“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just wondering if anyone had any rules they apply to older, primarily, clone recipes where the percentage seems around double what everyone is developing today. Do you cut the percentages in half?
I’d probably mix as written. Then see if I need to fuss with percentages. Clones are of commercial juice, which generally does hit that 20% mark.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thing to consider is the flavors used. A lot of the older juices were most likely using mainly Capella and TFA. They are two of the largest companies and they tend to be cheaper as well. Today there are companies making more highly concentrated flavors, such as Flavorah which are also more expensive. So if you were to make a clone using the former flavors, you could get away with a higher %. But if you were to sub in FLV, some of the Inawera line, Flavor Arts, Medicine Flower and others, it probably wouldn't work out as well.

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thing to consider is the flavors used. A lot of the older juices were most likely using mainly Capella and TFA. They are two of the largest companies and they tend to be cheaper as well. Today there are companies making more highly concentrated flavors, such as Flavorah which are also more expensive. So if you were to make a clone using the former flavors, you could get away with a higher %. But if you were to sub in FLV, some of the Inawera line, Flavor Arts, Medicine Flower and others, it probably wouldn't work out as well.
Excellent point - there is one recipe that had FA raspberry at 4%, which I found high for FA. Everything else seemed high but reasonable based on the points you made.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Very good point. I’d throw in FW, too. Super cheap.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Excellent point - there is one recipe that had FA raspberry at 4%, which I found high for FA. Everything else seemed high but reasonable based on the points you made.

FA Raspberry at 4% would taste like a mouthful of soap to me. Even standalone, 2% is almost too much for my taste buds.

VU Sponsors