Become a Patron!

On your mech how much voltage is actually getting to your coil?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only way to say for sure is to measure the voltage between the positive post and negative post while firing.
Being careful not to short things out of course.

With a fully charged 25R I got 3.6V at the coil. Coil was .25.

Coil value will of course effect both mod voltage drop and battery sag.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Less than resting voltage.....

That's where the real ART comes into making a good vaping build.... getting ohm.. voltage and coil mass to play well is the real ART of building.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Less than resting voltage.....

That's where the real ART comes into making a good vaping build.... getting ohm.. voltage and coil mass to play well is the real ART of building.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Yes and even changing to a different brand of battery can change your vape.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only way to say for sure is to measure the voltage between the positive post and negative post while firing.
Being careful not to short things out of course.

Or you can use a tankometer, or a ohmmeter box (most can measure battery voltage with a supplied add-on) to do it safely and easily.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I seriously doubt the accuracy of tankometers and such. And they do not take into account any atty voltage drop. Tankometers will actually add resistance and cause the battery sag voltage to rise a bit.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I seriously doubt the accuracy of tankometers and such

All of mine have fairly close readings compared to one another. Also, they're plenty precise enough for the purpose of vaping.

And they do not take into account any atty voltage drop

Of course they do: the voltage is the same anywhere in the circuit. What do you think you measure if it's not the voltage drop due to the resistance of the entire circuit - coil, battery's internal resistance, mod and atty? It's not like the voltage is different at the atty and at the battery's terminals :)

Tankometers will actually add resistance and cause the battery sag voltage to rise a bit.

That is true. But like I said... plenty precise enough for vaping. If you're afraid of that, use a ohm meter box: they have their own battery.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the voltage is the same anywhere in the circuIt's not like the voltage is different at the atty and at the battery's terminals :)it.
No it is not the same everywhere and yes when the atty is firing the atty voltage and battery voltage will be different.

So the resistance in 1 ft of Kanthal is the same as in 100 ft of Kanthal or even copper wire?
Resistance = voltage drop be it in copper, Kanthal, etc The longer a conductor is the more resistance.

I am a lifelong Certified Electronics tech.
The farther you get from the voltage source the lower the voltage assuming that current is flowing.
If no current is flowing then it is pretty much the same but then you are not measuring for battery sag and voltage drop in mod and atty.

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No it is not.

Yes it is. You're not measuring the voltage with the voltmeter in series in the circuit. You're measuring the voltage across the + and the - of the battery, whether you do it right at the battery, at the 510 connector or at the atty's posts. It's the same voltage anywhere.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes it is. You're not measuring the voltage with the voltmeter in series in the circuit. You're measuring the voltage across the + and the - of the battery, whether you do it right at the battery, at the 510 connector or at the atty's posts. It's the same voltage anywhere.
You are incorrect.
You are saying that there is no voltage drop in a mod?
All mods will have voltage drop, how much depends on construction, wire gauge used, battery contact grades, etc. And will increase as the current drawn increases.

End of story.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are incorrect.
End of story.

Oh yeah, if you want to be pedantic about it, you'll have a small voltage drop in the mass of copper that is the mod, and the 510 connector. But that's nothing at all compared to what you get from the coil's resistance and the battery's internal resistance.

So yeah, if you're pedantic, I'm wrong :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a purely electrical issue.
Why do you think that they specify maximum wire run lengths in home wiring depending on the ampacity of the circuit?
Because if you have too long of a run and the voltage at the end will not be high enough to operate the equipment.
Even though the wire is rated for the current draw.
Go to a bigger size though for the same current demand and you will have less voltage drop over the length of the wire at the current desired.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a purely electrical issue.
Why do you think that they specify maximum wire run lengths in home wiring depending on the ampacity of the circuit?

Here's the corollary of your question: how long is a mod and how thick is it? :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah, if you want to be pedantic about it, you'll have a small voltage drop in the mass of copper that is the mod, and the 510 connector. But that's nothing at all compared to what you get from the coil's resistance and the battery's internal resistance.

So yeah, if you're pedantic, I'm wrong :)
So the voltage drop in the mod itself does not matter?

You are still wrong.
what happens when your mod starts hitting weak and you clean the contacts and such?
You are lowering the resistance in the mod and therefore the voltage drop.

Warm switch = increased resistance and voltage drop.
Burned switch or 510 contacts? Same story.
Even the little 510 screw has resistance and voltage drop esp at 20 amps or so.

Pedantic or accurate?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
*sigh*

Yes you're right, and no it doesn't matter because, again, the voltage drop due to the mod is negligible compared to that due to the coil and the battery's internal resistance. Hence... pedantic.

And again, it's vaping, not precision electronics. You're not one of these people who think 0.1V really makes a difference in vaping enjoyment are you?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the corollary of your question: how long is a mod and how thick is it? :)
The case of the mod itself will have a very negligible resistance because of it's mass. Mooch verified this thru testing. Makes no real difference if it is SS, Copper, brass or even gold.

The other parts like 510 pin, switch assembly, threads, etc is an entirely different story though since they focus the current down to a much smaller area and thereby increase the voltage drop in that area.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
*sigh*

Yes you're right, and no it doesn't matter because, again, the voltage drop due to the mod is negligible compared to that due to the coil and the battery's internal resistance. Hence... pedantic.

And again, it's vaping, not precision electronics. You're not one of these people who think 0.1V really makes a difference in vaping enjoyment are you?
.5 volts at 20 amps will make 10 watts difference.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You ain't getting a .5V drop due to the 510 connector or the switch. You get most of that .5V drop due to the goddamn coil and the battery's internal resistance.

VU Sponsors