Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can ask her. She is on this forum quite regularly, just not here (try the cat lovers section).
It would be a stupid question, how could you possibly complain about being in Hawaii during the winter.....I wouldn't even care of it rained everyday.....:teehee:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The one week I was there (Oahu), it wasn't the heat that tried to kill me but the 95% humidity every day.
That would even feel pretty good to me right now....I don't think it made it to 50 today. I believe the days begin getting longer each day now, so it's all uphill from here.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep......
Winter solstice 2019 in Northern Hemisphere was at 9:19 PM on
Saturday
December 21
All times are in Mountain Standard Time.

BUT I haven't noticed any difference YET..........:giggle:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Guess I shouldn't be bitching about temps in the 50's-60's....those numbers were your highs many days last "summer" if I remember correctly.
I remember when I first moved to Arizona (Tucson, 1972) and listened to some of the locals bitching about "cold weather" (50s in December/January) that I just laughed my ass off and wondered if they could even survive sub-zero. Whether one is hot or cold depends on what part of the country you are used to and how old and tired you have become. Fifteen years ago, I didn't bitch as much as I do today. And when I was an active skier, I prayed for more snow, but now that I limp back and forth to the barns, I pray this shit will go the fuck away. Oh well...

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Strange how the weather guessers can't get their shit together. One site says we're going to have 1/2" accumulation this weekend and another, for the exact same time frame, says 4" and now you show me a storm watch that says 6" with blizzard winds. Well, that's Friday night through Sunday morning and, at the moment, I am only worrying about tomorrow daytime, which is partly to mostly sunny and I have to do the monthly shopping circuit. I'm driving all day, so it damn well better not snow on my groceries.

By the way, we didn't hit your 32 degree guess, but only got up to 29 today. Sigh...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Strange how the weather guessers can't get their shit together. One site says we're going to have 1/2" accumulation this weekend and another, for the exact same time frame, says 4" and now you show me a storm watch that says 6" with blizzard winds. Well, that's Friday night through Sunday morning and, at the moment, I am only worrying about tomorrow daytime, which is partly to mostly sunny and I have to do the monthly shopping circuit. I'm driving all day, so it damn well better not snow on my groceries.

By the way, we didn't hit your 32 degree guess, but only got up to 29 today. Sigh...
You made me laugh....:)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You made me laugh....:)
Then my job is done and I can now curl up and die with a smile on my old face. :D
Yeah, one site is saying run for your life, the other says buy extra food....the other says it should be a decent day.
The silly thing is that they all have access to the same equipment (radar, satellite, computers, etc.) but not a one of them has a clue what will really happen.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Correct, but I bet they have the wind close.....:sad:
Well, it will either be 50 (or 60 or 70) or dead calm. We have had very little wind the past couple weeks, which is EXTREMELY unusual for here and this time of year, so I'm not placing any bets on this weekend. We'll get what we get and you know I'll keep you posted. ;)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's just pouring outside now, and I had my heart set on heading back to the mountains in the morning....guess I'll be doing something else, like nothing.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
walked about 10 miles today, and feels like it was 20
Oh oh, your old phart age is showing. I walked to the barn and back (200 yards?) and it felt like 20 miles. But then there is a distinct possibility that I am in ever so slightly worse shape. :rolleyes:

Gotta get the hell out of here
Does that mean you're going to bed now?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sleep well, my friend, and may your rain dissipate so you can hike another 20...
Rained most of the day, and it was pouring about 2 hrs ago.....not sure when this water will head east. Regardless, I'll hit the mountains tomorrow and do some panning at a spot I found that has a lot of small flake gold, and a creek nearby.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just work up from a cat nap and saw the computer was still on, so figured I'd check in. Had a particularly long and very hard day, so I need to go get in bed properly now (much pain, extremely fatigued, etc.). I'll fill you in on the details tomorrow night after you have struck it rich on your hike. Sorry I'm too tired to sit up any longer tonight.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just work up from a cat nap and saw the computer was still on, so figured I'd check in. Had a particularly long and very hard day, so I need to go get in bed properly now (much pain, extremely fatigued, etc.). I'll fill you in on the details tomorrow night after you have struck it rich on your hike. Sorry I'm too tired to sit up any longer tonight.
Oh that's right...I forgot today was DRIVING day.....:devil:

Have a good one tomorrow, I'm outta here too

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
2aae76ae1a92f4c6f904c1636dbeb765.gif

Sent from....somewhere on Tapatalk

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was looking for the Old Farts subforum but it seems like I got the weather channel instead.
Hey, Uncle, that's what old pharts do. I could bore people to death BSing about the farm to people who don't even know what a cow is, so us old guys pick a common subject: weather, and that way, we can bore each other with something we all know a little bit about. :) So, hang around awhile and talk to us about something more interesting and maybe we can get at least an hour worth of some other kind of conversation. :D

Oh, by the way, we got two inches of fresh snow this morning. o_O

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Abelian Grape

A mathematical joke is a form of humor which relies on aspects of mathematics or a stereotype of mathematicians. The humor may come from a pun, or from a double meaning of a mathematical term, or from a lay person's misunderstanding of a mathematical concept. Mathematician and author John Allen Paulos in his book Mathematics and Humor described several ways that mathematics, generally considered a dry, formal activity, overlaps with humor, a loose, irreverent activity: both are forms of "intellectual play," both have "logic, pattern, rules, structure," and both are "economical and explicit."

Some performers combine mathematics and jokes to entertain and/or teach math.

Humor of mathematicians may be classified into the esoteric and exoteric categories. Esoteric jokes rely on the intrinsic knowledge of mathematics and its terminology. Exoteric jokes are intelligible to the outsiders, and most of them compare mathematicians with representatives of other disciplines or with common folk.

Some jokes use a mathematical term with a second non-technical meaning as the punchline of a joke.

Q. What's purple and commutes?
A. An abelian grape. (A pun on abelian group)

Occasionally, multiple mathematical puns appear in the same jest:

When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies "We can't multiply, we're adders" – so Noah builds them a log table.

And, oh, by the way, it quit snowing, at least for awhile... :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
10 PM (MDST) and it is snowing like a sumbits with wind about 25-30 mph (not quite a blizzard yet, but the wind is supposed to be much higher by morning).
There was SNOW on the mountain tops today, but it was in the mid 50's where I was trying to change a FLAT tire....:devil:...in the middle of nowhere, about 25 miles to the nearest maintained road. What a nightmare, the jack kept sinking into the wet sand-dirt, and I couldn't find any rocks in the vicinity to support the bottom of the jack....that fiasco turned into a 3 hr affair...:sad:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Forgot to bring carrots for the dadburn mulies today....but they were roaming in full force....now I can't even find the pictures on my damn phone, but they're in it someplace.

VU Sponsors