Become a Patron!

orchid v4 question

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What's the optimal gauge kanthal for the orchid v4. I really like 24 ga. Can it handle that thick of wire? Thanks

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I do dual 22g/.2ohm micros in my Orchids all the time.

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do dual 22g/.2ohm micros in my Orchids all the time.
I havent been in this forum for a few minutes.. lol, its nice to find someone that is into Orchids. I saw the V2, then the 3 popped up, I was so about to buy.. then, came the V4.. You knowing orchids the way you do.. Am I correct in assuming that the Orchid V4, will render my KFL obsolete?
BTW, 24 is a good choice in wire, I'm more into 28, but Ive just started getting serious about dripping in the last week.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The Orchid is what the Kayfun SHOULD have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
can you remove the inner mmm chimney like the big budda?
I turned my big budda into an oversized dripper..

*i dont do too well with tanks due to the airflow..

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Tons of airflow with the Orchid. Twice that of the KFL+

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Tons of airflow with the Orchid. Twice that of the KFL+

but can I make it into a dripper too?? :D *laughs..
will always drip.. but the tanks, i am just not sure of..

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
but can I make it into a dripper too?? :D *laughs..
will always drip.. but the tanks, i am just not sure of..
Not sure. The airflow is completely below the coils which would lead to leakage issues.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
kayfun is still a great tank. orchid is like a magma with a tiny chamber being fed juice continuously. i measured the airflow on mine and its just under 2.5mm each and that is a lot. i wouldnt mind seeing something with 2mm holes

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
can you take a snap shot of it for me, please?
trying to upload mine from my big budda, but my phone is sooo slow :oops:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
this is what I did with mine, including totally removing the screws..
if I leave the screws in, in tank mode, it's just too tight..

IMG_20141027_134819.jpg IMG_20141027_134654.jpg

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For you Orchid fans Fasttech is now offering just the chimney for two bucks and change .

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
can you remove the inner mmm chimney like the big budda?
I turned my big budda into an oversized dripper..

*i dont do too well with tanks due to the airflow..
The chimney is one piece so you cannot remove the top piece and drip if that is what you meant. To drip it you would have to either cut the chimney in which case you would have to work to use it in a tank again, or you can attach the tank top to the top of the chimney and attach the drip tip but that kind of defeats the point. Unless you can find a top cap that fits the orchid, but that would be tough.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
The chimney is one piece so you cannot remove the top piece and drip if that is what you meant. To drip it you would have to either cut the chimney in which case you would have to work to use it in a tank again, or you can attach the tank top to the top of the chimney and attach the drip tip but that kind of defeats the point. Unless you can find a top cap that fits the orchid, but that would be tough.

will have to see.. I am rather happy with my big budda.. but it looks funny on my smaller mechs :p

so the chimney is attached to the top cap.. hmm..

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I havent been in this forum for a few minutes.. lol, its nice to find someone that is into Orchids. I saw the V2, then the 3 popped up, I was so about to buy.. then, came the V4.. You knowing orchids the way you do.. Am I correct in assuming that the Orchid V4, will render my KFL obsolete?

KFL and Orchid are complimentary IMO. Orchid vapes just like what it is: Kayfun times two. It also sucks juice, liquid and electrical, like Kayfun times two. I would carry the Orchid, my favorite, all the time if it weren't for this. However, if I'm going to be out all day pocketing a stealth rig, say, a nano size tank on an 18350, I will probably take a Kayfun. And daydream about the Orchid waiting for me at home. :D

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
KFL and Orchid are complimentary IMO. Orchid vapes like what it is: Kayfun times two. It also sucks juice, liquid and electrical, like Kayfun times two. I would carry the Orchid, my favorite, all the time if it weren't for this. However, if I'm going to be out all day pocketing a stealth rig, say nano size tank on an 18350, I will probably take a Kayfun. And daydream about the Orchid waiting for me at home. :D

Yeah thats a definite bummer but to be expected i suppose , you want to go faster you will use more gas lol.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
will have to see.. I am rather happy with my big budda.. but it looks funny on my smaller mechs :p

so the chimney is attached to the top cap.. hmm..
The top cap has an O-ring that fits the chimney, however the chimney is one piece apposed to the kayfun that has the coil walls and a screw on chimney. If you are fine with the diameter of orchid chimney, I suppose you could drip it but I don't see the point of dripping it apposed to using the tank. Especially since it will be prone to leaking (using to much cotton will block the airflow so it cant hold many drops).

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I just snagged this pic of the v4 from fasttech..

10-27-2014 7-57-04 PM.png

looks similar to my big budda, and it's showing the chimney can be removed..
the air holes shouldnt cause much concern.. if anyone wants to try..
remove them and the air screws and see if it will vape right.. :)

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I run M-Tanks on mine. Wee more capacity

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started with a Kayfun Lite 2.1 - it still works perfect to this day. I just outgrew it, once I wanted more airflow and a bit more vapor production.

I purchased the Orchid V2, then the V3 and now I own 2 V4's. The V2 was the first quad-channel RBA I had ever used, so naturally I was astounded. The flavor and vapor production was INSANE. The problem with the V2 was the ugly, oversized tank coupled with the fact that it only held about 2mL of juice. The hex screws were also very poorly made and stripped out easily.

My V3 purchase was due to the fact that the screws were re-engineered and the entire look of the atty was changed. I really liked it so I bought it.

A week later, V4 dropped. It's the DREAM MACHINE. I hardly ever touch my Kayfun anymore but it's still coiled, wicked and ready if I need it.

The V4 Chimney turns your V3 into a V4, when coupled with a Kayfun Lite full-size PMMA tank (or a kayfun lite body kit). That's why I just ordered mine! I will soon have 3 Orchid V4s! :)

10784918_537425849734710_533601130_n.jpg

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just ordered a V4. Can't wait! What's the best wick/wire setup? I've been building kayfuns for a while now, any similarities?

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They're tricky to wick... Either you'll have dry hits or it'll leak like an SOB. The key is finding the right amount of cottom and tucking just the very tips of the wick ends into the juice channels. I have a successful dual coil 0.6 build that works beautifully. Ill try to post a photo of how I wick it next time I tear her apart.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive tried to sketch what I do with the cotton. I bend it upward and tuck just the tip into the channel. I have found this to work extremely well.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417063275700.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417063275700.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 37

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
kayfun is still a great tank. orchid is like a magma with a tiny chamber being fed juice continuously. i measured the airflow on mine and its just under 2.5mm each and that is a lot. i wouldnt mind seeing something with 2mm holes

Got my ver 4 a few days ago. holes measured 2mm. Great for mouth to lung but to tight for lung hits. I drilled it out to 2.5 mm and it just passes fro mouth to lung and is perfect for lung hits IMHO. Mines a clone btw. I guess from what you said size wise they vary by manufacture.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey thanks for the replies guys. It was supposed to come in today but no luck. I'm really bad at waiting for new goods to arrive. I'll post pics when I build.

VU Sponsors