Become a Patron!

Over 1 ohm on sub ohm tank??

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A few days ago my big baby beast came in the mail and ive been happily vaping on the rba that comes pre coiled. I ordered some 26 kanthal wire and cotton. Now when i go into steam engine and putting in the variables i come up with about 1 wrap to get to the .6 or lower that the manufacturer coils are. Am i missing something? Is this not a series circuit and instead parallel? Is it ok to build a setup above 1 ohm on a sub ohm tank. And if so any recommendations where to start at? I have an alien coming in the mail, right now im using a quantum brit mod.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A few days ago my big baby beast came in the mail and ive been happily vaping on the rba that comes pre coiled. I ordered some 26 kanthal wire and cotton. Now when i go into steam engine and putting in the variables i come up with about 1 wrap to get to the .6 or lower that the manufacturer coils are. Am i missing something? Is this not a series circuit and instead parallel? Is it ok to build a setup above 1 ohm on a sub ohm tank. And if so any recommendations where to start at? I have an alien coming in the mail, right now im using a quantum brit mod.
Are you sure your putting in the right information? What size inner diameter are you using? Cuz something doesn't make sense

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I ordered some 26 kanthal wire and cotton
So, if you are attempting to get a 1.0ohm coil into the RBA deck, you would have to do approx 17 wraps p/coil using 26g KA1 wire on 2.5mm ID. 12-14 wraps fits fine, 17 wraps might be pushing it a little. I would have to wrap one up and check to verify it.
upload_2017-1-13_1-47-33.png

Probably what I would recommend is a .5ohm total build on this RBA using a spaced KA1 26g coils.

upload_2017-1-13_1-48-21.png

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Post your specs and we can see what's wonky.

@PhantomOp
He's trying to get close to the ohms of the claptons that came with it.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
haha ... i threw mine away. They looked like crap and I didn't want to use them. They were extremely spaced out if I remember correctly. About 5 or 6 wraps total. If the two coils combined came out to .6ohms total, that would have to be a 1.2ohm p/coil build. I'm not finding a wire resistance in steam-engine that would match that build out. They may have been using a different resistance wire. I've seen that before with other manufacturers coils.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
haha ... i threw mine away. They looked like crap and I didn't want to use them. They were extremely spaced out if I remember correctly. About 5 or 6 wraps total. If the two coils combined came out to .6ohms total, that would have to be a 1.2ohm p/coil build. I'm not finding a wire resistance in steam-engine that would match that build out. They may have been using a different resistance wire. I've seen that before with other manufacturers coils.
Mine are at 0.37. Saw someone else post theirs were 0.36. The box claimed 0.3. Sounds like smok doesn't use a calculator, lol. But mine looked really good, and vape great. Close enough.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
K, that is easy to rebuild then with KA1. Two coils, each at .6ohms

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On the 0.6 thing:
The OP was thinking it was a series build. He was looking for .3 but getting .6, so he was on point for parallel. Just input the numbers wrong.

At least I think that's what happened. I am kinda sleepy lol.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright so I think i made the mistake of thinking that it was a series circuit. But what i gather from reading all this is that its a parallel circuit. This was throwing me way off.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got it all setup and im at .45. Havent vaped on it yet but im pretty happy. The coils arent pretty. they glow from out to in though. I bought some of the winding tools off ebay for cheap and cant seem to get them to work without overlapping coils. If im on tonight you'll know i didnt blow my face off :). thanks for all the help.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Glad you got something going.
First build is always tough. Plenty of tutorial vids and posts around to help you improve your skills. Worked for me. :)

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Got it all setup and im at .45. Havent vaped on it yet but im pretty happy. The coils arent pretty. they glow from out to in though. I bought some of the winding tools off ebay for cheap and cant seem to get them to work without overlapping coils. If im on tonight you'll know i didnt blow my face off :). thanks for all the help.

Your coils should glow evenly from the inside out. I recommend using ceramic tweezers to lightly squeeze and strum the coils while pulse firing them until they both glow evenly from the inside out. Also, when wraping your coils with the step tool, it's easiest to keep a little space between the wraps and then carefully press the wraps together against the step of the tool. Doing so will prevent overlapping and your coils will be a lot nicer. I also recommend investing in one of the new Coil-Master V3 tool kits with the Mini-Tab. The kit is around $50.00 but it's a complete quality kit with everything you need to build and fire your coils. And as mentioned in another post, there are some excellent coil building tutorials on YouTube from guy's like Ohmboy Josh, Grimm Green, Squidood and dare I say it, *Cough* Rip Trippers *Cough*

Hope this helps,

Shawn

Last edited:

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Aquaholic2491

Here are a couple pics of some of my very first coil builds. Using both a screwdriver and a coil jig.

The first pic is my first ever attempt at a "Twisted Clapton" the second pic is one of my very first coils using a screwdriver, the third pic is my first standard Clapton and lastly, coils that I made with a jig. The Clapton's are definitely not a newb friendly coil! LOL I kept having problems with the core wire breaking pulling out of the Clapton wrap along with spacing problems so lots of practice is in order. But if I can do it, anyone can. The good thing is, Kanthal is cheap so keep practicing and you'll be a pro in no time. :)

Shawn

Attachments

• tmp_29726-20170103_152742-993501234.jpg
    tmp_29726-20170103_152742-993501234.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 14
  • tmp_29726-20170108_104221-330825725.jpg
    tmp_29726-20170108_104221-330825725.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 12
  • tmp_29726-20170101_181021-1078652586.jpg
    tmp_29726-20170101_181021-1078652586.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 12
  • tmp_29726-20161227_115915-1875089146.jpg