Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure how Hops & Barley would do in your area, but I'd be checking into it....could always drink beer instead of taking the fukitol tablets.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When it's just continually raining and cold, it's beyond depressing. I'm not sure how you put up with it. Must be mind over matter.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Actually, I could use some fukitol tabs at the moment. I have been in a lot of pain today and that, added to being pissed off about the lousy fucking weather and our leaky roof, have caused me to be bitching at everything that moves, so everyone is pretty much hiding from me today. I am gonna put my boney ass in bed now and hope to hell I can get some decent sleep and wake up a better person than I have been today. Sigh....

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually, I could use some fukitol tabs at the moment. I have been in a lot of pain today and that, added to being pissed off about the lousy fucking weather and our leaky roof, have caused me to be bitching at everything that moves, so everyone is pretty much hiding from me today. I am gonna put my boney ass in bed now and hope to hell I can get some decent sleep and wake up a better person than I have been today. Sigh....
Hope the guessers are wrong and it warms quickly...!

Was just reading about the projected wheat harvest this summer in the Dakotas.

Bottom line.....the wet conditions are bad.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-18_23-16-42.png
    upload_2019-5-18_23-16-42.png
    74 KB · Views: 4
  • upload_2019-5-18_23-17-0.png
    upload_2019-5-18_23-17-0.png
    74 KB · Views: 3

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey, Dale, it's not too cold for my bunching onions. ;) They're a foot and a half tall now, maybe two feet, and going like gangbusters. They usually start showing little green tips early on, like February. Hardy little suckers they are. When the snow melts off the garden, there they are, just waking up. :)

I was telling somebody yesterday that it seems like December in Oregon here right now, but this morning I changed my mind. It seems like December in South Dakota! There were a few tiny snowflakes zipping by early this morning, but now it's just sideways mist (the wind is still blowing), but it's so cold! It's 34 degrees, wet, and windy. Just miserable, and NOT spring-like at all. It's so weird to be out in weather like this morning's "winter" crap, but see green leaves on the trees and hear the summer birds singing. This does not compute...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey, Dale, it's not too cold for my bunching onions. ;) They're a foot and a half tall now, maybe two feet, and going like gangbusters. They usually start showing little green tips early on, like February. Hardy little suckers they are. When the snow melts off the garden, there they are, just waking up. :)

I was telling somebody yesterday that it seems like December in Oregon here right now, but this morning I changed my mind. It seems like December in South Dakota! There were a few tiny snowflakes zipping by early this morning, but now it's just sideways mist (the wind is still blowing), but it's so cold! It's 34 degrees, wet, and windy. Just miserable, and NOT spring-like at all. It's so weird to be out in weather like this morning's "winter" crap, but see green leaves on the trees and hear the summer birds singing. This does not compute...
Nuts, Lannie...!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We dodged a bullet yesterday. An EF3 tornado destroyed several homes and a water tower in a town 16 miles away.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's one of my designated jobs around here. Somebody has to do the heavy work... :p
Get anything accomplished today?

It was a beautiful day, but I'm whipped. I don't think it hit 75 degrees...feels like the upper 50's low 60's now......can feel the cold breeze with the door open.

Well it's time for me to hit the rack....another long day tomorrow.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So if I drive west at 60 MPH am I going slower or faster than if I drive east at 60 mph?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Relative to what, Crom? The position of your home planet or the ground you are driving on? East or west, 60 mph gets you 60 miles away in one hour (as time is perceived on the surface of this planet). To a quasi-stationary point in space (as if such a position could even exist in this particular reality), you might appear to be going 1060 mph going east, or -940 mph going west. But you will still be 60 miles from your point of origin in one Earth hour regardless. ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Relative to what, Crom? The position of your home planet or the ground you are driving on? East or west, 60 mph gets you 60 miles away in one hour (as time is perceived on the surface of this planet). To a quasi-stationary point in space (as if such a position could even exist in this particular reality), you might appear to be going 1060 mph going east, or -940 mph going west. But you will still be 60 miles from your point of origin in one Earth hour regardless. ;)
Well lets just take the time thing and east or west travel.
One way will equate to more MPH according to earth time.
Ahh and the fixed point in the universe would be the location of the big bang I would think.
Wherever that may be :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well lets just take the time thing and east or west travel.
One way will equate to more MPH according to earth time.
Apparently, your latitude and altitude play a role in perceived speed as well. Some say that the higher you are, the faster you are traveling regardless of the speedometer reading. Of course "higher" and "speed" might play a part in that equation. :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apparently, your latitude and altitude play a role in perceived speed as well. Some say that the higher you are, the faster you are traveling regardless of the speedometer reading. Of course "higher" and "speed" might play a part in that equation. :)
Higher in latitude? I can see that but slower at higher altitudes.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Higher in latitude? I can see that but slower at higher altitudes.
Has something to do with the planetary surface moving faster at the equator than at the poles. And the altitude BS was something Einstein said about being farther from the Earth's core and, therefore, less gravity.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has something to do with the planetary surface moving faster at the equator than at the poles. And the altitude BS was something Einstein said about being farther from the Earth's core and, therefore, less gravity.
I was just going by having to travel a longer distance the farther from the core one is.
But the time zones do not care.
Had not even considered the gravity of the situation.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think our arbitrary time zones as screwed anyway -- 1000 miles wide in one area and 500 miles in another to accommodate the demands of population centers. And, when you are standing on the line where the time zone sign is, is it really time travel to jump back and forth? o_O

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Think I will hit the sack. Just found out that I am travelling thru the universe at over 500,000 mph and it has worn me out.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think our arbitrary time zones as screwed anyway -- 1000 miles wide in one area and 500 miles in another to accommodate the demands of population centers. And, when you are standing on the line where the time zone sign is, is it really time travel to jump back and forth? o_O

time as we know it just a human way to adjust our clocks to the position of the sun.
Real time is handy to have though without it nothing would happen :)
Time is change/motion.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May 20'th and I was wearing a jacket this morning.....incredible......:vino:

Snowing in Flagstaff today.

I hope this global cooling lasts until (at least) September.....:cheers:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was wearing a jacket this morning
And I have been wearing my winter insulated coat for several days. A week ago, I had some stupid idea about putting it away for the next four months. Been raining all day and, at the moment, we're down to 37 degrees.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And I have been wearing my winter insulated coat for several days. A week ago, I had some stupid idea about putting it away for the next four months. Been raining all day and, at the moment, we're down to 37 degrees.
I see it's not supposed to become civil for a couple more days.....hopefully that will be the end of it for you.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I feel a need to apologize to any who might have been upset over my sick sense of humor recently. By way of explaining why, I need to tell you a short story.

Ten years ago this summer, I got in my car (a Dodge Durango at the time) and headed east -- all the way across South Dakota, across Minnesota, and halfway across Wisconsin, where I pulled into a rest area and slept for a few hours in my car (I always kept the rear seats folded down, so this little station wagon/SUV was more like a pickup with canopy than a car and I brought along a sleeping bag and pillow). Bright and early, I was up, zipping through Madison and on south into Illinois (carefully skirting Chicago), then over across Indiana, shaved off a tip of Ohio, and south across Kentucky (whatever freeway it is that goes through Lexington) into eastern Tennessee, where I crashed for another nap just outside of Knoxville. Next morning, I visited a little village a few miles west and met the donors - a nice couple who gave us a 1-year-old Great Pyrenees female named Kiara. When we get home, we will train her to be a livestock guardian dog (LGD). So on the road again... all the way west across Tennessee, the western tip of Kentucky and the southern end of Illinois, all the way west across Missouri, north along the western edge of Iowa and back into South Dakota, then all the way west across it to home. That gave Kiara and me two and a half days to bond with no one else in the car. And I admit that, even though I am primarily a Catman, Kiara became my favorite dog and she also became a really great LGD.

Now, it has been obvious for several months that Kiara's health was going downhill. A working Pyr typically lives to be only 9 or 10... 11 at a stretch, and Kiara was 11, so any attempt to lengthen her life with numerous vet visits and drugs would only postpone the inevitable and very likely make her even more miserable in her old age. Yesterday, she started acting strangely and somewhere deep inside, both Lannie and I knew she would leave us very soon. Last night she laid down just outside the bedroom window, in the pouring rain, cried softly for awhile, and departed this world. Even though we found her dead this morning, this is not the end of the crybaby story.

Jasper, her male partner, also knew she died, and he went into a depression at losing his long-time mate. Jasper is our primary chicken protector, but in his funk at Kiara's departure, he neglected his charges and some predator sneaked in this morning and nabbed one of the chickens. It just happened to be the one who had 13 babies, all less than a month old, all of who might now die (they typically need a mommy for 2-3 months) unless we can convince one of the other broody hens to take over her job.

The rain has not stopped. After breakfast today, I dug a hole out in the garden and put Kiara's body in there. I came in soaked and muddy and somewhat depressed myself... I just buried my favorite dog. I have tried for several days to hide behind humor for the feelings I have right now, suspecting this would happen several days ago. So, if I in any way offended any of you, now you know why.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I feel a need to apologize to any who might have been upset over my sick sense of humor recently. By way of explaining why, I need to tell you a short story.

Ten years ago this summer, I got in my car (a Dodge Durango at the time) and headed east -- all the way across South Dakota, across Minnesota, and halfway across Wisconsin, where I pulled into a rest area and slept for a few hours in my car (I always kept the rear seats folded down, so this little station wagon/SUV was more like a pickup with canopy than a car and I brought along a sleeping bag and pillow). Bright and early, I was up, zipping through Madison and on south into Illinois (carefully skirting Chicago), then over across Indiana, shaved off a tip of Ohio, and south across Kentucky (whatever freeway it is that goes through Lexington) into eastern Tennessee, where I crashed for another nap just outside of Knoxville. Next morning, I visited a little village a few miles west and met the donors - a nice couple who gave us a 1-year-old Great Pyrenees female named Kiara. When we get home, we will train her to be a livestock guardian dog (LGD). So on the road again... all the way west across Tennessee, the western tip of Kentucky and the southern end of Illinois, all the way west across Missouri, north along the western edge of Iowa and back into South Dakota, then all the way west across it to home. That gave Kiara and me two and a half days to bond with no one else in the car. And I admit that, even though I am primarily a Catman, Kiara became my favorite dog and she also became a really great LGD.

Now, it has been obvious for several months that Kiara's health was going downhill. A working Pyr typically lives to be only 9 or 10... 11 at a stretch, and Kiara was 11, so any attempt to lengthen her life with numerous vet visits and drugs would only postpone the inevitable and very likely make her even more miserable in her old age. Yesterday, she started acting strangely and somewhere deep inside, both Lannie and I knew she would leave us very soon. Last night she laid down just outside the bedroom window, in the pouring rain, cried softly for awhile, and departed this world. Even though we found her dead this morning, this is not the end of the crybaby story.

Jasper, her male partner, also knew she died, and he went into a depression at losing his long-time mate. Jasper is our primary chicken protector, but in his funk at Kiara's departure, he neglected his charges and some predator sneaked in this morning and nabbed one of the chickens. It just happened to be the one who had 13 babies, all less than a month old, all of who might now die (they typically need a mommy for 2-3 months) unless we can convince one of the other broody hens to take over her job.

The rain has not stopped. After breakfast today, I dug a hole out in the garden and put Kiara's body in there. I came in soaked and muddy and somewhat depressed myself... I just buried my favorite dog. I have tried for several days to hide behind humor for the feelings I have right now, suspecting this would happen several days ago. So, if I in any way offended any of you, now you know why.

:hug:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry to hear about your loss, I know well how it feels to bond with animals, and when they leave us it's hard.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Another nice day, no A/C....doors-windows open, absolutely beautiful....should be pushing 100+ by now, hell I don't think it hit 80.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Current conditions: low overcast, moderate-to-heavy rain (been continuous all day), wind from the NNE at 30 mph with gusts to 45 (might have been 50, but I'm being conservative). Temp is 38 ºF and the wind chill factor is 23 ºF. I'd say there is no doubt this has been the worst Spring since we have lived here. And I had to stand outside in this shit and dig a nice deep hole at the back of the garden? :(

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My mother is at St. Louis, texted me a possible tornado hit close to my sisters house, tossed her lawn furniture into the neighbor's yard. Pretty shitty weather over a huge part of the country.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Current conditions: low overcast, moderate-to-heavy rain (been continuous all day), wind from the NNE at 30 mph with gusts to 45 (might have been 50, but I'm being conservative). Temp is 38 ºF and the wind chill factor is 23 ºF. I'd say there is no doubt this has been the worst Spring since we have lived here. And I had to stand outside in this shit and dig a nice deep hole at the back of the garden? :(
Looks like more rain in the guess....but the temps (should) be slowly rising. Which you would certainly think, since it's almost June.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
From the looks of the doppler this afternoon, St. Louis is lucky that the entire town didn't get wiped out by tornadoes,

VU Sponsors