Become a Patron!

Orchid V4 tasting bad

Greetings all. Last week I purchased a Tobecco Orchid v4. Initally it was working great. By far best RTA I've ever experienced.. (flavor, cloud production, vape temp, ect..)

However in the past couple of days, it has started tasting Aweful. The vape temp is high, and almost has a burnt hair like taste, but mild and harsh on the throat. Rebuild the coil and re-wicked. Even though original cotton looked fine. The original build was .5 ohm dual coil. After rebuilding it is now at .7 .. Still same taste, maybe a little better than before.

After reading numerous posts here, I am hoping someone would have a suggestion on resolving this.

Also if this should have been posted somewhere else, let me know.. First time posting

Thanks!
Holmen:)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What gauge wire? A thicker wire like 24g 7 or 8 wraps works better at 0.5, 26g with low wrap count can be a poor performer.

Ah yes I am running 26 gauge with 7 wraps. What kind of performance issues can an inappropriate gauge wire cause. I just find it strange that it was working so well before. Hmmm.

Thanks for your fast reply

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Correction, had dripper on my mind with 24g :rolleyes:
26g with 7 wraps gets me to 0.49 ~ 0.51 and it hasn't given me issues. Others run down to 24g too but I leave that for the drippers.

Using a 28g trying to get to 0.5 is where issues start because you only have about 4 or 5 wraps and it doesn't cover much wick area.

Is the positive post insulator burnt & black from having the coils too close?
Got wick choking the juice channels?

Ah. No worries. Just checked. The insulator is white as snow. Here is a pic of the build. Sorry its not the best. I'm at work haha.

http://imgur.com/9hqW4ud

I've tried adjusting the coil chamber up a thread or 2. And no real change.

Regards,
Holmen

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not a cotton pro but that looks like a lot of cotton. I use CelluCotton or Japanese cotton so others may have better input.

Also the coils don't look like they are centered over the air hole.
Build the coils with a leg off to the left side so the coil sits right over the air hole. The coil on the right was lame and replaced before wicking... coil on the left is how the leg should look keeping the coil tight and together.
That's from back in the v1 days and I was using 28g at 0.65 but have been using 26g for a while now... only pic I have offhand.

2014-09-22183136.jpg

Last edited:
Oo thanks The pic! I usually use jap cotton. But ran out :\. I will try rewrapping and less cotton. What gauge wire and how many wraps did you use?

Also how can you avoid a hot leg with 1 being so long?

Thanks so much man!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 26g with 6 to 7 wraps on a 2.5mm bit to get in the 0.5 area (depending on how warm I want the vape). There is not much room for a 2.5mm coil though, 2.0 is easier to fit in there.

First fire just pulse it a couple times and the hot leg is done. After that even dry burning won't make the leg glow, I think from the kinks.

Not having the coils centered leaves room for improvement, try that.

Awesome. I will give it a try when I get home and let you know how it goes! I'm optimistic! Especially reflecting back to when I first got into rebuildables and bought a genesis style. Rip.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, damned things leaked too much but vaped well.
Forgot... 7 to 8 wraps if your using a 2mm bit to get to the 0.5 area.

Maybe someone else can think of something I haven't but something is off if it tastes burnt and can be corrected to get it running right. Hopefully just a centered coil will get it.

Also if you are used to Japanese cotton and you ran out... maybe you just need more JC. I personally don't like the flavor from cotton balls for wick.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors