Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I spotted a cloud this morning, that was my highlight of the day.

Generally I forget what a cloud looks like....:cry:

My GF called me this afternoon, it's raining like hell in Ecuador, hope to be there in a couple weeks....bought my ticket today.
BUT, now the GF wants me to load a shipping container, after I told her that's what JuicyLucy did....:facepalm:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@inspects We were talking about the smell of this place yesterday. Figured I'd share a couple pics, taken from inside the garden today.

This is a few of the wild plums (there's probably a hundred on this property, but only a few in the garden)
100_0570.jpg

And this is the lilac hedge that borders the west and north sides of the garden (and a hundred more on other parts of the property)
100_0571.jpg

Yup, it really does smell like flowers right at the moment...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have that problem too but knod after dinner just cant sleep
You have a LOT on your mind, I can see why it's hard to sleep.....brain going 100mph and your body is going 50mph.

Hopefully you'll be out of this rut soon...!

I have the same problem when I have a zillion things to do or think about, making it almost impossible to fall asleep. But when I do sleep, seldom do I wake at all during the night. Last two nights I've slept really well, even with a quit a bit on my mind. Guess I'll look into meditation or yoga.....:cry:.....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@inspects We were talking about the smell of this place yesterday. Figured I'd share a couple pics, taken from inside the garden today.

This is a few of the wild plums (there's probably a hundred on this property, but only a few in the garden)
View attachment 111293

And this is the lilac hedge that borders the west and north sides of the garden (and a hundred more on other parts of the property)
View attachment 111294

Yup, it really does smell like flowers right at the moment...
oh wow...i can smell it from here. Nothing like fresh cut grass and flowers...!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice job with the garden too....!
Thanks. Another net friend stopped by here a few years back, and once clear of the highway gate, she told Lannie that this place was like the Secret Garden (I assume, from the movie by that name and she meant the whole place, not just the garden area), but I have named it "The Garden of Eatin'." :giggle:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. Another net friend stopped by here a few years back, and once clear of the highway gate, she told Lannie that this place was like the Secret Garden (I assume, from the movie by that name and she meant the whole [lace, not just the garden area), but I have named it "The Garden of Eatin'." :giggle:
Hahaaha.....:D

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, I grew up in a small town in Orygun (population 400) and most of my friends lived on farms (400... my friends called me a "city" kid :rolleyes:). I learned a lot from them (and their fathers) and most summers I worked picking berries and later (when I got bigger), bucking hay. So you could say I was "exposed" to farming, but was never a farmer myself. I was way too into high tech and science and math and all that stuff.

Lannie, however, was a real city girl (grew up in Porkland, OR), and even though she had mostly office-type jobs (worked for moving companies and was an office manager at a couple places), farming has always been a dream of hers, so she studied it a lot.

I had driven out here to buy this place and took lots of pictures and we discussed whether this place would meet our "desires," then decided to go for it. Then we moved to the middle of nowhere (welcome to Beautiful Downtown Maurine, South Dakota, a ghost town, population 2 - us). We already had horses (we brought three with us) and dogs and cats. We talked with neighboring ranchers after we got settled in, then Lannie found a guy who was experimenting with cross-breed cows (dairy and beef, you get milk and the cow can survive the cold better), so we bought Bandit, who was recently impregnated. Thus began the learning cycle, and we made a lot of mistakes, but Lannie was wise enough to join KFC (Keeping a Family Cow forum) and picked everyone's brains until she became a cow expert. Because Lannie is also an egg fanatic, we bought chickens, who made more chickens.

The farming expertise is primarily Lannie's area. I am just the hired hand. I lift heavy objects and shoot things that don't belong here. :D I can build and repair fences and outbuildings, do electrical wiring as needed, mow the weeds, till the garden, help her with whatever she needs, but this is her baby and I just provide the support.

Interesting - we are skipping livestock save some chickens and possibly some Muscovy ducks (aka fly catchers) - fresh organic eggs are important

Would love to raise a cow for eating, maybe a pig or two, but really want to be able to get away here and there without a.lot of hassle so those were out of the equation from the get go - its why we decided we would not even get another dog after our last two died of old age

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey, Lucy, we don't do "agriculture" on a large scale, and everything is done naturally here (compost from poop and so on), but I'd be happy to share any tips, tricks, or methods I've learned over the years if you need advice or inspiration. I still haven't mastered growing cabbages to full maturity without them being eaten by something else first, but this might be the year. :D I have hatched A Brilliant Plan to outsmart my nemeses. We'll see how it works out. :teehee: Of course, who knows? I keep thinking I should be smarter than the cows, and they keep proving me wrong... :oops:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the movie 'Big Trouble'?

Title doesn't ring a bell.... Big Trouble in Little China? No? A different trouble? I'll have to go look it up.
I liked the first Airplane but wasn't so thrilled with the second one (over-use of all the bad jokes?). Flashing and beeping and flashing and beeping...

VU Sponsors