Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I look at my spare tire, it says "THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY TIRE, DO NOT USE LONGER THAN NECESSARY"

I look at the four tires on the truck, it's the exact same tire with a different rim, even Michelin....now why in gods name would they go through all that nonsense printing a label to affix to a fucking spare tire?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I couldn't find any rocks in the vicinity to support the bottom of the jack....that fiasco turned into a 3 hr affair...:sad:
Sounds like your day was almost as bad as my shopping day Friday.

Anyway, I think there's an FBI agent behind that Saguaro (ala Paul). Is that white vehicle in the background your flat tire?
1.JPG
Forgot to bring carrots for the dadburn mulies today
I think I found your missing burro.
2.JPG

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just work up from a cat nap and saw the computer was still on, so figured I'd check in. Had a particularly long and very hard day, so I need to go get in bed properly now (much pain, extremely fatigued, etc.). I'll fill you in on the details tomorrow night after you have struck it rich on your hike. Sorry I'm too tired to sit up any longer tonight.
What was your nightmare?

It must have been a doozie.....:devil:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I look at my spare tire, it says "THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY TIRE, DO NOT USE LONGER THAN NECESSARY"

I look at the four tires on the truck, it's the exact same tire with a different rim, even Michelin....now why in gods name would they go through all that nonsense printing a label to affix to a fucking spare tire?
Likely it does not have the same rating (fewer layers of rubber, shallower treads???).

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Likely it does not have the same rating (fewer layers of rubber, shallower treads???).
It's the EXACT tire which is on all four rims. I asked the guy at Discount Tire why they would put that on the tire...he said so you can run to the dealer and buy a new tire.....actually he didn't have a clue, just a guess

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gotta hit the rack, I'm whipped and didn't do much of anything except fuck with a tire, and try to find someone to repair it. Sure isn't like the good ole days when there was a gas station on every corner, with a Tire Guy-Mechanic, et al

The first place I stopped at they said it would be about 3 hrs, and it was an hour from my house, so I drove to the store near my house and dropped the fucking tire off and returned in 2 hrs.....unbelievable.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What was your nightmare?
Well, I left the driveway at 9 AM under beautiful clear bright blue sky and headed west. I saw a low-hanging cloud bank on the horizon and just assumed the cloud was on the other side of the hills. Wrong! Seven miles from home, I drove into that cloud, the bottom of which was on the ground. Visibility went down to 400 feet, so my speedometer went down from 65 to 40 and I turned on the headlights. Visibility went down to 50 feet and this thick fog lasted another 20 miles. Then I broke out of that and the blue sky returned, but there was patchy ground fog for the next 20 miles. When I got to Belle Fourche, there was no problem with Dakota Mill & Grain, but then I went to Runnings and bought five bales of large pine flakes (for the cow stalls) and when they tried to load them, they only had two, so I got three bales of small flakes with it and went back in the store to get a refund. Then off to Spearfish to do Walmart and they were out of several things on my list, including the 100 pounds of chicken leg quarters (leg and thigh) I get every month (standing order that the new meat manager failed to order) for dog food. So I had to go to the Walmart in Rapid City to get that. I was behind in my schedule and not being too careful and when I got out of the truck, I slipped on something and fell on my face. I was having a terrible time trying to get up, but some young guy saw me and came to help. He was smoking and it smelled pretty good, so I asked him what it was. He said Marlboro Special Select 100s. I said I had never heard of that one (must be newer than when I quit smoking) and when he had me sufficiently leaning against the wall (I could barely support myself), he offered me one of his cigarettes and, to be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to live through the day, so I took it. Damn! It actually tasted pretty good. I thanked him and he left and a few minutes later, I decided I could stagger into the store, so I put the cigarette out without finishing it (I maybe smoke half of it). I got what I needed and staggered back to the truck and off to Sam's Club for the larger bulk items. They were out of most of what I came for and I was getting pissed. I got back in the truck after putting what I did get into the bed/coolers and slowly backed out. I heard a thump, so I moved forward a foot and got out to see what it was (did I leave the cart back there?). There was this tiny car behind me and a young lady got out. That car was so small, I could not see it in any of my three mirrors. Anyway, I was only going about half a mph so there was no damage to her vehicle or mine, so we chatted for a few minutes, then we both left. I went to the Sam's gas station and got gassed up, then drove back to Sturgis for Chinese take out and a quick stop at Dakotamart to get the milk Sam's did not have, then home and I didn't get here until about 6:15 PM (well after dark and I don't have very good night vision) . After dinner, I unloaded all the shit that needed to come in the house (Lannie put it away as I brought it in) then I had that cat nap I mentioned last night. I hurt so bad I could barely sit up and I still don't feel very well.

While all the above was going on, Lannie did all the farm chores by herself and was also in pretty bad shape (she can tell her own story if she is so inclined).

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I left the driveway at 9 AM under beautiful clear bright blue sky and headed west. I saw a low-hanging cloud bank on the horizon and just assumed the cloud was on the other side of the hills. Wrong! Seven miles from home, I drove into that cloud, the bottom of which was on the ground. Visibility went down to 400 feet, so my speedometer went down from 65 to 40 and I turned on the headlights. Visibility went down to 50 feet and this thick fog last another 20 miles. Then I broke out of that and the blue sky returned, but there was patchy ground fog for the next 20 miles. When I got to Belle Fourche, there was no problem with Dakota Mill & Grain, but then I went to Runnings and bought five bales of large pine flakes (for the cow stalls) and when they tried to load them, they only had two, so I got three bales of small flakes with it and went back in the store to get a refund. Then off to Spearfish to do Walmart and they were out of several things on my list, including the 100 pounds of chicken leg quarters (leg and thigh) I get every month (standing order that the new meat manager failed to order) for dog food. So I had to go to the Walmart in Rapid City to get that. I was behind in my schedule and not being too careful and when I got out of the truck, I slipped on something and fell on my face. I was having a terrible time trying to get up, but some young guy saw me and came to help. He was smoking and it smelled pretty good, so I asked him what it was. He said Marlboro Special Select 100s. I said I had never heard of that one (must be newer than when I quit smoking) and when he had me sufficiently leaning against the wall (I could barely support myself), he offered me one of his cigarettes and, to be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to live through the day, so I took it. Damn! It actually tasted pretty good. I thanked him and he left and a few minutes later, I decided I could stagger into the store, so I put the cigarette out without finishing it (I maybe smoke half of it). I got what I needed and staggered back to the truck and off to Sam's Club for the larger bulk items. They were out of most of what I came for and I was getting pissed. I got back in the truck after putting what I did get into the bed/coolers and slowly backed out. I heard a thump, so I moved forward a foot and got out to see what it was (did I leave the cart back there?). There was this tiny car behind me and a young lady got out. That car was so small, I could not see it in any of my three mirrors. Anyway, I was only going about half a mph so there was no damage to her vehicle or mine, so we chatted for a few minutes, then we both left. I went to the Sam's gas station and got gassed up, then drove back to Sturgis for Chinese take out and a quick stop at Dakotamart to get the milk Sam's did not have, then home and I didn't get here until about 6:15 PM (well after dark and I don't have very good night vision) . After dinner, I unloaded all the shit that needed to come in the house (Lannie put it away as I brought it in) then I had that cat nap I mentioned last night. I hurt so bad I could barely sit up and I still don't feel very well.

While all the above was going on, Lannie did all the farm chores by herself and was also in pretty bad shape (she can tell her own story if she is so inclined).
Jesus christ, that takes the cake for anything I've heard in a LONG time.....:facepalm:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Let's see... another 2-3" of snow this morning, but with high winds, we have drifts over 2 feet. I won't be able to get the driveway gate open without the bobcat, and at 20 ºF and winds of 40 mph (chill factor of -1 ºF) and bob does not have an enclosed cab, I can't sit in the thing until this wind dies down. Supposedly it will blow all day tomorrow, so unless they are wrong, I can't clear the paths around here until Tuesday. I just had another nice long catnap, so I am sure I'll have the stamina to do this by Tuesday.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Let's see... another 2-3" of snow this morning, but with high winds, we have drifts over 2 feet. I won't be able to get the driveway gate open without the bobcat, and at 20 ºF and winds of 40 mph (chill factor of -1 ºF) and bob does not have an enclosed cab, I can't sit in the thing until this wind dies down. Supposedly it will blow all day tomorrow, do unless they are wrong, I can't clear the paths around here until Tuesday. I just had another nice long catnap, so I am sure I'll have the stamina to do this by Tuesday.
Unbelievable.............

I didn't find anything today in the mountains, but got one hell of a workout....it was nippy this morning, ice on the pumpkin.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wasn't sure I could even stay awake this late tonight, but I guess I am still here... well, unless this is a dream... naw, then you'd be a beautiful redhead. Oh, wait, she's already in bed. Oh well...

I shoveled some snow near the cow barn and in the chicken run this morning. Wind was still pretty high, so wasn't sure whether I would use bob today or tomorrow. I started counting the other chores I needed to do, but that couldn't be done unless the snow was gone, so I cranked bob up anyway. Funny thing about having snow blowing in your face (ow, that stings!) when you have a clear blue sky. After about 90 minutes, I had enough cleared to do the other stuff. I'll have to crank it up and do more tomorrow when there is less wind.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I found out why they said "DO NOT USE THIS TIRE UNLESS IT'S ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY"

The fucking spare rim doesn't have a "Tire Pressure Monitoring System"

Unfucking believable. Fuck all this computer related gadget shit.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
.it's just goes faster and faster the older we get
Remember to divide one year by your age and that's how much quicker your perception of time will be. I think I mentioned this before (LAST New Year?). When you are 5 it takes forever from one Christmas to the next because that year is 1/5th of your life. But now, a year is only 1/70th of my life (1/71 in about six more weeks), so my perception is that a year is small and passes more quickly.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Remember to divide one year by your age and that's how much quicker your perception of time will be. I think I mentioned this before (LAST New Year?). When you are 5 it takes forever from one Christmas to the next because that year is 1/5th of your life. But now, a year is only 1/70th of my life (1/71 in about six more weeks), so my perception is that a year is small and passes more quickly.
True....I couldn't wait to buy cigs and booze legally.............:oops:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The fucking spare rim doesn't have a "Tire Pressure Monitoring System"
Unfucking believable. Fuck all this computer related gadget shit.
The part about that that really pisses me off is that the manufacturer wants you to believe you simply cannot live without all their stupid ass gadgets. You and I would both rather be back in the 1960s. Remember phone booths instead of stupid ass smart phones. Today, not only do you not have to get up and click a button to change a TV channel, but the wireless remote is no longer good enough... now they want me to believe I MUST have a fucking voice-activated channel changer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If all the garbage was removed from vehicles the cost would be several thousand less.

The more I think about this horseshit the more irrational I become.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Then after you change the tire, you have to go to the dealer and have them reset the computer...or the light in the dash keeps blinking.
I guess I will never buy a new car. I refuse to have the car dictate what I will and won't be able to do. They can keep their fucking 30 computers and I would tape over all the idiot light, cut the wires on all the alarms, and I refuse to pay $70,000 for a $5,000 car.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess I will never buy a new car. I refuse to have the car dictate what I will and won't be able to do. They can keep their fucking 30 computers and I would tape over all the idiot light, cut the wires on all the alarms, and I refuse to pay $70,000 for a $5,000 car.
I almost went ballistic

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If I were to go into a car dealer and give them a list of all the things that MUST be disconnected (or I won't buy the damn thing), do you think they would do it? I wonder if anyone is building like-new 1956 Ford Victorias? 1955 Chevy?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I were to go into a car dealer and give them a list of all the things that MUST be disconnected (or I won't buy the damn thing), do you think they would do it? I wonder if anyone is building like-new 1956 Ford Victorias? 1955 Chevy?
I doubt the gov would allow anyone to build a vehicle without the garbage, but if it was allowed, there would be a HUGE market.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What about those outfits that rebuild old muscle cars and sell them for 30, 40, 50,000? Because the car was initially built without all this modern bullshit, the rebuild does not have to have it. They can strip it and totally rebuild it and it is still considered to be a 1967 Mustang (or whatever). I'd like something with a bench seat...

Hey, maybe we should go into business.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And I don't remember of a window crank EVER breaking in my lifetime...it certainly never happened to me.
I just paid over $300 last year to get a new motor in the passenger side door because it went down and wouldn't go back up. Put in every damn cuss word you ever learned in this spot (kinda like "fuck fuck shit fuck, gobble nibble chew. shitty ass rat fuck, piss cunt screw.).

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What about those outfits that rebuild old muscle cars and sell them for 30, 40, 50,000? Because the car was initially built without all this modern bullshit, the rebuild does not have to have it. They can strip it and totally rebuild it and it is still considered to be a 1967 Mustang (or whatever). I'd like something with a bench seat...

Hey, maybe we should go into business.
True, but there would be a hell of a market for just 50's 60's type car truck (old technology).....I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I remember my first car: a 1952 Mercury Monterrey. V8 flathead, automatic on the column, bench seat, totally manual everything else (AM radio, hand crank windows, etc.). It was my fondest memory of a cruiser...

VU Sponsors