Become a Patron!

Only One Coil Firing, Dual Coil Build

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You've checked and all of the screws are tightened down and making good contact with the coils? Both coils are as close as possible to the exact same size and spacing, so that they're heating the same amount at the same time?

Only things I can think of are that maybe a screw is backed out or one coil has longer legs/an uneven build and is taking longer to ramp up...

I've tried all post screws, the coils are the same spacing, and I soaked the coils to see if it was a ramp up issue and it's not, it just won't fire the other regardless of how long I fire them without getting the point I'm worried of the one coil cotton getting too dry. Also I snipe the legs both at the post so neither has longer legs poking out

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, well hopefully someone smarter than me can chime in before too long...in the meantime it might help to get some pics up if you can.

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Question...are your negative posts milled into the deck (machined as part of the deck) if so that's a good start at finding a solution. is it possible to switch the coils with each other or install new coils?
By doing this you remove the coils from the equation.
Make sure screws are tight but not so tight you have sheared one of the coil legs off. I've had coils shear like this before with similar results

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What do the ohms display as? It could be possible one of the coils is broken right at the post.

It could also be that the coils are not matched. Take the cotton out and dry fire it.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Also check the positive connection.
I would pull and clean the while thing and take it down to pieces cleaning it and inspecting the insulators.

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you have welds on the negatives ..... They may have broke loose... Use a multi meter to ring them out IMO I would start there before pulling the build.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you have welds on the negatives ..... They may have broke loose... Use a multi meter to ring them out IMO I would start there before pulling the build.
True always go the more direct simple route the fix is often times the simplest one.

I just err on the side of caution having had an insulator melt that was causing issues.

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That would ring out by going pos to neg... If the pos is touching it will ring off the deck as well

DanRo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i dont know if its mentioned, but the coil thats not firing have you tried replacing it maybe its a blown coil with a small unnoticeable crack in it

Question...are your negative posts milled into the deck (machined as part of the deck) if so that's a good start at finding a solution. is it possible to switch the coils with each other or install new coils?
By doing this you remove the coils from the equation.
Make sure screws are tight but not so tight you have sheared one of the coil legs off. I've had coils shear like this before with similar results
Think this was it at least partly, washed the atty out and dried it while it was upside down, think a shrapnel of the wire got stuck down one of my post ! Also cleaned around the firing pin on the eleaf, got some dirt from my pocket in there somehow (I work with soil and plants)

Thanks for all the help guys ! Was about to just trash the mod and buy a new one, saved me a lot of money !

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Glad you got it sorted. If one coil was firing it would not have been the mod though, the issue in cases like that is always in the atty or coils themselves.

VU Sponsors