Orchid build question

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So long story short. Sig 100+ will be in Monday. I've got a bunch of 24 ga laying around. I'm looking to get a build around .36 or so. With a 2.4 Id that puts me at 9 or so wraps. Will it fit? I'm at work right now and trying to decide on a game plan for when I get home at 1am.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So long story short. Sig 100+ will be in Monday. I've got a bunch of 24 ga laying around. I'm looking to get a build around .36 or so. With a 2.4 Id that puts me at 9 or so wraps. Will it fit? I'm at work right now and trying to decide on a game plan for when I get home at 1am.
Should, but you'll have to put them high and tight. Take a look at @franciscan's "Mickey Mouse Ears" build thread.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and be sure to test for shorts with the chamber on before firing it on a mech mod!

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah , that's what I was going to base the build off of, the mouse. Guess I'll give it a shot tonight and wait for the Sig to test out. Thanks!

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah , that's what I was going to base the build off of, the mouse. Guess I'll give it a shot tonight and wait for the Sig to test out. Thanks!
Noticed that he recently had to put up new pictures and the current ones are not nearly as high as they used to be. I normally have the bottom of my coils sitting pretty close to even with the top of the posts. That gives me enough room to pull in the coils towards the center as I need to keep them from touching the chamber. Still trying to figure out exactly what size coil I prefer. Been trying out 1.6 with the cotton about half way down the channels and so far it seems to be working pretty well.
Looking at the new Orchid v6 though. The one that does not have the all glass tank has a two piece chamber/chimney like a Kayfun.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009514/2028209-orchid-v6-style-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer

Might have to make it my first fasttech buy...

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2.4mm coil, 8 wraps 25g will get you to 0.38 ~ 0.39 ohms and that's my favorite build. You need to get the coil close to the wall to fit or Mickey Mouse it but I fit that same coil flat in my orchid every rebuild. You can get 9 wraps of 24g too but the 25g is a great balance of sturdy low ohm wire but with a little quicker heat up and cool down.

Last edited:

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
2.4mm coil, 8 wraps 25g will get you to 3.8 ~ 3.9 ohms and that's my favorite build. You need to get the coil close to the wall to fit or Mickey Mouse it but I fit that same coil flat in my orchid every rebuild. You can get 9 wraps of 24g too but the 25g is a great balance of sturdy low ohm wire but with a little quicker heat up and cool down.

Aah! I used up that 25! Is in my other orchid!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is my go to wire and resistance right now. Since I got a VW device even my CLT2 is running 25g @ 0.45 and still keeping up with the air flow. Actually, the hobo and every other one is 25g now that I think of it.
Shoulda sent more, if I knew it would be that on for an orchid/mechanical (4 me) I would have but I got it that day I sent it so hadn't taken it for a test drive yet :cool:

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
2.4mm coil, 8 wraps 25g will get you to 3.8 ~ 3.9 ohms and that's my favorite build. You need to get the coil close to the wall to fit or Mickey Mouse it but I fit that same coil flat in my orchid every rebuild. You can get 9 wraps of 24g too but the 25g is a great balance of sturdy low ohm wire but with a little quicker heat up and cool down.
Did you mean .38 to .39?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My bad... yeah... 0.38 ~... corrected.
yeah, I saw those original numbers and said WTF? I know he's been around long enough not to say something like that LOL

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That is my go to wire and resistance right now. Since I got a VW device even my CLT2 is running 25g @ 0.45 and still keeping up with the air flow. Actually, the hobo and every other one is 25g now that I think of it.
Shoulda sent more, if I knew it would be that on for an orchid/mechanical (4 me) I would have but I got it that day I sent it so hadn't taken it for a test drive yet :cool:
Hey that's alright. You were super generous. Going to buy a roll when I remember to.

VU Sponsors