Become a Patron!

Options for enclosures.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I am looking to gather parts for a DNA40 mod and I'm wondering what the options are beyond the Hammond project boxes. Seems like there are a lot more options for the extruded enclosures with removable plates on the ends rather than the back. Are these viable? Mostly wondering how to handle an 18650 inserted up through the bottom since the normal sleds obviously wouldn't work. Not this one necessarily but this style.

$_12.JPG

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nobody? Should this be in the mod producers section? Producer made me think it was for industry folks.

tnumbers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It looks solid to me. You could mount a fatdaddyvapes 510 on it, drill some holes for the buttons, usb, and screen. The only concern would be swapping out the battery. Unless your just going to make it a permanently installed battery.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It looks solid to me. You could mount a fatdaddyvapes 510 on it, drill some holes for the buttons, usb, and screen. The only concern would be swapping out the battery. Unless your just going to make it a permanently installed battery.
Right that was my question.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wouldn't be to bad With a Lipo battery but If you are wanting to use an 18650, you would need to mount them so you could pull the cradle out to change them. There are a couple mod makers that are making similar boxes to these out of wood that use push connector. They have a cradle that slide into the "shell".

He is Todd talking about one

tnumbers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would just heatshrink the whole battery with the positive wires and negatives connecting to the battery, and jam it inside the box. But thats me.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
They should make battery sleds with a screw on cap like the vapor flask or a mech. I guess I could just stick an old mech tube in there.

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You could probably get a small sheet of aluminum/steel at home depot or hobby lobby and make a plate to go in the rails on the sides of that box that slides in and out... Cut the center out of the plate and mount a battery sled in it...

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Seems like there are a lot more options for the extruded enclosures with removable plates on the ends rather than the back. Are these viable? Mostly wondering how to handle an 18650 inserted up through the bottom since the normal sleds obviously wouldn't work. Not this one necessarily but this style.

And why won't the normal sleds work? Just add some leads long enough to slide the sled outta the bottom.

Last edited:

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Any why won't the normal sleds work? Just add some leads long enough to slide the sled outta the bottom.
I guess they would. I didn't know moders did that. I would think it would stress the solder joints.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The bigest issue would be battery "rattle". You want the sleds secyred to the enclosure or they are going to rattle around during use. Then you have to worry about the contacting/ rubbing on your chip and buttons.

ManaBase

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i agree battery rattle would be a bit of a dick to deal with but theres no problem that cant be hacked.

it would most likely depend on the enclosure but using that extruded one for example i would 3d print a custom sled that held 2 18650's and slid all the way out so you could change batteries easily and they would remain secure. they would have to be connected with some longer wires as that box looks like it has some room to spare. it would force the buttons screen and 510 to one side of the mod but im sure it would work.

spisifically that box you can see it has the extruded ridge i would maybe even design the whole fucking mod. battery tray to sit in those grooves with the only wires that are long are the ones that go up to the 510. so you could pop the bottom cover off "magnets" slide the tray out swap batterys slide it back in.

upon second thought magnets wouldnt work unless you engineered a locking latch for the sled inside the mod.

if you link me to the actual store and i can snag some dimensions and maybe give you another idea or two

really may you can use any box that all the shit fits in

VU Sponsors