as well for her going forward.

Hopefully she can pass the Snickers bar test in a few months :D
You might have her take a spoon full of virgin cold pressed coconut oil, let it melt in her mouth and swish it around for 15 -20 minutes then spit it out. It has natural antibiotic properties, it is a pulling oil so it will pull out toxins, and will soften the gums a little which will encourage healing. Oh and Hi Ryedan good to see you my friend

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bob, have you bought any of those new Sammy 25RA batteries?

I don't think their any better than the brownies, if anything, they don't last as long.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Howdy Rich....how was your day?
Better than the day before I hope.
Not too bad. Got a lot done, but very tired from having done so. Temperature up and snow melting. Neighbor brought over a couple big fat round bales to keep my critters alive until the grass comes in, which, assuming we have no more snow, should be in a couple more weeks. Got about a million things on my honey-do list yet to be accomplished. Speaking of Lannie, she ordered some flavors from Bull City today and said a line right out of LOTR: "It comes in pints!"

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not too bad. Got a lot done, but very tired from having done so. Temperature up and snow melting. Neighbor brought over a couple big fat round bales to keep my critters alive until the grass comes in, which, assuming we have no more snow, should be in a couple more weeks. Got about a million things on my honey-do list yet to be accomplished. Speaking of Lannie, she ordered some flavors from Bull City today and said a line right out of LOTR: "It comes in pints!"
I bet that feels better to know you have some feed until the grass sprouts.

VU Sponsors