Become a Patron!

ORCHID MODIFICATION THREAD

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not to be a lazy turd, but has anyone here experimented w/ an Orchid mini? I tried hunting through this thread a bit but I haven't had any luck.

I am curious what kind of top cap / tanks are viable with it? I know that the chimney is huge and therefore won't accept most kayfun chimneys but are there any other options via FT?

From what I've gathered, you can use a Nano m-tank with it.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't tried another tank yet but the nano m looks like the right height.
No other top caps that I've seen with the bigger opening for the bigger chimney.

That mini rocks, haven't bought another orchid since i got it months ago.

Open up the air flow holes and wick channels and it is tuned well to the air flow.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to be a lazy turd, but has anyone here experimented w/ an Orchid mini? I tried hunting through this thread a bit but I haven't had any luck.

I am curious what kind of top cap / tanks are viable with it? I know that the chimney is huge and therefore won't accept most kayfun chimneys but are there any other options via FT?

From what I've gathered, you can use a Nano m-tank with it.
I haven't tried another tank yet but the nano m looks like the right height.
No other top caps that I've seen with the bigger opening for the bigger chimney.

That mini rocks, haven't bought another orchid since i got it months ago.

Open up the air flow holes and wick channels and it is tuned well to the air flow.

@Bryan Miller, you didn't say what you wanted to do, but unfortunately @fq06's info is up to date: that chimney and top cap are specific to the Mini, and they never followed up with further models or parts. Too bad, they should have. Put that chimney aside and you can make any other threaded tank Orchid out of it (V3, V4, etc.) and customize it like you can with those.

Last edited:

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@Bryan Miller, you didn't say what you wanted to do, but unfortunately @fq06's info is up to date: that chimney and top cap are specific to the Mini, and they never followed up with further models or parts. Too bad, they should have. Put that chimney aside and you can make any other threaded tank Orchid out of it (V3, V4, etc.) and customize it like you can with those.
I have 3 custom orchids, kf4 chamber, bell caps, modded air / juice channels / drip tips. I was particularly looking for other top caps and tanks that work with the mini aside from the KF nano tank. I guess that's it huh?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The stock mini tank is just a regular V1 orchid tank. Can't go taller but you may be able to go shorter by a little allowing the chimney to push further up into the top cap. If you want, dremel cut a bit off the top of that chimney to slam a nano on it.
There's not much capacity as is with that fat chimney in there though.

If you do get the mini, do yourself a favor and pick up a friction DT that I linked to a few posts up. Actually, if you get anything from FT, throw a couple of those $1.30 bad boys in the cart.

With that mini, if you dont open the air flow holes up and use a high flow tip, you are choking off that chimneys potential.

Last edited:

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Laziness alert!
What is the largest I can go with Orchid airflow, referring to the bit size?
Also what kind of bit is best for this kind of modding? I've been using titanium for rdas and such.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Start out with 2.5mm, then see if you need to go larger. 2.8mm is the largest you should go, anything bigger wont make a difference because of the small chimney.

@TheWestPole did i get it right? ;)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
7/64 is it. If it's not a bit intended to cut into metal it will get chewed up before you get through the 1st hole so use lots of oil, cut slow and keep your fingers crossed... or get a carbide bit :D

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
7/64 is it. If it's not a bit intended to cut into metal it will get chewed up before you get through the 1st hole so use lots of oil, cut slow and keep your fingers crossed... or get a carbide bit :D
It's titanium.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used a carbide bit and it swims through the metal of the v4 base.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess titanium is a harder metal, 1 way to find out if it holds up :)
I've used titanium bits for rdas, but nothing so deep. Going to use a ton on oil and take my time

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Recently picked up a Tobeco Orchid v4 and was pretty surprised at the flavor and clouds despite the restrictive mouth to lung draw from it.

Im guessing the 2 stock air flow holes are 2mm each?.. and the stock chimney is 3.78mm ?..So if this is the case ,the larger diameter of the kayfun v4 chimney should be an improvement to air flow with no other changes being that the kayfunv4 chimney is 4.06mm in diameter?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A few in this thread use the kf4 chimney, it's all preference but to me, more flow, mo betta :D

Drill out those air flow holes in the deck and the party really gets started :cool:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally different chimney size so not unless you drill out the bell cap I guess.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll probably just keep it simple on this one at first....Not looking for huge air flow really on this tank...the flavor is incredible and i want to keep that without having to go up on power to match alot more air flow...I have a quite a few drip tips to use with it ranging from very small all the way through to very wide all the way through.

Im using a 90/10 diy juice with this and i think i found a wick set up thats actually handling that with no dry hits..If i chain vape like 6 or 7 hits consecutive then i can tell im about to get a dry hit but its working great so far.

Just want a tad bit more air flow with it..Maybe at most go to 2.25 mm air flow holes and bore out the chimney to 4.5mm.

This tank certainly put my kayfun lite + back in the box.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is kind of the mother of the sub ohm tanks and still is one of the 3 toppers in my daily rotation.
Agree, works great as is and does work great with a higher build like 0.6 with stock airflow.

A little digging at the juice wells with a dremel works wonders on keeping the wicks wet.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im running a .7 with it as my first use and i was blown away taste wise and surprised at the amount of vapor from such little air flow...Im using a Marquis RDA in my rotation...if i can get the air flow to match that (using the back 2 holes) and keep flavor, ill have found my dream tank for the most part in regards to a daily out and about tank.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I may dremel out the juice wells if i have a wicking issue with it...with it working on 90/10 right now though im not sure why i would need to...I take a few hits and set it down for 10 minutes or so, so it has plenty of time to re saturate before i use it again.

I save the rda's for chain vaping..lol

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing to look out for... the one downside to it is if you leave it on it's side it most likely will go from dream tank to empty tank.

I do chain vape it when I'm at work on a vape break, but if it's workin, dont need to fix it ;)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, with the kayfun v4 chimney and bell cap what can i expect capacity wise?.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok..so i suppose this is my first official mod to a orchid...I had a taifun with a nano tank and added the tank to the orchid...i couldnt use the nano top as the chimney is built into it but the stock orchid cap works on it just fine...the chimney sticks up a little higher than stock but with a wide enough drip tip its not an issue....the stock drip tip wouldnt work unless you forcefully pushed it down and essentially press fitted the drip tip to the chimney which i didnt care to do..so i used a wider bore vapelyfe brass drip tip...Yay..im not an orchid virgin anymore...lol
1438564981313.jpg

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wow almost half the capacity lost?...i suppose ill be refilling more often..lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just tried a full size smoked taifun tank..seems a little too long even for the stock orchid v4 chimney...sigh...would've been some nice added capacity.

Just placed an order for an orchid v4 in stainless from FT and have a used kayfun v4 in black coming to me as well...Plan to use the chimney and top cap from the kayfun to go with the black base of the orchid i have now with a black bell cap....Also have a used stainless steel orchid v6 coming to me to play with.

I think im going to enjoy this Orchid band wagon.:cool:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think i went a bit crazy ordering from fasttech in the last 3 nights...as well as finding another used orchid.

Clear kf bell cap
Black kf bell cap
Smoked orchid v4 (full size tank)
New Orchid v4 rta (stainless steel version)
New Silver play rta
Kayfun v4 chimney
Orchid 2 piece V6 chimney
Pack of o rings ( to allow fitment of v6 chimney to v4 cap.
3 drip tips (2 wide bore derringer style/Stainless steel).
30pc diamond bit grinding set

Plus more but ,not related to the subject at hand.

Looks like i will have a few variations to build and enjoy.:rolleyes:

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think i went a bit crazy ordering from fasttech in the last 3 nights...as well as finding another used orchid.

Clear kf bell cap
Black kf bell cap
Smoked orchid v4 (full size tank)
New Orchid v4 rta (stainless steel version)
New Silver play rta
Kayfun v4 chimney
Orchid 2 piece V6 chimney
Pack of o rings ( to allow fitment of v6 chimney to v4 cap.
3 drip tips (2 wide bore derringer style/Stainless steel).
30pc diamond bit grinding set

Plus more but ,not related to the subject at hand.

Looks like i will have a few variations to build and enjoy.:rolleyes:
Post pictures when you get done building your custom Orchids.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Received my used kayfun v4 and took a draw off it..Meh, its whatever air flow wise..Took the chimney off it and put it on the orchid listed above in the first pic...Even though the inner diameter is larger (3.78mm vs 4.06mm) i cant tell a huge difference installed on the orchid base with air flow over the stock v4 chimney but a slight noticeable one none the less....still has remarkable flavor and maybe a little bit more clouds indicating more air flow i suppose....the drip tip is off the used orchid v6 i received as well...has the pmma bottom to help avoid the heat transfer to the drip tip...Hoping to see a more prominent improvement with air flow on a drilled out base with 2.4mm air flow holes...Waiting for mr. postman before this can happen....for now this is my set up.

Tobeco Orchid v4 base and top cap (no mods)
Tobeco Kayfun V4 chimney (no mods)
Fasttech Taifun GT nano tank
Orchid v6 drip tip.
.70 ohm dual coil (28g 8 wrap on a 2.5mm i.d)..25 watts
An excellent slow and chilled out lung hitter...amazing flavor and decent clouds.
1439006227824.jpg

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Playing with the Orchid v6 now...i can tell despite the larger chimney it has less air flow due to the little steel inserts going inside the top air flow holes..First order of business is taking those out to get back to normal orchid air flow or so i thought...It seems there is a lip on the inside of the hole where the pin seats...So doing a comparison of the two i personally dont feel the v6 has as much air draw as the v4 does despite the much larger diameter chimney.

Out of the box performance has to go to the V4 unless capacity is a big concern for you then you would want the v6...The v6 does have dual air flow control using two little allen screws at the bottom of the base..( mine is missing those little screws)...The only issue i see with not having the screws or something to block the holes off are if it leaks, it will leak directly into your 510 and not off the side like normal...Ill either be trying to find allen screws that fit or, blocking it off on the bottom completely.

Overall its still a great vape with the same great flavor and decent clouds with more juice capacity...With some drilling and that nice big wide chimney it should be a treat to vape on.

Pins removed and showing lip inside the air flow holes.
1439067230245.jpg
Bottom air flow control with no screws...These holes are a straight direct entry into the air flow holes on the top deck.
1439073642034.jpg
The drip tip is one i bought to use with my taifun nano.
1439074174296.jpg

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Man I received my Lemo 2 and was super excited. Heard such great things.

What a finicky RTA. For the love of god, it is difficult to wick. My OrKa has me spoiled =) it definitely needs modification!

Galaxy S5 G900V / OptimalRom R13-1 / ADB Debloat /Nova Prime: Via Tapatalk

Hello.

First post here, also my first day without a paper cig in about ten years.

Been using an Orchid v6 for a while, but only at home as it was leaking really bad if I tilted it. I am only using one coil at the moment, because my battery is a pass-through ego thing, and a Spinner 2 for out of the house. Put new wick in today, and blocked all the holes for the coil I’m not using with cotton. So far no leaks, even when shaking it around to test. Not sure if this counts as a mod, but could be useful to someone.

It still works well with one coil, probably the most vapour of anything I have seen IRL, not the strongest flavour, but that’s because I'm adding extra VG to the liquid. (too strong without, and it doesn’t seem to satisfy me without the clouds, if I turn volts down)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello.

First post here, also my first day without a paper cig in about ten

Been using an Orchid v6 for a while, but only at home as it was leaking really bad if I tilted it. I am only using one coil at the moment, because my battery is a pass-through ego thing, and a Spinner 2 for out of the house. Put new wick in today, and blocked all the holes for the coil I’m not using with cotton. So far no leaks, even when shaking it around to test. Not sure if this counts as a mod, but could be useful to someone.

It still works well with one coil, probably the most vapour of anything I have seen IRL, not the strongest flavour, but that’s because I'm adding extra VG to the liquid. (too strong without, and it doesn’t seem to satisfy me without the clouds, if I turn volts down)

Welcome to VU...when you are able to get at least a 30w device ,it will wake the tank up and surprise you

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Received another toy today..an orchid v1 v2 variation..The air holes are drilled to 2.4mm and the chimney also drilled out...couldnt wait to try it so didnt get pics of it all apart but i will when it goes empty on me...unless i fill it up again and make you all wait..lol

It is certainly a noticeable difference in air flow and i have to say i like it. .i went with a .4 ohm build this time and seem to have lost some flavor..ill go back up to a .6 .7 and see what happens...My next orchid base coming should have 7/16 holes drilled (2.7mm) in it...cant wait.
1439265027108.jpg

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Black orchid (stock) v4 base, stock orchid v4 chimney, Kayfun lite + tank sections, Black kayfun v4 top cap on my copper SMPL.
1439334891108.jpg

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello.

First post here, also my first day without a paper cig in about ten years.

correct me if I'm wrong but if you run only one coil, leaks are inevitable

Galaxy S5 G900V / OptimalRom R13-1 / ADB Debloat /Nova Prime: Via Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Received a package today and come up with this...I used diamond rotory bits to enlarge the holes from 2.4mm to exactly 3mm on all 4 holes..I beveled then blended that into the port for a smoooooth air flow delivery..Put in a .5 dual coil build and at 27 watts i seem to get the best flavor from it....I need to open up the KF V4 chimney next to 4.3mm and im expecting to need 30 watts to regain flavor again.

I was surprised to find out on the bell caps that it wasnt open all the way into the top portion of the tank..would be nice if it was for some added capacity...such wasted space.

Modded orchid base
Stock KF V4 chimney
KF bell cap
Orchid v6 drip tip.

A special ty goes out to @f1r3b1rd for his contribution of parts to make this possible.
1439453156522.jpg

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some pics of the mods done to the base...This is really just a semi completed base as i have more in mind...Still no juice channel mods performed and its wicking up 90/ 10 diy juice..Ill show more down the road.

Preliminary
20150812_090224.jpg
Preliminary
20150812_090856.jpg
Semi done, for now.
20150812_091038.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jah

VU Sponsors