Become a Patron!

Overwhelmed

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey! New here and I signed up because I'm overwhelmed. I've been looking into e cigs and vaporizers for a while and I'm getting more and more confused. I'm sure it's all relatively simple once you get used to it, but for now it isn't! So here's what I need to know:

I want to quit smoking (pack a day) and eventually work my way down to not even vaping. I also want a device made of the highest quality ingredients-can't find solid answers on which materials those need to be. And I want the liquid to be super clean and made/sourced in USA. I'm not going to be picky about size/weight/looks/price etc. of the e cig or vaporizer. I've also heard talk about PG free liquids. Why? And where can I find them if that is recommended?

So, someone please tell me which one I need to buy, where I can find the highest quality liquid, and what ratios I should start with. The more I look, the more questions I have. I'm ok with working out the other preferences later. I just want to quit smoking now! Should I just pop into a vape shop or is that not always a reliable source?

Thanks a bunch!!!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What kind of budget are you willing to shell out for vaping?
The new starter kits are hands down a billionity times better than the old vapers could ever dream about getting.
The Subox kit from Kanger is damned solid, simple and performs like a champ. 45-50 bucks. A few batteries 5ish a pop and a charger 20-40 bucks.. so for about 100 you can get a rocking set up.
The VTC starter kits about 50ish, temp control and wattage performs like a godly little machine also. Has an internal battery so no added batteries and charger.

For juice you can go max vg. both of those set ups above you would be looking at 3-6mg of nic due to their performance.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome! I second BigNasty's recommendation for the subbox or something similar. For juice you might do better to start with a 50/50 mix, because your taste buds are likely going to take some time to recover. Best bet here is to go along to a local vape shop and sample some of their juice to see what you like. Don't be afraid to start higher rather than lower in nicotine. If you don't get enough you'll still want to smoke, but if you get too much you'll feel nauseous. How long did you smoke for?

I agree the Kanger Subbox kit is perfect for new vapers. As far as juice there are basically two kinds. There are premiums and house juice. Premium juice should be made in a clean facility are some are sold nationwide. Most tend to be fairly regional. House juice is made at your local vape shop. Personally I would stick with premiums. There is a maker called Natur that uses only organic ingredients if you want to take it that far. I know my local vape shop peoples so I vape both premium and house. Hope that helps. Oh I quit smoking 6 months ago. Keep at it!

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to VU...I'm sure you are confused about starting out. I read about how the veteran vapers say how good newbies have it...I kind of disagree. I think with all the variables it is harder for these new people that just want an easy clear answer how to get started. I've been vaping for over five years. When I started we had only a few choices for the device to use and for where to buy your liquids. It was kind of easy to get a simple answer back then...Depending on how many shops you have in your area, that may be your best plan of action...However, be very aware that not all shops are created equal. Some, and I'd like to think all, will have YOUR best interest in mind, others may not...This forum and other forums are filled with veterans that have turned vaping in to a hobby. I am one of them. We are passionate, and will bend over backwards to help you get started. BUT, if you ask a hundred vapers a question, you'll get a hundred different answers...My suggestion would be for you to keep reading, and learning the vapers language. We use words like sub ohm, Mouth to lung(MTL), tanks, clearo, etc. You will learn as you go, but learn as much as you can before you make any purchase. I could make suggestions for you, but it sounds like you need more time to learn... Keep us informed about any questions you may have. Make a post about what device you are looking to buy before you buy. That way we can tell you if it's a beginner device or advanced. I wish you luck.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello, and welcome to VU. I suggest an all in one kit with the battery. tank, charger, and coils all in one package with simple and easy to understand instructions. A couple that I have personally looked at/tried in person is the Innokin Endura T-18 ($29.00) for MTL vaping, and the Kangertech Subvod ($29.00 also) for direct lung hits. Maybe you could go down to your local vape shop and get an up close and personal look at some of the options available. Finding a juice you like is going to take some time, but it will be worth it. Good luck.

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you guys a ton! Right after I posted this I decided I couldn't stand the suspense any longer and went to a vape shop. I tried a few different ones and could definitely tell how much I liked some and not others. I really liked the mini iStick by MyVapors. Good? I tried a few of the flavors there too and liked them but I don't have much to compare to at this point. I asked the guy if they were clean, only containing PG, vegetable glycerin and nicotine and he said all the ones they carried were that way and made and sourced (except tobacco in some are sourced in Italy) in USA. The flavors I liked were the following brands: F1 (drip this vape), SXR (smoke crossroads), and Hezeh (? Hard to read. Fusion 1 labs.). I can't tell if the first names are the brands or lines but what I put in parenthesis were the websites on the bottles.

Great to know that there are organic options out there too. Everything we eat and use is organic if possible. I'm a nut about locally sourced, naturally grown/made, and organic products. Smoking cigs has no place in my life but I just can't seem to quit and stay quit!! I've been smoking on and off since I was 9 (truly started when I was 14) so that's 21 years of smoking being a part of my life. It's always been something that I identified with, even if that sounds silly, and something that connects me to the "old" me. The bad girl who skipped school and defied all authority. Now I'm a stay at home mom who is an avid gardener, homeschooler, and almost homesteader. So smoking feels like a piece of me that will be hard to let go of, no matter how much I love my life now. So there's the psychology behind it ;)

So if the one I'm looking at isn't any of your recommendations I will check out the ones yall have mentioned. If it is, then I'm getting it ASAP!! How much do you vape at one time to get a cigarettes worth, assuming I get the 18mg and have it on the lowest settings to begin with?

I'm glad I decided to post. You guys seems like a great bunch. I may get into this as a hobby just to join such a nice group of people!

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What kind of budget are you willing to shell out for vaping?
The new starter kits are hands down a billionity times better than the old vapers could ever dream about getting.
The Subox kit from Kanger is damned solid, simple and performs like a champ. 45-50 bucks. A few batteries 5ish a pop and a charger 20-40 bucks.. so for about 100 you can get a rocking set up.
The VTC starter kits about 50ish, temp control and wattage performs like a godly little machine also. Has an internal battery so no added batteries and charger.

For juice you can go max vg. both of those set ups above you would be looking at 3-6mg of nic due to their performance.

I'm willing to pay what I need to pay to get something that will help me quit! Those sound great! I'll do some reading on them! Easily found in vape shops or online mainly?

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't want to overwhelm you with jargon, etc, but if your going to vape 18 mg nic, I would stick to a mtl tank with a coil over 1.2 ohm's. If you try a subohm tank (.5, .25) it's going to be too strong/harsh at that nic level. Higher the ohm coil, the higher your nic level can go and vice versa for a pleasurable vape experience. I personally use 18 mg in a Nautilus Mini tank with a 1.8 ohm coil at work. Works great. You can find most devices and tanks online and in the vape stores, but usually much cheaper online.

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't want to overwhelm you with jargon, etc, but if your going to vape 18 mg nic, I would stick to a mtl tank with a coil over 1.2 ohm's. If you try a subohm tank (.5, .25) it's going to be too strong/harsh at that nic level. Higher the ohm coil, the higher your nic level can go and vice versa for a pleasurable vape experience. I personally use 18 mg in a Nautilus Mini tank with a 1.8 ohm coil at work. Works great. You can find most devices and tanks online and in the vape stores, but usually much cheaper online.

I'll google what I don't understand ;) So is the one I'm looking at a subohm tank? I've tried something similar to this iStick that a friend had and I did notice a raw scratchy feeling at the back of my throat. Is that what you mean by too harsh? I'll look the nautilus up. I know I said I wouldn't be picky about size but after looking at how bulky these guys can get, "mini" sounds great. How much do you smoke at one time? Or just take hits here and there? I tend to chain smoke cigs because I don't often find time to smoke with a toddler around. So I'm thinking I'll be a little gun shy on how much to hit this sucker.

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Totally agree^^^^. The Nautilus mini is, IMO, perfect for you. Great mouth-to-lung hit(how most of us smokers smoke) and you can do a little higher nic content without making yourself sick. I've been vaping for 4 years and started with a cig-alike and never touched another cigarette. Now I'm using box mods and use my Nautilus tanks almost exclusively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you tried to direct lung hit 18 mg of nic on a subohm tank, you would know it! I did not see which tank you were using, but some newer tanks can accommodate coils from .2 .5 (sub ohm) and also 1.2, 1.8 etc. ohm coils. again, it depends on how you vape (mtl, direct lung inhale) will dictate the coil you should use.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@marilyngurl22 you've been given some real good advice so far...My recommendation for newer vapers has changed recently.
For less than $30 you can get started almost right away.
http://sweet-vapes.com/apvs/eleaf-istick-57/basic/eleaf-istick-basic.html
The only other thing you'll need is e-liquid I recommend 12mg and no higher as for the PG/VG start at 50/50 unless you know for sure you have a PG allergy/sensitivity.
I was a 2 PaD smoker and 18mg was just right for me when I started.

Anyhow good luck and welcome to the Crew.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
+1 for istick basic

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Not sure of their juice-line I've heard of them but have never tried it.
I'll leave the decision up to the OP.

I totally agree that it is a decision to be made by the OP. My wife and I order from them regularly, and are very pleased with their juices. Their RY4Life juice is one of the main juices that has helped to keep her off the stinkies. She is very picky about flavors!!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm willing to pay what I need to pay to get something that will help me quit! Those sound great! I'll do some reading on them! Easily found in vape shops or online mainly?
Both actually.
But you will pay a ton higher in a brick and mortar.
my go to shops for gear in the states are.
101vape.com
Vapenw.com
Vapordna.com
originvape

For juices there really are two kinds. Stuff you will pay out the nose for and stuff that is just damned good.
http://doodlebugsejuice-com.3dcartstores.com/ makes some damned fine premium tasting juice. If you crave snicker doodle without the added ass worries this is close to my grand mother's recipe as I have found.
http://verdevalleyvapes.com/ not personally used them but hear good things.
Oh forgot
http://vaping.watch/eliquid the no frills mls are a good deal also.

For more money but knock out.
DIYflavorshack has some amazing flavors. Dawn, who owns it is a long time vaper and one of the first juices I bought back in 09.
Juice mafia is damned good they make a ry4 that will knock your socks off.

More money.
Mystic river, the couple I have tried I really did enjoy.

Oh and for batteries I only use one place now.
http://liionwholesale.com/

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
These little guys from Kangertech are awesome. They're REALLY good for people who are just starting out. Its just a simple one button operation and these tanks fill from the top. No batteries to mess with-it just charges with a usb cable. Super simple and really dependable. We sell em at the shop i work at and we have not had anyone come back unhappy in the month we've had em. And they work great with any juice-no matter what pg/vg ratio. The good thing about Kangertech is that all their parts are widely available. You can walk into nearly any shop or go on any website and find coils for them. Good luck on the switch!!!
866f9082a768c5e48ac14f9b7c854214.jpg

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
These little guys from Kangertech are awesome. They're REALLY good for people who are just starting out. Its just a simple one button operation and these tanks fill from the top. Super simple and really dependable. We sell em at the shop i work at and we have not had anyone come back unhappy in the month we've had em. And they work great with any juice-no matter what pg/vg ratio. The good thing about Kangertech is that all their parts are widely available. You can walk into nearly any shop or go on any website and find coils for them. Good luck on the switch!!!
866f9082a768c5e48ac14f9b7c854214.jpg
Subvod or subox both are damned good.
Mom vapes and at 63 remotes fuck her up.. so the worry the subox would foul her up were eased. She loves it, the tank is easy enough for her to fill up and the battery charger does not confound her. Helps she has red batteries now to tell the difference.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mom vapes and at 63 remotes fuck her up.. so the worry the subox would foul her up were eased. She loves it, the tank is easy enough for her to fill up and the battery charger does not confound her. Helps she has red batteries now to tell the difference.
You're a good son BigNasty....

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Good to hear! They now sell the top-fill subtank nanos separately as well. Its nice to have a high-quality starter kit to recommend. People who are making the switch now have such a great range of high-quality/low-price options :D

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I couldn't take the wait another day and went back into the shop. They didn't have the Kanger or Nautilus in stock so I went with the iStick mini 20w. Eleaf GS air tank. I got the three different juices I mentioned earlier, one in 18mg and two in 12mg. One is 70/30 and the rest are 50/50. I've done some more reading today and I do want to try a 100% VG (max VG, is that the lingo?). The 18mg juice hurt the back of my throat so I tried the 12 and that's much better. I have everything on the lowest settings because I'm still unclear what upping the settings do. I plan to play with it. The one problem I'm finding already is that this thing pops and crackles if I draw on it hard or for more than 2 seconds. Sometimes even seems to pop in my mouth. Not sure if that's normal but it doesn't feel right.

I'm thinking about getting a Kanger or nautilus too though. And I think I'd like a smaller tank so I can switch out the juice more often. I find I'm already getting bored with the flavor. Maybe it's not the right juice. I can detect flavor but I'd prefer the flavor to be stronger. BUT! I haven't had a cigarette since 11:30 last night and I'm doing pretty well! I've had a few moments (by moments I mean I only became possessed and crazy and few times) today but this is going to do the trick for sure.

You guys got me on the right path, and though I may have jumped the gun on buying I'm glad I did. I already feel better. First day in three weeks I have cleared my throat constantly or felt tight in my chest. Y'all rock!!!

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Both actually.
But you will pay a ton higher in a brick and mortar.
my go to shops for gear in the states are.
101vape.com
Vapenw.com
Vapordna.com
originvape

For juices there really are two kinds. Stuff you will pay out the nose for and stuff that is just damned good.
http://doodlebugsejuice-com.3dcartstores.com/ makes some damned fine premium tasting juice. If you crave snicker doodle without the added ass worries this is close to my grand mother's recipe as I have found.
http://verdevalleyvapes.com/ not personally used them but hear good things.
Oh forgot
http://vaping.watch/eliquid the no frills mls are a good deal also.

For more money but knock out.
DIYflavorshack has some amazing flavors. Dawn, who owns it is a long time vaper and one of the first juices I bought back in 09.
Juice mafia is damned good they make a ry4 that will knock your socks off.

More money.
Mystic river, the couple I have tried I really did enjoy.

Oh and for batteries I only use one place now.
http://liionwholesale.com/

Snicker doodle!? Yes please!!!! Thanks for the tips. Knowing me, I'll buy way to dang much but at least I'll have options!

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I totally agree that it is a decision to be made by the OP. My wife and I order from them regularly, and are very pleased with their juices. Their RY4Life juice is one of the main juices that has helped to keep her off the stinkies. She is very picky about flavors!!

I'll try it then. So far, I think I can already tell I may be pickier than I thought I would be! Thanks!!

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Totally agree^^^^. The Nautilus mini is, IMO, perfect for you. Great mouth-to-lung hit(how most of us smokers smoke) and you can do a little higher nic content without making yourself sick. I've been vaping for 4 years and started with a cig-alike and never touched another cigarette. Now I'm using box mods and use my Nautilus tanks almost exclusively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What mg of nicotine do you recommend for this one? I was smoking a pack a day. In the one I got today, 12mg isn't rough on my throat but 18mg was. On this first day of not smoking I could use that 18mg!!

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats on your vape purchase. Again, your nic level depends on the ohm coil in your tank. On the Nautilus Mini, Id use 12 or 18 mg nic on the 1.8 ohm coil that comes with the tank. I think the average cig has around 20 mg of nicotine.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have everything on the lowest settings because I'm still unclear what upping the settings do. I plan to play with it. The one problem I'm finding already is that this thing pops and crackles if I draw on it hard or for more than 2 seconds. Sometimes even seems to pop in my mouth. Not sure if that's normal but it doesn't feel right.
Yep it's always a great idea to start at the lowest setting and work your way up to your happy place.
Lower setting = Cooler Thinner Vapor
Higher setting = Warmer Denser Vapor
I know that popping noise was 1 of the most irritating things I'd ever heard when I first started vaping.Now it's something I've come to love (It's Crackle Lacking).
Give your mod a real quick dry fire before you start vaping and it won't pop as much in your mouth...Cheers!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Glad to hear your enjoying vaping! The gs tank has a 1.5 ohm coil so 12mg nic is fine nic level is really a personal preference. That being said if you ever get into sub ohm tanks you'll want to drop your nic to 3-6mg. I've owned both kanger and nautilus tanks and i'd go with the kanger it has more options. But honestly i'd wait a little before you did you might be happy with what you got. Or you might decide that chucking clouds with a 60+ watt tank is more your style. Also 100% vg is more for dripers theres some tanks that can handle it but i doubt the gs could. But whatever you do stick with it and congrats!

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
What mg of nicotine do you recommend for this one? I was smoking a pack a day. In the one I got today, 12mg isn't rough on my throat but 18mg was. On this first day of not smoking I could use that 18mg!!
As a pack a day smoker, you probably shouldn't go over 12mg regularly. If you are using a sub-ohm tank, then you probably won't need more than 6mg tops because of the amount of vapor delivered in a single hit. I'll try to post more later to really clear it up, but have to run for now ...

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As a pack a day smoker, you probably shouldn't go over 12mg regularly. If you are using a sub-ohm tank, then you probably won't need more than 6mg tops because of the amount of vapor delivered in a single hit. I'll try to post more later to really clear it up, but have to run for now ...
^^^^^THIS^^^^^. When I first upgraded from cartos with filler in them to Nautilus tanks I stayed with the 16 mg nic I had been using for a couple years. It wasn't long before I started having awful heart palpitations, sweats, anxiety attacks, headaches. Thought my thyroid was messing up again so bad that checked and nope, wasn't that. Then the lightbulb went off. I backed down to 6mg and those symptoms disappeared in a couple days. These new tanks, the new technology.... I absolutely believe we get more of the nic out of our juices. Even though I don't subohm I still managed to overdose myself. I feel you should start at 6 in a subohm and I think you'll find that it's plenty. I know it doesn't sound like much but getting too much really sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I look at it this way, I vaped 24mg/ml in cartomizers and carto tanks, got a Kayfun rebuildable and quickly dropped to 12. Then when I got my first Nautilus tank, I dropped to 9. With my first Atlantis tank I dropped to 6, and now with a Triton and TFV4, I'm at 3. I use a dripper at 3mg/ml also.

It's about the volume of vapor vs nic content. with more vapor, and denser vapor you need to cut down on the nic, or getting nic sick is stupidly easy with the latest generation of Super Tanks we now have on the market.

I used to smoke Camel Straights (non filter) for 30+ years.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also depends on the battery/mod your using. Since I work in some pretty nasty conditions, I choose to use pen type batteries that only go up to 6V. I need to use 18mg nic to get a satisfying vape with a Nautilus Mini and a 1.8 coil. If you have a more powerful device, then you can get away with a lower nic level to still enjoy your vape. I wouldn't want to drop my Vapor Shark in sulfuric acid or lime. If I drop my Tesla Spider II, I just get another one...

mates.kaiser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a4f87dc621a3b0b0749d0b69d66162a3.jpg

Here is my growing collection.
My recommendations are :
Kanger subbox, evic vtc mini, vaporesso target. Subbox is Lil outdated in functions.

Odesláno z mého LG-D855 pomocí Tapatalk

Marilyn your so pretty. I would to help you. All you need is start off with a solid starter kit. Aspire is a really good brand. So is joyetech

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry for the absence. I think I will drop to 6mg. Even though I just ordered two more max VG 12mg. I'm learning that I do have the nic cravings throughout the day but one or two hits and I'm good. It's the lung hits I crave the most. Especially at night with my glass(es) of wine. I'm super stoked about how well I'm doing quitting cigs though. Have barely missed them. I do still crave the routine of going outside and watching my chickens while I smoke so I'm doing that but I haven't been tempted to smoke a cig once. Back to the dropping the mgs..I feel a bit of a buzz with a few hits of the 12 mg so dropping to 6 sounds like a good plan. Anywhere good to sell unopened bottles of juice ?

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Verde valley vapes is popular here. Also there's vapewild, mechsauce, white label and predator.

Just don't make my newbie misstep. I started with a cheap $20 piece of nothing, couldn't produce enough vapor and battery power to replace cigs. I went back to smoking for months until a friend said I needed a mid-level sub ohm rig. That did the trick, Aspire Pegasus then got an rx 200 which will vape 2 + days battery life running low wattage of 30. That did it for me and haven't looked back. As far as cost what is your health worth?

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a4f87dc621a3b0b0749d0b69d66162a3.jpg

Here is my growing collection.
My recommendations are :
Kanger subbox, evic vtc mini, vaporesso target. Subbox is Lil outdated in functions.

Odesláno z mého LG-D855 pomocí Tapatalk
Thanks! I like that little pen! Which one is that?

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just don't make my newbie misstep. I started with a cheap $20 piece of nothing, couldn't produce enough vapor and battery power to replace cigs. I went back to smoking for months until a friend said I needed a mid-level sub ohm rig. That did the trick, Aspire Pegasus then got an rx 200 which will vape 2 + days battery life running low wattage of 30. That did it for me and haven't looked back. As far as cost what is your health worth?
Good point. I'm liking this one but I'm still struggling with the juice. I want organic 100% VG and the two I've tried so far...ehh. Trying another brand but if I don't like that one then I'll try my hand at making my own!

marilyngurl22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You want to sell your unopened bottles?
If this is the case head below.

http://vapingunderground.com/forums/ejuice.66/
Thank you!
Marilyn your so pretty. I would to help you. All you need is start off with a solid starter kit. Aspire is a really good brand. So is joyetech

Thank you! I went with the iStick mini but I think I'm going to get another in a month or so. Thanks for the tip (and compliment!).

VU Sponsors