VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's the weekend!!!
4cd726d7a7322a099e30c3fddd7047b6.jpg

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Well after fighting with the insurance company for a week I finally got them to approve the change in my medication. Stupid pencil pushers sitting behind a desk thinking they know more about what I need than me and my doctor of 20 years really sets me off. Picked up the new meds tonight and now it’s a three week wait for it to get into my system fully to find out if it will work better for me.

In the immortal words of Socrates, “ I drank what?!”

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
weekends don't matter much.
Everyday is Saturday
People actually get time OFF?

I became salaried in 1978, and from that point, even weekends contained at least a little "working for the company." Then I got 100% disabled in 2000 (and, therefore, forceably retired), moved to this "hobby farm," and now work full time seven days a week. Be grateful for whatever days you have where all you have to do is R&R. I have long since forgotten what that feels like.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah why I still have a hernia.
$250 for an ultrasound and then they want a MRI or CAT Scan that will cost me $800 before they would do surgery.

Will wait for Medicare.
Yep...it's definitely a huge racket.

I looked at some blood work the doctor billed my insurance company for....:devil:

Not only did I not NOT have blood work done, they billed the insurance company almost 6K....MUST have been some really serious blood work.....four pages....I couldn't believe it.

I called my insurance company to explain they were getting scammed....then I told the doctor to go to hell.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People actually get time OFF?

I became salaried in 1978, and from that point, even weekends contained at least a little "working for the company." Then I got 100% disabled in 2000 (and, therefore, forceably retired), moved to this "hobby farm," and now work full time seven days a week. Be grateful for whatever days you have where all you have to do is R&R. I have long since forgotten what that feels like.
yeah farm animals...
I just have a wife, weiner dog and some cats to take care of.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The wife and I bought a little travel trailer a few years back. Used and it needed some tlc. I’ve been remodeling the inside a little at a time. We both really enjoy going camping. I usually take my kayak when we go.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
yeah farm animals...
I just have a wife, weiner dog and some cats to take care of.
Let's see... 4 cows, 2 horses, about 50 chickens and guineas, 4 dogs, 5 house cats, 5 year-around feral garage/barn cats (8-10 in summer), no sales, no profits, tons of losses, no tax deductions (insufficient acreage, so the state says we are indulging in a hobby, not a business)... Lannie is 60 and I just turned 69 and we have no help, so two old pharts gotta work their asses off to take care of everybody.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I’ve got service related PTSD. Army docs only want to prescribe Prozac which makes me feeling like the walking dead. The level of treatment has gotten better in the 22 years I’ve been living with it. They are just now figuring out that you have to change up the medication occasionally to keep it under control. There’s a group of us vets that meet for breakfast once a month just as an informal support group. We’ve been writing to our local representatives to try and get more research done. Several of the younger vets have started to join us on our weekend breakfast gatherings in the past six months.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Several of the younger vets have started to join us on our weekend breakfast gatherings in the past six months.
If we lived closer, I'd join you guys to help where I can.
That’s a lot of critters there drac.
If Lannie had her way, we'd have even more. But we'd also need more pasture that we do not have.

And, of course, that workload includes building/repairing fences, stalls, etc., raking horse/cow shit, pruning hundreds of trees, mowing.... on and on and on, and let us not forget the garden. Oh, and all of this is paid for by my meager social security as our only income. Yes, we are poor, but we love our critters.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
If we lived closer, I'd join you guys to help where I can.

If Lannie had her way, we'd have even more. But we'd also need more pasture that we do not have.

And, of course, that workload includes building/repairing fences, stalls, etc., raking horse/cow shit, pruning hundreds of trees, mowing.... on and on and on, and let us not forget the garden. Oh, and all of this is paid for by my meager social security as our only income. Yes, we are poor, but we love our critters.

I’m sure that’s a lot of work. I’ve only got two acres and that’s a full time job just taking care of our little plot.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is the reason I claim there are no good movies anymore. It seems that all video games and all movies are brainwashing people to believe that the answer to all of life's problems is extreme violence, then when some wacko actually does it in real life, society blames the tools he used rather than the mental state our entertainment industry has programmed into him. Yes, most people know that is not reality, but obviously a larger and larger percentage is susceptible to the suggestion that if you kill people, everything will be OK in the end. Even comedies are full of violence. Whatever happened to good movies where no one has to die?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It feel so good to feel almost human again

TRUTH! I'm still working hard at coughing up all the shit that infested my lungs, but at least now I actually have the energy for it. Still taking guaifenesin, to thin it and bring it up more easily; hopefully another week and I'll be back to "normal." ;)

Andria

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Double ouch!

As a disabled veteran (only 10% of my 100% is service related), I use the VA exclusively. They don't have the best doctors in the world, but an operation like that wouldn't cost me a penny.

I love the VA. They financed our home! And they medicate my husband's hypertension very effectively, AND, they cured his hepC. :) And he was able to go to the ER here in L'ville since he has full VA medical bennies, got IV fluids to bring down his high fever and then tamiflu, so he got well very quickly.

Andria

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's true. But that's entertainment also.
So which movie do you think was the last great movie?
Rudy?
Why does entertainment have to contain violence? Because Hollywood says so? Because THEY believe no one will pay to see the movie unless something gets blown up? Star Trek? People die in that. Star Wars? Tons of people die in that. Hey, even one of my favorites, Paul, several people died, and I suffer through that because the rest of it (the uncensored version) is laugh-your-ass-off funny. I kinda liked Avatar too, but a bazillion people have to die violently in that movie and its only saving grace was the truly fantastic CGI. But they would have had no box office without the violence. The Lord of the Rings trilogy? How many thousands had to die violently in that? Great stories if you read the books, but the movies required tons of graphic violence to draw an audience.

Rudy was OK, but I am not a sports fan, so it didn't really trip my trigger. How about an antique, like Hatari? One guy gets gored, but lives. A couple people punched each other, but no one was hurt and they ended up being friends. How about Runaway Bride? How about... hundreds could be named, but they never had huge box offices, and it's kinda like the doctor comments back a page or two - everyone wants more and more money and damn the results.

OK, I'll turn my rant off now. :blah:

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why does entertainment have to contain violence? Because Hollywood says so? Because THEY believe no one will pay to see the movie unless something gets blown up? Star Trek? People die in that. Star Wars? Tons of people die in that. Hey, even one of my favorites, Paul, several people died, and I suffer through that because the rest of it (the uncensored version) is laugh-your-ass-off funny. I kinda liked Avatar too, but a bazillion people have to die violently in that movie and its only saving grace was the truly fantastic CGI. But they would have had no box office without the violence. The Lord of the Rings trilogy? How many thousands had to die violently in that? Great stories if you read the books, but the movies required tons of graphic violence to draw an audience.

Rudy was OK, but I am not a sports fan, so it didn't really trip my trigger. How about an antique, like Hatari? One guy gets gored, but lives. A couple people punched each other, but no one was hurt and they ended up being friends. How about Runaway Bride? How about... hundreds could be named, but they never had huge box offices, and it's kinda like the doctor comments back a page or two - everyone wants more and more money and damn the results.

OK, I'll turn my rant off now. :blah:
Hehe it's alright.
That's marketing for ya. That's who's telling the masses to go watch or buy something

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, before I start a new rant about marketing (e.g., there is not one commercial on TV that does not contain lies which they want you to believe, and remember, the omission/avoidance/cover-up of even a tiny truth is still a lie), I will take this opportunity to go snuggle my pillow and see if the old phart can get a half-ass decent night's sleep.

Catch you folks tomorrow.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have really given up on movies. The other day I watched "Downsizing". It was a complete waste of my time. I think they are churning out movies just to pimp them to make money really quick. The lack of plot and acting is really disappointing. I refuse to watch horror/thriller type shows because I know I'll have bad dreams for months. (My sub-conscious must be sensitive).
Good night in here.
Oh the second job offer winch called and I didn't answer the damn phone. It was close to 9pm again. Her excuses on voice mail did not impress me.

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You were gonna pass on that second one anyhow.. so no loss there.. if they really wanted ya, they'll call again..

Ya downsizing plot seemed dumb to me.. I wasn't interested ..

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
TRUTH! I'm still working hard at coughing up all the shit that infested my lungs, but at least now I actually have the energy for it. Still taking guaifenesin, to thin it and bring it up more easily; hopefully another week and I'll be back to "normal." ;)

Andria
Thanks for the heads up on that Andria I have barked up gallons now but it's getting better so far.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, before I start a new rant about marketing (e.g., there is not one commercial on TV that does not contain lies which they want you to believe, and remember, the omission/avoidance/cover-up of even a tiny truth is still a lie), I will take this opportunity to go snuggle my pillow and see if the old phart can get a half-ass decent night's sleep.

Catch you folks tomorrow.
Night Drac see you tomorrow my friend

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have really given up on movies. The other day I watched "Downsizing". It was a complete waste of my time. I think they are churning out movies just to pimp them to make money really quick. The lack of plot and acting is really disappointing. I refuse to watch horror/thriller type shows because I know I'll have bad dreams for months. (My sub-conscious must be sensitive).
Good night in here.
Oh the second job offer winch called and I didn't answer the damn phone. It was close to 9pm again. Her excuses on voice mail did not impress me.
Good night Sandi see you tomorrow my friend

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A bit late to the party, or maybe early?

Haven't watched any new movies lately. I think the most recent was yet another horrible remake of George Romero's Day of the Dead (1985). After watching the latest my wife asked me which remake was worse and I told they both equally sucked and should have never been made. I should sue Hollywood for the 1.5 hours I wasted watching that POS.

I think we redeemed ourselves Friday night by watching the movie Brave, again. Not sure how many times we've watched it but it never gets old.

Draco, I'm with you all on Paul. Hilarious movie. The wife and I love Simon Pegg and Nick Frost movies.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like Rudy. Even though I'm no football fan, I love the story of his determination against all odds, everyone telling him he CAN'T, and finally achieving his dream. I always cry at the end, tears of joy, not sadness. I watch it every time it's on.

The Black Stallion movies also stir me, but not because of the acting or the plots. It's that horse, Cass Ole, GodDAMN he was the most beautiful animal! Just looking at him brings tears to my eyes.

And just about every Pixar movie made. I haven't seen all of them, but the ones I have are happy and fun and there's no blood or gore. ;)

There are actually a ton of movies I really like, but most of them were made in the 80s, it seems like. That was the decade for good movies that *I* like. I'm not crazy about most of the newer ones (not that I've seen them, I'm just going off the previews for them), and there are so many re-makes. Re-makes of re-makes, even. Where has imagination gone? Have all the good movie ideas been used up? I dunno, kinda makes me wonder, though.

VU Sponsors