Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, it is just a good thing YOU didn't swallow it or you would have grown watermelons out your ears ( or whatever bullshit grandma used to spout ). :D

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, it is just a good thing YOU didn't swallow it or you would have grown watermelons out your ears ( or whatever bullshit grandma used to spout ). :D
Have lots of something growing in the garden where I bury the entrails, either watermelon honeydew or cantaloupe

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmmmm... soon as I get that damn fence finished and get the storm windows/screens changed out, I guess I better start doing something with the garden...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guess that will be the extent of the garden, one tomato and whatever else is growing by itself.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May tragically locate a few chunks of sweet potatoes in various locations, they seem to thrive well in this alkaline soil and don't require anything except water once a week

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you give up on the idea of maters in containers?
Basically, I don't really have time for it this summer....already have jobs booked everyday until the first of May, including easter sunday.....economy is really booming here. Gotta get it while the gettin's good.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's not hard work, most of it is sitting in front of the puter running numbers for investors.
I'll trade ya jobs. Today I worked my ass off and the muscle strain made it so hard, my fingers didn't work the pliers worth a shit and I could barely walk back to the house. Lannie was the smart one and quit after the first hour when she started getting muscle strain. My stubbornness at getting the damn thing fixed kept me out there an additional two hours. I also discovered that barbed wire doesn't like me because there are several punctures and slices on my hands and blood was running all over the place. But then I have always said about farm work, if you don't bleed a little each day, you ain't working hard enough.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You make it sound like I came back inside, put my feet up, and ate bon bons while watching Oprah. ;) I would have stayed out there and helped, but there was inside work to be done, dogs to be fed and pottied (SEVERAL times), and food to be prepared, which ended up being tuna with homemade mayo (because I didn't have time to make anything more elaborate), which Rich decided he didn't want... argh. So *I* had a very delicious tuna wrap with homemade cheese and pickles and Rich had some leftover chicken and rice. I should be glad it wasn't another can of chili. :teehee:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I turned the lawn sprinklers on a couple weeks ago to get the summer grass started.....I look out the backyard this morning and see a plant about a foot high....go investigate...it's a tomato plant....took a shovel and planted it in the garden. Must have grown from the veggie scraps I toss to the quail.
If from a hybrid tomato will likely be those little tomatoes.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I also discovered that barbed wire doesn't like me because there are several punctures and slices on my hands and blood was running all over the place. But then I have always said about farm work, if you don't bleed a little each day, you ain't working hard enough.
Did the bleeding stop?..........:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Did the bleeding stop?..........:teehee:
Oh yeah, but I am gonna have a nasty scar between thumb and forefinger of the left hand. That was a deep slice.

79 today, which was slightly surprising, considering that it was mostly cloudy all day and pretty damn windy afternoon/evening. Weather guessers still seems to think we will have thunderstorms tonight, although there is no current evidence in sight, so if they are frontal, they probably won't happen until midnight or after, which will wake Lannie up and keep her up, but given I am deaf as a post (I do not sleep with my hearing aids in), I wouldn't wake up for a hurricane.

We got all the storm windows down and screens up today. While doing that, I noticed that a lot of paint is peeling off this old house and I really need to scrape and repaint it this summer. That might be a problem, given I'll need to be up on a 20-foot ladder and just being 3 steps up on a 6-footer today was pretty shaky. I think I am getting so old I am turning into a chicken.... o_O

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tomorrow is supposed to be only in the 50s and VFW (very fucking windy), so I guess we will put off finishing that cross fence until Monday. If the wind is not as bad as forecast tomorrow, maybe I can try digging up the broken gate post.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tomorrow is supposed to be only in the 50s and VFW (very fucking windy), so I guess we will put off finishing that cross fence until Monday. If the wind is not as bad as forecast tomorrow, maybe I can try digging up the broken gate post.
Damn, still working on the fence.

What happened to it?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damn, still working on the fence.

What happened to it?
Mostly, cows happened to it. One of them managed to short the electric portion and once that was no longer shocking, a push here and a pull there slowly ripped it apart. Because of the winter weather, I was unable to do anything to fix it and I can't afford to hire people to come do that shit for me, so I waited for better weather. And the longer I waited for Spring, the more damage they did. Cows can stand in lush green grass, but look across the fence and decide whatever is over there is better, so they will find a way to get to it. (This is the origin of the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence") During winter, they have nothing but the hay we give them, so they are even more eager to discover if there might be something better hiding on the other side. Now we have to put it all back together before we can borrow a bull to come hang out with our girls.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mostly, cows happened to it. One of them managed to short the electric portion and once that was no longer shocking, a push here and a pull there slowly ripped it apart. Because of the winter weather, I was unable to do anything to fix it and I can't afford to hire people to come do that shit for me, so I waited for better weather. And the longer I waited for Spring, the more damage they did. Cows can stand in lush green grass, but look across the fence and decide whatever is over there is better, so they will find a way to get to it. (This is the origin of the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence") During winter, they have nothing but the hay we give them, so they are even more eager to discover if there might be something better hiding on the other side. Now we have to put it all back together before we can borrow a bull to come hang out with our girls.
Sounds like you're just about rebuilding the entire fence.....:)

Hope you get it completed asap, wouldn't want to keep the ladies waiting.....:vino:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like you're just about rebuilding the entire fence
Pretty much.
wouldn't want to keep the ladies waiting
Given that their pregnancy time is about the same as humans, Lannie is always calculating when would be the best time for them to give birth. I think we are already beyond the comfort zone (we do not want them to pop in the middle of winter), so it has to be damn soon.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well I need to get the hell out of here again, another long one tomorrow......:crazy:

Have a good one, Rich

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty much.

Given that their pregnancy time is about the same as humans, Lannie is always calculating when would be the best time for them to give birth. I think we are already beyond the comfort zone (we do not want them to pop in the middle of winter), so it has to be damn soon.

Nope, gotta wait until mid to late summer now, so they'll calve in late spring/early summer next year. If they got pregnant now, they'd be calving in early February, right in the middle of the coldest/snowiest crap. So we have some time. :)

No thunderstorms last night, at least none that woke me up. There were the most beautiful broken-up clouds out there when I got up, with the moon behind them, backlighting them to look like swirled marble, and a few stars peeking through gaps here and there. It was really pretty! Ground's not wet, though, other than a bit of dew, so I don't think there was rain, and the wind died down. Go figure, the weather guessers screwed it up again. Maybe the wind will pick up again later, but this morning it's almost calm, and a very pleasant 42 degrees outside. :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I think Lannie was right: no thunderstorms last night. However, today, while not thunderstorms, was overcast, no more than 48 degrees, and moderate-to-heavy continuous rain most of the day. Ceiling leaked so bad, you would have thought it was raining inside the house. Pretty windy until sunset, when it calmed a bit. All that mud that was starting to dry out is deeper than ever. No outside work (other than routine chores) was accomplished today.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I think Lannie was right: no thunderstorms last night. However, today, while not thunderstorms, was overcast, no more than 48 degrees, and moderate-to-heavy continuous rain most of the day. Ceiling leaked so bad, you would have thought it was raining inside the house. Pretty windy until sunset, when it calmed a bit. All that mud that was starting to dry out is deeper than ever. No outside work was accomplished today.
Describes a shitty day to the "T"

I worked most of the day, when went to my mothers house for dinner.

Tossed some watermelon rind in the garden this afternoon....seen a mother quail with about 8 little one approximately 2-inches tall standing in the garden pecking at the flowers on my ONE tomato plant....:cry:

Those quail will be on the dinner table soon....need to find the pellet gun.....:vino:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Day started about 44 deg and overcast but got up to mid 60's and sunny in the afternoon.
Took wife unit to church then to the big city where we did a couple of Grand and great grand child visits.
All in all a pretty good day.
Supposed to be nice tomorrow and no Uber duties so back to work on building porch.
Should get the deck down tomorrow and maybe get started on railings and posts.
Got a router table and bits today at Harbor Freight for rounding off corners on spindles for the rails.
Had a 25% off coupon on the router with table and 20% off for the router bit set.
$130 for plunge router, table a 16? piece router bit set (says carbide?) and a couple thousand 2" galvanized brads for my brad gun.
All HF quality :)
But should get me thru my projects this summer.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How was your day, Rich?
Well, thanks to all that fucking rain the other day, the ground was sufficiently soft that I managed to dig out that broken gate post and put a new one in (slightly smaller in diameter, but I think it will work) and attach all the hardware to make a functional gate. Tamped the dirt in the hole (using shovel handle upside down) as best I could, but gonna wait a couple more days before trying to finish the last of the barbed wire stretching to that post. Then, when that is all done, I get to restring the entire fence in electrical wires (high on one side, low on the calf side). Also did some minor stuff, like filling wheelbarrow tires with green slime so they won;t keep going flat, etc.

Now my body hurts a lot, so no telling how long I will survive at the keyboard tonight.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, thanks to all that fucking rain the other day, the ground was sufficiently soft that I managed to dig out that broken gate post and put a new one in (slightly smaller in diameter, but I think it will work) and attach all the hardware to make a functional gate. Tamped the dirt in the hole (using shovel handle upside down) as best I could, but gonna wait a couple more days before trying to finish the last of the barbed wire stretching to that post. Then, when that is all done, I get to restring the entire fence in electrical wires (high on one side, low on the calf side). Also did some minor stuff, like filling wheelbarrow tires with green slime so they won;t keep going flat, etc.

Now my body hurts a lot, so no telling how long I will survive at the keyboard tonight.
I'm not hanging around either....LONG day...lots of traffic, slightly warm, shitty building I looked at, just finished working about an hour ago.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I flooded my (past) garden a few days ago....went to toss some watermelon rinds in the compost and noticed I missed at least one sweet potato last fall, now I have a sweet potato watermelon honeydew and cantaloupe growing. Melons will be a first for me in Arizona, doubt they will take the sun and heat....but I may build a sun shade, just for shits and giggles....might have a good melon and sweet potato patch without actually planting anything.....:teehee:

VU Sponsors