Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was pretty decent today, bout 65-70....but it's supposed to begin raining tomorrow for about 4-5 days.....hope it dumps enough so we don't get - or need anymore till next summer......:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's a temperature funny:

Yesterday, our high was 45.5 at about 2 PM (barring frontal activity, every day's high is typically early afternoon). Today the high was 45.5 also, but at 9 AM, then it started down (it is 32 at the moment and still dropping slowly). I guess the "December Summer" is over now. Well, hell, we could be in New South Wales, Australia, where it is 115...
I read somewhere it was close to 50C in some part of the downunder.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Didn't get anything but feral mule pictures in my prospecting episode
Hate to tell you this, but mules are a cross between horses and donkeys and cannot, amongst themselves, make babies, so it would be very rare to find any wild mules (they would only survive the original generation with no hope of offspring to carry on the herd). Also, note in your pictures all those animals have a cross on their backs (a dark line goes down the spine and across and down the shoulders, which is a sure sign they are burros).

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hate to tell you this, but mules are across between horses and donkeys and cannot, amongst themselves, make babies, so it would be very rare to find any wild mules (they would only survive the original generation with no hope of offspring to carry on the herd). Also, note in your pictures all those animals have a cross on their backs (a dark line goes down the spine and across and down the shoulders, which is a sure sign they are burros).
They have been around for as long as I can remember.....50 years?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They have been around for as long as I can remember.....50 years?
Which is a confirmation that they are burros, not mules. Also, typically, mules are as large as horses. That's what we used at Grand Canyon for the rides down the canyon trails. Mules, also, have a self-preservation instinct that horses do not seem to have. You can get a horse to walk off the cliff (taking you with it) and the mule says "Fuck no I ain't goin' there you stupid tourist!" :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Which is a confirmation that they are burros, not mules. Also, typically, mules are as large as horses. That's what we used at Grand Canyon for the rides down the canyon trails. Mules, also, have a self-preservation instinct that horses do not seem to have. You can get a horse to walk off the cliff (taking you with it) and the mule says "Fuck no I ain't goin' there you stupid tourist!" :)
Although they are burros, I've always called them mules, it's just a southwest thing....:)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's still here, although we now have a few slick spots. The dirt under it is below freezing, so unless we get some bright sunshine and 50-60 degree temps, it ain't going anywhere until Spring.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not a good thing.
No, but average for here. We had one "winter" where the ground was white before Thanksgiving and we didn't find the grass again until the end of March, and then only in patches. The snow drifts were up to 15-feet deep and they didn't entirely melt until the end of May. Thank gawd that isn't normal.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
MERRY CHRISTMAS MY OLD PHART FRIENDS
364801-Santa-Wanted-Me-To-Drop-In-On-You.jpg

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Duh guessers called for showers today....it poured all day....I assume the same will happen the next couple days....:sad:
Weird weather for you guys.
Kinda strange here today. Sunshine and it got all the way up to 32, then a few minutes later, we looked out thew window and thick fog was forming. Huh? Where did that shit come from? Then the visibility got down to a couple hundred yards and the trees turned all white from freezing fog. When we went out for evening chores, the cows and horse had frost all over them. It's about 19 out there at the moment. I really need to move South.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tomorrow, Rich....in the afternoon....I'm not much of a Christmas kinda guy
I don't think I have done Xmas since 1994. Mom died early 1995 and it seemed like there was no point after that. And now that we are "farmers," unless you can afford a hired hand (we can't), there are no days off, so there are no holidays and no vacations. Every day is the same, so we ignore all holidays.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think I have done Xmas since 1994. Mom died early 1995 and it seemed like there was no point after that. And now that we are "farmers," unless you can afford a hired hand (we can't), there are no days off, so there are no holidays and no vacations. Every day is the same, so we ignore all holidays.
I'm not a full time farmer, but I don't take days off for holidays either....I just couldn't find anyone who wanted me to work tomorrow....:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
See you have a "Dense Fog" alert in your area....never heard of fog forming when it's in the 20's.....:rolleyes:

Help me out.....:)
Fog can form at just about any temperature when the temperature and dew point are close enough together that the moisture in the air starts to condense. Think about fog as merely a cloud that is touching the ground. What is the temperature at 25,000 feet (Cirrus clouds)?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What causes the fog at temps like that..., just guessing, warmer air above cold air?
That helps, but in this case, the air wasn't all that warm, but the moisture increased without being in the form of precipitation. And, at ground level, it was below freezing (snow on the ground) so it just made a low cloud (fog) and the moisture attached itself to everything. Normal people call it freezing fog, but back in my weather days (USAF), we called it "fog depositing rime icing." :) Anyway, there is now spiky ice on everything out there.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That helps, but in this case, the air wasn't all that warm, but the moisture increased without being in the form of precipitation. And, at ground level, it was below freezing (snow on the ground) so it just made a low cloud (fog) and the moisture attached itself to everything. Normal people call it freezing fog, but back in my weather days (USAF), we called it "fog depositing rime icing." :) Anyway, there is now spiky ice on everything out there.
Sounds like a real winter wonderland.....:sad:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Slept till 9:00 AM this morning, thought I was having a nightmare when I looked at the clock......:teehee:

Haven't slept in that late in ages. Rained like mad all night and most of the morning.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Warming up tonight?....nothing to complain about.....we're supposed to be complaining here.....:)

VU Sponsors