Become a Patron!

Ordering the Avocado today....my first rebuildable and need advice with coils

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'm ordering the Avocado today. Eventually I would like to build my own coils from scratch, but for now I want to get pre built coils and do the wicking. I have zero experience with building, just know from the numerous articles and threads I've read. No hands on experience. Right now I use both the Baby Beast and the Big Baby Beast. I prefer the .15 ohm coil heads and run them at 55-60 watts in my hohm wrecker g2. I like vapor and LOVE flavor. What kind of coils should I use? I've strictly been running just wattage mode, but eventually would like to check out temp control . What kind of cotton should I use? And should I get/need a build deck(meter) yet? Thanks for any information!!! Sorry for such noob questions....

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Avocado 24? In your specific case I would buy simple or fused kanthal or stainless clapton coils with at least 6-8 wraps to hit something close to the experience you're used to now. Advanced Vape Supply and Lightning Vapes are two good suppliers for rebuilding supplies and there are many others. For wicking I would use simple Japanese organic cotton pads or Cotton Bacon, but only because I haven't used many other kinds.

If you are willing to go a little higher on wattage you could try the alien coils that VU user raymo2u makes for Advanced Vape supply. I've used one pair so far and they are amazing and I need to get more.

As a general rule I start my wattage at whatever will end up with just under 4 volts and bump it up or down from there to taste.

You can work on building to specific resistances as you go using Steam Engine to help plan your coils. I build on one of my heavier mods, with it locked, then unlock and test coil resistance and dry burn to check for hot spots.

Last edited:

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU !~

yeah we all have are favorites .. I'd say jump into the SS / TC arena .. don't be intimidated .. some bit of a learning curve but the SS is very clean flavor wise and they last longer than kanthal too. That being said... ss or kanthal (or NI/TI for that matter) best flavor on the avocado vs ease of building and simplicity = spaced clapton coil. Dual or single .. your choice. I usually just run a single 5-7 wrap clapton SS 26/32 (core/outerwrap)
Lightning vapes has clapton coil wire by the spool and works well for me. Good luck ! :cheers:

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Avocado 24? In your specific case I would buy simple or fused kanthal or stainless clapton coils with at least 6-8 wraps to hit something close to the experience you're used to now. Advanced Vape Supply and Lightning Vapes are two good suppliers for rebuilding supplies and there are many others. For wicking I would use simple Japanese organic cotton pads or Cotton Bacon, but only because I haven't used many other kinds.

If you are willing to go a little higher on wattage you could try the alien coils that VU user raymo2u makes for Advanced Vape supply. I've used one pair so far and they are amazing and I need to get more.

As a general rule I start my wattage at whatever will end up with just under 4 volts and bump it up or down from there to taste.

You can work on building to specific resistances as you go using Steam Engine to help plan your coils. I build on one of my heavier mods, with it locked, then unlock and test coil resistance and dry burn to check for hot spots.
@all_thumbs yes the Avocado! I've been reading alot of good things about it. I see that they have a bottom airflow as well now. I've read that the regular 24 is better, but I've also been told that the bottom air flow is. I'll need to decide by tonight......ill probably go with the reg 24.
I'm willing to go higher/different wattages, ohms, ect. I'll put the time and "research" in to get the best experience. Thanks for the info.....I'm sure ill have TONS of questions

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bottom airflow is better, no doubt about it. Was very interested in the bottom af version however, didn't like what they did to the deck when they redesigned, so never ordered it and instead ordered another 24 ;p
(The bottom deck is completely open on the bottom AF version.. kills the leak resistance factor)

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bottom airflow is better, no doubt about it. Was very interested in the bottom af version however, didn't like what they did to the deck when they redesigned, so never ordered it and instead ordered another 24 ;p
(The bottom deck is completely open on the bottom AF version.. kills the leak resistance factor)
@Foggz gottcha, bottom AF in general is better, but in the case of the 'Cado, the build deck got f'd in the bottom AF version. So ill go with the reg 24....I've only heard good things anyways...
Welcome to VU !~

yeah we all have are favorites .. I'd say jump into the SS / TC arena .. don't be intimidated .. some bit of a learning curve but the SS is very clean flavor wise and they last longer than kanthal too. That being said... ss or kanthal (or NI/TI for that matter) best flavor on the avocado vs ease of building and simplicity = spaced clapton coil. Dual or single .. your choice. I usually just run a single 5-7 wrap clapton SS 26/32 (core/outerwrap)
Lightning vapes has clapton coil wire by the spool and works well for me. Good luck ! :cheers:
@fo

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU !~

@Foggz hey, if I were to get some ss pre builts, I could use those on regular wattage mode. I don't have to just use those for tc?

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I run a single 26ga KA1 3.5 mm id 5/6 wrap for an ohm at 28-40 watts depending on the juice and my mood. I use open coils for sweet stuff and NETS closed for relatively clear juices....Battery lasts all day plus, mods only running at 40% duty cycle and the flavor is amazing.

I ran out of wire this weekend and had some 28ga ka1 which I put a 3mm id 6/7 wrap in for 1.4 ohms running at 21 watts right now....Flavor is wonderful.

Make sure when your done wicking your getting air bubbles off of both ends of all coils.

Best tank I've owned...Wont try the bottom airflow cause this deck is an absolute dream to wire and maintain.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Best build iv run on the avocado is dual 2x26/40 fused claptons on a 3mm bit, awesome flavor and vapor. Iv run everything for regular claptons to aliens on them but those fused claptons are the shit. Only downside is the hot fucking cap and the frequency of refilling, thats why my avocados are at home tanks.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Foggz hey, if I were to get some ss pre builts, I could use those on regular wattage mode. I don't have to just use those for tc?

yes - would work fine! 3mm seems to be the sweet spot re wicking .. 3.5 works ok too. Leaves enough cotton to stuff the holes well enough to avoid leaking yet still not give any dry hits.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If running dual coil builds it may help to have an ohm reader to match the coils so you're running the pair at say .5 ohm each rather than one at .31 and the other at .64 (though you'd have to really make your coils random without paying attention to wrap size/count and wire size to get that far off). Either that or wind a coil, insert it and check resistance on the mod. Remove it, wind another coil and check resistance separately just to try and match them closely. Then install both coils and wick.

Different folks have different preferences, some like rayon, some like cotton whether cotton bacon or more generic cotton pads. I use organic japanese cotton, big bag of it was cheap on amazon. I think it's Muji brand. Sold as make up pads, I just cut a bit off and peel the outer layers off both sides (the outer layers are less fluffy, almost like a 'skin'). Works for me and tastes fine (no imparted flavor that I can tell).

If planning to try temp control be sure to get your wire or premade coils in temp control wire. Not all wire works in temp control, like kanthal. Mods like hohm tech's slice and wrecker g2 have gone to great lengths to work out the kinks of temp control with a standard wire like kanthal but it's not always 100% from what I understand though it's fairly close. Consider nickel, titanium or stainless steel wire for t.c. My preference is stainless steel, ss316L. It has the ability to be used in both t.c. and power mode so it's pretty versatile.

I recently started building from scratch and it's well worth the effort. And if you're up north and it's winter you'll have a great indoor hobby.

Because the Avocado 24 allows it, you might start out with single coil builds. Getting coils to match up and not touch each other and not short out is kind of tricky at first.

And really, there's no reason not to buy some coil and wind them yourself. You'll save a ton of money.

After that start mixing your own juice and vaping becomes practically free once you own the hardware.

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
I run temp control with SS316L in practically every build except my Boreas where I prefer kanthal in power mode. Mods vary quite a bit in their ability to deliver a smooth temp control experience. That's why I use a DNA200 device almost exclusively for temp control. In my experience they are practically unmatched in delivering a smooth consistent vape experience. I have a Smok Alien that does pretty well but you notice the thing cutting out power when the temp limit is hit and then pulsing it back on when the coil drops below it. I have not even tried my DNAs in power mode. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run a single 26ga KA1 3.5 mm id 5/6 wrap for an ohm at 28-40 watts depending on the juice and my mood. I use open coils for sweet stuff and NETS closed for relatively clear juices....Battery lasts all day plus, mods only running at 40% duty cycle and the flavor is amazing.

I ran out of wire this weekend and had some 28ga ka1 which I put a 3mm id 6/7 wrap in for 1.4 ohms running at 21 watts right now....Flavor is wonderful.

Make sure when your done wicking your getting air bubbles off of both ends of all coils.

Best tank I've owned...Wont try the bottom airflow cause this deck is an absolute dream to wire and maintain.
@kevin littell Thanks for the info!! I can't wait to get this tank and get it all set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If running dual coil builds it may help to have an ohm reader to match the coils so you're running the pair at say .5 ohm each rather than one at .31 and the other at .64 (though you'd have to really make your coils random without paying attention to wrap size/count and wire size to get that far off). Either that or wind a coil, insert it and check resistance on the mod. Remove it, wind another coil and check resistance separately just to try and match them closely. Then install both coils and wick.

Different folks have different preferences, some like rayon, some like cotton whether cotton bacon or more generic cotton pads. I use organic japanese cotton, big bag of it was cheap on amazon. I think it's Muji brand. Sold as make up pads, I just cut a bit off and peel the outer layers off both sides (the outer layers are less fluffy, almost like a 'skin'). Works for me and tastes fine (no imparted flavor that I can tell).

If planning to try temp control be sure to get your wire or premade coils in temp control wire. Not all wire works in temp control, like kanthal. Mods like hohm tech's slice and wrecker g2 have gone to great lengths to work out the kinks of temp control with a standard wire like kanthal but it's not always 100% from what I understand though it's fairly close. Consider nickel, titanium or stainless steel wire for t.c. My preference is stainless steel, ss316L. It has the ability to be used in both t.c. and power mode so it's pretty versatile.
I'm gonna grab a ohm reader/building deck and a couple ceramic tools. If I'm going do it, I'm going to attempt to do it right. I'm going to order both kanthal and ss. I'm looking online right now, trying to get an order out.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently started building from scratch and it's well worth the effort. And if you're up north and it's winter you'll have a great indoor hobby.

Because the Avocado 24 allows it, you might start out with single coil builds. Getting coils to match up and not touch each other and not short out is kind of tricky at first.

And really, there's no reason not to buy some coil and wind them yourself. You'll save a ton of money.

After that start mixing your own juice and vaping becomes practically free once you own the hardware.
Yes!!! DIY juice is next on my list of things to do/learn!!

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run temp control with SS316L in practically every build except my Boreas where I prefer kanthal in power mode. Mods vary quite a bit in their ability to deliver a smooth temp control experience. That's why I use a DNA200 device almost exclusively for temp control. In my experience they are practically unmatched in delivering a smooth consistent vape experience. I have a Smok Alien that does pretty well but you notice the thing cutting out power when the temp limit is hit and then pulsing it back on when the coil drops below it. I have not even tried my DNAs in power mode. Good luck

Thanks!!! I have a Hohm Wrecker g2 and a Dovpo Punisher 80w tc. If I attempt temp control, it will be with the g2....

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
Yes!!! DIY juice is next on my list of things to do/learn!!

I started reading up on DIY juice. Beakers and toxic nic and wearing gloves. Made me think of Walter White!

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started reading up on DIY juice. Beakers and toxic nic and wearing gloves. Made me think of Walter White!

Lmao....thats hysterical!!

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Screenshot_20161230-084812.pngScreenshot_20161230-084817.png This the right one? Is 3fvape a good place to order from? Direct vapor is sold out (except for bottom airflow. Vapor DNA is $10 more than 3fvape....

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'm ordering the Avocado today. Eventually I would like to build my own coils from scratch, but for now I want to get pre built coils and do the wicking. I have zero experience with building, just know from the numerous articles and threads I've read. No hands on experience. Right now I use both the Baby Beast and the Big Baby Beast. I prefer the .15 ohm coil heads and run them at 55-60 watts in my hohm wrecker g2. I like vapor and LOVE flavor. What kind of coils should I use? I've strictly been running just wattage mode, but eventually would like to check out temp control . What kind of cotton should I use? And should I get/need a build deck(meter) yet? Thanks for any information!!! Sorry for such noob questions....
Screenshot_20161230-084812.pngScreenshot_20161230-084817.png
Is this the correct one?(24mm, no bottom a/f). How is 3fvape for ordering online. This will be my first online purchase. Direct Vapor is sold out, vapor DNA is $10 more..

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is the one we refer to as the avocado 24.. can get them for about 21/22 $ at gearbest or fasttech .. i'm on the east coast and usually get shipment from them in about 10 days ish. check out vapecrawler for prices too.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is the one we refer to as the avocado 24.. can get them for about 21/22 $ at gearbest or fasttech .. i'm on the east coast and usually get shipment from them in about 10 days ish. check out vapecrawler for prices too.
I'll check them out.....thanks. I'm in Florida so, South East. Definitely the quicker, the better. I feel like a little kid waiting for Xmas. I still gotta order coils and cotton Too.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Or you could just order it for 19.99 from vapor range and have it in a few days instead of a few weeks.
Thanks, I'll look them up too! The few things I have, I got from the local vape shops here. So these on line stores I know nothing about. I appreciate the info!!

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Having just received an order from 3fVape, I can tell you that it will take about 3-4 weeks to receive anything from them and most of the Chinese vendors. I still order from these vendors sometimes, but it is a frustrating and anxiety ridden experience. Your shipment will sit for a week at least at each end of the trip. Seriously, how long does 'originating post is preparing shipment' actually take?

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll check them out.....thanks. I'm in Florida so, South East. Definitely the quicker, the better. I feel like a little kid waiting for Xmas. I still gotta order coils and cotton Too.

Im in florida also, vapor rang is usually 4-5 days

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Having just received an order from 3fVape, I can tell you that it will take about 3-4 weeks to receive anything from them and most of the Chinese vendors. I still order from these vendors sometimes, but it is a frustrating and anxiety ridden experience. Your shipment will sit for a week at least at each end of the trip. Seriously, how long does 'originating post is preparing shipment' actually take?
Oh dann. I didn't realize they were a vendor from China. I'm all set waiting that long. I'd rather pay extra money and get it from a local shop. I'll check out these other vendors that you guys recommend. I'm about to be home so I can get this order out so I can have my new toy to play with ASAP

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im in florida also, vapor rang is usually 4-5 days
Vapor range is legit? Prices are mad cheap.....19.95 for the avocado.....

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vapor range is legit? Prices are mad cheap.....19.95 for the avocado.....

Ordered from them many times. Only issue I ever had was they sent me a stainless atty once instead of black, they answered my email the day I sent it and offered an exchange, refund, or 20% off my next order, I gladly took the 20% and placed another order immediately.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ordered from them many times. Only issue I ever had was they sent me a stainless atty once instead of black, they answered my email the day I sent it and offered an exchange, refund, or 20% off my next order, I gladly took the 20% and placed another order immediately.
Well i placed the order!! Thanks for the info! They don't charge for shipping which is cool, but I wish I could pay extra and have it shipped quicker, but there was no options for that. Hopefully this time next week I'll be getting my build ON!!

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes TC or watt mode will work.

I'm running duel 24/32 SS claptons 8 wraps 3mm in my Avocado at .25 ohms in TC on my G2.
Settings: SS TC 75W at 450F.
SS 316? So each coil is ,5 ohms?

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well i placed the order!! Thanks for the info! They don't charge for shipping which is cool, but I wish I could pay extra and have it shipped quicker, but there was no options for that. Hopefully this time next week I'll be getting my build ON!!

It would be nice to have it next week but but remember, no usps monday, sucks ordering stuff on holiday weeks

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It would be nice to have it next week but but remember, no usps monday, sucks ordering stuff on holiday weeks
Ohhhh yea, that's right.

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You picked a tough tank for a beginner. Wicking is a little difficult and the deck isn't nearly as big as you'd think, but it's a good rta. Definitely top notch flavor. I know vets that don't like anything genny style.

Carmmond

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You picked a tough tank for a beginner. Wicking is a little difficult and the deck isn't nearly as big as you'd think, but it's a good rta. Definitely top notch flavor. I know vets that don't like anything genny style.
Not really I started on a Sapor and that was worse than this...
This is a good start
Or Google Avacodo wicking it's a cakewalk ;)

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm always up for a,challenge. Plus I'm sure the V/ U members that recommended this tank would help out if need be. I'm debating picking up a 'Regular" rda as well. Are there any you recommend that would be "first timer user friendly "?

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm always up for a,challenge. Plus I'm sure the V/ U members that recommended this tank would help out if need be. I'm debating picking up a 'Regular" rda as well. Are there any you recommend that would be "first timer user friendly "?

Tsunami 24, velocity deck, bottom air, solid build, good flavor/vapor production, and are pretty inexpensive. Or vapor range has the twisted messes squared clone, havent seen it but its supposed to be a good clone and its $11-12

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tsunami 24, velocity deck, bottom air, solid build, good flavor/vapor production, and are pretty inexpensive. Or vapor range has the twisted messes squared clone, havent seen it but its supposed to be a good clone and its $11-12
Cool. Thanks, I'll check it out...

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I picked up a velocity v2 clone today to practice and mess around on. I have 2 .86 ohm Clapton coils . It's tuning at .42 ohms. I'm on a hohm wrecker g2. How do you know what wattage you can run it at? What's safe voltage to stay under?

Carmmond

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would post this question in the G2 post in reg mod section. If in power or TC I would start around 35 to 40W. You don't have to worry about voltage with a regulated mod.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would post this question in the G2 post in reg mod section. If in power or TC I would start around 35 to 40W. You don't have to worry about voltage with a regulated mod.
Ok cool. I'm looking at all these charts online and just figured I ask. This is all new to me. Thanks!! Happy New year!!

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I picked up a velocity v2 clone today to practice and mess around on. I have 2 .86 ohm Clapton coils . It's tuning at .42 ohms. I'm on a hohm wrecker g2. How do you know what wattage you can run it at? What's safe voltage to stay under?

Are you going to try to run it in tc or power?

VU Sponsors