Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just woke up from an unintended nap, so it might take a minute or twelve to find my head...

The low this morning was -14 ºF, then it got really hot... ummm, +3 ºF (so I rode bob for about an hour because we got another 3" of snow last night), then the bottom fell out and I think we were -8 ºF again just after we came in from evening chores. Wind is only 10G15 at the moment, so not too bad, but that still makes the chill factor be -30 ºF.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just woke up from an unintended nap, so it might take a minute or twelve to find my head...

The low this morning was -14 ºF, then it got really hot... ummm, +3 ºF (so I rode bob for about an hour because we got another 3" of snow last night), then the bottom fell out and I think we were -8 ºF again just after we came in from evening chores. Wind is only 10G15 at the moment, so not too bad, but that still makes the chill factor be -30 ºF.
I see they have "Wind Chill Warning"...is that for the dumb people?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Walked about ten miles today, but retrieved no shiny yeller

BUT I did find a quarter and two pennies near a top of a mountain, can't see the age until it's light outside, the coins are in despair. I would never believe if someone told me you'll find some pocket change at about 3400 feet, BURIED....where it looks like nobody except me ever walked the this tiny place. I figure the cowboys and/or indians must have dropped um, but they weren't on horseback, I had a hell of a time just walking the area....VERY steep incline downward.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Awesome hike, Dale. I'd love to have been able to be there.

Yeah, I think those warnings are for people who don't think about what is going on around them. At -30. flesh freezes in about 30 minutes of exposure, but not many people realize that at all, so you have to hit them in the face with words like WARNING, DUMB ASS, YOU GONNA DIE! Pump that wind up a notch and the chill hits -55 and your skin freezes within 5 minutes. Most people take longer than that to get from house to car...

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You get the cow today, or did I misunderstand you?
No, but three days ago, today was the planned day to pick her up. That was when the forecast said it would be sunny and warm(er) today, but with the added snow, I had to plow the turn-around area again or I'd get the trailer stuck. So today and tomorrow are plow days (too cold to stay in bob long enough to do it all in one day) and the current forecast suggests that Friday will be nice enough to go get her. Assuming, of course, those stupid weather assholes actually get it right for a change.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, but three days ago, today was the planned day to pick her up. That was when the forecast said it would be sunny and warm(er) today, but with the added snow, I had to plow the turn-around area again or I'd get the trailer stuck. So today and tomorrow are plow days (too cold to stay in bob long enough to do it all in one day) and the current forecast suggests that Friday will be nice enough to go get her. Assuming, of course, those stupid weather assholes actually get it right for a change.
Noticed that heatwave Friday....oh well, it's now the dead of winter

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm working half a day tomorrow and hitting the hills again, been really nice, about 70. Walking continually - I'd be much happier with 50"s

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
now the dead of winter
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be this nasty... Evening chores only takes us 30-40 minutes and even with my thick padded gloves on, by the time I got back in the house, I could not feel my fingers. So how would you like to be the cow who has to live out there all the time?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be this nasty... Evening chores only takes us 30-40 minutes and even with my thick padded gloves on, by the time I got back in the house, I could not feel my fingers. So how would you like to be the cow who has to live out there all the time?
Yeah that's really rough on livestock. I know I wouldn't care for it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thursday morning note (before I forget):
Temp at get up time, -3 ºF, (which is a lot better than yesterday's -14) and the wind is about 40 mph, which makes the wind chill -33 ºF. We are having a ground blizzard --- snow blowing so badly you can't see very far, but if you look straight up, there is blue sky up there somewhere. The big problem with this wind is that it is coming from the southeast, which drives right through the cracks in the south porch, so even with two electric heaters set at 75 ºF, the temperature in the living room is only 61 ºF. Much of what I cleared with the bobcat yesterday has drifts, at least one of which is almost 3 feet, but other areas that didn't get plowed at all are now clear because that snow seems to have relocated into the next state. Hopefully the outside temp will go up and the wind will die down.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Damn nippy in your neck of the woods this evening....are the guessers correct with 25-30 mph wind?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damn nippy in your neck of the woods this evening....are the guessers correct with 25-30 mph wind?
Well, let's see... this morning was a duplicate of yesterday morning (see post above). Then a miracle occurred about noon -- the wind stopped and the thermometer went right up to +33 ºF (at least for a few minutes), so I went right out and cranked bob up and moved lots and lots of snow. Then all the sudden the wind was back, but from the north instead of southeast and the temp dropped like a rock (it is currently +1 ºF but likely will go sub-zero soon). Oh, and right after dark, it started snowing again, so with wind and snow, everything I did with the bobcat today likely was wasted time. Wind? Oh, it is 'about 35 mph at the moment with gusts around 50. That's a wind chill of -30 ºF, but because it is from the north, at least it isn't blowing through the living room.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nasty night.

Was overcast all day here....went prospecting but come up empty again.

Can't get away from cell service during the week, incase I get a call...which hinders my efforts

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Try hiking up the mountains on the side that faces Phoenix area. You ought to get a clear cell signal that way.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try hiking up the mountains on the side that faces Phoenix area. You ought to get a clear cell signal that way.
Really isn't anymore land available open to the public for doing anything but hiking....need to drive about 25 miles from my house to get to the nearest area which isn't full of buckshot or other garbage.

Really sad to see all the trash people just toss out in areas they assume nobody will ever find.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure when the last time you may have driven through Phoenix, but there is just about solid houses and businesses 20-30 miles north and south....unreal the changes I've seen since the late 70's.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not sure when the last time you may have driven through Phoenix
Early 1990s.
Really sad to see all the trash people just toss out in areas they assume nobody will ever find.
Every time I hiked, whether national park or wilderness, I always carried out more trash than what I carried in. And, of those who I actually saw throwing their garbage on the ground, they were always the same people who, when down in the city, demanded we all use recyclable containers because we were killing our planet with garbage. What a bunch of fucking hypocrites!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Early 1990s.

Every time I hiked, whether national park or wilderness, I always carried out more trash than what I carried in. And, of those who I actually saw throwing their garbage on the ground, they were always the same people who, when down in the city, demanded we all use recyclable containers because we were killing our planet with garbage. What a bunch of fucking hypocrites!
Oh it's really fucked up...alright.

I bring the shit out with me too...lead and small rusty cans etc.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks like a couple more nights of extreme temps in your area.

Hopefully they stay WAY north of me................:deadhorse:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yup. Then, with any luck, it might get all the way up to freezing. :)

Yesterday and last night's winds filled all my paths in deeper than the day before when I used bob to clear them. Because it was still blowing most of today (though not as bad), I didn't bother trying to clear them again. I'll do that tomorrow. Then, with luck, the sky will clear and the winds will drop and maybe we can finally get the cow back home. Poor girl has been delayed getting home a week because of the damn weather.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup. Then, with any luck, it might get all the way up to freezing. :)

Yesterday and last night's winds filled all my paths in deeper than the day before when I used bob to clear them. Because it was still blowing most of today (though not as bad), I didn't bother trying to clear them again. I'll do that tomorrow. Then, with luck, the sky will clear and the winds will drop and maybe we can finally get the cow back home. Poor girl has been delayed getting home a week because of the damn weather.
Was just going to ask about the cow. But yeah, hopefully.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had a shitty job today, freaking place needs about 100K in repairs made. I'm whipped again. But I'm mountain climbing tomorrow in a new area....since it's sunday, I don't care if there is cell service.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks like you may have wind less than 20 mph for a few days....but that's just the guess....:oops:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just one quick question, Dale: What the hell is a barbed wire fence doing at the top of this mountain? Surely no one is trying to keep livestock up there...
1.JPG

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just one quick question, Dale: What the hell is a barbed wire fence doing at the top of this mountain? Surely no one is trying to keep livestock up there...
View attachment 153766
It blew my mind too....no idea, and I have no idea who would have the guts to install the fence, it's about a 1000 ft drop to the right of the barbed wire, at about a 70 degree incline.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FUSION IV Pharmaceuticals, Inc dba. AXIA Pharmaceutical Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Sterile Drug Products Within Expiry Due to A Lack of Assurance of Sterility

FUSION IV Pharmaceuticals, Inc dba. AXIA Pharmaceutical is voluntarily recalling all unused sterile drug products within expiry, to the user level, due to a lack of assurance of sterility. The recalled sterile products have been found to be inconsistent with federal guidelines.
Lack of Sterility again............:deadhorse:

VU Sponsors