Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It snowed this morning, maybe a couple more inches, then quit around noon. I was out on the bobcat most of the morning, clearing the driveway (outside and inside the gate), then cleared a small part of the dog yard and started to make the path to the barn again. Bob started making popping noises, so I spun it around to go back in the garage, but then it made a very loud POP and died. I thought I smelled something burning, so I jumped out and opened the engine cover. OIL EVERYWHERE! And, one spark plug hanging on the plug wire in mid air, but clearly it blew out of the head, which no doubt means that is broken all to hell. Bob is officially dead now and I can't even get it back in the garage without a troop of boy scouts. Bob is 35 years old, but it is the perfect size for me to use on our tiny hobby farm. I know nothing about repairing engines, so I can't fix it, but this place must have a skid steer. I do not know how many thousands of dollars it will cost to haul this antique to Rapid City and get a new engine installed, but I don't own any, so I guess it is time to go apply for a loan. The storm might be over, but this was still a very shitty day.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry to hear your luck hasn't changed. I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to get the damn engine rebuilt.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to hear your luck hasn't changed. I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to get the damn engine rebuilt.
I suspect that it is an Onan and has trashed itself.
Broken rod, etc...

Might be a Kohler?
But same death from your description Rich...
Sorry to say.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I suspect that it is an Onan and has trashed itself.
Broken rod, etc...

Might be a Kohler?
But same death from your description Rich...
Sorry to say.
Yep your right, I'd bet the block is shot too.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well CRAP Rich...
Sad thing is that it is a 2-cylinder 20-HP Kohler engine. My riding mower has a 2-cylinder 24-HP Kohler engine and the whole mower was only ..uh, what? ... about $1000... but because this one goes in a Bobcat, you know it is going to be twice that price (assuming they even still make or sell one to fit this ancient POS) plus... what? ... another $1000 to have it installed? Sigh... Still, it will be cheaper to repair than to buy a new skid steer.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sad thing is that it is a 2-cylinder 20-HP Kohler engine. My riding mower has a 2-cylinder 24-HP Kohler engine and the whole mower was only ..uh, what? ... about $1000... but because this one goes in a Bobcat, you know it is going to be twice that price (assuming they even still make or sell one to fit this ancient POS) plus... what? ... another $1000 to have it installed? Sigh... Still, it will be cheaper to repair than to buy a new skid steer.
Much cheaper.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, no idea what a new or used skid steer costs, but I assume at least 10K for something decent? Lot of money no matter how you look at it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah... now I gotta find a place to get the money because I damn well am not going to use a 25% interest rate credit card. I wonder what my bank charges...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah... now I gotta find a place to get the money because I damn well am not going to use a 25% interest rate credit card. I wonder what my bank charges...
No idea what bank rates are but they are sure as hell much less than a CC....perhaps 5-6%?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I guess I need to find out who can fix it, how to get it there (I do not have a trailer big enough), how much it will cost, then go to the bank and kiss the appropriate ass.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was going to get a mortgage for an addition and bigger garage, the bank offered a line of credit which was about 5% back about 3-4 yrs ago?....something like that, can't remember the exact year. But I didn't get anything, just shit canned the whole idea. But the line of credit was less than a mortgage for some reason.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the line of credit was less than a mortgage for some reason.
Probably because their credit line puts a lien on the property, meaning if you don't make the payment, they take your house. Anyway...

I think I better put my old ass in bed now and try not to get too many tears on my pillow. :crazy:
"The sun will come out tomorrow" (or some stupid shit like that)
G'nite all.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Even though the sky was clear, the sun shone brightly, the breeze was light, I am fixated on composing a eulogy for my Bobcat, who died in the line of duty yesterday (read back for details). I am the man in black... :crazy:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Even though the sky was clear, the sun shone brightly, the breeze was light, I am fixated on composing a eulogy for my Bobcat, who died in the line of duty yesterday (read back for details). I am the man in black... :crazy:
Ok, I finally found it, i am a slow reader, can't see that well. Sorry to hear of Bob's passing, that sux. Hope you can find a motor cheap, a new bobcat is probably out of the question but you need something, and something a little more reliable

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
a new bobcat is probably out of the question but you need something, and something a little more reliable
Yeah, unless I win the lottery, a new anything is out of the question, but old bob's body is in very good condition; he just needs a heart transplant. And, yes, it would be real nice to finally own one that starts when you turn the key rather than having to perform some pagan ritual to find any kind of life in it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I could never figure out how folks could "retire" from a job they worked at for many years and then just sit at home until they die. It's really astonishing how many people actually do that. I guess being self employed makes things somewhat different, because I would probably go nuts with someone telling me what to do and when to do it at the same spot for decades. That's probably the reason most can't wait to retire, just can't take it any longer, and I can understand that too.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hell Rich, you probably work harder on the farm than when you actually had a job. But I bet you enjoy every minute of it, I know I would. We can bitch and complain about this and that, but in all actuality, it's not really that bad.

The bobcat is fucked, but I'd bet you didn't lose any sleep over it. You'll figure out a way to make it work, always have, always will.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
While I have tried to see (and rationalize) both side of the equation, I suppose we all end up being pretty one-sided. I have always worked for some corporation, whether it had 10 employees or 23,000. I have been a grunt at the bottom of the chain and middle management. I have, at times, been self-employed, but only for short periods of time until I found a better job (with more money than I could make on my own) at some other company. But my views on retirement are pretty much that if I do not have some productive things to do each day, then why am I wasting space on this planet? Some people retire from their jobs and go on the road, doing the travel and exploration things they have always longed for. I see that as being reasonably productive because at least they are doing something, learning.something, creating a photo album for their grand kids. Sitting on your ass watching the idiot box or playing Nintendo games all day long is not. Yes, because of my physical limitations, I do far less than I used to, but I am doing what I can with what I have available. Cows and chickens are providing us something, but we do not sell anything and make any profits. It really is a negative ROI situation, but we are doing something productive.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some people retire from their jobs and go on the road, doing the travel and exploration things they have always longed for. I see that as being reasonably productive because at least they are doing something, learning.something, creating a photo album for their grand kids.

There isn't many people who actually do this for any length of time. I know more millionaires than I know regular people, seems like the millionaires are more miserable than regular folk.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have always heard that "money doesn't buy happiness," but the judicious use of such money can provide situations where you can find your desired happiness. For example, I would love to spend my remaining years exploring the ancient ruins of central and south America. I have a burning desire to explore, to learn, to understand. I would not use that money to party or buy myself mansions and Ferraris, but to fly around the planet gathering knowledge and writing those findings in such a way that I could share it with anyone else who cared. No, I do not have a desire to get rich by selling books - I tend to give my knowledge to any who want it. The plane tickets, the accommodations, the support crew would all cost money.

Maybe your millionaire acquaintances are so involved in protecting their assets or trying to acquire more that they forgot to use them for enjoyment rather than misery.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have always heard that "money doesn't buy happiness," but the judicious use of such money can provide situations where you can find your desired happiness. For example, I would love to spend my remaining years exploring the ancient ruins of central and south America. I have a burning desire to explore, to learn, to understand. I would not use that money to party or buy myself mansions and Ferraris, but to fly around the planet gathering knowledge and writing those findings in such a way that I could share it with anyone else who cared. No, I do not have a desire to get rich by selling books - I tend to give my knowledge to any who want it. The plane tickets, the accommodations, the support crew would all cost money.

Maybe your millionaire acquaintances are so involved in protecting their assets or trying to acquire more that they forgot to use them for enjoyment rather than misery.
Money can kinda rent happiness.
Contentment now is another matter.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really like retirement.
I still work. Got a good start on new porch between rain stuff.
Header boards on house and frame outline is in place. all level and square.

The work I do now is almost all for me and mine and I kinda get to make my own schedule. within limits imposed by the SWMBO ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today here 80 right now and brief bursts of hard rain.
Windy as heck too.
tomorrow high in the 50's and supposed to be down to 40 Tuesday morning.
Have to go get more lumber for the porch project tomorrow.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Today our temp hit 43 as a high, which is the same as yesterday. Yesterday was clear and sunny. Today was overcast and windy. Go figure...

Anyway, we seem to be losing 2-3" each day on the snow melt. At this rate, it will take a couple weeks for all this shit to go away, but temps are supposed to be a tad higher by next weekend, so maybe it will be sooner.

VU Sponsors