Become a Patron!

Opinions on YouTubers?

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Why does it seem that the general consensus that any vaping YouTuber with a considerable amount of followers is nothing but a sponsored tool or a money chasing personality that really contributes nothing to the vaping community? Of course "Crip slippers" is a prime example of this, and after that rap video he did I intentionally skip over his videos. But I've heard and seen the same comments about twisted420, Anthony Vapes, heathen, and countless others.

What are your guys thoughts? Are there any YouTubers/reviewers that you tend to keep up with? And at the same time, are there any that you intentionally avoid?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Generally, I only look at a youtube review if I am curious about a something and want to see it in action or a close look at the deck, internals, etc

Sometimes I will also look at a review if I already own something and have a problem with it, lol

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Why does it seem that the general consensus that any vaping YouTuber with a considerable amount of followers is nothing but a sponsored tool or a money chasing personality that really contributes nothing to the vaping community? Of course "Crip slippers" is a prime example of this, and after that rap video he did I intentionally skip over his videos. But I've heard and seen the same comments about twisted420, Anthony Vapes, heathen, and countless others.

What are your guys thoughts? Are there any YouTubers/reviewers that you tend to keep up with? And at the same time, are there any that you intentionally avoid?

And also I know for a fact that China company's offer money in exchange for a good reviews. I myself have been offered money many times with always telling them NO because it is just wrong to do a bias review, with further telling them a good honest reviewer will do a unbiased review for you for free.

Also reviewers like free shit, and if you do not give a positive review with most of these China vendors they will no longer send you free shit to review.

I believe this all started with AMAZON reviews, most of the reviews on Amazon are a bunch of lying crap. Never trust them. I was offered money to change a review to positive from negative with telling the vendor too kiss my ass plus I post added what he asked me to do, and AMAZON took my review down.

I have never taken a penny to do a review, only the product on hand for reviewing. Back in the day my reviews were for awareness of vaping since there was only a hand full of vapers in each state, But I did monetize my You Tube channel to earn some extra cash which they 1099 you at the end of the year, and now days most vaping gear is rejected to monetize since not suitable for most advertising You Tube sponsors.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I watch a few of them: however only for factual information.
When I started a few years back I watched busardo only for the oscope results. I wanted to see the frequency they fired at, since the mods that had a lower frequency had an output that bugged me.
Since everyone has gone to a dc-dc signal; and, I've gone to mostly mechmods I don't see a reason to watch many.
I will; however, watch some IF, I'm curious about some things based on technical specs only.
I ignore descriptions like (the flavor is great! It's got huge clouds)
I want to know, the size of the airflow ports, location in respect to coil placement, shape of the chamber and measurements.
I can tell from that information, if it's something I will enjoy or not.
I also tend to only watch reviews by people who seem to vape the same way that I do.
If someone drags on or talks about their personal life, has a deal with a mfg for endorsement, or is more about publicity than the product they are reviewing I don't want to watch them at all, no matter what information they are sharing.
I guess with all that said... No, I don't have e much time for Youtube, but j would be liar to say I don't watch it at all.
I can think of 2 or 3 reviewers left that I can actually respect anyway

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
occasionally.......Mark Todd and Damien from a "bloody good vape"....I'm not chasing gear so there isn't much point in it.....

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Well I admit that some I watch for the giveaways. There are a lot of times where my brain says "gotta have it" and my wallet says "no you don't". I'd say that twisted has a giveaway in like 90%of his videos, and he's funny and informative so I def follow him. As kalifas mentioned, I trust Anthony Vapes.

Smokie, are you THE smokie on YouTube? The disgruntled old fart?. If so, I used to watch your videos way back in the day (I think 2008/2009ish).

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why does it seem that the general consensus that any vaping YouTuber with a considerable amount of followers is nothing but a sponsored tool or a money chasing personality that really contributes nothing to the vaping community?

That's because they are. Youtube reviewers are professional astroturfers - marketers disguised as genuine vape enthusiasts talking about the gear they like. These days, the market is so saturated with samey-samey mods and atomizers, the reviewers all review the same shit at the same time, and they all come to the same conclusions, it's becoming pretty glaring that they're just shills paid by Chinese makers and by Google.

But I don't agree that they contribute nothing to the vaping community: mute the sound, skip the talking head bits in their videos, and you'll have fantastic closeups of the products you're looking into buying for free. That's worth something! I can't count the number of devices that initially interested me, that I eventually discounted after seeing this or that feature I didn't like up close on one of the many Youtube "reviews". Their videos kind of did the reverse of what their Chinese masters expected they would on me :)

Last edited:

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
most reviews I just watch for the tech specs, which is why I like djlsb vapes. but some I watch for the personality, like grimm green, and vaping bogan. you have take what they say with a grain of salt, we all like different things, and vape differently.
if you don't like crap slappers watch this guy.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Half the reviewers spend 5 to 10 minutes opening the box and reading what is written on it many times with irrelevant info like a color of a different device. One guy smacks his lips and swallows so often during the videos with bad audio and echos I can't even watch. Although there is a small amount who actually do a review that demonstrates the products the bad apples has ruined the video reviews for me. Fast forward is the answer.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Generally, I only look at a youtube review if I am curious about a something and want to see it in action or a close look at the deck, internals, etc

Sometimes I will also look at a review if I already own something and have a problem with it, lol

This is pretty much what I limit myself to, and always watch with the sound off. :D

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I cant stand most of them. I am envious of all the free stuff they get lol. Some of them dont have a bad thing to say about anything. Most of the ones Ive seen are "everythings awesome" guys. Yes men to their chinese overloards.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't "follow" any of 'em; for the most part, I avoid vape videos like the veriest plague, except sometimes the funny ones. :D I will occasionally view videos if I'm in the market for a particular item and want to know about its pros/cons before spending money, or, if I have some kind of issue with whatever it is, I might search up a video or two also. The only "vape guy" I'm watched more than one of his videos, is Busardo. He can be a bit long-winded, and go into technical detail that seems completely irrelevant to me, but he's very thorough, has a terrific knowledge of vape hardware, and is a rather engaging personality -- very low-key, but a good sense of humor.

Andria

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really enjoy indoor smokers and mike vapes..twisted420,vapinfagan,etc are cool too..Somedays I can't hack a Rip Trippers vid and sometimes it's not so bad. Im sure it's dependent on my mood as he's the same jack ass everytime lol I respect them all though. I started a channel for ejuice reviews and I can see how challenging it is to get it going. In all honesty, the work it takes to keep that up and the money to initially invest is not for the faint of heart. It didn't take long to figure out I'm not built for that. Those guys are lucky yes but they also WORK..I just do the sh*t for fun. I say Kudos to them all. They're doing their thing and getting PAID. And a lot of them are a lot of fun..I don't watch as much as I used to but Im glad they're around, to each his own. There is a personality for everyone.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only "vape guy" I'm watched more than one of his videos, is Busardo. He can be a bit long-winded, and go into technical detail that seems completely irrelevant to me, but he's very thorough, has a terrific knowledge of vape hardware, and is a rather engaging personality -- very low-key, but a good sense of humor.

Phil Busardo is a pompous ass who thinks he was the first vape reviewer on Youtube, and that he single-handedly helped half of the planet quit smoking.

Also, he and his fake greek friend got free plane tickets to China to visit vape companies - a job-well-done bonus no doubt - and all they managed to do was behave like crass American tourists there.

As for impartiality, he's so openly buddy-buddy with the Evolv people it's almost nauseating.

I have little sympathy for the guy. Well, maybe a little more now that he's all washed out and completely out of it. Maybe he himself got disgusted by the behavior of all the other reviewers, who are even worse than he is.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To each their own I suppose like anything, movies, tv shows etc. I tend to avoid the ones I find annoying and those who basically do just an unboxing and 'love' everything that hits their desk. Rip Trippers falls into that category. I like that Phil Busardo and Daniel at djlsbvapes go deeper into the product with testing various things, whether it's mods, wick performance etc. Same with Anthony and the testing he's done looking at actual mod performance.

Jai Haze cracks me the fuck up with his antics and even though he doesn't get all technical with things he seems to really go in depth from a user's perspective. How does a mod feel, is it cheap feeling, is it awkward, do the menu's suck ass etc. Chris at indoorsmokers cracks me up with his antics as well but he rarely has anything negative to say so it's a real basic look at anything - like 'here's a car, it has four wheels and starts when you turn the key - check it out'.

Grimm's ok and so is vaping bogan, but half their vids are typically concentrating on craft beer and stuff which doesn't interest me.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've given up on reviewers, they are to scared to give their true view on a product.
I'd rather speak to people on the forums am get first hand recommendations off people who've used the mod for longer than two weeks. That way they will be able to say if it's a reliable product.
When I got my most recent setup I didn't get it after watching "this mod is amazing" reviewers who say they've used the same mod for two weeks straight cos they are likely to release a review two days later an say the same thing. What the fuck?! They've either used the same mod or haven't

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewers showed themselves for what they truly are with the Wismec Predator: all of them said it was a great mod, flawless, a great buy and yada-yada. Then real users who paid real money for that turd of a mod quickly noticed the 510 socket was a complete disaster, and half of the reviewers awkwardly backpedaled and started overdoing the oh-I'm-so-shocked act to try and hide their initial plugs. And don't think they quit doing it: they're so shameless they're still at it today, plugging obviously poor products right and left.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most of the time I buy the products I want before they get reviewed by anyone. But I like watching Ohmboy Josh's videos a lot, despite I don't always agree with his opinions... I really just like what he does and how he does it, and, no doubt he has the most sympathetic personality among video reviewers I have ever seen, AND, he knows how to build a fucking coil.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewers showed themselves for what they truly are with the Wismec Predator: all of them said it was a great mod, flawless, a great buy and yada-yada. Then real users who paid real money for that turd of a mod quickly noticed the 510 socket was a complete disaster, and half of the reviewers awkwardly backpedaled and started overdoing the oh-I'm-so-shocked act to try and hide their initial plugs. And don't think they quit doing it: they're so shameless they're still at it today, plugging obviously poor products right and left.
Yet they still get followers, I couldn't believe it when Daniel at djlsb vapes called the alien his favourite mod of the year. I've had two replacements this year an the one I'm using now reads resistance way off. A 0.15 coil can read at like 0.139 one minute the jump to another resistance. Even everyone's favourite tech reviewer chats shit!!

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I like a few of the smaller guys without tons of followers. It's a dead giveaway when they treat every single thing they they review like it's the best thing ever. Jai and bogan are definitely entertaining, I like Geekay, he gives his honest opinion. Someone here said it best before, reviews are for getting good close up shots of gear.

One thing I can't stand is when the screenshot of the video is them making some goofy-ass face, (like every one of rips) makes me want to beat the beard off of his face.

But whoever the reviewer, unless they are completely honest and they have the exact same vaping style as you, their opinions mean jack shit.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do watch reviews to get an idea on how something is built or what the internals of an rda/rta look like. I make my own opinions based on quality of companies and what happens in the months flowing release. I hardly ever buy into the opinions of paid off reviewers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I watch YouTube videos when I'm interested in any vape product and tend to watch The Vaping Bogan the most. His videos are informative and fun to watch. I also like how he opens up a new beer with every new video. Kudos to him!

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
It is great watching a review on a new product you may be interested in buying but there are a lot of times a few reviewers will say the product is great, and turns out to be a piece of crap.

And here is another Big Issue, a MFG wants reviews NOW! on a brand new product they are going to release with sending out to 75 reviewers asking to do the review within a weeks time because they are going to release this product to say 5000 vendors and they each will buy 25 units or more, BIG BUCKS I TELL YA!.

The reviewer only has the product for under a week with giving it thumbs up in the review, now what happens down the road say 2 to 6 months when the door magnets fall out, the 510 connector sinks in, the usb port fails, or the board itself gives faulty readings?

A reviewer should use the product for a month at least before reviewing, now I do not blame them, I blame the MFG for the rush to make $$$

This industry has turned into a money grabber with no longer caring about anyone. We use to have a very tight caring community back in 2008, to 2012

14355736_10206991593857927_9012652734442768878_n.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
pure evil
pure-evil-pride-20ml-e-liquid-p1052-5728_image.jpg

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To each their own I suppose like anything, movies, tv shows etc. I tend to avoid the ones I find annoying and those who basically do just an unboxing and 'love' everything that hits their desk. Rip Trippers falls into that category. I like that Phil Busardo and Daniel at djlsbvapes go deeper into the product with testing various things, whether it's mods, wick performance etc. Same with Anthony and the testing he's done looking at actual mod performance.

Jai Haze cracks me the fuck up with his antics and even though he doesn't get all technical with things he seems to really go in depth from a user's perspective. How does a mod feel, is it cheap feeling, is it awkward, do the menu's suck ass etc. Chris at indoorsmokers cracks me up with his antics as well but he rarely has anything negative to say so it's a real basic look at anything - like 'here's a car, it has four wheels and starts when you turn the key - check it out'.

Grimm's ok and so is vaping bogan, but half their vids are typically concentrating on craft beer and stuff which doesn't interest me.
yeah I like jai haze too. first time I saw one of his videos I was like, "oh shit, Vince Vaughn does vaping videos?"

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
most reviews I just watch for the tech specs, which is why I like djlsb vapes. but some I watch for the personality, like grimm green, and vaping bogan. you have take what they say with a grain of salt, we all like different things, and vape differently.
if you don't like crap slappers watch this guy.

That Tip Rippers guy is funny.
That's really Kurt, the owner of CCI (Cloud Chasers Inc.)
They had this huge beef when Rip asked Kurt for a percentage of his entire company's sales for Rip showing and talking about CCI stuff in his videos.
So in other words if Rip was reviewing an RDA he'd be like "OK, I've got this new "insert name here" RDA sitting on top of this awesome CCI parallel mech box, let's see how she vapes"
Something like that.
The CCI dude told Rip to fuck off and Tip Rippers was born :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That Tip Rippers guy is funny.
That's really Kurt, the owner of CCI (Cloud Chasers Inc.)
They had this huge beef when Rip asked Kurt for a percentage of his entire company's sales for Rip showing and talking about CCI stuff in his videos.
So in other words if Rip was reviewing an RDA he'd be like "OK, I've got this new "insert name here" RDA sitting on top of this awesome CCI parallel mech box, let's see how she vapes"
Something like that.
The CCI dude told Rip to fuck off and Tip Rippers was born :)
That whole thing makes me so happy.
Awesome to see someone tell a money grubber where he can shove it.
Makes me want to buy more cci gear

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
That whole thing makes me so happy.
Awesome to see someone tell a money grubber where he can shove it.
Makes me want to buy more cci gear
He use to make a fortune on his monetized videos but You Tube has done away with most due to not sponsor friendly. But sure he is making money from the MFG's plus they send him shit loads of product, cases.

Attachments

• Capture.JPGjjyujutyjt.JPG
    Capture.JPGjjyujutyjt.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 20

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
He use to make a fortune on his monetized videos but You Tube has done away with most due to not sponsor friendly. But sure he is making money from the MFG's plus they send him shit loads of product, cases.
I can't help but wonder if the new 'patreon' movement that the reviewers are going to won't result in more money.
Not to mention, some of them are making money in 'designing' gear for some of the china companies.

BAM crew

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This industry has turned into a money grabber with no longer caring about anyone. We use to have a very tight caring community back in 2008, to 2012

Damn right you are. But then it's like that with most fledgling communities: when I got interested in computer programming in the 70s, it was a fun community of phreaks, hackers (in the original sense of the word), tinkerers and inspired kids. Then it quickly became all about the money and it wasn't so fun anymore.

What's so disgusting with the vape reviewers is, they masquerade as members of a caring community who want to help others quit smoking, when all they really care about is lining their pockets and inflating their egos. Dry knuckles anyone?

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
These guys are pumping out reviews so fast, I doubt they are spending anytime with the products. So problems that materialize after a few days is being missed.
I have to live with my stuff for months.

But I watch them as a form of marketing agent. To provide me with information on a product. I do watch how they build on rtas/rdas as a guide. But their opinion are irrelevant to me.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to mention, some of them are making money in 'designing' gear for some of the china companies.

They don't design anything. Most of them don't know what design is, unlike the Chinese... What they do is sell their names, just like Michael Jordan when you buy Nike shoes. That's why I'll never buy a Pharao RDA (don't wanna give my money to Rip Trippers) or a Serpent SMM (don't wanna give my money to Suck My Mod), and I VERY reluctantly bought several Pulse22 RDA's (don't wanna give my money to Vapor Trail either, but the damn RDA really is worth buying, sadly).

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Jai Haze's review of the Vgod elite mod if funny as hell.
Yes he is funny, but Honest in his reviews, and very rarely gets shit for free, he buys it.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I can't help but wonder if the new 'patreon' movement that the reviewers are going to won't result in more money.

BAM crew
Since most are not making as much from You Tube any longer more will take from the MFG for reviews.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
They don't design anything. Most of them don't know what design is, unlike the Chinese... What they do is sell their names, just like Michael Jordan when you buy Nike shoes. That's why I'll never buy a Pharao RDA (don't wanna give my money to Rip Trippers) or a Serpent SMM (don't wanna give my money to Suck My Mod), and I VERY reluctantly bought several Pulse22 RDA's (don't wanna give my money to Vapor Trail either, but the damn RDA really is worth buying, sadly).
Oh I know, that's why I put design in quotes. Lol
Thus far, I haven't bought anything endorsed like a Michael Jordan shoe

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
the few reviews i have done altho poorly IMHO i spent at least 2 weeks or more with the item and spent my money getting them. a friend asked me to make them videos so she can listen to my voice :D

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's amusing when the reviewer, who is obviously compensated by the manufacturer with either money or free product, gives all of his/her positives and then give a ridiculous negative, just to seem impartial. I am not a regular viewer of any one person on YT, but instead I search for a product occasionally and watch one or two "reviews." Phil B seems fairly trustworthy. Indoorsmokers, who is 100% geared for vaping newbies and has smoked so much xxxxxx that most of his cognitive functions are gone, is pretty entertaining sometimes.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also find it very unappealing to see someone vape in vape review videos on YT. I guess most people love it or something. Maybe it's the goofy look they have as they star into the camera, sucking their mod for 5 seconds.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also find it very unappealing to see someone vape in vape review videos on YT. I guess most people love it or something. Maybe it's the goofy look they have as they star into the camera, sucking their mod for 5 seconds.

This exactly. I'm aware that the thing vapes, that's what I want it for -- I DO NOT need to watch someone vape it. If they want to have a hit while the camera isn't on their face, fine, it's not professional at all, but I don't care, I know already they're not a pro broadcaster... but watching someone else vape is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Andria

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's amusing when the reviewer, who is obviously compensated by the manufacturer with either money or free product, gives all of his/her positives and then give a ridiculous negative, just to seem impartial. I am not a regular viewer of any one person on YT, but instead I search for a product occasionally and watch one or two "reviews." Phil B seems fairly trustworthy. Indoorsmokers, who is 100% geared for vaping newbies and has smoked so much xxxxxx that most of his cognitive functions are gone, is pretty entertaining sometimes.
He points with his hands like he's a gangsta haha. I find him funny

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I think it's mostly for the cloud chasers, to show them how big of a cloud the thing makes.

One thing I like about Vaping With Vic (aside from his accent) is that he puts stuff like this in the text, so you can just skip to what you're interested in.

1:40 ◄ Unboxing
3:04 ◄ Oumier Wasp Nano RDA
4:58 ◄ The Deck
6:34 ◄ Coiling
9:25 ◄ Wicking
11:28 ◄ Thoughts

VU Sponsors