Become a Patron!

ORCHID MODIFICATION THREAD

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love the Orchid. Tastes and breathes like a small dual coil dripper but with the convenience, mobility and put-togetherness of a Kayfun. Versions 1, 2, 3 and 4 all share the same core goodness with various improvements, and some non-improvements. (Would not say the same for the feature castrated, single air vent 28mm version.) I have been visiting various threads where Orchids are discussed, but thought it would be good to start one for any and all Orchid modifications and issues.

Please post what your are doing with yours!

IMG_0060.JPG

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Addressing the limited juice capacity is at the top of my list. I have ordered a couple of Taifun GT Nano tanks to increase the juice capacity using the stock chamber/chimney. But until they come in, I decided to modify the stock chamber/chimney to get as much capacity using the stock tank as possible. The stock chimney extends about 4 mm past the o-ring seal in the top cap. While I will need that extra 4 mm when I attach the Taifun GT Nano tank, it's not needed with the stock tank. So I shortened the chamber 4 mm by grinding off material from the bottom.

p9231525-edit-jpg.6179

The internal threads of the shortened chamber bottom out when screwed down, leaving about a 1 mm gap with the base. So I do not get the full 4 mm of extra capacity. However, I do get three improvements: A bit extra juice capacity (not a full ml, but every little bit helps); a chamber that tightens down firmly and cannot be unintentionally reversed when unscrewing the top cap; and juice channels shortened by about half. Now the juice only has to flow about 2 mm before hitting the wick.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Modified Orchid chamber/chimneys. Ready for bigger tanks!

p9261538-edit-jpg.6356

Left (same as post #2): Shortened, fits 25mm stock tank and Kayfun Nano tank.

Stock (not shown, see post #2): Fits 25mm stock tank and 30mm Taifun GT Nano tank.

Middle: Extended, fits 35mm stock Kayfun tank and 40mm stock Taifun GT tank.

Right: Replaced chimney, long enough to fit 55mm Kayfun Extra Long M-Tank, 56mm three-part tank (2 stock Orchid plus one Kayfun middle tank), 68mm three-part tank (2 Taifun GT Nano plus one Kayfun middle tank), or a 70mm+ custom made tank I have in mind using the Kayfun thread rings from the quartz tank and a single piece of polycarbonate tube (stay tuned).

The one on the right uses a Kayfun Mini Long chimney (came with the kit but I will never use that mode) attached to a stock Orchid chamber with the chimney removed. It is press fit with a bit of epoxy for sealing. It's not finished because I'm waiting for the epoxy to fully cure before removing the excess and giving the whole thing a clean up. Won't cut the chimney to size until I decide whether I'll use it for the 56 or 68mm three-part tanks mentioned above or a the 70mm custom job. Excessive, I know, but I'm kinda curious whether such tall ones will function as well as the shorter ones.

So far I have used the one on the left with a stock tank and the middle one with a stock Kayfun PC tank. Both work great. Waiting for the other tanks etc. to come in. I have no need to purchase the 55mm Kayfun Extra Long M-tank, which is overpriced, when the 56 or 68mm three-part tanks will just be a matter of assembling about $4 worth of FT parts.

Last edited:

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would think that with a much larger capacity you would need to tighten up the juice channels somehow, seeing as how you are putting a lot more pressure downward as opposed to a stock chimney/tank. Maybe more wick or something, not sure how to explain that.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would think that with a much larger capacity you would need to tighten up the juice channels somehow, seeing as how you are putting a lot more pressure downward as opposed to a stock chimney/tank. Maybe more wick or something, not sure how to explain that.

Will see if the vacuum seal works as it's supposed to with that much capacity. Apparently the Kayfun Extra Long M-Tank works great, so why not?

kayfun-long-tank-fmj.jpg

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haven't used one so I have no comment :) but yeah, I see your point. My only issue would be that the orchid has double the juice channels and more airflow, which also means less backpressure against the juice's down pressure.

Or its possible I am just over thinking this lol

Modified Orchid chamber/chimneys. Ready for bigger tanks!

p9261538-edit-jpg.6356

Left (same as first post): Sortened, fits 25mm stock tank and Kayfun Nano tank.
Stock (not shown, see first post): Fits 25mm stock tank and 30mm Taifun GT Nano tank.
Middle: Extended, fits 35mm stock Kayfun tank and 40mm stock Taifun GT tank.
Right: Replaced chimney, long enough to fit 55mm Kayfun Extra Long M-Tank, 60mm three-part tank (2 stock Orchid plus one Kayfun middle tank), up to a 70mm tank, which I will have to make custom.

The one on the right uses a Kayfun Mini Long chimney, which comes with the kit but I will never use it that way, attached to a stock Orchid chamber with the chimney removed. It is press fit with a bit of epoxy for sealing. It's not finished because I'm waiting for the epoxy to fully cure before removing the excess and giving the whole thing a clean up. Won't cut the chimney to size until I decide whether I'll use it for the 60mm three-part tank mentioned above or a longer custom job. Excessive, I know, but I'm kinda curious whether such tall ones will function as well as the shorter ones.

So far I have used the one on the left with a stock tank and the middle one with a stock Kayfun PC tank. Both work great. Waiting for the other tanks etc. to come in. I have no intention to purchase the 55mm Kayfun Extra Long M-tank, which is overpriced, when the 60mm three-part tank will just be a matter of assembling about $4 worth of FT parts.

What did you use as an adapter to attach the chimney extension of the middle one in the picture?? (i assume this is the one you use with the Kayfun full size tank correct?) Very nice looking work btw. I'm still waiting to receive my top fill kayfun cap and my prototype extendo chimney back from my machinist friend.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What did you use as an adapter to attach the chimney extension of the middle one in the picture?? (i assume this is the one you use with the Kayfun full size tank correct?) Very nice looking work btw. I'm still waiting to receive my top fill kayfun cap and my prototype extendo chimney back from my machinist friend.

Made it out of an aluminum drip tip. Drilled it out, filed it down and finished it on a drill press. The upper section of tube is the chimney I removed from the one on the right.

Made it out of an aluminum drip tip. Drilled it out, filed it down and finished it on a drill press. The upper section of tube is the chimney I removed from the one on the right.
And i suppose you can drill out the stock chimney and tap it so the kayfun chimney top section can thread right in, possibly countersink a divot for an o-ring to prevent any possibility of juice leak into the chamber. This allows for soooo many options of tank kits.
Side note, maybe reduce the length of the threads as to not interfere with your build clearance

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And i suppose you can drill out the stock chimney and tap it so the kayfun chimney top section can thread right in, possibly countersink a divot for an o-ring to prevent any possibility of juice leak into the chamber. This allows for soooo many options of tank kits.
Side note, maybe reduce the length of the threads as to not interfere with your build clearance

The wall thickness at the top of the Orchid chamber is ~1mm. Little room for tapping or o-ring. That's why I press fit and epoxy sealed. I did cut down the chimney threads, but it's not necessary. The Orchid has plenty of clearance above the build area.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Short" mode ;) with the Kayfun Mini long chimney and Kayfun PC top cap.

P9271542 edit.jpg

56mm long tank assembly, over 10ml capacity and lighter than stock. (Too bad I lost my Kayfun PMMA drip tip.) Working great. Very airy. Slightly cooler vapor with the tall chimney.

More to come. "Long" mode is looking to be ~20ml max. capacity. Waiting for parts to assemble it.

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saw this hybrid coil in the coil thread and thought I'd give it a try. I usually don't go below 0.6 or 0.55 at the lowest with a regular micro coil but this hybrid coil can deliver a vape about the same temp as a 0.8 build and it's at 0.44 after firing the coils and positioning them.
1/2 tank so far, better flavor than a 0.6 build with more vape production. 26g on a 3/32 bit.

20140928_085650.jpg

Added close up, first run at it. The last coil by the positive post wants to pull away when tightening... gotta work on that but it works phenomenally.
Update: holy shit! This build rocks. Chain vaped through a full tank now and I have to say better flavor than even a 0.8 micro with of course more vape production. Got a big stupid grim from ear to ear :D

9/29
Tried a variation on the coil and brought it up to 0.5 on the nose.
... later the next day... meh, I like the 0.44 coil better.
2014-09-30100514.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-09-28 09.24.53.jpg
    2014-09-28 09.24.53.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saw this hybrid coil in the coil thread and thought I'd give it a try. I usually don't go below 0.6 or 0.55 at the lowest with a regular micro coil but this hybrid coil can deliver a vape about the same temp as a 0.8 build and it's at 0.44 after firing the coils and positioning them.
1/2 tank so far, better flavor than a 0.6 build with more vape production. 26g on a 3/32 bit.

20140928_085650.jpg

20140928_090120.jpg

Added close up, first run at it. The last coil by the positive post wants to pull away when tightening... gotta work on that but it works phenomenally.
Update: holy shit! This build rocks. Chain vaped through a full tank now and I have to say better flavor than even a 0.8 micro with of course more vape production. Got a big stupid grim from ear to ear :D

Very nice build @fq06. Looks like a whole lotta juice is getting to those coils with bigger ID, gauge and spaced out wraps. I've been wondering lately whether my micro/mini coils with their very tight spacing are maybe not getting the most out of the juice in the wick. Your build makes good sense to me.

A_Wild_Yeap_Appears!

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Newbie with questions here. If I order an orchid v2 off of fasttech, what glass tank options do I have? I'd rather not crack a tank, and I'd love options for more juice capacity.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The nano tank at fasttech should fit, check in the discussions on that parts page, I'm sure someone on FT has tried it.

You may also be able to get the full glass tank to fit, there are a few options above in post 3, looks like the taifun gt nano will fit the stock chimney and give you a little more juice. Then modding it will give you ludicrous capacity as seen in post 17 :eek:

They are $5 so pick up both and use USPS First-Class ePacket via China Post.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/3023/10009156/1756802-kayfun-quartz-tank-nano-kit
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1797302-kayfun-quartz-tank-kit
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009514/1850901-orchid-v2-styled-rebuildable-tank-atomizer-2-5-3

It's not that big of a deal though to fill it, remove a screw, squeeze and replace screw. No leaking, no tricks to it. Most juices don't crack tanks, cinnamon and a couple others that I don't vape and can't remember crack tanks.
Personally I like a stubby look over a long atty, but everyone has their own taste ;)

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Newbie with questions here. If I order an orchid v2 off of fasttech, what glass tank options do I have? I'd rather not crack a tank, and I'd love options for more juice capacity.

Some bad reports from FT reviewers on using Kayfun quartz nano/full tanks on the Orchid. Problem is clearance between Orchid chamber OD and ID of the tank's lower metal ring: only 1mm total. I got my quartz tank in today and will try it out. I'm sure I can make it work (same problem existed with my Tobeco Kayfun Mini) but don't know whether or what modification might be necessary. Will post when I know.

Last edited:

A_Wild_Yeap_Appears!

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, damn about the quartz. I'm still on ego batteries and a mini nautilus. But I won a stingray x clone in a contest. No idea when it will get here though. So I've got a bit of time to find a cheap tank and dripper. Orchid has been highly recommended, but I've been eyeing the rose v2.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quartz is nice but not necessary. Maybe if you vape pluid or one of those tank cracker juices then you need a quartz tank. I have never cracked a tank but I don't vape liquorice or red hots candy or other super strong flavors that crack tanks.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some bad reports on using Kayfun quartz nano/full tanks on the Orchid. Problem is clearance between Orchid chamber OD and ID of the tank's lower metal ring: only 1mm total. I got my quartz tank in today and will try it out. I'm sure I can make it work (same problem existed with my Tobeco Kayfun Mini) but don't know whether or what modification might be necessary. Will post when I know.

Just tried Kayfun quartz nano tank, @A_Wild_Yeap_Appears! Could not even top fill on the V1. Same clearance issue mentioned above, except on both top and bottom tank rings. Also ridiculously limited capacity. Not worth trying to fix. Still think I can make the Kayfun quartz full tank work, but it hasn't come in yet.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Long mode with the Kayfun Mini long chimney and Kayfun PC top cap.

PA031626 edit.jpg

70mm long tank assembly. This is more or less the maximum using the Kayfun Mini long chimney. I left myself a bit extra chimney length in case I need to shorten the chamber at the bottom to increase juice flow. Working normally so far. Will see how it works at various fill levels. Over 15ml capacity and still weighs less than the stock Orchid.

Top and bottom tank rings are from a Kayfun Quartz nano tank, unmodified except to replace the silicone o-rings with standard Buna-N rubber 15mm ID, 18mm OD, which seals better and holds the tank much more firmly. The tube is polycarbonate stock 7/8" OD, 3/4" ID. I was surprised that the ID fit perfectly on the tank rings. All in all, this was very easy to make, and I like the clean look of it.

Extreme, I know. Obviously for home use only. Luckily we have high ceilings. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Orchid Lite for the road, improved.

PA041665 edit.jpg

Same as post #28 except Orchid is fit with Taifun GT nano tank and top cap. The tank holds 1.5ml more than stock, and though it is 5mm longer, the low profile Taifun GT top cap more than compensates. Assembled, the two together are 6-7mm shorter than the stock tank with Kayfun or Orchid top cap. So, smaller and lighter but holding 1.5ml more juice. My favorite Orchid setup for the road, so far.

You have to make an adapter to mate the Taifun GT top cap with the chimney, however. This one is made of plastic. Next one will be aluminum, which is much easier to work with. You don't have to use the Taifun GT top cap though. A Kayfun or Orchid top cap will work without modification. I just really like how short the Taifun top cap is, and really hate the stock Orchid top cap. Too heavy and a waste of space!

Last edited:

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey i know this is random, but I've been lurking around in the orchid modification thread, and i saw that you used a kayfun mini chimney. This doesn't really pertain to the orchid, but i was wondering if you knew if the mini kayfun extended chimney fits a regular size kayfun chimney base base? I've been looking for the answer for some time but cant find it. Also thanks for the orchid thread, TONS of good info there. Thanks - Alex
No, Kayfun Mini chimney has a smaller dia. and threads. There is an extended Kayfun chimney though. Search online. I gotta go to work now...

BTW, if you post this question openly on Orchid Modification thread it would help other people. :)

Just gonna leave this here, Thanks again:)

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lol.........the only thing I don't like about the iLeaf is that it won't subohm. I'm running my orchid at .7 so it wouldn't work with it.

I hear you. The iStick is a neat compact mod, but my dual coil Orchids are my favorite atties now and they dictate the mod, not the other way around. :p (to iStick not you)

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Orchid Lite for the road, improved.

You have to make an adapter to mate the top cap with the chimney, however. This one is made of plastic. Next one will be aluminum, which is much easier to work with.

What do you mean make an adapter? Where did you get the parts from? Very interested in that whole clear look and holding more juice. Really liking my Orchid over everything else including drippers.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do you mean make an adapter? Where did you get the parts from? Very interested in that whole clear look and holding more juice. Really liking my Orchid over everything else including drippers.

Yeah, Orchid is great, right? You only need to make an adapter if you use the Taifun GT top cap. You can use a Taifun GT Nano tank with a Kayfun clear top cap like in post #28 without modification (except put your Orchid o-ring into it).

If you really want to modify the Taifun GT top cap to work I will take pics. Can't now, at work.

Last edited:

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@TheWestPole How would you say the draw is on the orchid? Maybe in comparison to say a Veritas or Magma? Im on the rails right now on getting one and its a huge deciding factor for me. Thanks bud

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@TheWestPole How would you say the draw is on the orchid? Maybe in comparison to say a Veritas or Magma? Im on the rails right now on getting one and its a huge deciding factor for me. Thanks bud

Very open draw + dual coils is the Orchid's thing. (Read post #1 in this thread.) I'm all about the lung hits and Orchid is the first fully satisfying RTA for me. It is the only one I have not drilled out to increase air flow. Each coil has its own independent 2mm+ vent. If you want to get exact about comparing the draw with Veritas or Magma without trying them side by side, compare the total area of the vent openings (pi x radius squared x number of vents). Orchid's total is ~7.5 sq. mm or ~.012 sq. in.

Do you have the Veritas and Magma to measure? If not, all I can say is the Orchid is ridiculously inexpensive and worth trying IMO for anybody into open draw and serious lung hits. Second choice for me would be a genesis style like the AGA T series, because they are easy to drill out to whatever draw you want.

V2s are now $8.66 and in stock at FT. I have several from there and they are all good. http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009514/1850901-orchid-v2-styled-rebuildable-tank-atomizer-2-5-3 If you are impatient I have a couple V1s (no bottom fill port) I would be willing to part with. Got something for trade?

Last edited:

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very open draw + dual coils is the Orchid's thing. (Read post #1 in this thread.) I'm all about the lung hits and Orchid is the first fully satisfying RTA for me. It is the only one I have not drilled out to increase air flow. Each coil has its own independent 2mm+ vent. If you want to get exact about comparing the draw with Veritas or Magma without trying them side by side, compare the total open area of the vents (pi x radius squared x number of vents). Orchid's total is ~7.5 sq. mm or ~.012 sq. in.

Do you have the Veritas and Magma to measure? If not, all I can say is the Orchid is ridiculously inexpensive and worth trying IMO for anybody into open draw and serious lung hits. Second choice for me would be a genesis style like the AGA T series, because they are easy to drill out to whatever draw you want.

V2s are now $8.66 and in stock at FT. I have several from there and they are all good. http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009514/1850901-orchid-v2-styled-rebuildable-tank-atomizer-2-5-3 If you are inpatient I have some V1s (no bottom fill port) I would be willing to part with. Got something for trade?
I do have both the magma on veritas, unfortunately I'm at work so I can't measure :p but to be honest as long a lung hits are possible and fairly non restrictive I'm in lol. I definitely appreciate the trade offer but I'll probably buy one. I'm kinda like you I can leave things alone. I have to tinker and modify, so I try to keep everything I already have just in cause I have a use for a random part. But thanks for replying man, in the basket it goes!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3 vs ver 4
Looks like the ticket IMHO.....
$_14.JPG

V3 has no functional improvements over V2, just style changes. V4 improves functionally in tank size only, which is definite progress because it gets you into the world of full size Kayfun tank parts. Personally I don't like the style and weight (!!!) of either. But if I were a new buyer looking for the simplest way into Orchid I'd go for the V4. Orchid blows through the juice and the nano size tank is just too small IMO.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors