Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good for about 2 yrs on PG and VG. Gallon of each in the deep freezer. And 4 liters mixed on my shelf.
Actually I am good on all consumables for around 2 years now that I think about it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
But unlike for some that is kinda depressing to me.
And I am actually having trouble thinking of stuff that I actually want vapewise.
Been focusing more on tools lately.
Which is depressing? The lack of vape mail or the lack of money with which to buy it? I don't have the money to buy that stuff, but then again, I really can't think of anything else I need. Oh, Lannie wants more batteries. Oh well...
Looks like Rich may have had more rain today?...or is that just a rumor?
Nope, no rain (yet). We did have a massive thunderstorm pass over us, and the cap cloud (anvil) covered 90% of the sky (truly awesome for one silly thunderstorm), but it did not storm on us, but the last time I looked, whoever lives about 30 miles south of us is getting pounded.
How was life on the Homestead today?
Well, let's see...
Help Lannie take some fur mats off Kiara (to be continued because the dog got too nervous for us to finish)
Till garden again (went deep enough that it won’t need another tilling)
Load pine shavings and BOSS in garage back in truck and take it all to hay room
Use truck and chain to move fallen tree from SW corner to wood prep are (storm damage)
Air up riding mower tires, gas it and mow around wood prep area
Use riding mower to drag some broken limbs from orchard to wood prep area (storm damage - tons more to do)
Mow SW corner and part of orchard

a typical day...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Which is depressing? The lack of vape mail or the lack of money with which to buy it? I don;t have the money to buy that stuff, but then again, I really can't think of anything else I need. Oh well...

Nope, no rain (yet). We did have a massive thunderstorm pass over us, and the cap cloud (anvil) covered 90% of the sky (truly awesome for one silly thunderstorm), but it did not storm on us, but the last time I looked, whoever lives about 30 miles south of us is getting pounded.

Well, let's see...
Help Lannie take some fur mats off Kiara (to be continued because the dog got too nervous for us to finish)
Use truck and chain to move fallen tree from SW corner to wood prep are (storm damage)
Use riding mower to drag some broken limbs from orchard to wood prep area (storm damage - tons more to do)

a typical day...
Damn, sounds like you did more than the entire collective contributors to this thread accomplished, just speaking for myself tho....:oops:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, let's see...
a typical day...

Damn, sounds like you did more than the entire collective contributors to this thread accomplished, just speaking for myself tho....:oops:

Definitely beat me

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I threw the Krylin across the street, and didn't go to fetch it back either.
I assume that is a tank that is not performing to your expectations? Given that I am so perfectly happy with my antique Protanks, I just don;t know anything about the latest gear because I just do not shop for that stuff ...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I assume that is a tank that is not performing to your expectations? Given that I am so perfectly happy with my antique Protanks, I just don;t know anything about the latest gear because I just do not shop for that stuff ...
They leak. I fixed most of my leaking problems until I had to rewick the POS. At that point, it would not hold any juice anymore.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, a leaking SOB. A vendor sent me one to try, I told them sorry, I don't have anything nice to say about it....haven't heard from the vendor since....:devil:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sweated a bit this afternoon on my 3D jigsaw puzzle.
Dash dissassembly of the Blazer Dash.
Raise up the front and remove the fender well liner tomorrow and hopefully complete disassembly and identify any bad parts that I have not anticipated.
I'd bet that is a son of a bitch to remove.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Which is depressing? The lack of vape mail or the lack of money with which to buy it? I don't have the money to buy that stuff, but then again, I really can't think of anything else I need. Oh, Lannie wants more batteries. Oh well...

Well, let's see...

a typical day...

So how much did you know about farming and agriculture before taking on this farm?

Really am curious - as I'm hoping to grow the bulk of my own food in the coming years but have only done small-scale gardening in the past

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sweated a bit this afternoon on my 3D jigsaw puzzle.
Dash dissassembly of the Blazer Dash.
Raise up the front and remove the fender well liner tomorrow and hopefully complete disassembly and identify any bad parts that I have not anticipated.
I don't know, gang, but I think Crom beat me in the amount of sweaty work done today... I'd much rather be dragging around 30-foot trees than trying to tear a dashboard apart to fix the friggin' A/C.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like a nightmare, Bob......!

Naah but cursing is involved.

A friend was a GM mechanic and told me it was an 8 hour job for someone with all the right manuals and such and experience.
Gonna take me a while as I am doing it for the first time and cannot handle 8 hours straight of the awkward positions and such.

Then I have a funeral to go to a couple of hours drive away Saturday, and then a Grandsons BD party an hour away on Sunday.
Picking up rental car Friday.
Just hope I do not need any hard to get dealer parts.

Edit: and at least a $1,500 job.
If I have to replace the compressor and Condenser I will have about $400 in parts total for a complete AC/Heat rebuild.
If the dealer did that too it would be over 2,000.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

A friend was a GM mechanic and told me it was an 8 hour job for someone with all the right manuals and such and experience.
Gonna take me a while as I am doing it for the first time and cannot handle 8 hours straight of the awkward positions and such.

Then I have a funeral to go to a couple of hours drive away Saturday, and then a Grandsons BD party an hour away on Sunday.
Wish I could help. But, the neighbors Blazers rally were blazers when their house burned down, and both of them caught fire.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Edit: and at least a $1,500 job.
If I have to replace the compressor and Condenser I will have about $400 in parts total for a complete AC/Heat rebuild.
If the dealer did that too it would be over 2,000.
Since the dash is prolly installed before the body, I can picture what it takes to remove it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So how much did you know about farming and agriculture before taking on this farm?

Really am curious - as I'm hoping to grow the bulk of my own food in the coming years but have only done small-scale gardening in the past
Well, I grew up in a small town in Orygun (population 400) and most of my friends lived on farms (400... my friends called me a "city" kid :rolleyes:). I learned a lot from them (and their fathers) and most summers I worked picking berries and later (when I got bigger), bucking hay. So you could say I was "exposed" to farming, but was never a farmer myself. I was way too into high tech and science and math and all that stuff.

Lannie, however, was a real city girl (grew up in Porkland, OR), and even though she had mostly office-type jobs (worked for moving companies and was an office manager at a couple places), farming has always been a dream of hers, so she studied it a lot.

I had driven out here to buy this place and took lots of pictures and we discussed whether this place would meet our "desires," then decided to go for it. Then we moved to the middle of nowhere (welcome to Beautiful Downtown Maurine, South Dakota, a ghost town, population 2 - us). We already had horses (we brought three with us) and dogs and cats. We talked with neighboring ranchers after we got settled in, then Lannie found a guy who was experimenting with cross-breed cows (dairy and beef, you get milk and the cow can survive the cold better), so we bought Bandit, who was recently impregnated. Thus began the learning cycle, and we made a lot of mistakes, but Lannie was wise enough to join KFC (Keeping a Family Cow forum) and picked everyone's brains until she became a cow expert. Because Lannie is also an egg fanatic, we bought chickens, who made more chickens.

The farming expertise is primarily Lannie's area. I am just the hired hand. I lift heavy objects and shoot things that don't belong here. :D I can build and repair fences and outbuildings, do electrical wiring as needed, mow the weeds, till the garden, help her with whatever she needs, but this is her baby and I just provide the support.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
NO Chucky Cheese.
NEVER again!

Same thing I said after one trip there when my kids were little.

Hi OPs. Been to sleep already, fell asleep watching an old episode of Columbo on YouTube. Phone rang in the video, startled me and suddenly I was wide awake. Still wide awake.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I grew up in a small town in Orygun (population 400) and most of my friends lived on farms (400... my friends called me a "city" kid :rolleyes:). I learned a lot from them (and their fathers) and most summers I worked picking berries and later (when I got bigger), bucking hay. So you could say I was "exposed" to farming, but was never a farmer myself. I was way too into high tech and science and math and all that stuff.

Lannie, however, was a real city girl (grew up in Porkland, OR), and even though she had mostly office-type jobs (worked for moving companies and was an office manager at a couple places), farming has always been a dream of hers, so she studied it a lot.

I had driven out here to buy this place and took lots of pictures and we discussed whether this place would meet our "desires," then decided to go for it. Then we moved to the middle of nowhere (welcome to Beautiful Downtown Maurine, South Dakota, a ghost town, population 2 - us). We already had horses (we brought three with us) and dogs and cats. We talked with neighboring ranchers after we got settled in, then Lannie found a guy who was experimenting with cross-breed cows (dairy and beef, you get milk and the cow can survive the cold better), so we bought Bandit, who was recently impregnated. Thus began the learning cycle, and we made a lot of mistakes, but Lannie was wise enough to join KFC (Keeping a Family Cow forum) and picked everyone's brains until she became a cow expert. Because Lannie is also an egg fanatic, we bought chickens, who made more chickens.

The farming expertise is primarily Lannie's area. I am just the hired hand. I lift heavy objects and shoot things that don't belong here. :D I can build and repair fences and outbuildings, do electrical wiring as needed, mow the weeds, till the garden, help her with whatever she needs, but this is her baby and I just provide the support.
At least it will certainly keep you occupied. There is always something that needs to be done on a farm, whether you like it or not.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There is always something that needs to be done on a farm, whether you like it or not.
That much I did know, even as a child, but we took on the task anyway. :) The biggest problem I have with it is that you cannot ever take a day off or take a vacation (I used to take very long road trips - like 12 states in two weeks) and, unless you have enough money to pay someone to come do the work while you're gone, you ain't going nowhere.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Same thing I said after one trip there when my kids were little.

Hi OPs. Been to sleep already, fell asleep watching an old episode of Columbo on YouTube. Phone rang in the video, startled me and suddenly I was wide awake. Still wide awake.
Good evening Jane

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That much I did know, even as a child, but we took on the task anyway. :) The biggest problem I have with it is that you cannot ever take a day off or take a vacation (I used to take very long road trips - like 12 states in two weeks) and, unless you have enough money to pay someone to come do the work while you're gone, you ain't going nowhere.
The more you speak, the better growing fruit suites me.....:giggle:

VU Sponsors