Become a Patron!

optimal gauge for kayfun

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What's the best kanthal gauge wire to use on a Kay fun lite. Is thinner wire going to heat up faster? I'm making regular micro coils. Should I go with a nano coil. Thanks

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What's the best kanthal gauge wire to use on a Kay fun lite. Is thinner wire going to heat up faster? I'm making regular micro coils. Should I go with a nano coil. Thanks
It really depends on your desired ohms and diameter of coil. I like mine at 1.2, I find it to be the perfect sweet spot for heat and flavor. I used to wrap tiny 1/16th bits with 30 gauge, and 6 wraps achieved that resistance. I found it super difficult to properly wick without choking it at that small of a coil, so I've now stepped up to I believe a 5/64th bit, and 28 gauge with 6 wraps. The 6 wraps is key IMO. When I first increased my coil diameter with 30 gauge I could only do 4 wraps, and I felt there wasn't adequate surface area.

So, I suppose I'm saying 28 gauge, and a larger coil makes life easier for me at least. It's also way easier to work with 28 gauge, as you can abuse it a bit more when wicking, and it doesn't shift as much. It does take a bit longer to heat up in my experience, but the difference is negligible.

6 wraps on the larger bit with 30 will get you around 1.5-1.6, so if you like that as many do, 30 might be your style. I just can't emphasize enough, that at least for me, a larger diameter coil solved a lot of my problems. I only vape on kayfuns, and I still was constantly fucking up my wicking with a tiny micro coil. Kanthal is cheap, can't hurt to experiment. Hope that helps, and good luck!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I use a 6/7 wrap on a #6 nail with good results. 1.6 ohms with 32 gauge Kanthal

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I use a 6/7 wrap on a #6 nail with good results. 1.6 ohms with 32 gauge Kanthal
Man, 32 gauge kanthal has to be hard to work with. Does it shift really easy?

I also finally started torching my kanthal prior to building, and it makes a world of difference. Wish I'd been doing it all along.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Man, 32 gauge kanthal has to be hard to work with. Does it shift really easy?

I also finally started torching my kanthal prior to building, and it makes a world of difference. Wish I'd been doing it all along.

I normally apply the flame from a Bic lighter to the wire until it glows red for a moment before wrapping it into a coil to remove the "Spring" from it. Then it is easy to work with.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I normally apply the flame from a Bic lighter to the wire until it glows red for a moment before wrapping it into a coil to remove the "Spring" from it. Then it is easy to work with.
That's my technique as well, and I never did it until I started using 28 gauge. I oughta make a build with some 30 and do that, see if it makes it more workable.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like to do 7 wraps of .28g Kanthal around a mystery bit that is a tad larger than 1/16th, reads in between 1.15-1.20 ohms.

30jl544.jpg

I don't use regulated mods anymore, so on a mechanical, it seems to be the optimal resistance for me.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like to do 7 wraps of .28g Kanthal around a mystery bit that is a tad larger than 1/16th, reads in between 1.15-1.20 ohms.

30jl544.jpg

I don't use regulated mods anymore, so on a mechanical, it seems to be the optimal resistance for me.
I use mechs solely, too. And it seems we like the same resistance. I'm addicted to kayfuns... I just ordered two more of the Artemus black edition v3's last night. I got two last week, in addition to my v2 + by EHPRO, and my plain original KFL by LSK. I only use kayfuns, and those blacks are sooooo nice, so now my regular KFL can live at home. It likes to leak fairly easily, the original design doesn't seal well at the chimney. Six kayfuns doesn't mean I have a problem, right? Lol. I think it's not so unreasonable to have six attys.

@jsr27 , did you ever get you're build down?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Six sounds eminently reasonable. 'Course I have seven Kayfuns counting the HC and Mini. Thirteen or so total (for now) not counting the drippers. I tend to build the tanks at around 1.3, 28 gauge, for a decent balance between my mechs and regulated mods.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Six sounds eminently reasonable. 'Course I have six Kayfuns counting the HC and Mini. Thirteen or so total (for now) not counting the drippers. I tend to build the tanks at around 1.3, 28 gauge, for a decent balance between my mechs and regulated mods.
Thank you for helping me justify my purchase, lol. I do need to stop now, I'm set on batteries, mods and all. Just need to buy juice for a bit. I'm also extremely talented at cracking kayfun windows, but they're 2.99 at the B&M, so I keep a couple spares.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with 28gauge.. I use 7 wraps at 1.1-1.2 ohms with rayon. Gives a great vape and the coil lasts at least 2-3 weeks

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for helping me justify my purchase, lol. I do need to stop now, I'm set on batteries, mods and all. Just need to buy juice for a bit. I'm also extremely talented at cracking kayfun windows, but they're 2.99 at the B&M, so I keep a couple spares.
Buy some quartz tanks at fasttech or some other retailer. 28 Gauge is optimal for the Kayfuns

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Buy some quartz tanks at fasttech or some other retailer. 28 Gauge is optimal for the Kayfuns
Yeah, I've had my eye on em, I just don't like that they seal with gaskets only. Still, worth a try at fasttech prices.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think 28 gauge is the perfect gauge for just about all builds , thats what i like the most anyway.

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've got a double barrel shotgun build (dual coil, parallel) on my KFL+, 12 wraps of 30 gauge Kanthal A1 with a 1.5mm inner diameter (which I think is about the same as a 1/16" bit). That gets me down to 1Ω, and gets incredible flavor and decent amount of vapor. My last build was the same, except it was 10 wraps of 28 gauge A1 on a 1mm (which is 3/64"?). It was down to 0.5Ω and had insane flavor and vapor, but the DNA30 didn't like it at times (has a limit of 0.5Ω).

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Since the OP didn't state what power supply he's using, it's hard to say what would work best for him. 28g works really well on my DNA 30 device, but doesn't perform as well on the MVP. If power isn't a concern, I prefer 28g. My current build in an ehpro kayfun 3.1 is this:
28g 9wrap on 7/64 bit 1.8ohm cotton wick 100%vg at 17.5w
I use the larger coil so the wick can keep up. I can chain vape that setup with all vg and it just runs. Flavor, warmth and vapor is spot on for me.

VU Sponsors