Become a Patron!

One of those days when you can't build anything...

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Today I finally had spare time to do some building. Started with Alien... my drill died. I had some fused claptons but when I tried to dry burn them I realised one is made from SS and the other from Kanthal. Since Im stuck without a drill, I tried with just a microcoil. Now Im so frustrated that I cant even wick my RDA.

So what do you do when you get frustrated with building. Do you wait some time, use just an ordinary coil or light up a cigarette (did that eventually).:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Good god man... Get a baggy.. Make your typical fused claptons... Put those in baggy..
When building goes wrong you grab your coils out that bag. Dont mix and match diff metals with the ones in that bag.
That pisses me off you lit up a smoke over it, you PM me your info ill send you coils if thats all thats needed to keep you vapeing bro

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
Every day is a day I can't build anything! Spares and more spares and backups for your spares. And plain old coils work. And for an rda you can just jam cotton under and around the coils and paint them between draws until your settled enough to wick it right. Shit don't need to look pretty to work.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use an AC and a DC drill. When I'm frustrated with the stuff I build I'll just put a new spin on a simple alien or staggerton. Often they get as much love as my other stuff so it all works out.
For instance I couldn't get my super double stuffed builds to work out so I made this staggerton. Nothing complicated about it but the colors and skip fusing made it look really nice.
e14ec6cebd4b49bc9098f9ea5dc3f0ce.jpg

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
As much as I enjoyed the flavor from rebuildables, I went back to buying coils because of the frustration..poor motor skills + bad eye sight = one pissed off vaper

Now I only keep one rda going, cleitos have pretty good for flavor so I don't really miss the rta experience

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
In the end I used high speed corded drill for my fused claptons. Way harder but eventually it came out pretty good.

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ya corded drill is all i use for my regular clapton, fused claptons mainly cause im lazy and its almost impossible to screw those 2 up.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems that I run into those days far more often without my coil jig (Man do I miss it.) Either my coils end up janky and I spread the wraps too far apart or I overlap them when compressing them after heating! I just switch to my smaller 24mm Mason that already has a couple of my experimental twisted coils I made. Pisses me off when I have to do that because I get WAY superior flavor and clouds out of my 36mm Buddha because I can fit larger coils .

As Fat Bastard would say, "Once you've had fat, you'll never go back." I guess one good thing about going back to my Mason is it doesn't look so ridiculously huge on my box, LOL! Guess my next purchase should be a bigger box.

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try a 0.06 build in a 24mm...there's a reason you don't see builders vaping 30mm+ attys.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't know how... I have a regulated box, and the protection kicks in if I go below 0.1 ohms. Hence I will get an "Atomizer too low" message on this box.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Went a week with everything going wrong when trying to build. Don't light a smoke up build a simple coil or two stick it in and vape. Then when you build what you want in a day or two, switch it out. I would be back smoking if I light up after every failed attempt / attempts.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't know how... I have a regulated box, and the protection kicks in if I go below 0.1 ohms. Hence I will get an "Atomizer too low" message on this box.
Yeah, regulated mods suck for building low. My bad.

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Just ordered Ss Staggered Fused clapton from Geek vape for those dark days.:)

I dont have the knowledge to build that low on mech mod but 0.1 is pretty low for me anyway.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, regulated mods suck for building low. My bad.

Exactly, and since I don't quite know what I'm doing yet when building, I don't intend to get a mech mod anytime soon. I am interested in learning, though and that's part of why I came here.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just ordered Ss Staggered Fused clapton from Geek vape for those dark days.:)

I dont have the knowledge to build that low on mech mod but 0.1 is pretty low for me anyway.

Get ready for a disappointment. You can make better stuff without a drill.

Exactly, and since I don't quite know what I'm doing yet when building, I don't intend to get a mech mod anytime soon. I am interested in learning, though and that's part of why I came here.

There isn't much to know.
Voltage/Ohm=Amperage
VoltageXAmperage=Wattage
Stay in your CDR till you know what you're doing and build with SS or n80. If you're having to wait for a coil to heat up just scrap it and try again. That last one applies to regulated mods too.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is Ohm's law all there is to it? I'm familiar with that from the advanced Physics classes I took. How does taste differ between different wire types? Right now I'm pretty limited in my options because I've got nothing to make the kind of setups you guys have, but I'm looking into possibly buying a Daedalus DIY tool to experiment with. Right now I'm forced to use the fused clapton rolls my local vape shop sells. Those seem to give me the best flavor out of all my wire.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dude, I have days when I can't even wick an atty, let alone spin an alien, without fucking something up lol. So on the "good days", I try to make a few extras for them other days. I also keep spare attys ready to go for those days when shit breaks and makes me want to break more shit.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is Ohm's law all there is to it? I'm familiar with that from the advanced Physics classes I took. How does taste differ between different wire types? Right now I'm pretty limited in my options because I've got nothing to make the kind of setups you guys have, but I'm looking into possibly buying a Daedalus DIY tool to experiment with. Right now I'm forced to use the fused clapton rolls my local vape shop sells. Those seem to give me the best flavor out of all my wire.
I don't see what's so special about the Daedalus, but I've never used one. I guess if I didn't already have drills and swivels, it may look more appealing. Dunno.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah it's just ohms law, nothing difficult.
SS and n80 have a lower resistance. Kanthal takes way too long to heat on a mech. As long as you're close to your cell's CDR at first you'll be fine.

I don't taste any difference.
The clapton machines are useless. A drill and a spool tamer can make a perfect clapton with 46g and probably higher...the machine can only make clapton but you can do anything with the drill.
But it's better to just clapton it by hand. All you do is hold a spool in front of the fuse, there's really nothing to it. Once you get bored with clapton you'll have a more steady hand and be more able to make aliens and so on.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see what's so special about the Daedalus, but I've never used one. I guess if I didn't already have drills and swivels, it may look more appealing. Dunno.

It's just a cheaper alternative to a drill. Nothing more, nothing less.

SS and n80 have a lower resistance. Kanthal takes way too long to heat on a mech. As long as you're close to your cell's CDR at first you'll be fine.

The clapton machines are useless. A drill and a spool tamer can make a perfect clapton with 46g and probably higher...the machine can only make clapton but you can do anything with the drill.
But it's better to just clapton it by hand. All you do is hold a spool in front of the fuse, there's really nothing to it. Once you get bored with clapton you'll have a more steady hand and be more able to make aliens and so on.

Hmm, I'll do some Googling and see if I can hand-wrap the clapton then. Sounds like the cheapest route.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
He means holding the spool in one hand letting the wire feed onto the core, and running the drill with the other. The Daedalus is completely hands-free(I think). Wrapping with hands only, no drill, is an exercise in masochism lol.
Corded, and cordless, drills can be purchased cheaper than the Daedalus. No need for a $100 Dewalt.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My $30 AC drill I started with is still going strong despite having been run full speed every time it's used. The only time I've ever really used a spool tamer is for 38/46g micro clap but if you just can't fathom holding a spool, that's a good option.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Perhaps you can check my math to see if I did it correctly?

I have a 3-battery mod using LG HG2s rated for 3.7v, 3000mAh and four coils at 0.18 ohms wired in series. Using the formula I = (E / R) * 3 because I have 3 batteries, I divided the voltage, 3.7 by the resistance, 0.18 and multiplied the result by 3 (again, because my mod takes 3 batteries), and I get about 62 amps max CDR, or a little over 20 amps per battery. I think the exact number was 61.55555555555556.

Did I do it right?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is it a regulated mod? If so none if the math is relevant.
Firstly you'd need 4 0.045 ohm coils to make 0.16ohm in series so something is off there. No way you're making 0.045ohm builds because my SS staples are 0.06ohm as dual coils
Most attys put the coils in parallel.
Secondly I don't know how the batteries are configured so I can't do any math from that. Thirdly a charged cell is 4.2v.
So I'll use 3 cells and 0.18ohm and show you both situations.

In parallel the voltage doesn't stack but the amperage and capacity does so at 0.18ohm you'd get 97.9w.

4.2v/0.18=23.3a
23.3a x 4.2v=97.9w

In series only the voltage stacks so 4.2x3=12.6v
0.18ohm is going to be a very very low build for this setup but I'll do the math so you an see.

12.6v/0.18=70a (very dangerous)
70a x 12.6v=882w

I use tubes and a quad parallel mod because I build low and can actually get power out of them. Most of my builds are around 0.08 to 0.06ohm...plus most regulated mods are very underwhelming for me as a builder.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do you mean by "I don't know how the batteries are configured?" If this is what you're asking, the batteries are in series. Here, maybe a picture of my box will help, only now it says 0.22 ohms instead of 0.18.

mB9ybD.jpg

xJBo88.jpg

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's regulated mod dude...

I gave the math for both series and parallel.

I had such a hard time building a staple coil yesterday. I couldn't even wrap a coil right. It worked out though.

I made my first staple wire three days ago, tried to wrap it, and screwed it up. I was so pissed! So I made another one last night, but it took forever to stack the ribbon right. I think I needed the frustration, though... I ended up learning a few things that will help me next time.

Anyway, the wrapping mishap. Got one usable but sloppy coil out of the first staple wire, but got three coils from yesterday's staple wire. I purposely made one sloppy to go with the first one, and I made two that came out pretty damn good. And it was worth it. Those sloppy coils taste damn great! Staple coils are definitely my favorite so far. I'm still trying to get that perfect alien, but I'm getting closer to that, too.
IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0035.JPG
I guess to answer the OP's question, I try and do the same thing that others have said and work on other things, especially the basics since I just started, and sometimes I walk away and revisit things a day later. But usually I end up wondering how something that was so easy yesterday is a damn struggle all of a sudden, lol. Go figure!

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Today I finally had spare time to do some building. Started with Alien... my drill died. I had some fused claptons but when I tried to dry burn them I realised one is made from SS and the other from Kanthal. Since Im stuck without a drill, I tried with just a microcoil. Now Im so frustrated that I cant even wick my RDA.

So what do you do when you get frustrated with building. Do you wait some time, use just an ordinary coil or light up a cigarette (did that eventually).:(

With practice I can make a simple 6 wrap 28 Awg SS 0.6 ohm coil in under a minute now since I quit trying to be an artist with them haha. I rebuild and rewick 10 CLR coils at a time and put the in a ziplock bag. Weekends I also build the same coils on a couple of Kayfun V3s and I'm set. Prepared. I don't need a double helix triple twisted fused staircase Clapton derivative to get good flavor. Spaced single round wire coil is where it's at. :D

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess to answer the OP's question, I try and do the same thing that others have said and work on other things, especially the basics since I just started, and sometimes I walk away and revisit things a day later. But usually I end up wondering how something that was so easy yesterday is a damn struggle all of a sudden, lol. Go figure!

IKR? Better to just drop it and come back later, lest I throw my wire against a wall, LOL!

I want to start out with simple Claptons at first, then experiment with those. Vaping for me is as much art as science. I don't look at it as a means to stop smoking because I never really started. Sure I was dumb and smoked a few times when I was a kid, but my parents quickly put a stop to that. I remember one time I was caught smoking in the backyard with a few friends. Seeing my mom standing there when we went to go back in the house was not a pretty sight, as the look on her face pretty much said she was not a happy camper! :D

Subohmer82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Round wire builds for me, excusively, never cared for claptons, built them in all variations of wire, cores and outer wire, not my choice of coil, some nights i do tend to have a chaotic build session though, wire spools out unexpectedly, forget how many wraps midway of building the second coil, wraps not completely touching, so i just do what i know works, continue to make the ugliest round wire build with the same amount of wraps, get the coils to glow evenly and wick the damn thing! Still vapes as intended! Lol

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you'll be surprised at how easy it is to make clapton.
I'd recommend getting 3000' (6x 500' spools) of 36g and 38g SS from here:
http://www.kbeevapeswholesale.com/apps/webstore/products/category/1443976?page=1

And 28g and 26g core wire from here:
https://store.coilsociety.com/

If you're using a regulated mod you'll probably want kanthal or n80 so you aren't too low to fire when you start making aliens. If you're using a mech you'll need n80 or SS so it's not too high to be worthwhile.
You can also get the fuse from Coil Society but you'll end up using alot of it and throwing much of it away.

The best swivels are these:
http://m.tackledirect.com/sea-striker-billfisher-krok-barrel-swivels-2pk.html

The 330lb ones last a very long time, you won't need more than 2 for several months and you won't need smaller ones till you start making tiny intricate things like 4ply paraclap and micro clapton.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You're right, as I've already watched YouTube videos of people making these, and I marvel at how simple it all seems. There's a series fused clapton build on there that I want to try when I get claptons down.

Round wire builds for me, excusively, never cared for claptons, built them in all variations of wire, cores and outer wire, not my choice of coil, some nights i do tend to have a chaotic build session though, wire spools out unexpectedly, forget how many wraps midway of building the second coil, wraps not completely touching, so i just do what i know works, continue to make the ugliest round wire build with the same amount of wraps, get the coils to glow evenly and wick the damn thing! Still vapes as intended! Lol

That's what I thought when I first came here, until I started seeing all the cool wire builds I've seen people posting. The sweet "artsy" wire builds I've seen on here have piqued my interest. I'm curious as to how they enhance flavor/cloud production. I just need to buy the stuff for it.

Last edited:

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wish I could make claptons and aliens and such but I doubt I'll ever be able to. I did manage to make some simple round wire builds though. This pair is my first attempt - 5 wraps, 24g KA1, 3mm, .25 ohms:

PSX_20170703_175636.jpg

This next picture is the second pair I made by myself. 24g KA1, 12 wraps, 3mm, .5 ohms for the pair. Awesome flavor in my Reload clone. Even though they're simple coils, I pretty much made em one-handed.

PSX_20170709_224738.jpg

Last edited:

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I could make claptons and aliens and such but I doubt I'll ever be able to I did manage to make some simple round wire builds though.

I didn't know how to make claptons either when I first came here. There are many, many Youtube videos on the subject though. Here's one that's really easy to follow.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I didn't know how to make claptons either when I first came here. There are many, many Youtube videos on the subject though. Here's one that's really easy to follow.

Knowing how isn't my problem. I could learn how easy enough, but due to 2 strokes, my left arm and hand is practically useless. :) I have to do everything pretty much one-handed.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I could soo make a joke about that one-handed thing, but no. Wrong circumstances. That sucks dude. :sad:

I can do just about anything I want to...even make simple coils and install and wick 'em but I haven't figured out any way to do anything more complicated. Fortunately, there are folks around here like Raymo2u that makes nice coils and will make some for folks.

I'm gonna put a pair of his aliens in my Reload tomorrow. I'll have the house to myself most of the day and can get it done with no interruptions! :)

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rheostat pedal+drill+gun vice=one handed builder. That's alot to get just to build but it's a fun hobby. I think you'd be able to go pretty far with one hand.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rheostat pedal+drill+gun vice=one handed builder. That's alot to get just to build but it's a fun hobby. I think you'd be able to go pretty far with one hand.

Thanks for that.

After 40 odd years in construction off and on, I've got drills out the wazoo and there's an old sewing machine out in the shed I could use the pedal for speed control. I can get a vise pretty cheap so I could probably make something like fused claptons - not easy, but I'm sure I could do it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to wick properly but after I learn that, I may try some building.

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Old 510 connector secured to a table will solve the wicking issue. A pair of quality tweezers will help you also.

Check out daedalus clapton coil jig.

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd recommend getting 3000' (6x 500' spools) of 36g and 38g SS from here:
http://www.kbeevapeswholesale.com/apps/webstore/products/category/1443976?page=1

And 28g and 26g core wire from here:
https://store.coilsociety.com/

If you're using a regulated mod you'll probably want kanthal or n80 so you aren't too low to fire when you start making aliens. If you're using a mech you'll need n80 or SS so it's not too high to be worthwhile.
You can also get the fuse from Coil Society but you'll end up using alot of it and throwing much of it away.

The best swivels are these:
http://m.tackledirect.com/sea-striker-billfisher-krok-barrel-swivels-2pk.html

The 330lb ones last a very long time, you won't need more than 2 for several months and you won't need smaller ones till you start making tiny intricate things like 4ply paraclap and micro clapton.
I never thought about using smaller swivels for lighter work. Makes sense tho. Im going to give these a try

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Old 510 connector secured to a table will solve the wicking issue. A pair of quality tweezers will help you also.

Check out daedalus clapton coil jig.

I've got the coilmaster v3 kit with all the tools that includes the tab mini meter. I just leave it in the case so it doesn't move around on me while I'm installing coils or wicking and it works really well.

My problem is judging how much cotton to use. I just started trying to wick coils a few days ago and I haven't figured that part out yet. I'll get it...eventually. :)

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never thought about using smaller swivels for lighter work. Makes sense tho. Im going to give these a try

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yeah the big ones are hard for me and Ray to use because we end up with alot more twist in the line. The kroks are good though....their 330lbs spin like most 10lbs.

Nekrabyte

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's nothing super special about it, but i do really love mine. its not that claptoning is difficult, its just that the daedalus makes it even easier.... once i get it set up, i can just walk away, and come back with no spacing perfect fused claptons every single time. it's more expensive than getting a simple drill and all the swivels and clamps and such, but not by a crazy amount, and its quite well made and easy to work with.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like when I make 38g/46g micro clapton with a spool tamer.

VU Sponsors