Become a Patron!

Online investment scams

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I first started shopping overseas online, I made the mistake of including my phone number on the online registration forms. Ever since, I have been getting phone calls from Canada (mostly), US, UK, Tajikistan (yes), and even Auckland. Sometimes 2 or 3 a day, down to 1 or 2 a week. I have inadvertently answered a couple of them. They try to get you to install their "absolutely free" investment software on your phone or computer....hmmmm. They are persistent, you have to just hang up on them.
I know a handful of others who get them too. They all shop, or have shopped online.
I have learnt my lesson too late....no phone number on online registration forms.....

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
When I first started shopping overseas online, I made the mistake of including my phone number on the online registration forms. Ever since, I have been getting phone calls from Canada (mostly), US, UK, Tajikistan (yes), and even Auckland. Sometimes 2 or 3 a day, down to 1 or 2 a week. I have inadvertently answered a couple of them. They try to get you to install their "absolutely free" investment software on your phone or computer....hmmmm. They are persistent, you have to just hang up on them.
I know a handful of others who get them too. They all shop, or have shopped online.
I have learnt my lesson too late....no phone number on online registration forms.....

This could be helpful being stickied somewhere, I KNOW Fasttech does this, I got spam calls only during the two weeks after placing an order before changing my phone number on their file.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah...I have bought a few things from FastTech...
Me too and never any phone calls related to that.
I just keep getting calls from a resort vacation planner person...
Programmed their number with the name of Asshole in my cell phone so I know.

But I know where that came from. Made the mistake of signing up with a hotel chain for points and such....

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
This could be helpful being stickied somewhere, I KNOW Fasttech does this, I got spam calls only during the two weeks after placing an order before changing my phone number on their file.
Ah...I have bought a few things from FastTech...

I have been buying from FastTech for years, included my phone number and do not have this problem

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vape stuff is where I invest my income ;)

Yup...probably haven't even saved any money over the cost of smoking..
I have been buying from FastTech for years, included my phone number and do not have this problem

Yeah, I don't think it is the individual companies (FastTech, 3FVape etc..) that sell off phone numbers and personal info...dunno how it gets into the hands of the scammers..

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yup...probably haven't even saved any money over the cost of smoking..

Yeah, I don't think it is the individual companies (FastTech, 3FVape etc..) that sell off phone numbers and personal info...dunno how it gets into the hands of the scammers..

They just buy the lists same as legitimate companies - they get compiled from all manner of public records or from companies that openly traffic in your information - it's unreal

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing in China all net information is property of the Communist party.
They profile the heck out of their citizens based on purchases, etc...

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Consistently, after each order from Fasttech, I would get spam calls from all over the US and occasionally Canada for about two weeks. They would always stop and start again after another order. That doesn't mean everyone who orders from them would have that happen, they probably have an algorithm that just picks certain areas, or something.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Consistently, after each order from Fasttech, I would get spam calls from all over the US and occasionally Canada for about two weeks. They would always stop and start again after another order. That doesn't mean everyone who orders from them would have that happen, they probably have an algorithm that just picks certain areas, or something.
Use Paypal or CC?

Been ordering from FT for over 2 years and never noticed any spam calls resulting from it.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Use Paypal or CC?

Been ordering from FT for over 2 years and never noticed any spam calls resulting from it.

PayPal every time. Same time frame, think my first order was June 2015

I suppose it could be something linked to the card on my PayPal account rather than Fasttech, but I don't recall getting those types of calls after ordering from other websites :confused:

But then...I used my card directly on other sites...holy moly it could be PayPal? Maybe they made a deal with Walmart's card service to sell information

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
PayPal every time. Same time frame, think my first order was June 2015

I suppose it could be something linked to the card on my PayPal account rather than Fasttech, but I don't recall getting those types of calls after ordering from other websites :confused:

But then...I used my card directly on other sites...holy moly it could be PayPal? Maybe they made a deal with Walmart's card service to sell information
I have only used straight CC....

VU Sponsors