Become a Patron!

Overheard in the smoking section...

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I had a few run-ins with smokers and others over the weekend, so I thought it would be fun to have a thread to share war stories.

STORY #1: I was at an outdoor outlet mall shopping with the wife, and was waiting for her on a bench while she shopped inside one of the stores. One of those over-perky, over-blonde mall reps came over to me and asked if I was smoking pot.

STORY #2: Stepped outside with the smokers @ my wife's family get together, and a couple of the smokers started asking questions/making ill-informed statements about vaping:
  • (Pointing at my 134 mini) "Izzat one of them humidifiers?"
  • "I heard you can OD on nicotine from using those."
  • "I heard you can liquefy weed and smoke it."

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Story 1:
Well, were you? :D

Story 2:
They were correct on that last one ;)

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Well, were you? :D
Nope, haven't touched the stuff since college!

I should've also mentioned that right after she asked, she asks, "Oh...is that coconut?" I was vaping my new Five Pawns Castle Long.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was at the mall with my lady last weekend, doing some Christmas shopping as well, while sitting in the parking garage waiting for her to finish in one of the stores, a cop drove up to me, got out of the car and walks up staring at my mod...then says, is that a Vanilla Mod?? I said yes but I customized it to my liking, he asked how to do it, we talked for around ten minutes as I told him how to patina the mod as he took notes....Score one for the Vapors! On a side note, he was an extremely nice guy, didn't even look at my neck or head tattoos once!

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was at the mall with my lady last weekend, doing some Christmas shopping as well, while sitting in the parking garage waiting for her to finish in one of the stores, a cop drove up to me, got out of the car and walks up staring at my mod...then says, is that a Vanilla Mod?? I said yes but I customized it to my liking, he asked how to do it, we talked for around ten minutes as I told him how to patina the mod as he took notes....Score one for the Vapors! On a side note, he was an extremely nice guy, didn't even look at my neck or head tattoos once!

Well that story turned out MUCH better than I expected from when I started reading it :)

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Boom, and yeah Crusader, every time I see cops walking towards me I get nervous lol.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Friend of friend as we take an outside smoke break at Thanksgiving: "You're smoking antifreeze!"

Next year at same Thanksgiving gathering, friend's nephew: "All you guys do that." Me: "What do you mean 'you guys'?"

"You, you, you VAPERS!!!"

Bplus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Friend of friend as we take an outside smoke break at Thanksgiving: "You're smoking antifreeze!"

Next year at same Thanksgiving gathering, friend's nephew: "All you guys do that." Me: "What do you mean 'you guys'?"

"You, you, you VAPERS!!!"

Not to derail this thread but how do you all deal with statements like that? Because it happens a lot. I get a ton of the it's worse than smoking comments. No one says anything if you're smoking. Comments fly if you're vaping. I'm not talking indoors in a regulated place either.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not to derail this thread but how do you all deal with statements like that? Because it happens a lot. I get a ton of the it's worse than smoking comments. No one says anything if you're smoking. Comments fly if you're vaping. I'm not talking indoors in a regulated place either.
Something like, "Really? You sure about that?" That's usually enough.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I always get mauled with "that smells so good".. i guess i stick around a lot of vapers ;)
hey can i get a pull of that?? umm no.. :D

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Boom, and yeah Crusader, every time I see cops walking towards me I get nervous lol.
you and me both bud.. especially the ones in my hometown.. they still think I'm the 16yr old delinquent who used to give them problems lol.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I ask them to quote the source of their 'information'.. it ususally ends with Huffington Post lol.. that's about the time when I walk away

Bplus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ask them to quote the source of their 'information'.. it ususally ends with Huffington Post lol.. that's about the time when I walk away
Or Fox News, or Dr Oz, insert whatever else here. For the most part I shrug it off as well. Every now and again I get a little seepage and wonder. But without proof it really means nothing.
I also do get the wow that smells really good comments too. It's just not nearly as frequent.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Or Fox News, or Dr Oz, insert whatever else here. For the most part I shrug it off as well. Every now and again I get a little seepage and wonder. But without proof it really means nothing.
I also do get the wow that smells really good comments too. It's just not nearly as frequent.

Yea its a lot better at my work now since have about 15-20 people converted over to vaping so the looks/misinformation have subsided for now.. I did hear they added something in the handbook about us vaping inside but that doesn't stop me.. I'm clearly the rebel of the office :)

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We get stuck in a converted bus stop to vape with the smokers at work in the bad weather.

A stinkie-smoking lady walked in the hut (all fogged out by me) and said in a tone reminiscent of Roz from Monsters, Inc "Oh my gaaawd, how can you do that?" <cough, cough> <fan, fan>

SERIOUSLY?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually give them my very well-practiced weary chuckle and point out that smoking has killed millions of people, vaping- zero.
For the ones that comment about battery safety, I simply ask them how wise is it to hold a plastic cylinder of extremely flammable gas up to their face and ignite it?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"That thing doesn't look legal"

As for the safety questions/comments I say, "I don't know" then look them in the eye and take another hit. Conversation over.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"I can't believe the clouds you guys can blow with those things"
"How do you inhale so much vapor from those things?"
"That smells good"

One stubborn heavy smoker that a few of us have been trying to convert: "those are worse then cigarettes", yet he can't provide any real source of this info besides "the internet". Trying to explain that it's far healthier is just met with him saying "uh huh, if you say so" as he buries his head in cell phone games.

Normal excuse from a few people who have been (unsuccessfully) trying to quit smoking at work: "You don't know the long term health risks"

When I first started vaping, "Now you got an electric hookah too?"

Was walking in the park vaping with a small ego stick and some hippy looking guy with his girl friend walked past me and I overhead the guy call me "H R Puff in Stuff"

T

Taver13

i was at a meeting, im sure some of you know what im talking about, and i was smoking my smpl mod with my mutation on it, and some bonehead says "hey is that a crackpipe?" to which i responded, "yes, im smoking crack outside a meeting" seriously some people are just that stupid.

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i was at a meeting, im sure some of you know what im talking about, and i was smoking my smpl mod with my mutation on it, and some bonehead says "hey is that a crackpipe?" to which i responded, "yes, im smoking crack outside a meeting" seriously some people are just that stupid.
Explains the connection we made, beyond vape stuff, keep it up bro, 3plusyears here....

martin

Member For 4 Years
ask the fuckwits do they know that one of the main ingredients in their toothpaste
is also one of the main ingredients in rat poison

nogalesvape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I challenged the last coworker that said that vaping was worse than analogs(mind he says this while lighting up) to race me across the parking lot . Its funny how even after he caught his breath he never mentioned it again

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a few run-ins with smokers and others over the weekend, so I thought it would be fun to have a thread to share war stories.

STORY #1: I was at an outdoor outlet mall shopping with the wife, and was waiting for her on a bench while she shopped inside one of the stores. One of those over-perky, over-blonde mall reps came over to me and asked if I was smoking pot.

STORY #2: Stepped outside with the smokers @ my wife's family get together, and a couple of the smokers started asking questions/making ill-informed statements about vaping:
  • (Pointing at my 134 mini) "Izzat one of them humidifiers?"
  • "I heard you can OD on nicotine from using those."
  • "I heard you can liquefy weed and smoke it."

My answer to #1 (I love the looks I get when I say this) - "No. No pot in here. I prefer to taste the actual burnt leaf when I get stoned so I still do that the regular way.". I have said this to cops, old folks, young kids, family, everyone...

Not to derail this thread but how do you all deal with statements like that?

I tell them, "I know. Vodka is actually a better antifreeze, but its just too damn expensive to vape."

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to enjoy educating the curious. Now I find it annoying because most of the comments and questions are just plain stupid. And it is hard to weed them out on their approach. So I tend to just avoid the initial contact. Hate to have to be like that but the media and has made people this way.

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is actually a split at my job. A lot of people that vape (almost half) and the regular smokers. Most of the regular ones just say they prefer smoking a real cig. No problem.

Then you get people who Crack jokes or ask weird questions with a weird look on thier face. "why are you smoking that?" favorite joke was "you look like you're smoking a peace pipe!"

The debating questions and statements do irk me. As soon as someone starts a sentence off with "Did you know...." (ahhhhhh fuck here we go)

nogalesvape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
3t31xd.jpg

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL! It's been my experience that there truly are alot more good cops than bad.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
old topic bump.

From a cig smoker talking about the people vaping:
"I only smoke cigarettes because god gave us tobacco"

Guess she thinks the hundreds of aded chemicals are ok in cigs.

T

Taver13

old topic bump.

From a cig smoker talking about the people vaping:
"I only smoke cigarettes because god gave us tobacco"

Guess she thinks the hundreds of aded chemicals are ok in cigs.
im surprised she didnt extrapolate with "god made man who made the chemecials added to stinkies, so its ok" thats always a classic argument

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Beat this: There's a guy at work that loves to tell me about how batteries are exploding everywhere, vaping is gonna be banned next month, etc.

The other day, outta nowhere, he tells me that e-juice causes cancer. Whatever, dude. He then goes on to say that ONE HIT off a vaporizer gives you cancer AUTOMATICALLY. That the first hit starts cancer cells growing.

I tol him that I DIY and don't use cheap chinese juice. He says, "Doesn't matter. ALL juice gives you cancer automatically." I told him I'd look into that, and walked away laughing!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Beat this: There's a guy at work that loves to tell me about how batteries are exploding everywhere, vaping is gonna be banned next month, etc.

The other day, outta nowhere, he tells me that e-juice causes cancer. Whatever, dude. He then goes on to say that ONE HIT off a vaporizer gives you cancer AUTOMATICALLY. That the first hit starts cancer cells growing.

I tol him that I DIY and don't use cheap chinese juice. He says, "Doesn't matter. ALL juice gives you cancer automatically." I told him I'd look into that, and walked away laughing!
Should have replied stupid comments are a sign of undiagnosed CJD.

VU Sponsors