Become a Patron!

Overwhelmed by Pod System Choices. Help?

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm so overwhelmed by all the pod system choices I almost don't want to bother, but I kind of NEED one. I fell asleep last night with my Dead Rabbit freshly squonked. My gf DID NOT appreciate the brown stain on the $500 duvet cover (fuck me!)...

So my experience is very limited. I have a JUUL and my gf has a Smok Infinix. I far prefer the draw of the Infinix. If you guys could help me narrow down my search I'd appreciate it. If I can't decide I'll just get another Infinix.

Battery matters.

I prefer direct lung hits.

I kind of like weird shapes.

Lightweight is great.

Absolutely must be refillable.

I don't mind refilling once or twice a day, but anymore is inconvenient.

Not sure if it matters, but I'll be using 50mg nic salts. (If I ever find time to finish my Lost Coast eliquid review you'll know why!).

I'm not crazy about wild colors, but a nice blue, green, gunmetal or especially white would be okay. LED's are cool.

Anything I'm not considering throw out there!

Lastly, anyone tried that DNA pod system? Are there any new ones coming out?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really considered the Orion but I don't care for the form factor. It's too much like any number of mods that I already own. I'm curious to see what the next DNA pods look like though.

The bottom line was really leak resistance (and simplicity).

Living in a new city (I move around a LOT) I hadn't had a chance to visit the local brick and mortars. I did a quick check last night and I was surprised to see that the highest rated shop closed at midnight. On Sunday. So I called em up and they had at least a dozen pod systems. When I went in I was really impressed by all the mechs and oddball devices. Not just that, they had far and away the largest selection of juice I've ever seen, and I've been to a great number of shops. May be the best shop I've been to over all of the shops in LA, Venice, Hollywood, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Salinas, Fresno, Tucson, Phoenix, and most of the stores in between.

In the end I went with the device the shop owner was using. The Aspire Spryte. I believe it covers everything on my wanted list. I wish the 650mAh battery (apparently underrated with a real world capacity around 750mAh) was a bit closer to 1000mAh, but it would be that much larger and heavier. I'm undecided on the button fire rather than a draw/fire more typical of pod systems, but I don't really know that I'd consider this a "pod" system anyway due to the above mentioned fire method as well as the use of Aspire BVC coils. Those coils may have been the deciding factor because I think it's brilliant to continue using such a widely available disposable part. The fact that it includes a nic salt coil as well as a freebase nic coil is really interesting to me. Not sure if it's a gimmick yet or not, but in any case, the device (and especially the obvious coils) just FEELS like innovation using off the shelf components in a new way. Doesn't feel at all like how GM (and I know I'm dating myself here) used the same fuckin door handles and button locks in the interior of many of their cars for what seemed like decades. No, in this case the coils work so well, in my opinion, because you can reeeeally dial in your airflow for a PROPER mtl, OR a, just as proper, dl hit. I've not seen that anywhere else (although I'm sure they're out there, of course). The final thing is that the taste is actually pretty fantastic. I'll admit, I've only used Lost Coast (nic salt) Ice and Sour, but the flavor is on par with my beloved Dead Rabbit RDA. Oh, damn, I forgot the price! Pocket change.

I didn't intend to border on reviewing the Spryte here, but on the off chance someone stumbles across this and felt similarly overwhelmed then I figured I'd say a few things about what I settled on. It's not perfect by any means. It's kinda ugly(ish), it's a fuckin tip-over device (like really? Why tf didn't they just make the bottom flat?!), getting the contacts to er... contact the base took a little fiddling, the cap is useless because it just falls off (at least on mine) and it could use just a tad more battery, but the positives far outweigh any subjective negatives.

:)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You don't need to go with a POD system for leak proof tanks. Almost any tank will provide leak proof vaping if it is properly used. Don't Squonk in bed.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh I realize those things. I wanted a pod system. I have a lot of atomizers, mostly rda's, but I have a few tanks as well. Leak resistance was the primary concern, but I wanted a pod system that met my other considerations as well.

Don't squonk in bed. Well, yes... and the sky is blue. It's unimportant to anyone but me, but I take a medication that puts me to sleep. Sometimes abruptly. Because of this I sometimes fall asleep with my vape. Not vaping in bed is unnecessary since the solution was out there.

Part of my edc kit now. In fact, my beat up (but beloved and reliable af) old 528 Squonker might just get a little rest.
e20697e10c31e6bd9f84f7689e5e1f8b.jpg

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Leak resistance was the primary concern, but I wanted a pod system that met my other considerations as well.

My experience with POD Systems was they leak also because nothing is fool proof. Fall asleep with my MOD's all the time and never have any leaks from the Nautilus Mini or X to the Sub Ohm Rafale or Pangu. Just a thought

JSpring

Member For 3 Years
I have quite a few of these pods systems and I really like some of them. Always looking for a new one; does anybody know about the Voopoo Panda? opinions?

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have several and most suck balls. I do own the Orion and it is the only one I use anymore when I’m out and about. Love it. But then again most of my regular mods are also DNAs so I may be biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have and use my LV Orion daily when out and about doing errands- I have been using Sept. 9th and all is working great for me. I use the .5Ω pods and still on my 1st pod. I use 1922( fruit punch koolada) by The SauceLA in 3 nic. 20pg/80vg. The Orion is not my main mod- I only use it when going out.
My hubby uses the Joyetech Penguin, I just bought him a 2nd one after the 1st one died after a year, he is a journeyman pipefitter/welder so he is rough with stuff. Long lasting battery and 8ml refillable tank and you can change the coil.Gets him through a day at work.
He had the original Penguin 1st and bought him the SE version and likes that one much better!

VU Sponsors