Become a Patron!

Origen v2 MK II Genesis as my first genny?

I stopped in at a local b&m the other day to stock up on some juice and of course had to browse their stock of rdas and rtas. I asked the woman about the avocado atty, and she said that if I wanted to look at that style of rta, I should really go with the Origen they had there, and that it was hands down, one of the best flavor rtas out there. I didn't pick up new gear that day, but now I'm intrigued.

I currently rotate between a rose v2, ubertoot clone, velocity mini, and a derringer, and like so many here, can't help but look for another piece of flavor-chasing gear. The woman in the store said I could build the Origen with cotton and that the flavor was stellar, but everything I've ever read about gennies seems to suggest that stainless steel mesh is the way to go. I've never worked with mesh before, and it looks like there are a number of different types to choose from.

Here are some questions I have, and any help/advice would be appreciated:
1) is the flavor from the Origen like that of a good rda? Better? On par? And is the flavor generated largely from mesh wicks, or the engineering/design of Genesis-type atties?
2) what type of mesh should I get? The juices I vape are typically heavier vg, but not all. It seems like the choice of mesh you use depends on how thick your juice is?
3) what gauge wire should I use? And how many wraps/ohms seem to be a sweet spot?
4) thoughts on cotton wicking in the Origen? (I'd like to try mesh out, but am curious how cotton performs in case I fail miserably at mesh wicks)
5) besides a mini blowtorch (any recommendations?), are there any other building materials I'd need beyond what's typically required for building an rta/rda?
6) if the Origen doesn't sit upright, and tilts over on its side while its in my bag, will it leak everywhere?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Im surprised that no one has replied. I think the Origen you are asking about is commonly referred to as the "Originny"

The term "V3" is often used to describe the Origen V3 Dripper/ RDA so maybe some are not sure.
OOPs disregard the sentence about the V3, that was another thread.

There is the
Origen Genesis V2 MKII 4ml Tank
webstore_norbert_origen_genesis_mk2_standing.jpg

Origen Genesis V2 MKII
webstore_origen_genesis_v2_mkii_cover_2_.jpg

then there is the
Origen Dripper V3 by Norbert
origen-dripper-v3-by-norbert.jpg

Last edited:
Im surprised that no one has replied. I think the Origen you are asking about is commonly referred to as the "Originny"

The term "V3" is often used to describe the Origen V3 Dripper/ RDA so maybe some are not sure.
OOPs disregard the sentence about the V3, that was another thread.

There is the
Origen Genesis V2 MKII 4ml Tank
webstore_norbert_origen_genesis_mk2_standing.jpg

Origen Genesis V2 MKII
webstore_origen_genesis_v2_mkii_cover_2_.jpg

then there is the
Origen Dripper V3 by Norbert
origen-dripper-v3-by-norbert.jpg

Yes, I was referring to the "origenny v2" Genesis, not the Origen rdas.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ive been very tempted with that the V2 4ml. I know quite a few set it up with cotton and say its wonderful, but I hesitate with "new things"

I have the V3 RDA and I do love it.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well funny you should ask I just bought the origen v2 mkII 4ml.
Norbert the modder has more experince with drippers than he does with gennys. As someone who vapes almost exclusively on gennys I'd rate the Origenny as pretty darn good..I have what I consider better flavor gennys,but the Origen is way up there. The Origenny is based on the same chamber as Norbert's dripper which are well known for their flavor.I believe the Origen v2 mkII was designed to be versatile...you can vape cotton,but I've heard alot of people say that the airflow is to small for them...you can vape a single mesh 3mm wick dual 3mm mesh wicks a single 4mm mesh wick and a dual 4mm mesh wick, you can build cotton wicks in the 4 mm wickholes. it is a versatile atty....

building with mesh is unheard of nowdays,but years ago vaping with mesh was alot more common it has fallen out of fashion...mesh gives superior flavor,but the reason so few people vape on it is...there is a fairly large learning curve on how to build on mesh...most drippers who try and build on mesh 90% of the time get fustrated give up and go back to building on cotton...it's far far easier....mesh builders build on mesh for the quality of flavor and vape that mesh gives....I personally just don't like cotton or any of the limp wicks.
How you build a mesh wick and the size mesh you use depends on the viscosity of your juice,but it also depends on the genny you are using..you will hear peole say that you can't vape max VG on gennys...they are full of shit you can.......alot of people build diffrent style wicks for diffrent gennys..gennys and the higher end gennys are usually vaped in the .8 to 1 to 1.2 ohm range the draws are tight the wicks small..it is a set up for getting the best flavor...the Origenny with it's large wick hole and it's large airflows allows you to vape lower ohm you'd normally wouldn't in a genny...for instance right now I have a 4mm mesh wick wrapped with 4 wraps of 26 gauge and it's coming in at .6 ohms....
one of the complaints people have with gennys is that they leak....to genny vapers they just don't put them in a position to leak just as when you're a smoker you are always aware of where the coal of a cigarette is so you don't burn people....you don't throw a genny in a pack and forget it will leak on you then.....gennys just give the best flavor...in that they will give you the most complete experince of what your juice tastes like it will deliver more nuances and layers of the flavor....that is why people bother with them.....you don't need alot more tools than building with cotton....torch,siccors,nail clippers, screw drivers,tweezers.......
If you want to build with mesh be prepared to invest some time in learnign on how to build them....I would suggest if you can find someone who build with mesh and ask them to put a fresh build in a genny and then vape it....this will tell you if you think the work is worth the trouble...once you get it down though you can set up a genny blind drunk or asleep.genny design plays a huge role in how they vape and the quality of the flavor they deliver...I know some very experinced vapers who put cotton in their Origenny...even though it is an abomination before God and an affront to civilized people.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What you have to understand is when RBAs first came out you had 3 options you could drip ...cheap attys good vape annoying as fuck dripping all the time....you could squonk....good vape very expensive set up for a newbie there weren't and still aren't alot of squonking options.....or you could use a genny....gennys were the first tank attys there were cheap ones that a newbie could get for 25.00, they gave you a tank,and they gave ..if built right a killer vape....and so alot of people went through the learning curve in order to have an atty with a tank and avoid dripping, but then the kayfun came out and gennys fell out of favor...kayfuns could be built with cotton and give you a tank.....most genheads are people who started vaping in the early days.

aje81

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't gathered from the OP if you have purchased this atomizer yet or not. I honestly think that you should stop whatever it is you're doing at this exact moment and go back and buy this device if you haven't already.

pulsevape has given you a great rundown of this device and nice little history on genesis atomizers in general. I started vaping back when the Kayfun first started on the scene. But being a beginner vaper I started with cartomizers and 510 low resistance (1.5 ohms) dripping atomizers. I loved those little dripping atomizers because the flavor was just great but damn weren't those things a pain. Then I finally found the Kayfun and got off on that street for some time. So unfortunately I missed the genny scene until about a year ago when I picked up a SAT 22. Oh the flavor!! Long story short is I became a mixed vaper and vaped Kayfuns and my SAT 22 for the longest time until somewhat recent when I started searching out the some better rta's.

My first pickup was the Aqua SE and that honestly is one of my favorite cotton rta's, even more so than the Hurricane. But my next pickup was the Origen MKII. I can honestly say that this is my favorite atomizer I own right now. I like it better than the Aqua SE, Hurricane, Squape Rs, Pico, Kayfun V3, K.Loud, etc. As pulsevape stated it is just an incredibly versatile atomizer. I really like it with dual wick cotton builds and just absolutely love it with dual SS mesh builds. I personally think the airflow is relatively wide open on the widest setting and will be fine for most lung inhale vapers, which I am a restricted lung inhale vaper. I set mine at the second to widest setting on airflow and get decent clouds out of cotton and mesh. On both options I use 26g Anarchist and typically run around .4 ohms at 38 watts. Both builds give amazing flavor and vapor density and is above and beyond all my other higher end atomizers. Good enough that I would like to sell a couple atomizers off and pick up the 6ml version. Not to mention the build quality is also top notch as is Norbert's style. Just pick one up and watch jong yoel Kim's build videos over on youtube and follow them to the letter for your first builds. I promise you will not be dissapointed. And if you don't end up liking this device I will buy it from you.

Sorry about the ramble and gush fest but I truly think this is the best device on the market right now and have yet to find another that tops it. I have been trying too. If you need me to I can try and organize my thoughts a little better and actually try to answer you numbered questions, but I think pulsevape did a decent job already. Just buy the thing and the materials and vape away....you'll love it.

And yes this device will leak if left on its side for an extended period of time. But I work as an automation and electrical maintenance technician and carry it around all day without it leaking at all. Just don't throw it in your bag and take it with you is all. The pro's outweigh this one minor issue.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't gathered from the OP if you have purchased this atomizer yet or not. I honestly think that you should stop whatever it is you're doing at this exact moment and go back and buy this device if you haven't already.

pulsevape has given you a great rundown of this device and nice little history on genesis atomizers in general. I started vaping back when the Kayfun first started on the scene. But being a beginner vaper I started with cartomizers and 510 low resistance (1.5 ohms) dripping atomizers. I loved those little dripping atomizers because the flavor was just great but damn weren't those things a pain. Then I finally found the Kayfun and got off on that street for some time. So unfortunately I missed the genny scene until about a year ago when I picked up a SAT 22. Oh the flavor!! Long story short is I became a mixed vaper and vaped Kayfuns and my SAT 22 for the longest time until somewhat recent when I started searching out the some better rta's.

My first pickup was the Aqua SE and that honestly is one of my favorite cotton rta's, even more so than the Hurricane. But my next pickup was the Origen MKII. I can honestly say that this is my favorite atomizer I own right now. I like it better than the Aqua SE, Hurricane, Squape Rs, Pico, Kayfun V3, K.Loud, etc. As pulsevape stated it is just an incredibly versatile atomizer. I really like it with dual wick cotton builds and just absolutely love it with dual SS mesh builds. I personally think the airflow is relatively wide open on the widest setting and will be fine for most lung inhale vapers, which I am a restricted lung inhale vaper. I set mine at the second to widest setting on airflow and get decent clouds out of cotton and mesh. On both options I use 26g Anarchist and typically run around .4 ohms at 38 watts. Both builds give amazing flavor and vapor density and is above and beyond all my other higher end atomizers. Good enough that I would like to sell a couple atomizers off and pick up the 6ml version. Not to mention the build quality is also top notch as is Norbert's style. Just pick one up and watch jong yoel Kim's build videos over on youtube and follow them to the letter for your first builds. I promise you will not be dissapointed. And if you don't end up liking this device I will buy it from you.

Sorry about the ramble and gush fest but I truly think this is the best device on the market right now and have yet to find another that tops it. I have been trying too. If you need me to I can try and organize my thoughts a little better and actually try to answer you numbered questions, but I think pulsevape did a decent job already. Just buy the thing and the materials and vape away....you'll love it.

And yes this device will leak if left on its side for an extended period of time. But I work as an automation and electrical maintenance technician and carry it around all day without it leaking at all. Just don't throw it in your bag and take it with you is all. The pro's outweigh this one minor issue.
You got some nice attys aj...the Aqua and the squape both have great reps...I always wanted to try out the K+loud thing reminds me of the Hellfire shorty I always imagined it gave a great vape...I wonder if they make a ss tank for the thing or if you can put a mesh wick in it....The Sat 22 gets a little too hot for me I like the small chamber gennys but I think gennys like the rocket,the BMG 22 and other the MCR all have those chunky big top caps that act as heat sinks and keeps the atty from getting so hot.....I like the Origenny but I'm still searching out it's sweet spot for me,as of now I like a single 4mm mesh wick in it with 26 gauge.It's a fun atty and the flavor is up there,it's a great change of pace from the more traditional gennys that I love. I think it's a keeper.

Last edited:

aje81

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So currently the reason I like the Origenny so much is because of the airflow. I am still searching for a comparable atty and may try out Le Zephyr if I can't get my hands on it. The Origenny built with dual mesh wicks wrapped 4/5 in 26g Anarchist wire gives me the best vape experience I have had to date. Getting so much vapor density off a mesh build was something I never thought was possible. But because it is mesh the flavor for me is above and beyond anything I've had thus far. I highly recommend you set yours up with dual mesh wicks, it's amazing.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So currently the reason I like the Origenny so much is because of the airflow. I am still searching for a comparable atty and may try out Le Zephyr if I can't get my hands on it. The Origenny built with dual mesh wicks wrapped 4/5 in 26g Anarchist wire gives me the best vape experience I have had to date. Getting so much vapor density off a mesh build was something I never thought was possible. But because it is mesh the flavor for me is above and beyond anything I've had thus far. I highly recommend you set yours up with dual mesh wicks, it's amazing.
I did already..... I prefer the single wick. a friend of mine has the Le Zephyr....the next build I want to try is dual porous ceramic wicks in the origenny.

well funny you should ask I just bought the origen v2 mkII 4ml.
Norbert the modder has more experince with drippers than he does with gennys. As someone who vapes almost exclusively on gennys I'd rate the Origenny as pretty darn good..I have what I consider better flavor gennys,but the Origen is way up there. The Origenny is based on the same chamber as Norbert's dripper which are well known for their flavor.I believe the Origen v2 mkII was designed to be versatile...you can vape cotton,but I've heard alot of people say that the airflow is to small for them...you can vape a single mesh 3mm wick dual 3mm mesh wicks a single 4mm mesh wick and a dual 4mm mesh wick, you can build cotton wicks in the 4 mm wickholes. it is a versatile atty....

building with mesh is unheard of nowdays,but years ago vaping with mesh was alot more common it has fallen out of fashion...mesh gives superior flavor,but the reason so few people vape on it is...there is a fairly large learning curve on how to build on mesh...most drippers who try and build on mesh 90% of the time get fustrated give up and go back to building on cotton...it's far far easier....mesh builders build on mesh for the quality of flavor and vape that mesh gives....I personally just don't like cotton or any of the limp wicks.
How you build a mesh wick and the size mesh you use depends on the viscosity of your juice,but it also depends on the genny you are using..you will hear peole say that you can't vape max VG on gennys...they are full of shit you can.......alot of people build diffrent style wicks for diffrent gennys..gennys and the higher end gennys are usually vaped in the .8 to 1 to 1.2 ohm range the draws are tight the wicks small..it is a set up for getting the best flavor...the Origenny with it's large wick hole and it's large airflows allows you to vape lower ohm you'd normally wouldn't in a genny...for instance right now I have a 4mm mesh wick wrapped with 4 wraps of 26 gauge and it's coming in at .6 ohms....
one of the complaints people have with gennys is that they leak....to genny vapers they just don't put them in a position to leak just as when you're a smoker you are always aware of where the coal of a cigarette is so you don't burn people....you don't throw a genny in a pack and forget it will leak on you then.....gennys just give the best flavor...in that they will give you the most complete experince of what your juice tastes like it will deliver more nuances and layers of the flavor....that is why people bother with them.....you don't need alot more tools than building with cotton....torch,siccors,nail clippers, screw drivers,tweezers.......
If you want to build with mesh be prepared to invest some time in learnign on how to build them....I would suggest if you can find someone who build with mesh and ask them to put a fresh build in a genny and then vape it....this will tell you if you think the work is worth the trouble...once you get it down though you can set up a genny blind drunk or asleep.genny design plays a huge role in how they vape and the quality of the flavor they deliver...I know some very experinced vapers who put cotton in their Origenny...even though it is an abomination before God and an affront to civilized people.

Thanks for all the info! I picked up a v2mk2 clone, and am waiting for 350 mesh and a torch to arrive next week. I'll throw some cotton in there this weekend just to see how it performs, but I really want to try to get this mesh wick thing figured out, so that I can experience the flavor all the genny fans rave about!

Thanks for sharing, aje. How do you set up your dual cotton wicks, i.e. how far into the tank? I'll go check out those videos you mentioned. I've got some homework to do before my mesh arrives!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the info! I picked up a v2mk2 clone, and am waiting for 350 mesh and a torch to arrive next week. I'll throw some cotton in there this weekend just to see how it performs, but I really want to try to get this mesh wick thing figured out, so that I can experience the flavor all the genny fans rave about!

have patience

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm trying to get the F cap for the Origenny as the stock fill hole plug is a bit of a a pain. but the only place I can find that has them is in France

aje81

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm trying to get the F cap for the Origenny as the stock fill hole plug is a bit of a a pain. but the only place I can find that has them is in France
I've never heard of that until now. Thanks for the heads up, looks very interesting!

aje81

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did already..... I prefer the single wick. a friend of mine has the Le Zephyr....the next build I want to try is dual porous ceramic wicks in the origenny.
Do you know how your friend likes the Le Zephyr?

Joshhm9x

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I personally own the Origenny and love it, however a short time ago I stumbled to the Avocado RTA. The Avocado replaced my Origenny.

Aside from that Mesh wicking is miserable to learn. I prefer a rayon/cotton blend for wicking. The genny style is known for gorgeous flavor that is on point... Providing you have par level coil ability. Subohm? Go heavy VG staying positive find a nice 60/40 or 50/50. For mesh wicking I prefer a 500ss. A tip for getting the mesh to ft well and flex cut it in shape resembling a triangle it allows nice flex. The Origenny CAN leak heavily if tipped.

If you are still looking and deciding and are set on a Genesis style go for the avocado the package comes with enough stuff to put the device together a second time. If you have any questions for me let me know.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
another cool thing about this atty is how short it is ...it is shorter than all my other gennys. and still hold 4ml.

Got my 350 mesh and a torch in today and tried to follow Kim's you tube video for a single coil mesh build.

I cut the wick into the same shape as Kim's and torched it all over. Then, I put it around a small hex key and rolled it up tight, pulling it a little loose, and then removing it from the hex key and rolling it up by hand.

I built a 2.4 mm coil, 26 gauge, 5 wraps, came out to .66 ohms. Made sure the coil fired well and that there were no hot spots.

Made sure the wick would fit into the coil, and then oxidized it some more. I watched another video where the guy did 4-5 juice burns, so I tried that before inserting the mesh in the coil. I inserted the wick, fired it a couple times to make sure no hot spots, and it seemed fine.

Added juice, then started hitting the fire button to see if it was wicking. I'd see the coils glow and then the wick would catch fire. (This was at about 4.2 volts, so I dropped voltage down to around 3.2 and still had the same problem.)

I tossed the first wick and tried again. Same problem! The rolling of the wick is easy enough, but I can't figure out what I'm getting wrong here. The mesh doesn't seem to be wicking well - nasty, dry hit city- and then of course there's the problem with Fire! Am I not oxidizing the mesh enough?

Here's a photo of my build and when it first catches fire:
e6c70ee8cfe40d4edd33dd9179cb97ad.jpg

828dd2e7a088db22fbb81db5b98c3eca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I told you patience,of course it didn't work ....it's your first build..nobody's first build vapes worth a shit...this isn't cotton.....and you can't expect it to vape like cotton or behave like cotton...mesh doesn't wick anywhere near as well as cotton, that's why cloud chasers don't use it.
There are a dozen diffrent ways to do a thing and at least 6 of the ways is the right way...you wil have to experiment and find the way you like the best I know that alot of people watch Kim's videos but don't stop there watch alot of different videos and see which works for you...don't watch any videos by rip tripper he is no genhead and his tutorials on gennys are a waste of time...go look at videos made by a guy named Stalker who is on the Vape Pit forum he has some good youtube videos. Check out Scott bonners videos at Igetcha 69? or something like that.
OK so first this isn't cotton a 2.4 mm wick is not going to deliver enough juice to vape a .6 build...unless you are a damn good builder and even then you're pushing the envelope.Traditonal and most high end genny users vape around 1 ohm...now granted the smallest wickholes on the origen are bigger than traditional gennys so you should easily be able to build a sub ohm wicks even in the small wick holes....but .8 .7 might be OK....I'm vaping a .6 build in my origen but I'm using the 4 mm wickholes with a big ass wick.I would suggest you use 28 gauge for that build until you get more experince or build in the 4mm wickhole with the 26 gauge.
This dousing and burning wicks 4 or 5 times in my experince is total bullshit...this was standard procedure when people started vaping gennys and I did it myself for the first 6 or 8 months of vaping..I think the practice creates far more problems than it solves..
This isn't cotton..you can build shit and stuff it full of cotton and get a decent vape.with mesh if you build it wrong you get a mouth full of shit....so building on a genny you have to build the coil right but even more importantly you have to build the wick right....
From what I understand you are using the Petar K method..you are wrapping the wire around a drill bit putting that in the atty and then sliding the wick down into the coil..is that right.....in which case I can't help you alot as it is something I tried and soon gave up on...
before you put a drop of juice on your wick pulse the build like you do a drippers build and make sure all the coils light up at once and the all glow the same way no coil brighter than the others. keep pulsing it then adjust the coils...do not try and adjust your build with a wet wick in the atty...
I suspect from looking at your pictures you're getting a hot leg....that is the section ot the coil that goes from the wick over to the post is glowing hotter than the rest of the coil and when you hit the button it glows like a cherry while the rest of the coil doesn't is that about right?
A genny wick is not like cotton...with cotton you are relying on the cotton or rayon or hemp or silica to absorb juice and feed the coil on a genny the wick absorbs juice..but on a genny you have to tilt the genny this forces the juice to travel down the outside of the wick to the coils...some genheads like to build so that there is a bit of slop between the wick and the edge of the wickhole so juice can run down the side of the wick, some build snug but their wick wicks well...oh and make real sure that the wick is not hitting the bottom of the tank I like 2 or 3 mm space between the wick and the bottom of the tank. some gennys are noted for wicking well other for not wicking well.

Some gennys are sweethearts and will let you get away with a little ...some gennys are bears and you either build to them or they punish you...this atty I would rate somewhere in between...it is most likely not the easist genny for a newbie to build on,but if you master it you will be able to build on anything.

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, very nice thread here ;)

2gt27lv.jpg

I used to have the Origenny, no complaints with that atty, but at the time, I also had a Sat22 and MCR303 which was my go-to genny back then.

2m5nggg.jpg

If I had given the Origenny more time and a fairer run, I think it would have kept it much longer, but the tinier, micro chambered gens where more suited to the basic builds that I liked at the time, which was around 1ohm using 30g wire around a 2.4mm wick.

As Pulsevape mentioned, the SAT22's do get very hot, even with the thinner gauge wire I was using. With identical builds as the 303, the Sat22 was a much hotter vape due to the ultra-thin top cap. The MCR303 was far more thick and chunky, so would not get affected by the heat as quickly as the Sat.

As I switched over to using 28g wire, I ended up selling the Sat22 and picked up a Rocket R. Chamber size more or less the same as the MCR303, but considerably thicker, and was also 22mm whereas the 303 is a 20mm.
bg7eh3.jpg

2dul6kp.jpg

158bn9z.jpg

2afx6c6.jpg

I usually wicked the Rocket R with SS cable wrapped with 400 mesh at the end. I think that build was closer to 1.2ohms and often ran it at around 3.8v with a Provari 2.5 if I wasn't using it with a mech.

Still preferred the MCR303, so sold the Rocket R after a short run.

Anyway, sorry to get off track, but re: the Le Zepher, I recently picked one up and what should typically be an atomizer I wouldn't like more than the 303, its pretty much proven otherwise.

Like the Origenny, there are a fuck-ton of configurations you can run it with, cotton, mesh, big wick, small wick, big airflow, tight airflow, etc... Once you figure out your ideal setting and build, the Le Zepher is an absolute joy to use.

I didn't like using thicker mesh wicks, so picked up the Vaponaute reducers and now running 325 SS mesh wrapped with .28g wire at around .8 ohms.
335b2uh.jpg

Filling is super easy, just pop the top cap off and fill, dropper bottles no problem, no mess or fuss.

sv3sdy.jpg

With my mech, 50/50 juice wicks like crazy, so I'm using a thicker, VG based juice.

If I run my typical 50/50 blend NET, I need to throw this on a regulated device to counter the excess juice build-up.

14ak95c.jpg

As of now, back on the mechanical since I'm really digging this Boyds Bounty ejuice, tastes like a pipe tobacco pastry or something of the sort lol

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
PS: Regarding your first genisis build,I learned the basics from this review vid by igetch69:

Pre-wrapping the wire around your wick that is stabilized with a thin rod or syringe needle makes it much easier to wrap the wire nice and evenly. Try not to wrap too tight, you only need the wire to be snug around the wick.

Start with a higher resistance, anything above 1 ohm will be much easier to handle, and I do think that pulsing the coils with a mech is much better than a regulated device.

Even better, grab one of these:
http://www.coil-master.net/product/coil-master-521

Genny building on these is a joy, you can constantly check the resistance or shorts and switch back to pulsing the coils without having to screw/unscrew the atty.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OOOOhhh thanks for the genny porn Ken....and thanks for the mini review of the Le Zephyr there is not lot new in the gennys scene so it's nice to have a review...the rocket is a pretty looking genny..I like the center post design on the Le zephyr how it flutes out at the top I would think really helps keep down hot legs. explain please why you use a regulated device on your NET juices.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There are a lot of real nice Gennys in the classifieds. Some gorgeous ones, too bad me and Gennys dont get along

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are a lot of real nice Gennys in the classifieds. Some gorgeous ones, too bad me and Gennys dont get along
whose classifieds....ECF..... facebook? ,not here...I can't think of the next genny I'd like to try...a Calibre 22.... H-atty....of all the ones I've tried I've nailed it down to about 3 or 4........I thought about the rocket,but I've seen to many of them put up for sale which leads me to believe they are not all that well loved.....

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah none of those is what I would consider great gennys..most are pretty old school..the Bliss is the best of the bunch,but I never liked the center post design that doc dave used. as collector items there is some cool vaping history there....hell the DID is pretty cool...damn people killed for those back in the day.

Last edited:
Ah, very nice thread here ;)

2gt27lv.jpg

I used to have the Origenny, no complaints with that atty, but at the time, I also had a Sat22 and MCR303 which was my go-to genny back then.

2m5nggg.jpg

If I had given the Origenny more time and a fairer run, I think it would have kept it much longer, but the tinier, micro chambered gens where more suited to the basic builds that I liked at the time, which was around 1ohm using 30g wire around a 2.4mm wick.

As Pulsevape mentioned, the SAT22's do get very hot, even with the thinner gauge wire I was using. With identical builds as the 303, the Sat22 was a much hotter vape due to the ultra-thin top cap. The MCR303 was far more thick and chunky, so would not get affected by the heat as quickly as the Sat.

As I switched over to using 28g wire, I ended up selling the Sat22 and picked up a Rocket R. Chamber size more or less the same as the MCR303, but considerably thicker, and was also 22mm whereas the 303 is a 20mm.
bg7eh3.jpg

2dul6kp.jpg

158bn9z.jpg

2afx6c6.jpg

I usually wicked the Rocket R with SS cable wrapped with 400 mesh at the end. I think that build was closer to 1.2ohms and often ran it at around 3.8v with a Provari 2.5 if I wasn't using it with a mech.

Still preferred the MCR303, so sold the Rocket R after a short run.

Anyway, sorry to get off track, but re: the Le Zepher, I recently picked one up and what should typically be an atomizer I wouldn't like more than the 303, its pretty much proven otherwise.

Like the Origenny, there are a fuck-ton of configurations you can run it with, cotton, mesh, big wick, small wick, big airflow, tight airflow, etc... Once you figure out your ideal setting and build, the Le Zepher is an absolute joy to use.

I didn't like using thicker mesh wicks, so picked up the Vaponaute reducers and now running 325 SS mesh wrapped with .28g wire at around .8 ohms.
335b2uh.jpg

Filling is super easy, just pop the top cap off and fill, dropper bottles no problem, no mess or fuss.

sv3sdy.jpg

With my mech, 50/50 juice wicks like crazy, so I'm using a thicker, VG based juice.

If I run my typical 50/50 blend NET, I need to throw this on a regulated device to counter the excess juice build-up.

14ak95c.jpg

As of now, back on the mechanical since I'm really digging this Boyds Bounty ejuice, tastes like a pipe tobacco pastry or something of the sort lol
Nice photos!

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ive been looking at the Le Zephyr and that MCR has been calling to me for a while. I have 2 of the MCR 101SL that are perfect together.

I just get nervous about learning something new and what if I dont like it. Seems I have real bad luck selling things these days.

I told you patience,of course it didn't work ....it's your first build..nobody's first build vapes worth a shit...this isn't cotton.....and you can't expect it to vape like cotton or behave like cotton...mesh doesn't wick anywhere near as well as cotton, that's why cloud chasers don't use it.
There are a dozen diffrent ways to do a thing and at least 6 of the ways is the right way...you wil have to experiment and find the way you like the best I know that alot of people watch Kim's videos but don't stop there watch alot of different videos and see which works for you...don't watch any videos by rip tripper he is no genhead and his tutorials on gennys are a waste of time...go look at videos made by a guy named Stalker who is on the Vape Pit forum he has some good youtube videos. Check out Scott bonners videos at Igetcha 69? or something like that.
OK so first this isn't cotton a 2.4 mm wick is not going to deliver enough juice to vape a .6 build...unless you are a damn good builder and even then you're pushing the envelope.Traditonal and most high end genny users vape around 1 ohm...now granted the smallest wickholes on the origen are bigger than traditional gennys so you should easily be able to build a sub ohm wicks even in the small wick holes....but .8 .7 might be OK....I'm vaping a .6 build in my origen but I'm using the 4 mm wickholes with a big ass wick.I would suggest you use 28 gauge for that build until you get more experince or build in the 4mm wickhole with the 26 gauge.
This dousing and burning wicks 4 or 5 times in my experince is total bullshit...this was standard procedure when people started vaping gennys and I did it myself for the first 6 or 8 months of vaping..I think the practice creates far more problems than it solves..
This isn't cotton..you can build shit and stuff it full of cotton and get a decent vape.with mesh if you build it wrong you get a mouth full of shit....so building on a genny you have to build the coil right but even more importantly you have to build the wick right....
From what I understand you are using the Petar K method..you are wrapping the wire around a drill bit putting that in the atty and then sliding the wick down into the coil..is that right.....in which case I can't help you alot as it is something I tried and soon gave up on...
before you put a drop of juice on your wick pulse the build like you do a drippers build and make sure all the coils light up at once and the all glow the same way no coil brighter than the others. keep pulsing it then adjust the coils...do not try and adjust your build with a wet wick in the atty...
I suspect from looking at your pictures you're getting a hot leg....that is the section ot the coil that goes from the wick over to the post is glowing hotter than the rest of the coil and when you hit the button it glows like a cherry while the rest of the coil doesn't is that about right?
A genny wick is not like cotton...with cotton you are relying on the cotton or rayon or hemp or silica to absorb juice and feed the coil on a genny the wick absorbs juice..but on a genny you have to tilt the genny this forces the juice to travel down the outside of the wick to the coils...some genheads like to build so that there is a bit of slop between the wick and the edge of the wickhole so juice can run down the side of the wick, some build snug but their wick wicks well...oh and make real sure that the wick is not hitting the bottom of the tank I like 2 or 3 mm space between the wick and the bottom of the tank. some gennys are noted for wicking well other for not wicking well.

Some gennys are sweethearts and will let you get away with a little ...some gennys are bears and you either build to them or they punish you...this atty I would rate somewhere in between...it is most likely not the easist genny for a newbie to build on,but if you master it you will be able to build on anything.
Thanks for all the tips.

I think I'm on my 6th or 7th attempt, and I think I'm getting closer to finding some success. I tried wrapping the coil around the wick (using 28g instead of 26), rather than the coil first and then inserting the wick. I spent more time working on looking for hot spots. I tried rolling a tighter roll of mesh (still using the smaller holes). Each time I tried a different tweak, things seemed to get a little better, but the mesh still wasn't wicking well, and I still ended up getting dry hits.

I was only using about 2.5-3.5 cm of mesh (width-wise), but did some googling and found an ecf post touting the benefits of 500 mesh (I only have 350) and rolling tighter, thicker wicks. The post is really long so I haven't read through it all, but I tried rolling a tighter 6.5 cm width wick that fit into a 28g, 3mm coil that came out to 1.25 ohms.

On this attempt, I went back to what I guess is the Petar k method (does he have a video or something? Who is he??), where I pulsed the coil to work out hot spots, oxidized the mesh one more time, and fit it into the coil. Pulsed it on a mech mod (this seems to be better for working on the coil to make sure it heats up evenly than through a regulated mod??), tried some juice on it to make sure it seemed to fire ok. I put a little juice in the tank to see how it was wicking and when I didn't see the coils glow red (which kept happening before because the mesh wasn't wicking well), I filled up the tank.

I had to keep the watts lower (around 10) than I would like at first, and I had to do a lot of genny tilting, but finally, no more dry hits! I can now push it to about 14-15 watts without the hint of a dry hit, as long as I keep tilting, and I don't chain vape too much. The flavor seems to be getting a little better, but I know the mesh still probably isn't wicking as well as it should because the flavor isn't coming through as much as I would expect.

So it seems like one of the reasons I was struggling so much with my first several builds was that I needed to have more mesh compressed tightly for the wick? I'll try even more next time and see if it wicks better. I've seen some posts on gennies that indicate if you build your mesh right (and pick the right kind of mesh), you don't even need to do the genny tilt.

So how much mesh do y'all start with when you start rolling?

Last edited:

cloudsbroclouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
dunno how you guys deal with the seizing top cap and tank retention ring. i hate having to drop the atty in a freezer all the friggin time just to get it apart!

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OOOOhhh thanks for the genny porn Ken....and thanks for the mini review of the Le Zephyr there is not lot new in the gennys scene so it's nice to have a review...the rocket is a pretty looking genny..I like the center post design on the Le zephyr how it flutes out at the top I would think really helps keep down hot legs. explain please why you use a regulated device on your NET juices.

The Le Zepher still has a learning curve for me, so haven't nailed what juice viscosity/mesh grade and coil resistance I want to use for long term.

The set up I have now with 325 mesh, 28g wire @ .8ohms wicks too quickly with lower VG juices. Boyds bounty, which I believe is at least 70% VG works beautifully with my ELA mech, but when I switched over to Blacknote NET liquids, which is quite a thin 50/50 blend, starts to gurgle a little after some time when the voltage drops to certain point, so hence why I threw it on the Supernova to give it a little more boost in power.

If I like Boyds Bounty enough to continue using it more frequently, I'll just leave the build alone and stick with the ELA. If I decide to go back to another Blacknote NET, I'll either change the mesh to 400 or 500, and/or continue using the Supernova if I'm still going to continue switching between juices.

As for the Rocket, I loved the design, looks and overall performance, but with the MCR becoming so cheap and easily accessible, opted to get more of them instead, plus I still liked the flavor more. How is yours coming along?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive been looking at the Le Zephyr and that MCR has been calling to me for a while. I have 2 of the MCR 101SL that are perfect together.

I just get nervous about learning something new and what if I dont like it. Seems I have real bad luck selling things these days.

MCR303's are about $40 with the ongoing flash sale, total steal IMO. I think once whatever inventory is sold off, that might be it, not certain though.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the tips.

I think I'm on my 6th or 7th attempt, and I think I'm getting closer to finding some success. I tried wrapping the coil around the wick (using 28g instead of 26), rather than the coil first and then inserting the wick. I spent more time working on looking for hot spots. I tried rolling a tighter roll of mesh (still using the smaller holes). Each time I tried a different tweak, things seemed to get a little better, but the mesh still wasn't wicking well, and I still ended up getting dry hits.

I was only using about 2.5-3.5 cm of mesh (width-wise), but did some googling and found an ecf post touting the benefits of 500 mesh (I only have 350) and rolling tighter, thicker wicks. The post is really long so I haven't read through it all, but I tried rolling a tighter 6.5 cm width wick that fit into a 28g, 3mm coil that came out to 1.25 ohms.

On this attempt, I went back to what I guess is the Petar k method (does he have a video or something? Who is he??), where I pulsed the coil to work out hot spots, oxidized the mesh one more time, and fit it into the coil. Pulsed it on a mech mod (this seems to be better for working on the coil to make sure it heats up evenly than through a regulated mod??), tried some juice on it to make sure it seemed to fire ok. I put a little juice in the tank to see how it was wicking and when I didn't see the coils glow red (which kept happening before because the mesh wasn't wicking well), I filled up the tank.

I had to keep the watts lower (around 10) than I would like at first, and I had to do a lot of genny tilting, but finally, no more dry hits! I can now push it to about 14-15 watts without the hint of a dry hit, as long as I keep tilting, and I don't chain vape too much. The flavor seems to be getting a little better, but I know the mesh still probably isn't wicking as well as it should because the flavor isn't coming through as much as I would expect.

So it seems like one of the reasons I was struggling so much with my first several builds was that I needed to have more mesh compressed tightly for the wick? I'll try even more next time and see if it wicks better. I've seen some posts on gennies that indicate if you build your mesh right (and pick the right kind of mesh), you don't even need to do the genny tilt.

So how much mesh do y'all start with when you start rolling?
Way to go with batteling the bitch and not throwing in the towel......this is what I meant when I said it is as important to build the right wick as it was in building the right coil.....you have to build a wick that works with your atty and with the type of juice you vape...If you are vaping a 50/50 juice or a juice with more than 50% pg 325 mesh is not the best idea...I use 325 mesh but I vape 80% vg and 20%pg.
I've heard all the battles for tight vs lose roll for wicks, you just have to find out for yourself which works best. tight in the wick hole or sloppy....50/50 juice wicks good, and if it doesn't you maybe strangeling your wick or wrapping the wire around the wick to tight. a style of wick you may want to try is the wick within the wick. you roll one wick around a drill bit so that it creates a good size straw, and then you wrap another wick tight that you then slide down into the straw of the first wick...see if you can find a video of Doc Dave doing a build for one of his gennys,he recommended this wick for his gennys.400 or 500 or what is called 200 super fine are good mesh sizes for 50/50 or higher pg juices. I have found a tightish wick with a fine sized mesh works well with higher pg juies and I still prefer a little slop in the wick hole...My first guess is that you need a finer mesh as I have found 325 to be damn near useless for anything other than high vg juices.and be careful to make sure the wire is toughing the wick but not so tight as to strangle the wick...so get some diffrent mesh....once you get good at building even with a fresh build you should get real good flavor,but a mesh wick needs to bed,,,,in other words it will get better once you've vaped on it for half a day.that being said you need to watch to see if your wick is totally wet before firing it up for the first time...finer mesh.

Ken you wanna chime in here you vape 50/50 juices....it's been awhile since I vaped them.and even when I did I was using porous ceramic wicks at the time for alot of my builds...

as an aside even I who vapes 80% vg ,,now that the weather is warming up I will most likely start building with a finer mesh like 400..as summer comes along if you're vaping 50/50 I'd say try 500 or 200 superfine...

Last edited:
Way to go with batteling the bitch and not throwing in the towel......this is what I meant when I said it is as important to build the right wick as it was in building the right coil.....you have to build a wick that works with your atty and with the type of juice you vape...If you are vaping a 50/50 juice or a juice with more than 50% pg 325 mesh is not the best idea...I use 325 mesh but I vape 80% vg and 20%pg.
I've heard all the battles for tight vs lose roll for wicks, you just have to find out for yourself which works best. tight in the wick hole or sloppy....50/50 juice wicks good, and if it doesn't you maybe strangeling your wick or wrapping the wire around the wick to tight. a style of wick you may want to try is the wick within the wick. you roll one wick around a drill bit so that it creates a good size straw, and then you wrap another wick tight that you then slide down into the straw of the first wick...see if you can find a video of Doc Dave doing a build for one of his gennys,he recommended this wick for his gennys.400 or 500 or what is called 200 super fine are good mesh sizes for 50/50 or higher pg juices. I have found a tightish wick with a fine sized mesh works well with higher pg juies and I still prefer a little slop in the wick hole...My first guess is that you need a finer mesh as I have found 325 to be damn near useless for anything other than high vg juices.and be careful to make sure the wire is toughing the wick but not so tight as to strangle the wick...so get some diffrent mesh....once you get good at building even with a fresh build you should get real good flavor,but a mesh wick needs to bed,,,,in other words it will get better once you've vaped on it for half a day.that being said you need to watch to see if your wick is totally wet before firing it up for the first time...finer mesh.

Ken you wanna chime in here you vape 50/50 juices....it's been awhile since I vaped them.and even when I did I was using porous ceramic wicks at the time for alot of my builds...

as an aside even I who vapes 80% vg ,,now that the weather is warming up I will most likely start building with a finer mesh like 400..as summer comes along if you're vaping 50/50 I'd say try 500 or 200 superfine...

Thanks pulsevape. I actually vape higher vg juices--typically 75 vg, max vg juices. I'll keep experimenting, and try some other types of mesh too. Is ss cable easier to work with, since all you need to do is torch it really well, give it a sleeve, coil it, and go? Or is it more complicated than it looks?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No need to oxidize the SS cable as long as where you wrap your coils is wrapped with oxidized mesh. I personally recommend the cable method to anyone starting with genisis tanks. However, be careful where you get cable from. I recommend Kidney Puncher, they have 316 grade SS cables that are not contaminated with machine oils like many of the other places sell.

And to answer your question if cable is easier or not, well, you still have to oxidize mesh, wrap your coils, and fix the hot spots if you get them, so the process is still more or less the same, but the end result is easier to achieve.

Re: 50/50 juice, I don't have a preference, its just that my favorite juice line only makes them in 50/50, so I sort of have to designate the build according to the juice. As for 50/50 juices wicking better than high VG, I used to think that, but in reality, you just need to wick your build accordingly, viscosity itself doesn't really matter IMO.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No need to oxidize the SS cable as long as where you wrap your coils is wrapped with oxidized mesh. I personally recommend the cable method to anyone starting with genisis tanks. However, be careful where you get cable from. I recommend Kidney Puncher, they have 316 grade SS cables that are not contaminated with machine oils like many of the other places sell.

And to answer your question if cable is easier or not, well, you still have to oxidize mesh, wrap your coils, and fix the hot spots if you get them, so the process is still more or less the same, but the end result is easier to achieve.

Re: 50/50 juice, I don't have a preference, its just that my favorite juice line only makes them in 50/50, so I sort of have to designate the build according to the juice. As for 50/50 juices wicking better than high VG, I used to think that, but in reality, you just need to wick your build accordingly, viscosity itself doesn't really matter IMO.
yeah I agree it used to be assumed you couldn't vape high VG juices in a genny,but after beinfg forced to cut down on my pg I found ways to make my gennys work with high vg.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Le Zepher still has a learning curve for me, so haven't nailed what juice viscosity/mesh grade and coil resistance I want to use for long term.

The set up I have now with 325 mesh, 28g wire @ .8ohms wicks too quickly with lower VG juices. Boyds bounty, which I believe is at least 70% VG works beautifully with my ELA mech, but when I switched over to Blacknote NET liquids, which is quite a thin 50/50 blend, starts to gurgle a little after some time when the voltage drops to certain point, so hence why I threw it on the Supernova to give it a little more boost in power.

If I like Boyds Bounty enough to continue using it more frequently, I'll just leave the build alone and stick with the ELA. If I decide to go back to another Blacknote NET, I'll either change the mesh to 400 or 500, and/or continue using the Supernova if I'm still going to continue switching between juices.

As for the Rocket, I loved the design, looks and overall performance, but with the MCR becoming so cheap and easily accessible, opted to get more of them instead, plus I still liked the flavor more. How is yours coming along?
I'm still dialing it in....for the best build what do you use....actually my BMG22 is getting alot of love lately( it's a fucking good genny)...and i bought another Pulse G...it's the only atty I've wanted to have more than one of.....come the rapture I wanna be ready.

VU Sponsors