Become a Patron!

Over priced cotton balls

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do you see it? One of these, isn't a cotton ball. One actually cost as much as an entire bag of cotton balls.

image.jpg image.jpg

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
No clue.

I do know I've read that cotton balls tend to taste of the cotton for quite some time and don't make for very robust wicking. Neither the wicking incl. with my OBS Crius, Native Wicks nor the Japanese organic cotton I bought did that, and none of them fried, despite my abusing them all.

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
Would the real cotton ball please stand up... please stand up :)
Eminem Slim Shady reference... No cotton ball bashing here :D

Last edited:

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As this appears to be a product shaming thread I'll guess one is Cotton Bacon.
Never used it... just a guess.

Can't say I like the discoloration on the top example. I've never unrolled a cotton ball, but the creases make me think that's what that one is. That's rather offputting.

You appear to be the only one paying attention lol

Yes, there is some discoloration on the top strip. Caused by heating it in the oven to speed the drying process. No, I'm not using it.

For the FanBoys
The top is an unrolled cotton ball, after boiling and being dried in an oven.
The bottom is Cotton Bacon Bits.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty much in the field of thought that cotton is cotton. Got some Japanese cotton that everyone likes to say is better than my bag of cotton balls from Walgreen's, honestly I don't take much away from the Japanese cotton experience that makes me prefer one over the other. It's good. It's fine, it wicks and vapes and doesn't add any discernible taste or texture or whatever - it's cotton.

I've got some of that Bacon cotton en route at this moment.

Why?

Because it was four dollars, and I had a cart of over $70 ready for clickin'. I'm not worried about four dollars, and I can't rightly say it's "no big deal" without trying it. It isn't going to be worse than regular cotton balls after all, and I've already got a lifetime supply of that stuff sitting in a drawer. Same reason I bought the pads of Japanese cotton, because it was cheap enough and I wanted to try it. Next year someone will come up with another cotton-related gimmick and sell it for four or five bucks and everyone will be split on it and I'll get some (because curiosity) and I'll wick, vape and go "yeah that's... normal." It'll go in the drawer and get used sporadically just like all the rest of it.

I absolutely understand user specific preferences - absolutely. I prefer Ginger Ale over Coke or Pepsi, I prefer this truck manufacturer over that. I get that. In fact, I will say that buying cotton in padded sheets (the japanese stuff) makes it nice and easy to use scissors and cut nice, straight wicks to shape and size I want - that's fun.

OP's pic pretty much puts out there spot on - it's cotton. Looks the same, feels the same, but to me it's all cotton. It's priced more, because of the gimmick attached to it, but it's just... more cotton to add to the collection of wicking materials I already have.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah Love this post Cotton is Cotton! I have had an epiphany next up Ejuice is Ejuice.. A Mod is a Mod or maybe its not?

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all preference, but if you're making the argument that a $30 bottle of juice is any different than just VG/PG, nic and some flavorings in the proper amounts...

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm pretty much in the field of thought that cotton is cotton. Got some Japanese cotton that everyone likes to say is better than my bag of cotton balls from Walgreen's, honestly I don't take much away from the Japanese cotton experience that makes me prefer one over the other. It's good. It's fine, it wicks and vapes and doesn't add any discernible taste or texture or whatever - it's cotton.

I've got some of that Bacon cotton en route at this moment.

Why?

Because it was four dollars, and I had a cart of over $70 ready for clickin'. I'm not worried about four dollars, and I can't rightly say it's "no big deal" without trying it. It isn't going to be worse than regular cotton balls after all, and I've already got a lifetime supply of that stuff sitting in a drawer. Same reason I bought the pads of Japanese cotton, because it was cheap enough and I wanted to try it. Next year someone will come up with another cotton-related gimmick and sell it for four or five bucks and everyone will be split on it and I'll get some (because curiosity) and I'll wick, vape and go "yeah that's... normal." It'll go in the drawer and get used sporadically just like all the rest of it.

I absolutely understand user specific preferences - absolutely. I prefer Ginger Ale over Coke or Pepsi, I prefer this truck manufacturer over that. I get that. In fact, I will say that buying cotton in padded sheets (the japanese stuff) makes it nice and easy to use scissors and cut nice, straight wicks to shape and size I want - that's fun.

OP's pic pretty much puts out there spot on - it's cotton. Looks the same, feels the same, but to me it's all cotton. It's priced more, because of the gimmick attached to it, but it's just... more cotton to add to the collection of wicking materials I already have.

I'm actually having great results with Wicked Cotton. But I'll add that I do not believe them for one minute when they say it's 100% organic.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah Love this post Cotton is Cotton! I have had an epiphany next up Ejuice is Ejuice.. A Mod is a Mod or maybe its not?

Actually, that's not what this post is about at all.

It's about how easy it is to get your @$$ ripped off by some scrupulous POS who makes ridiculous claims about products they hope you don't know anything about. If I want 100% pure cotton, all have have to do is walk down the hill and pick some.

And you can bet your ass, it won't be in a strip as shown in the photos.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually, that's not what this post is about at all.

It's about how easy it is to get your @$$ ripped off by some scrupulous POS who makes ridiculous claims about products they hope you don't know anything about. If I want 100% pure cotton, all have have to do is walk down the hill and pick some.

And you can bet your ass, it won't be in a strip as shown in the photos.
I have the farmer down the street has so much cotton I have picked it I have bought balls I have bought Japanese and currently using Cotton Bacon and Cotton is Cotton the question for me is @PuffPuffPass @PuffPuffPass maybe we have been ripped off with a substandard version?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cotton bacon is my favorite I like da way the bag looks. It's pretty

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

msrfrog

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That would be some tough times. Wouldnt have to worry about your RDA leaking though...
The more I think about it I'm thinking tampax might just be the premium cotton wicking! Off to the bathroom closet

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The more I think about it I'm thinking tampax might just be the premium cotton wicking! Off to the bathroom closet

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Thats not funny I have vaped Sanitary Napkins and yes that works to..

VU Sponsors