Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not too bad. The back is owie, but that is normal. The shoulder isn't going to recover for a few months and, at the moment, the ligaments in both knees are doing a little screaming. So, situation "normal." :)

Wifey keeps a yogurt starter in the fridge, made from old yogurt (I think), and she puts the new batch in the oven with the oven light on as the only heat and it is yummy yogurt by the next day.
I'm just starting the yogurt venture, it's all new to me.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi Jimi...I hope your day was better than mine...feel like shit tonight for some reason....:wait:
So all four of us pretty much feel the same way... old, tired, achy... AHHHhhhh... Old Pharts Disease! Now we have a name for it, the FDA can have their buddies at Big Pharma create a drug for us. I wonder if it will be green with lots of pointy leaves....

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your knee any better, Jimi...or still hurt like hell?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It felt a little better today until I tried using my cane instead of my crutches, felt good to hobble around a little with the cain but paying dearly for it now. Thanks for asking my friend
It's just damn tough...and the older we get the slower we heal.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Jimi, are you using the kind of crutches that use your armpits to bear the weight or do you have forearm crutches? I have a pair of adjustable metal forearm crutches and find they are infinitely better than the old style. Luckily I don't need them every day, but when I do, they are a gawdsend. And I have used just one of them in place of a cane (I have about 6 canes around here too).

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi, are you using the kind of crutches that use your armpits to bear the weight or do you have forearm crutches? I have a pair of adjustable metal forearm crutches and find they are infinitely better than the old style? Luckily I don't need them every day, but when I do, they are a gawdsend. And I have used just one of them in place of a cane (I have about 6 canes around here too).
Indeed...good idea Rich..!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi, are you using the kind of crutches that use your armpits to bear the weight or do you have forearm crutches? I have a pair of adjustable metal forearm crutches and find they are infinitely better than the old style. Luckily I don't need them every day, but when I do, they are a gawdsend. And I have used just one of them in place of a cane (I have about 6 canes around here too).
Yeah mine are the old style one butI have them adjusted to where they don't actually touch my arm pits.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe his tired ass just fell off
Mine is getting pretty close to falling off at the moment too, even though it might be the only part of me not currently experiencing pains. Oh well...
Yeah mine are the old style ones. but I have them adjusted to where they don't actually touch my arm pits.
Any chance you can afford to get the forearm crutches? If you lived closer, I'd loan you mine. They really are a zillion percent better.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mine is getting pretty close to falling off at the moment too, even though it might be the only part of me not currently experiencing pains. Oh well...

Any chance you can afford to get the forearm crutches? If you lived closer, I'd loan you mine. They really are a zillion percent better.
No chance of getting new ones I am lucky to have the old ones.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Like anything else related to medical, the cost is unreal for a piece of shit made in china.

No shit, when my FIL needed a new wheelchair, it ended up costing over $600 through medicare - pissed does not even come close to describing how we felt to later see the exact same chair at WallyWorld for $80

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No shit, when my FIL needed a new wheelchair, it ended up costing over $600 through medicare - pissed does not even come close to describing how we felt to later see the exact same chair at WallyWorld for $80
Oh I know, a friend of my mothers is 92, she just got ripped off for one too.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Like anything else related to medical, the cost is unreal for a piece of shit made in china.
I guess I was lucky to have the V.A. They gave these to me (at no cost to me) prior to my knee replacement surgeries. I was barely walking at the time and cannot use a wheelchair here at home (too many stairs inside, too many bumps, mud, snow, whatever outside). It was almost like I learned to walk all over again and these things are infinitely better than using one of those walker frames.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Jimi, if by "force it to get better," you mean that you are utilizing the power of positive thinking, then the only way to make that work quickly is to visualize yourself NOT as "getting" better, but that you are ALREADY perfect. Anything that includes an "I want..." is given immediately as that you will continue to want it forever. See it as already done, then believe that is reality. I know it is not easy, but when you go to bed tonight, SEE yourself getting up in the morning in perfect shape. Trust me... even though I have a lot of pains, I am supposed to be dead, but obviously I am not (well, unless I am a ghost typing on a forum and I just don't know it). :crazy:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I am trying not to have to use one and trying to force it to get better, might be pushing it to hard

It's not about "having" to use one, its about treating your body kindly to encourage the inflammation to go down

I was in a chair myself for about eight months and while it was terrible psychologically at first, once I learned it was a tool to help me through a health crisis and not a permanent fixture, it was easier to not feel like an "invalid" or cripple

Using a wheelchair to get through a crisis is not necessarily giving in to an infirmity and you don't have to use it forever - same as crutches, canes, walkers, whatever

Putting less pressure on the area (bone on bone) while it is inflamed will help you in two ways: give the nerve endings a chance to calm down and this in turn puts less stress on the brain - and thus improving your overall well being

Just my unsolicited two cents because I care :hug:

VU Sponsors