Become a Patron!

Opinions on premade wire spools, Vandy Vape, Coilology, etc

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys,

I've started using RTAs and RDAs a few months ago and have been loving them. I have only used prebuild coils so far, like the Coilology 7-in-1 kit. I only really enjoyed a few coils from those kits, like fused claptons and staples. That got me interested in the 10ft wire spool that these companies sell, but there are lots of options. I've noticed that Coilology, Vandy Vape, and Geek Vape all make these spools (and I know I'm probably missing like a hundred other companies).

At this point, I'm leaning toward the Vandy Vape SS staggered fused claptons. I've never used SS in my rebuildables, and a TC option would be cool.

So I'd like to hear your guys opinions, experiences, and suggestions with these products.

Also, are coil wrappers really necessary? I already have a jig with different diameters, but if they are really worth the money I might grab one. The wire would be used in a CSMNT RDA and SMM RTA on a Voopoo Drag. I don't think that makes a huge difference though...

Thanks guys!

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’ve never used any of the premade coils, so, I can’t weigh in on that...I’d say get some wire, a drill, some pliers, wire cutters, and hopefully you’ve already got some ceramic tweezers. Then, get on YouTube watch some tutorials on how to make a clapton...once you get your technique for that down, the coil building world is your oyster.
For wrapping the wire into coils, a set of precision screwdrivers is pretty standard across the board...the 3mm is the one used most often or step down to the 2.4mm if build deck space is limited...no jig of any type needed.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you already have a jig then the coil winders aren't really necessary. I'm assuming by jig with different diameters, you're talking about the tool that's a long spindle with stepped down diameters? The winder tools like the coilmaster v3/v4 are the same thing, just a slightly different setup. For more complex wire builds they don't work as well as they do with single round wire. I still use it but just as a jig, not using the other end that spins around the jig to wrap the wire around the spindle.

Haven't used any of those personally, they likely work fine. One of the biggest considerations is what the builds are, if it's a clapton or staggered fused clapton are they wrapping 26 or 28ga cores with 32ga wrap? Or are they offering higher gauge like 36-40ga or thinner wrap? They seem to be improving but a lot of them still seem to favor thicker wrap wire (30-32ga) and I personally don't care for it. It adds nothing to the build other than wire mass that kills ramp up and retains heat forever.

I tried some premade from UD and it sucked, by the time I cranked the power up enough to improve ramp up it was cooking the hell out of the juice and I was getting more of a hot almost burnt flavor. I'd used their regular round wire and didn't have an issue with flavor. Built my own fused clapton using thinner 38ga ni80 and it was a night and day difference.

Stainless is nice in my opinion since it works in either wattage or t.c., flavor tastes good to me. All the coils I make I use ss316l, have only used ni80 as wrap. If you've found particular coils from them you like from a multi pack, look to see which ones they were and see if they offer that same build on a spool. Then you can cut off pieces 6-8" in length and wrap them to whatever diameter you want.

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for you responses. I should have mentioned that I will eventually get into making my own 'fancy' coils. I'm definitely a tinkerer so that's inevitable. But I'd like to find a reliable product that will bridge the gap to me making my own coils. And I'll check out some of the links to other wire. I would be nice to find some that are actually made in the US.

The specs on the Vandy Vape SS staggered fused clapton are below. They do appear to be using thicker gauge wires for the build.

SS Staggered Fused Clapton
  • 0.85 Ohms per Foot
  • (26ga + 32ga)*2+32ga
And here are the other SS claptons that they are offering, if you think any of these would work better...
  • SS Fused Clapton
    • 1.00 Ohms per Foot
    • 26ga*2 (=) +30ga
  • SS Flat Clapton (never used a flap clapton)
    • 0.73 Ohms per Foot
    • 26ga*18ga+32ga
  • SS Clapton Wire
    • 1.86 Ohms per Foot
    • 26ga+30ga
Another reason I wanted to buy a spool (besides the seemingly useless coils included with those 7-in-1 kits) is the CSMNT RDA seems to favor coils that are a little longer than the standard of those packs. I didn't want to have to stretch the legs super far or space the coils (usually only use spaced for my RTA). You will have to forgive my ignorance, but I don't know how to properly put those wire stats into any of the coil building apps online. Do any of those specs stand out to you guys for being able to accommodate 6 wraps, 3mm, and still stay around the .16-.11 range?

Last edited:

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I'm really liking the looks of the Advanced vape wire. I love how they have the ohms broken down into charts. I might try them. Although that $5 Nudge RDA deal on DNA is also pulling me toward DNA the Vandy Vape wire lol.

Carmmond

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for you responses. I should have menthttps://www.advancedvapesupply.com/collections/spooled-ss-prebuilt-wire 'fancy' coils. I'm definitely a tinkerer so that's inevitable. But I'd like to find a reliable product that will bridge the gap to me making my own coils. And I'll check out some of the links to other wire. I would be nice to find some that are actually made in the US.

The specs on the Vandy Vape SS staggered fused clapton are below. They do appear to be using thicker gauge wires for the build.

SS Staggered Fused Clapton
  • 0.85 Ohms per Foot
  • (26ga + 32ga)*2+32ga
And here are the other SS claptons that they are offering, if you think any of these would work better...
  • SS Fused Clapton
    • 1.00 Ohms per Foot
    • 26ga*2 (=) +30ga
  • SS Flat Clapton (never used a flap clapton)
    • 0.73 Ohms per Foot
    • 26ga*18ga+32ga
  • SS Clapton Wire
    • 1.86 Ohms per Foot
    • 26ga+30ga
Another reason I wanted to buy a spool (besides the seemingly useless coils included with those 7-in-1 kits) is the CSMNT RDA seems to favor coils that are a little longer than the standard of those packs. I didn't want to have to stretch the legs super far or space the coils (usually only use spaced for my RTA). You will have to forgive my ignorance, but I don't know how to properly put those wire stats into any of the coil building apps online. Do any of those specs stand out to you guys for being able to accommodate 6 wraps, 3mm, and still stay around the .16-.11 range?

If you look at the bottom of Advanced Vape Supplies home page they state they’re using USA made wire.

Carmmond

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I'm really liking the looks of the Advanced vape wire. I love how they have the ohms broken down into charts. I might try them. Although that $5 Nudge RDA deal on DNA is also pulling me toward DNA the Vandy Vape wire lol.
Well because I'm telling people about this wire I thought I would try it out so I know what I'm talking about.... make my own but they have a 30% off sale now so just had to give it a go. I will let you all know what I think about it but like I said lots of forum members are happy so I'm sure it's good. Besides I cant find 26awg SS430 and they have it I have been using 28awg and love it.

SADman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will second AdvancedVapeSupply.com.

When I first started using SS, I found them and will continue to use them. Have not had any issues so far.

Any of the big named branded coils are most likely going to be coming from China, so if where its made matters to you, then make sure its clearly stated.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
A+ for AdvancedVapeSupply.com

It's clean and what they say it is - and they are more than willing to help you out if you need assistance

Been using them exclusively for over a year - well worth it

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A+ for AdvancedVapeSupply.com

It's clean and what they say it is - and they are more than willing to help you out if you need assistance

Been using them exclusively for over a year - well worth it
I’m going to order from them. What do you recommend?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I’m going to order from them. What do you recommend?

All the various Clapton wire I've tried from them has been flawless - personally do not use staples, aliens, etc - but have heard zero complaints from folks who bought that type of wire or premade coils from AVS :)

SADman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Depends on what you are looking for.

Pre-built coils? Pre-built wire? Flavor? Clouds?

Everything is a bit subjective, have you tried pre-built coils before? What did you find works best for you so far?

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All the various Clapton wire I've tried from them has been flawless - personally do not use staples, aliens, etc - but have heard zero complaints from folks who bought that type of wire or premade coils from AVS :)
Thank you

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends on what you are looking for.

Pre-built coils? Pre-built wire? Flavor? Clouds?

Everything is a bit subjective, have you tried pre-built coils before? What did you find works best for you so far?
I’ve never used stainless before only n80. I usually use claptons and vape around 45 Watts. So I’ll probably look for fused Clapton’s that come in around 26 ohms with 5/6 wraps for premades and buy a spoil of clapton wire to make my own. I just wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations.

SADman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’ve never used stainless before only n80. I usually use claptons and vape around 45 Watts. So I’ll probably look for fused Clapton’s that come in around 26 ohms with 5/6 wraps for premades and buy a spoil of clapton wire to make my own. I just wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations.

I do like their Triple Core and Quad Core Clapton's with regards to the above.

As a bit of something worth trying, if you want, I do like their Vertebraid as well.

Edit: I'm assuming that was a typo and you meant 0.26 ohm, not 26

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another one saying you can't go wrong with AVS. I use them almost exclusively. Ship fast and never had any issues with their products. I prefer their quad core fused claptons.

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do like their Triple Core and Quad Core Clapton's with regards to the above.

As a bit of something worth trying, if you want, I do like their Vertebraid as well.

Edit: I'm assuming that was a typo and you meant 0.26 ohm, not 26
Yes I meant .26. Thanks for your opinion. I was looking at the vertebraids today too. I think I’ll get a sample pack of all three - vertebraids, triple and quad core Clapton’s

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, I thought I had replied to this thread with an update but I guess I forgot.

Anyway, I ordered some 28X3/36 tricore fused claptons. 6 wraps at 3mm worked perfectly on the CSMNT, I didn't have the stretch the legs at all. So far I've been very satisfied with the wire. It appears to be top-notch quality, perfectly wrapped and super clean. It was pretty easy to work out hotspots and get them glowing evenly. It's producing decent flavor, but I expect that to improve as I get accustom to working with the new wire and building on my new CSMNT. I haven't tried it in TC yet though. I can update about that if anyone is interested.

Advanced Vape seems to be a good company too. I had to email them to clarify somethings and even asked for their suggestions on wires. They were quick to respond and seemed very knowledgeable about their products. I'm going to be using this wire for awhile because I bought a whole spool since it was on sale at that time. But I don't see me going anywhere else in the future for premade wire.

I appreciate everyone's help with making my decision, you guys steered me in the right direction for sure!

VU Sponsors