Become a Patron!

orchid flavor.. meh

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
I have an orchid clone that works without issue... took a bit to get a feel for build and filling.. but now no issues.. it vapes well.. doesn't leak.. and has great airflow.. so I am pretty pleased with it.. especially for 15 bucks.. here is the issue.. I made a couple different coil setups.. the firs was dual coil tight and small.. on 26ga wire.. less than impressed it seamed like it just didnt really make vapor well... so I went in a totally different direction.. 30 ga wire with really loose spread out coils.. so now the vapor is there without issue.. the thing is performing in a satisfactory way.. but the flavor is not on par with kayfun builds.. I like the airy draw of the orchid.. but I am missing the flavor of the kayfun.. this is all on a vaporshark rdna 30..

help me out.. lol

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
24 gauge works best imo. Or 22 if you want to vape more complex and sweet dessert flavors. Still, orchid dont beat my Big Buddha on flavor.

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
This is making me nuts.. I just rebuilt with 26ga .6 ohms dual coil.. Vapor is great.. Flavor.. Still not so much.. Just tons of marginally flavored vape.. Same juice in kayfun.. Tastes delicious... What the hell..

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is making me nuts.. I just rebuilt with 26ga .6 ohms dual coil.. Vapor is great.. Flavor.. Still not so much.. Just tons of marginally flavored vape.. Same juice in kayfun.. Tastes delicious... What the hell..
Make a chimney coil with 26 Gauge. I do that on my Lemo's and it really does boost the flavor.

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
I just don't understand.. If you have two similar coils... And one setup is dual... I would expect more flavor... It's not a wicking issue because no burnt flavor... So juice is getting to the wick.. It's being heated... But the orchid troll is stealing the flavor somewhere in the middle...

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Make a chimney coil with 26 Gauge. I do that on my Lemo's and it really does boost the flavor.
^^^this
Like so
caf8bdabce2eae4b7ed933149fb57409.jpg

285d1e0cd8b8db47cbba55801062f61f.jpg

The base may look huge due to the Kfat conversion..
e19993c7fbcd8bf0d8295da5b04f2cb0.jpg

Wicking is pretty easy just wrap around the outside of the coil and back over itself so your tails end up directly over the juice holes.
I start my wick at the back-
be90b1157adfd0ce56816af89773faf2.jpg

Ends up like this-
80108e5f2c8e66c464bd6f1a4d878f6d.jpg

Edit: I do tuck the tails in before I place the chimney... In this pic they're kind of hanging out still.

I've done this same build with twisted 28 awg, and the flavor is even more pronounced.

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
Well maybe I can learn something... I'm normally like a 1ohm coil guy.. But that is single coil.. So since this is dual coil it ended up really low.. Is it normal to run low ohm builds at high wattage??

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I just received one in the mail.

After destroying the package to get into it, I gave it a good bath in hot soapy water, rinsed, dried and built the sucker.

Took me a bit as this was my first time and it came without any instructions and it took a bit to figure out what to do with the wick but I installed two 30 gauge coils which came out to 0.8 ohms. I got it filled (first time leaked) but the second time I got it right.

TONS of flavor and vapor at 25 watts on my Sigelei 100 watt mod. Now I am watching it to see how quick it goes through the E-Liquid.

And I imagine it will be better with the next build

Now I just need to order a quartz tank kit for the sucker.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well maybe I can learn something... I'm normally like a 1ohm coil guy.. But that is single coil.. So since this is dual coil it ended up really low.. Is it normal to run low ohm builds at high wattage??
Yep, the lower the ohms, the more power it takes to heat up the coils. The advantage is that the coils heat up very, very fast at low Ohms.

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
So since I'm on a DNa 30 the solution might be to come up a hair in resistance to allow me to come down a little in wattage..

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That chimney build looks great. I'm gonna try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dud3r

Member For 4 Years
So since I'm on a DNa 30 the solution might be to come up a hair in resistance to allow me to come down a little in wattage..

I'd go for something in the . 8-1 Ohm range. Both of mine are set up with 10 wraps of 28 gauge per coil. I wrap around one of those little blue handled screwdrivers that come with everything. That should put you right at .8.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
I have just about given up on this thing.. sometimes vapes well.. sometimes leaks all over the place.. I am just over fighting it...

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try quads. Works amazingly well.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dripping, wide open airflow.
Not a mouth to lunger, that is for stinky suckers and people who use tanks with limited draw.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah. Well in that case quads on a drilled orchid might be just your thing. Flavor is immense, clouds are thick and i can take one second lung inhales with this. I encourage everyone to give it a try.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dude I learned from kayfuns, a fogger and this that tanks are not my thing.
Why on god's green acre would I waste time fucking around with something not my style for an even bigger chance of something even more not my style?
All that is going to do is wreck a mod, waste my time, my drill bits and my wire to further piss me off.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dude I learned from kayfuns, a fogger and this that tanks are not my thing.
Why on god's green acre would I waste time fucking around with something not my style for an even bigger chance of something even more not my style?
All that is going to do is wreck a mod, waste my time, my drill bits and my wire to further piss me off.
Okay then. That escalated rather quickly. Why are you commenting in the first place if this is not your thing? Go to a thread that is your thing?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay then. That escalated rather quickly. Why are you commenting in the first place if this is not your thing? Go to a thread that is your thing?
Easy because a peanut gallery comment about "oh just do this, this and this and this to mod this it will be your thing". stupid ECF mentality there.
Simple tricks to get it to passable useable flavor, ya suggest away.
but to sit and tell me I need to bore out something to get it passable for your style of vaping is just short sighted and pointed that out to you.
If you have to heavily modify something to get passable results then it maybe more worth your time to find something that works correctly the first time.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There is no possible way for this convesation to end in a positive way, so i stop right here. But just to clear things out, i wasn't even replying to you in the first place...

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There is no possible way for this convesation to end in a positive way, so i stop right here. But just to clear things out, i wasn't even replying to you in the first place...
the flavor is not a airflow issue this, the chimney/chamber is. That is the restriction point. A cheaper non perma solution is swap out the chimney.
Instead of attacking it with power tools.

sohkis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
tumblr_m5fbe6Pcbg1qcb58yo1_500.gif

haha, had to..

I don't seem to have a flavor issue w/my orchid, in fact i think it produces great flavor as well as vapor.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, so does mine. Especially with quads, drilled airflow and stock chimney.

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, so does mine. Especially with quads, drilled airflow and stock chimney.
I think you've inspired me to try quads on my orchid. Any recommendations on gauge, wraps etc? I just switched from 24awg six wrap duals, ( .24-.26ohms generally), to 26awg dual parallel 8 wrap on a 2.4mm, ( .2ish) and the flavor is pretty great. I'm always up to try something new and enjoy a challenge.
9339c41913162d01b1e1b852c5ddb97a.jpg

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think you've inspired me to try quads on my orchid. Any recommendations on gauge, wraps etc? I just switched from 24awg six wrap duals, ( .24-.26ohms generally), to 26awg dual parallel 8 wrap on a 2.4mm, ( .2ish) and the flavor is pretty great. I'm always up to try something new and enjoy a challenge.
9339c41913162d01b1e1b852c5ddb97a.jpg
I did mine 27 gauge, bot quads and zipper coils :) zipper is better suited for mechs and quads for regulated, super tasty around 50w. Couple pics:
uploadfromtaptalk1421591940365.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1421591940365.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421591956309.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421591956309.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 7

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Easy because a peanut gallery comment about "oh just do this, this and this and this to mod this it will be your thing". stupid ECF mentality there.
Simple tricks to get it to passable useable flavor, ya suggest away.
but to sit and tell me I need to bore out something to get it passable for your style of vaping is just short sighted and pointed that out to you.
If you have to heavily modify something to get passable results then it maybe more worth your time to find something that works correctly the first time.

So someone starts a thread asking for help/ideas for an orchid.
Multiple people that have used the orchid for a while post their thoughts.
You say these people have a stupid ecf mentality? Sounds like ecf isn't that bad of a place.

You offered nothing to this thread other than trying to start a fight... but it's the rest of the peanut gallery that has the ecf mentality, not you right?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Op, sounds like you have a regulated device, that makes the trial & error a little easier. Try different wattage settings along with the different coil resistances and styles. Take a little bit of a session to try multiple ideas that have been given and don't fill your tank till you find something that is getting the flavor you want. Just drip a couple drops down the chimney every few toots to keep the wicks wet while you give it a go. That way you are not dumping a tank when you decide that resistance isn't for you and you want to wrap a different set of coils.

You can even try single coil on the orchid if one of the air holes has threads in it for a grub screw to plug up one side.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the height of the coil off the deck has an effect too. I like the coil close to the air hole... not so close to the deck it cooks the insulator when dry firing, but close.
That's not for you? Try the opposite, raised Mickey Mouse ear build.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Op, sounds like you have a regulated device, that makes the trial & error a little easier. Try different wattage settings along with the different coil resistances and styles. Take a little bit of a session to try multiple ideas that have been given and don't fill your tank till you find something that is getting the flavor you want. Just drip a couple drops down the chimney every few toots to keep the wicks wet while you give it a go. That way you are not dumping a tank when you decide that resistance isn't for you and you want to wrap a different set of coils.

You can even try single coil on the orchid if one of the air holes has threads in it for a grub screw to plug up one side.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the height of the coil off the deck has an effect too. I like the coil close to the air hole... not so close to the deck is cooks the insulator when dry firing, but close.
That's not for you? Try the opposite, raised Mickey Mouse ear build.
I think a ton has to depend on the source of the device.
Fried insulator is very easy to achieve if the deck is not big enough to get an actual build in there, mine happened to be about a palm hair larger than a kayfun build deck, added with the short chamber equals shortville.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have just about given up on this thing.. sometimes vapes well.. sometimes leaks all over the place.. I am just over fighting it...

If you are getting leaks and bottom filling you don't have a good seal somewhere. I tighten the shit out of the top and base so there is no lost vacuum. Does the chimney start to unthread when you take the tank off from a real tight oring seal on the pipe? If not try a fresh or different oring to get a real tight seal there.

When you fill it from the bottom, do it somewhat slow so juice doesn't get forced in the juice channels. Don't fill 100% to the top, leave some air in there to get a vacuum.

Really, the only way for a orchid or kayfun or any of the others that use the same principle will not leak if it's all sealed up... and not sitting on it's side.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think a ton has to depend on the source of the device.
Fried insulator is very easy to achieve if the deck is not big enough to get an actual build in there, mine happened to be about a palm hair larger than a kayfun build deck, added with the short chamber equals shortville.

Yep, it's a tight build area compared to a dripper. I build 2.5mm coils without any issues but i have used the orchid since it was released so i am very familiar with it and comfortable squeezing that size coil in there without touching the chimney or the posts and I don't raise it. I would think a good percentage of people build 2mm coils since it leaves a lot more room in there but the 2.5 has more wick to keep up with a low resistance build.

Hairy palms huh? Lol :eek:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep, it's a tight build area compared to a dripper. I build 2.5mm coils without any issues but i have used the orchid since it was released so i am very familiar with it and comfortable squeezing that size coil in there without touching the chimney or the posts and I don't raise it. I would think a good percentage of people build 2mm coils since it leaves a lot more room in there but the 2.5 has more wick to keep up with a low resistance build.
I did my last build in it two nights ago, still super frustrated doing it... I hate wasting wires.
The 22mm orchid is super tight,again depending on the vendor.
The one huge wtf is the one piece chimney.. come one 2014 design with 2009 ideas of blind builds is just ugh.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally agree but now you can get a 2 piece from FT for $2.28
https://www.fasttech.com/products/2034900
Great for inspecting your build before buttoning it up and also pushing the wick tails back down to the deck once the chimney has been threaded on and pulled the trailing side wick tails up... which you wouldn't know is happening with a 1 piece chimney.

Wasting wire? That's what... <$0.10 per build? I don't mind burning through some wire to find a build that gives me the most satisfaction from my atomizer.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just not a tank user, I might revisit them one I get a regulated I like and can approach a tank with tinkering in mind.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I want to see how you're placing your coils, and wicking.

Low flavor tells me that your coils aren't low enough over the air channels (they should be damn low)

Flooding tells me your wicking isn't pillowed over the juice channels correctly. Post some pics of your build, and how you wick it, so we can help better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
I really do appreciate the help.. but I am pretty much over this thing.. I picked up my first RDA and built a very simple dual coil 26g .6 setup.. and the thing is amazing in every way.. I may look into something I can build dual coil on with a tank.. but I am just fed up with this clone.. I genuinely appreciate the help.. but its just not worth the aggravation.. I feel like the flush air flow hole just makes no sense to me.. there is just so much potential for leaking.. this is just not the tank for me.. my Lemo has been great.. if I could just get something like that with a bigger deck and chimney for dual coil I would be all in...

VU Sponsors