Become a Patron!

Over a week in and something just went wrong! Help?

First post, seeking answers.
Over a week ago got an evic vtc mini with a tron-s. Had a coil that was labeled .2 ohm nickel installed. So I went and picked up some liquid from a local shop. They actually found me a flavor that I liked, bourbon. They recommended I try a 70/30 VG/PG blend. It worked out well. I loved it! Followed the setup instructions to the letter. I was running in the 550-570F range at 60 watts. Beautiful!

Day before yesterday I start getting a burnt taste, so I open the tank and the coil is seriously discolored. Okay then. Try replacing it. So I get a new pack of .2 ohm nickel coils. I also got some new liquid with the same pg/vg ratio in a different flavor and on mg higher nicotine. Primed it appropriately, followed setup instructions again to the letter. I've gone through one of those and the titanium coil that came with the kit. It tastes burnt although seemingly only to me. That said, I don't know whether it's flavoring agent or more nicotine or what, but the air passage, tip and wick inside the coil are all dark brown in no time. It tastes gnarly and it's screwing with my lungs big time. I've tried everything. Low wattage, high wattage, low temp, high temp, cleaning the tank, you name it.
Help!

I'm a bit concerned and I can't find anything about this nasty brown mess by googling. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If the wicking material is burnt, there's no coming back to that coil. Did you prime the wick with juice and let it sit before you vaped it? A higher nic might taste a little different, sure. Some juices like lower watts, too.

I'm not sure if it's burnt or if there's something really wrong with this liquid. This straight up tastes burnt, almost right away with a new coil. Nobody else tastes the burnt flavor. It didn't taste burnt when I first started this batch of liquid. I can tell you it's spitting crap into my drip tip and murdering my lungs! It has across two coils. I turned two coils brown today. I don't get it. I primed the coils, installed them in a full tank and let them sit for at bare minimum 30 minutes, then started out lower wattage and bottom of the recommended temp range to start off. Also: Should the o-rings on these coils be different color in a sealed pack? I checked the code on their site, it's genuine.But, two of them the top o-ring is black, the other three are blue.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The black is 1 ohm, the blue is .2

I generally run 40 watts in temp mode, at 440F on a .2 coil. I probably wouldn't go any higher than 20 watts on the 1 ohm. Your mileage may vary

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Only thing I can think of it to check to make sure it didn't go into wattage mode

if you did that already, lets just call this a free bump :cloud:

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best thing you could do is remove your Tron tank, put it in a drawer, and get a Crown tank, or Herakles Plus. Joyetech made a great device with the VTC Mini, but their coils (CL/CLR) are just not that good. :poop:

Still in TC mode. I just swapped out for a fresh coil, one with a blue o-ring. Let's see what we get. Thus far it tastes correct, but we'll see. The others did for a couple hours... I'm running this one 30-40 watts in the recommended temp range. If this ends up alright I'm going to lose my mind since the titanium wound up tasting burnt within the recommended settings.

Any opinions on other tanks? My coworker has a Cubis on the same mod with a .5 ohm ss coil. The air flow feels perfect and it doesn't seem to have the wicking issues the CL coils seem to be known for. I LOVE the air flow and the flavor on that tank but the very end of a puff on it seems to punch me in the back of the throat and he's running low wattage for the coil.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even though I've been tapped in for advice, afraid I'm not going to be much help on the tank in question. Sounds like a bad batch of coils which, unfortunately, is pretty common given shoddy QC with manufacturers.

Better tanks? I'm a Crown fan, though the TFV4 has high accolades I have yet to try it - I've recently acquired one, but it's taking a backseat to experimenting with the Alleria.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't know they made a 1 ohm nickel. This was a sealed pack of nickel coils, all labeled .2, even on the body of the coil.

You got 2 different colored O-rings, the O-rings are the tell. You have a mixed box of coils. Clones and rebuilt knock offs are rampant now days. I suggest you find another store, and purchase ONE coil. If it's good, then you can buy another.

This is a no brainer, from their web site. 1 ohm isn't nickel, nor is it temp control.

COIL.jpg

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Even though I've been tapped in for advice, afraid I'm not going to be much help on the tank in question. Sounds like a bad batch of coils which, unfortunately, is pretty common given shoddy QC with manufacturers.

Better tanks? I'm a Crown fan, though the TFV4 has high accolades I have yet to try it - I've recently acquired one, but it's taking a backseat to experimenting with the Alleria.

Just to high jack this thread. I think you're going to be disappointed with the TFV4. Mine sits collecting dust. The Crown blows it away when flavor chasing.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Still in TC mode. I just swapped out for a fresh coil, one with a blue o-ring. Let's see what we get. Thus far it tastes correct, but we'll see. The others did for a couple hours... I'm running this one 30-40 watts in the recommended temp range. If this ends up alright I'm going to lose my mind since the titanium wound up tasting burnt within the recommended settings.

Any opinions on other tanks? My coworker has a Cubis on the same mod with a .5 ohm ss coil. The air flow feels perfect and it doesn't seem to have the wicking issues the CL coils seem to be known for. I LOVE the air flow and the flavor on that tank but the very end of a puff on it seems to punch me in the back of the throat and he's running low wattage for the coil.

I'm a huge fan of Kanger. However, I really like the Crown for flavor and ease of use. And the coils I've used on the Crown, excellent lifespan.

For cost, ease of use, and flavor. The Crown will always get a vote from me.

PS, recommended wattage is just that. Recommended. Your sweet spot could be higher, or lower.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Try putting a drop of the juice on your finger and tasting it to see if the juice tastes burnt to you. If not, it's the rig, not the juice.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best thing you could do is remove your Tron tank, put it in a drawer, and get a Crown tank, or Herakles Plus. Joyetech made a great device with the VTC Mini, but their coils (CL/CLR) are just not that good. :poop:
And you think this is helping out to solve a problem?

Tron is a great tank with great flavor. One of the best flavor tanks. The one ohm, .5 and the NI .2 and NI.25 all came in black for a long time so you have to read the coil to see what they actually are. Set on Temperature Control, the watts are how fast it heats it up to temperature. I would set that at 40. With the coil cold lock in your coil resistance so it does not flip around and cause coil to burn up. At 60 watts on a .2 coil is different than 60 watts on a .3 coil. Check out Utube on rebuilding the CL coils as they are one of the easiest stock coils to rebuild on the market. Hope this helps. Cheers!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ditto on the above. You have to be sure to a) lock in your resistance, and b) turn the settings to titanium if you've switched from nickel.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And you think this is helping out to solve a problem?

Tron is a great tank with great flavor. One of the best flavor tanks. The one ohm, .5 and the NI .2 and NI.25 all came in black for a long time so you have to read the coil to see what they actually are. Set on Temperature Control, the watts are how fast it heats it up to temperature. I would set that at 40. With the coil cold lock in your coil resistance so it does not flip around and cause coil to burn up. At 60 watts on a .2 coil is different than 60 watts on a .3 coil. Check out Utube on rebuilding the CL coils as they are one of the easiest stock coils to rebuild on the market. Hope this helps. Cheers!
In fact, I guarantee it will solve his problem. Joyetech should stick to mods. Maybe they can redeem themselves with the Notch coil, but we will see...

Froggie1rw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU!!! :)

I have the evic etc mini with a cubis tank on it and love that setup. I use ss316 .5 ohm coils in it. The ss316 will last at least 2 weeks unless I am using a dark juice, then they seem to clog up a little faster but will still last a week. I hated the tron tank that came with the mini and the heads, seemed they died very quickly. It seemed to me that the heads for the tron could not handle the 70v/30p ratio very well at all, 60v/40p it seemed to handle ok. I use max vg in all of my tanks. I hope this helps. :luck:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dont know if I can add anything here, but if your juice is tasting fine or a couple hours then gross, it might just be the nature of the juice.

Some juices are delicious but malicious to your atomizer. Is it a dark, sweet or bakery type? Thick and sweet or NET will fowl things up.

You might have to look at another liquid or if you love it ( like I love my NETs) you either have to realize that youre gonna have to change out coils AND rinse the tank every few mls.

Ive resigned myself to having to use my NET on a couple drippers and leaving the tanks to cleaner flavors.

I hope you figure it out.

I'm still experimenting. I'm thinking it might be wicking poorly enough to burn the cotton. The juice is very sweet, too much for my taste as I've found after a few days with it. I'm thinking about going down tomorrow and picking up one new flavor and a decent size bottle of the one that worked well with a higher percentage of PG. I'm thinking maybe going 50/50. I can't keep burning through coils like this or I'll go bankrupt. The only thing that has changed is the liquid and new coils, and the nickel coil that came with the thing was fine. The titanium coil that came with it was fine until this liquid went through it, so I'm leaning more toward the liquid either not being able to be absorbed as well by the wick or the sweetness dirtying the thing up. Who knows, maybe in a 60/40 or a 50/50 this juice would be fine, but I'm leaning toward the juice being the culprit here. I'll go back to the bourbon flavor and maybe try a not too sweet tobacco flavor.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the :vu: and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Don't be Tim Taylor and be More Power! Start out lower and gradually crank it up don't just floor it!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you lock in the new nickel coil? Like with the tank off, go into the menu and unlock resistance, fire without the tank on, put the tank on and fire it for just a second and then 3 quick clicks to get back into the menu and lock in the resistance.

That just seems to be the dance you need to do with joyetech chips. If changing to a higher resistance chip from the last one it will ask if it's a new coil. Same or lower than the last, it won't ask but you need to fire with tank off and then for a second with it back on to get a fresh lock.

VU Sponsors